[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Finding 2.0 Programming documentation

a976@mindlink.UUCP (Ron Tarrant) (01/03/91)

> don@brahms.udel.edu writes:
>

>         Any help, suggestions, reasonably documented example code, etc., will
> be happily accepted.
>
>         Thanks

Well, I can't help you with 2.0 examples, but I can tell you this:
The Fred Fish Freely-redistributable software collection (over 400 disks) is a
great source for source code (please forgive the pun :-)
I have 35 disks full of stuff I've pulled off those disks (and some other
places, too) and they are an invaluable aid to learning.
Something else you might want to check out is the Amiga C Manual. It's a
three-disk set of examples and should be available at an FTP site near you. I
don't know what an FTP site is so I can't help you find one or figure out how
to access it.
-Ron Tarrant
a976@Mindlink.UUCP

don@brahms.udel.edu (Donald R Lloyd) (01/03/91)

     No doubt it's been asked before, but where might I be able to find some
documentation on taking advantage of the new 2.0 features?  I never did much
under 1.3 because things like opening windows, etc, looked a bit complex.
From the little bit of source I've looked at of 2.0-specific software (PSX
and ToolManager), it looks as if things have gotten easier (of course, that
may also be due to the fact that I've relearned C since the last time I
tried doing any non-CLI-based intuition programming under 1.3), but
I can't get too far on only two examples.
	Anyway, I've got a little bit of free time (I hope) coming up, and I
figure now's a good time to start doing some Amiga-secific programming.
So, for those who haven't guessed my question by now, where might I find
some documentation for 2.0?  I'm using SAS 5.10 (my 5.10A was supposed to
be in the mail several weeks ago, but...).  I have the 1.3 Includes &
Autodocs RKM, several generic C books, and just the above-mentioned source
listings to learn from.
	I know of the existence of the DevCon notes, but apparently you've got
to be a developer and pay extra to get them... too expensive of a proposition
for me at this point.  How soon might I hope to see 2.0 RKMs?  I imagine
it'll be a while, since 2.0 itself isn't set in stone yet.
	It'd probably also be useful for me to find a decent book on Amiga
programming in general, to get some kind of idea what exactly terms like
IDCMP, BPTR, messages, etc. are supposed to mean to me.  My programming
experience thus far has been mostly generic C and Modula-II; that's apparently
all I'll get from school until I start taking grad-level classes (the
exception, I hope, being the Op Systems class next semester...)

	One question someone might answer for me which could probably be
very helpful in deciphering code... what exactly is a tag?  It's not
something I've run across before.  What is its function, and how is it stored?

--
  Gibberish             Amiga 3000 owner/fanatic
  is spoken             Contact don@brahms.udel.edu for more information.

fnf@fishpond.uucp (Fred Fish) (01/13/91)

In article <4314@mindlink.UUCP> a976@mindlink.UUCP (Ron Tarrant) writes:
>Well, I can't help you with 2.0 examples, but I can tell you this:
>The Fred Fish Freely-redistributable software collection (over 400 disks) is a
>great source for source code (please forgive the pun :-)

People have been asking why I don't have more WB2.0 specific examples
available.  The answer of course, is that nobody has sent any in.  Anyone
with source examples is encouraged to submit them...

-Fred
--
# Fred Fish, 1835 E. Belmont Drive, Tempe, AZ 85284,  USA
# 1-602-491-0048               asuvax!mcdphx!fishpond!fnf

SteveX@omx.UUCP (Steve Tibbett) (01/18/91)

In article <1991Jan12.165058.18826@fishpond.uucp> fnf@fishpond.uucp (Fred Fish) writes:
>People have been asking why I don't have more WB2.0 specific examples
>available.  The answer of course, is that nobody has sent any in.  Anyone
>with source examples is encouraged to submit them...

A few of the things I've done recently (PSX, AddTools, AppIconX (done
but not distributed yet) come with source, and make good 2.0 programming
examples - feel free to use 'em.  (How about a 2.0-specific disk?  That
would make non-2.0 people happy, and I think there is probably enough 2.0
specific stuff to fill a disk).

2.0 (or A3000-specific) stuff from my BBS:

starblnkrs.lzh       25776 25-Dec-90 2.0 Commodities/GadTools screen blanker
wshupd.lzh            6782 25-Dec-90 ConMan update for 2.0 compatability
winman.lzh            8446 09-Dec-90 Window manipulator, goes on Tools menu
psx.lzh              19638 09-Dec-90 Public screen manager, for 2.0 only
slist.lzh             3072 09-Dec-90 List system structures, like Wack
pubscrns.lzh         12753 09-Dec-90 Yet another Public Screen manager
iff2src.lzh          18205 09-Dec-90 2.0-only IFF Image to C Source converter
AddTools11.LZH        8368 04-Dec-90 Add items to the Workbench tools menu
Cxmoff.lzh            6272 03-Dec-90 Turns off mouse after so many keystrokes
memoration.lzh        2689 23-Oct-90 Memory Rationing, for low mem testing
battmem.zoo           5960 18-Oct-90 Preferences editor for A3000 Battmem
newalert.zoo         10862 13-Oct-90 Replacement ALERTS for 2.0 - Text descr
SetWB.LZH             6385 13-Oct-90 Workbench 2.0 Workbench Manipulator
BootCache.LZH         6591 13-Oct-90 Bootblock to turn off 68020/030 cache
wb2hacks.lzh          6668 09-Aug-90 Icon Remapper and a new Clock Pointer
kickreboot.lzh        4074 28-Jul-90 Adds a COLD Kickstart boot to 3000 Tools
Starburst.LZH         1712 28-Jul-90 Enables the '*' wildcards in ADos 2.0
SetNoClick.LZH        4848 28-Jul-90 Set the 'NoClick' bit on 2.0 trackdisk

(If anybody sees any 2.0/A3000 specific item that I don't have, please
send it to me or let me know where I can get it - I'm trying to keep that
section of my BBS as up to date as possible).

--
   ...Steve Tibbett...bix=s.tibbett...Plink=STEVEX...BBS=613-731-3419...
              ...VirusX=4.01...Insert Disclaimer Here...