From: vinsci@NIC.FUNET.FI (Leonard Norrgard)
Newsgroups: bit.listserv.i-amiga
Subject: Re: ? PDC 3.34 & optimization
Date: 5 Jan 91 03:43:54 GMT

>Where is this port of GCC available?

By ftp from nic.funet.fi, look in the directory pub/amiga/gnu/gcc/port
for several subdirectories containing different ports. Output from ls
-lgR included below. Unless you have Manx C available you currently
will want the Burr-Rushing-Pigg port (BuRP for short :-) which you can
now use with the PDC libraries.

  NOTE1: None of the ports are what we consider release versions for
         Amiga GCC. The BuRP and Wild ports are pretty stable, but
         lacking in some areas. (Don't look for a debugger -- yet)

  NOTE2: As you can see from the listing below, the files you need to
         use a port are rather large. Please do not use mail-servers to
         retrieve the stuff unless you need this desperately and can't
         get anyone with ftp access to fetch it for you. When the port
         is finished (later this year), it will released to several
         places, including the fish disks. Full source is of course
         available.

>How does it compare to the >commercial compilers such as SAS/C?

You mean how SAS/C compares to GCC? Well, SAS/C is more adapted to the
Amiga, it is smaller (the compiler, not the output). On the other hand
most larger projects from the unix world can not be compiled by SAS/C.
To do anything real with GCC you will need at least 2.5Mb RAM and a
harddisk.
  Projects underway by the members of the porting group include Kyoto
Common Lisp (full version), G++, GDB, X11R4 (will take time) and surely
others as well.

-- Leonard

nic.funet.fi:~pub/amiga/gnu/gcc/port:ls -lgR:

total 260
drwxrwxr-x  2 vinsci   ftp           512 Jan  3 04:29 Antonishek
drwxrwxr-x  2 vinsci   ftp           512 Jan  3 17:02 Burr-Rushing-Pigg
-rw-rw-r--  1 vinsci   ftp          1017 Aug 28 09:16 PROJECT
-rw-rw-r--  1 vinsci   ftp           510 Aug 28 09:15 README
drwxrwxr-x  2 vinsci   ftp           512 Jan  3 05:55 Wild
-rw-rw-r--  1 vinsci   ftp         14842 Aug 25 00:50 arc.amiga-gcc-info
-rw-rw-r--  1 vinsci   ftp        224964 Jan  2 08:44 arc.amiga-gcc-port
        "arc.amiga-gcc-port" is an archive file that gets updated
        each time someone posts something on the working group's
        mailing list.
drwxrwxrwx  2 vinsci   ftp           512 Dec 28 17:46 incoming
        Anything in this directory is not accessible, usually is moved
        to the correct place within days.

Antonishek:
total 60
-rw-rw-r--  1 vinsci   ftp         60953 Aug 29 05:23 ant-agcc.tar.Z

Burr-Rushing-Pigg:
total 1131
-rw-rw-r--  1 vinsci   ftp          1849 Jan  3 06:21 00readme.txt
-rw-rw-r--  1 vinsci   ftp          4559 Jan  3 06:21 acrt0.lzh
-rw-rw-r--  1 vinsci   ftp        435802 Oct 24 02:35 agcc901022.lzh
-rw-rw-r--  1 vinsci   ftp         16171 Jan  3 06:22 agcc_incl_901220.lzh
-rw-rw-r--  1 vinsci   ftp         25110 Jan  3 06:26 agcc_lib_901220.lzh
-rw-rw-r--  1 vinsci   ftp        173303 Jan  3 06:25 agcc_libsrc_901220.lzh
-rw-rw-r--  1 vinsci   ftp        345871 Jan  3 06:34 cc1-68020.Z
-rw-rw-r--  1 vinsci   ftp          8791 Jan  3 06:26 gcc.doc
-rw-rw-r--  1 vinsci   ftp           860 Jan  3 06:26 important_readme
-rw-rw-r--  1 vinsci   ftp         29152 Jan  3 06:27 lharc
-rw-rw-r--  1 vinsci   ftp         28414 Jan  3 06:27 lharc.doc
-rw-rw-r--  1 vinsci   ftp         40232 Jan  3 06:28 lharc121.zoo

Wild:
total 1304
-rw-rw-r--  1 vinsci   ftp         44032 Dec 28 17:38 ar901227.lzh
-rw-rw-r--  1 vinsci   ftp        497950 Oct  5 17:08 gcc00901002.lzh
-rw-rw-r--  1 vinsci   ftp        455158 Sep  8 21:55 gcc090880.lzh
-rw-rw-r--  1 vinsci   ftp        236334 Oct 20 15:46 ld901019.lzh
-rw-rw-r--  1 vinsci   ftp         33912 Jan  3 05:55 ld910101.lzh
-rw-rw-r--  1 vinsci   ftp         35723 Oct  5 17:08 s2m1001.lzh

*THAT'S ALL!*

fmcphers@VTTCF.CC.VT.EDU (Frank McPherson) (01/10/91)

I'm trying to get the newest version (agcc901022.lzh) of gcc set up on the
Amiga 3000 right now.  I'm having problems.  First, there is a file, amiga.lib,
which I don't have, nor have I been able to find it.  Where can I get it?
When gcc says it needs the amiga include files, which ones are those?
Specically, a line from the gcc setup file says,
; COMPILER-HEADERS: is where the Amiga system includes are.
Where do I get THOSE?
Lastly, at least for now, why, when I attempt to run gcc on the following
simple program

main()
{
 printf("Good Morning!\n");
}
, does GCC completely lock my computer?  The screen goes blank, my monitor
even starts to whine.  I have the stack set to the 131072 bytes they recommend.

