[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Amiga SLIP/Ka9Q/NOS. Status/files.

mcr@Latour.Sandelman.OCUnix.On.Ca (Michael Richardson) (01/06/91)

  I've had some luck using the AmigaNOS program. It would appear to be a port
of 'NOS' (network operating system?), which was an enhancement of Ka9q, the
original packet radio SLIP program for PC clones.

  I believe that someone else asked this before, a couple of weeks ago,
I'm asking again:
  Does anyone have the 'socket.h' file required to compile it?
  It would appear that there are no files ending with names beyond
'n' (as if the person that archived the files did:
  'lharc a amiganos19 *'  from a shell that expanded the wildcard,
to be chopped by a not-always-competent OS.

  If there is interest, I'd like to start a mailing list of people
interesting in doing SLIP with the Amiga. If you are interested,
please contact me via email, and if I get enough responses I'll
set up the mailing list.

  My hope is to eventually come up with a SANA compatible packet
driver.

--
   :!mcr!:            |  The postmaster never | - Pay attention only
   Michael Richardson |    resolves twice.    | to _MY_ opinions. -

peterk@foetus.syd.sgi.oz.au (Peter Kerney) (01/07/91)

From article <1991Jan5.211328.27288@Latour.Sandelman.OCUnix.On.Ca>, by mcr@Latour.Sandelman.OCUnix.On.Ca (Michael Richardson):

>   I've had some luck using the AmigaNOS program. It would appear to be a port
> of 'NOS' (network operating system?), which was an enhancement of Ka9q, the
> original packet radio SLIP program for PC clones.
>
>   I believe that someone else asked this before, a couple of weeks ago,
> I'm asking again:
>   Does anyone have the 'socket.h' file required to compile it?

It was me, I confess. I found out that the rev that you have is an old rev
and that there is a newer rev somewhere on a machine whose name end with ".fi"
I'm sorry I cant remember the name.
I got it and it compiles fine.
Now to get some time to work on it.

PeterK.

--
Peter Kerney. Silicon Graphics, Sydney, Australia. (peterk@syd.sgi.oz.au)

If you can't have an IRIS at home,
have the next best thing, an Amiga !!!

vinsci@nic.funet.fi (Leonard Norrgard) (01/07/91)

>   I've had some luck using the AmigaNOS program. It would appear to be a port
> of 'NOS' (network operating system?), which was an enhancement of Ka9q, the
> original packet radio SLIP program for PC clones.
>
>   I believe that someone else asked this before, a couple of weeks ago,
> I'm asking again:
>   Does anyone have the 'socket.h' file required to compile it?

It is included in the file below, on nic.funet.fi:

Directory: ~pub/ham/amiga/amiganos

-rw-r--r--  1 vinsci   ftp        611874 Dec  8 20:51 amiganos-900418.zoo

If your distribution doesn't contain `socket.h' it is probably old or
otherwise weird, so I don't see any meaning in just extracting the
file in question. Get it all. There are some other files too in
~pub/ham/amiga..., but don't ask me what they are, ham-radio is not
among my current hobbies...

-- Leonard

kenk@algedi.UUCP (.) (01/10/91)

>In article <VINSCI.91Jan7030316@nic.nic.funet.fi> vinsci@nic.funet.fi (Leonard Norrgard) writes:
>
>It is included in the file below, on nic.funet.fi:
>
>Directory: ~pub/ham/amiga/amiganos
>
>-rw-r--r--  1 vinsci   ftp        611874 Dec  8 20:51 amiganos-900418.zoo

I know of at least two AmigaNos versions. One from Louis Mamakos, and
a later version based on it from G1YYH. The G1YYH version is V1.9 and
is the most stable of the two.

Which version is on nic.funet.fi?

Followups to the NEW comp.sys.amiga.datacomm

--
Ken Koster (N7IPB)     algedi!kenk@pilchuck.Data-IO.COM or
14146 73rd PL NE, #201 ...uunet!pilchuck!algedi!kenk

tessier@bmerh185.BNR.CA (Daniel Tessier) (01/18/91)

In article <1991Jan5.211328.27288@Latour.Sandelman.OCUnix.On.Ca>,
mcr@Latour.Sandelman.OCUnix.On.Ca (Michael Richardson) writes:

|>  I've had some luck using the AmigaNOS program. It would appear to be a port
|>of 'NOS' (network operating system?), which was an enhancement of Ka9q, the
|>original packet radio SLIP program for PC clones.
|>
|>  I believe that someone else asked this before, a couple of weeks ago,
|>I'm asking again:
|>  Does anyone have the 'socket.h' file required to compile it?
|>  It would appear that there are no files ending with names beyond
|>'n' (as if the person that archived the files did:
|>  'lharc a amiganos19 *'  from a shell that expanded the wildcard,
|>to be chopped by a not-always-competent OS.
|>
|>  If there is interest, I'd like to start a mailing list of people
|>interesting in doing SLIP with the Amiga. If you are interested,
|>please contact me via email, and if I get enough responses I'll
|>set up the mailing list.
|>
|>  My hope is to eventually come up with a SANA compatible packet
|>driver.
|>
|>--
|>   :!mcr!:            |  The postmaster never | - Pay attention only
|>   Michael Richardson |    resolves twice.    | to _MY_ opinions. -
|> HOME: mcr@sandelman.ocunix.on.ca +   Small Ottawa nodes contact me
|> Bell: (613) 237-5629             +    about joining ocunix.on.ca!
I have sent mail to the above address, but I haven't gotten a reply yet,
so I decided to post it.

would be interested in joining ocunix.on.ca.

Thanks,
Dan Tessier.
| Dan Tessier                  PHONE : (613)765-2380        |
| Bell-Northern Research, Ltd. BITNET: tessier@bnr.ca       |
| Ottawa, Ontario, Canada      UUCP  : ...!uunet!bnrgate    |
|                                         !bmerh185!tessier |