[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Redirecting printer to a file.

hps@ws-hps.INEL.GOV (Randall M. Heaps) (01/18/91)

I am interested in being able to capture the printer port and redirect
it to a file.  In other words make the info going to the printer be
saved in a file instead.  Are there and utils for this, or is there a
simple Prefs or AmigaDOS command that I missed along the way?  Any hints
or tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Randy Heaps (email at hps@inel.gov)

========== long legal disclaimer follows, press n to skip ===========

Neither the United States Government or the Idaho National Engineering
Laboratory or any of their employees, makes any warranty, whatsoever,
implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility regarding any
information, disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe
privately owned rights.  No specific reference constitutes or implies
endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by the United States
Government or the Idaho National Engineering Laboratory.  The views and
opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect those of the
United States Government or the Idaho National Engineering Laboratory,
and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.

rusty@steelmill.cs.umd.edu (Rusty Haddock) (01/18/91)

In article <1991Jan17.163218.10885@inel.gov> hps@ws-hps.INEL.GOV (Randall M. Heaps) writes:
   >I am interested in being able to capture the printer port and redirect
   >it to a file.  In other words make the info going to the printer be
   >saved in a file instead.  Are there and utils for this, or is there a
   >simple Prefs or AmigaDOS command that I missed along the way?  Any hints
   >or tips would be greatly appreciated.
   >Thanks,
   >Randy Heaps (email at hps@inel.gov)

Try using CMD off the 1.3 Extras disk.  It can capture either single
shot or continuously anything that get sent to PRT:.

		-Rusty-
--
Rusty Haddock / CompSci Dept		DOMAIN:	rusty@mimsy.cs.umd.edu
University of Maryland		PATH:	{uunet,rutgers}!mimsy!rusty

In article <1991Jan17.163218.10885@inel.gov> hps@ws-hps.INEL.GOV (Randall M. Heaps) writes:
>I am interested in being able to capture the printer port and redirect
>it to a file.  In other words make the info going to the printer be
>saved in a file instead.  Are there and utils for this, or is there a
>simple Prefs or AmigaDOS command that I missed along the way?  Any hints
>or tips would be greatly appreciated.

If the software doesn't write directly to the port hardware, you
can use the program CMD found on every Workbench since 1.3.