Thanks for any help!

-- Frank McPherson                  INTERNET: fmcphers@vttcf.cc.vt.edu --

kevin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Kevin Klop) (01/11/91)

In article <9101100202.AA139209@vttcf.cc.vt.edu> fmcphers@VTTCF.CC.VT.EDU (Frank McPherson) writes:
>I'm trying to get the newest version (agcc901022.lzh) of gcc set up on the
>Amiga 3000 right now.  I'm having problems.  First, there is a file, amiga.lib,
>which I don't have, nor have I been able to find it.  Where can I get it?
>When gcc says it needs the amiga include files, which ones are those?
>Specically, a line from the gcc setup file says,
>; COMPILER-HEADERS: is where the Amiga system includes are.
>Where do I get THOSE?
>Lastly, at least for now, why, when I attempt to run gcc on the following
>simple program
>
>main()
>{
> printf("Good Morning!\n");
>}
>, does GCC completely lock my computer?  The screen goes blank, my monitor
>even starts to whine.  I have the stack set to the 131072 bytes they recommend.
>
>Thanks for any help!
>
>-- Frank McPherson                  INTERNET: fmcphers@vttcf.cc.vt.edu --

AMIGA.LIB is available from CATS (Commodore Amiga Technical Services) and
also comes with lattice and Manx compilers.  It contains stubs for the
various OS routines that are detailed in the Rom Kernel Manuals.

Dunno why GCC locks up on you.  Sounds like a pretty hard crash to me.  My
first guess is that GCC is missing something it needs to link to.
			-- Kevin --

pepers@enme3.ucalgary.ca (Brad Pepers) (01/12/91)

The amiga.lib file should come with the PDC distribution. I think its
their own reverse engineered AMIGA.LIB that C= sends out. I also had
my hello world program crash. It eventually turned out that my acrt0.o
(or something like that) file was bad. Its size was smaller than the one
used by other people that had GCC working. So I got the PDC asm source
for it and compiled it with A68k. The resulting .o was the right size and
no more crashes!

So give it a try!

    Brad Pepers

In article <1991Jan11.220207.5131@cpsc.ucalgary.ca> pepers@enme3.UUCP (Brad Pepers) writes:

>The amiga.lib file should come with the PDC distribution. I think its
>their own reverse engineered AMIGA.LIB that C= sends out. I also had

	amiga.lib C is copyright CBM. Manx and SAS both have to
pay Commodore for the right to distribute it and the Amiga
include files.
	-- Ethan

	"Don't forget the importance of the family. It begins
with the family. We're not going to redefine the family.
Everybody knows the definition of the family. ... A child. ... A
mother. ... A father. There are other arrangements of the family,
but that is a family and family values."

	-- Dan Quayle, of course. Our beloved Vice President.
	It's just too easy!

vinsci@nic.funet.fi (Leonard Norrgard) (01/13/91)

In article <1991Jan12.214301.10882@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>In article <1991Jan11.220207.5131@cpsc.ucalgary.ca> pepers@enme3.UUCP (Brad Pepers) writes:
>>
>>The amiga.lib file should come with the PDC distribution. I think its
>>their own reverse engineered AMIGA.LIB that C= sends out. I also had
>  amiga.lib C is copyright CBM. Manx and SAS both have to
>pay Commodore for the right to distribute it and the Amiga
>include files.

The *generation* of the PDC Amiga.lib is OK. The distribution of the
result publicly is not necessarily OK (unless they check that the
receiver also is the owner of an Amiga Extras disk), as it clearly is
a derived work of the AmigaBasic .fd files as found on every Extras
disk. The distribution of a program that creates an amiga.lib from the
same files is perfectly legit, though.
  Of couse, I'm no lawyer.

> -- Ethan

-- Leonard

dillon@overload.Berkeley.CA.US (Matthew Dillon) (01/14/91)

In article <VINSCI.91Jan13145752@nic.nic.funet.fi> vinsci@nic.funet.fi (Leonard Norrgard) writes:
>In article <1991Jan12.214301.10882@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>>In article <1991Jan11.220207.5131@cpsc.ucalgary.ca> pepers@enme3.UUCP (Brad Pepers) writes:
>>>
>>>The amiga.lib file should come with the PDC distribution. I think its
>>>their own reverse engineered AMIGA.LIB that C= sends out. I also had
>>  amiga.lib C is copyright CBM. Manx and SAS both have to
>>pay Commodore for the right to distribute it and the Amiga
>>include files.
>
>The *generation* of the PDC Amiga.lib is OK. The distribution of the
>result publicly is not necessarily OK (unless they check that the
>receiver also is the owner of an Amiga Extras disk), as it clearly is
>a derived work of the AmigaBasic .fd files as found on every Extras
>disk. The distribution of a program that creates an amiga.lib from the
>same files is perfectly legit, though.
>  Of couse, I'm no lawyer.

    If it is generated from scratch from the FD files, with other incidental
    routines written by the PDC people, then it is publically distributable.

    If it is the commodore-supplied amiga.lib, then it is not.

    MANX, SAS, Myself (DICE), and a few other people have licensed the
    amiga includes and amiga.lib from Commodore but we cannot distribute
    them publically either, only as part of a product.

>> -- Ethan
>
>-- Leonard

				    -Matt

--

    Matthew Dillon	    dillon@Overload.Berkeley.CA.US
    891 Regal Rd.	    uunet.uu.net!overload!dillon