[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Correct Amiga Assembly Programming Techniques

akcs.shaulp@tronsbox.xei.com (Shaul Peleg) (12/26/90)

 I am slowly re-entering the world of assembly programming and am confronted
with 2 different methods to program graphics on the Amiga in assembly.

 I have books that deal directly with the copper and those that deal with
the graphics library in ROM.

 Besides the fact that my programs will probably not be compatible with the
new Amigas (I use a 500 with 1.3 and old chipset), will the speed difference
really affect me? In assembly?

 Thanks

Paul.Fife@p0.f178.n221.z1.fidonet.org (Paul Fife) (12/27/90)

If you write to the hardware (in assembly) the program will be faster
(mabye not noticablely - i haven't tried to find the difference) The

majority ( if not all) of the graphics.library functions are written
in C as well as being multipurpose while what you write will be more
specific. My suggestion is to try it with a few situations both ways
and see what you need to do.

                                                Paul Fife

--
Paul Fife - via FidoNet node 1:221/171
UUCP    : watmath!xenitec!zswamp!178.0!Paul.Fife

sjorr@sunee.waterloo.edu (Stephen Orr) (12/31/90)

In article <6579.277D75B3@zswamp.fidonet.org> Paul.Fife@p0.f178.n221.z1.fidonet.org (Paul Fife) writes:
>If you write to the hardware (in assembly) the program will be faster
>(mabye not noticablely - i haven't tried to find the difference) The
>majority ( if not all) of the graphics.library functions are written
>in C as well as being multipurpose while what you write will be more
>specific. My suggestion is to try it with a few situations both ways
>and see what you need to do.

Only one suggestion here. Think about the longevity of your code. If
you decide to code for that little extra bit of speed, and by-pass the
graphics library, then what happens if/when Commodore starts supporting
'alternate display devices'. For instance, if/when the OS supports things
like the UofLowell card under AmigaDOS, a call to BlitBitMap() will
be diverted by the graphics library to and equivalent call for the ULowell
card. IE: the OS will take care of it.

If on the other hand you code directly to the Blitter, the Lowell Card or
whatever most likely won't see what you are doing. This may not be
important to your application I don't know, but in many cases, like
word processing or spreadsheets, or DTP, it is essential to do as much
as possible to stay inside the OS.

								Stephen Orr
								SandIsoft

cmg996@cck.cov.ac.uk (Martin-Martin Nike) (01/15/91)

In article <27779b76-c01comp.sys.amiga.tech@tronsbox.xei.com> akcs.shaulp@tronsbox.xei.com (Shaul Peleg) writes:
!
! I am slowly re-entering the world of assembly programming and am confronted
!with 2 different methods to program graphics on the Amiga in assembly.
!
! I have books that deal directly with the copper and those that deal with
!the graphics library in ROM.
!
! Besides the fact that my programs will probably not be compatible with the
!new Amigas (I use a 500 with 1.3 and old chipset), will the speed difference
!really affect me? In assembly?
!
! Thanks

I started using the Library routines for graphics , but they where
to slow.

The speed difference will affect you , but it depends what you want.
I wanted lots of graphics along with smooth scrolling all in one
display.For this the Rom routines where useless.

--
Martin-Martin Nike ,Coventry Polytechnic,England
JANET:cmg996@uk.ac.coventry

In article <1991Jan14.101649.9785@cck.cov.ac.uk> csg019@cck.cov.ac.uk (-~=Zaphod=~-) writes:
!In article <27779b76-c01comp.sys.amiga.tech@tronsbox.xei.com! akcs.shaulp@tronsbox.xei.com (Shaul Peleg) writes:
!!
!! I am slowly re-entering the world of assembly programming and am confronted
!!with 2 different methods to program graphics on the Amiga in assembly.
!!
!! I have books that deal directly with the copper and those that deal with
!!the graphics library in ROM.
!!
!! Besides the fact that my programs will probably not be compatible with the
!!new Amigas (I use a 500 with 1.3 and old chipset), will the speed difference
!!really affect me? In assembly?
!Yeah there is a *BIG* speed difference, if you want a larf, have a go with
!some of the gfx.library's bob functions. (Go for a cuppa when you sort a bob
!list.)
!

Better still , try scrolling a viewport ... The colour flickering
is rather amazing !