[comp.sys.amiga.tech] TCP/IP FTP

martin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Martin Hunt) (01/16/91)

In article <1991Jan15.153348.21189@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> yurkon@CYCVAX.NSCL.MSU.EDU writes:
>I am using TCP/IP from Commodore on my A3000.  I have a problem connecting to
>a site that is not listed in our local hosts file.  I can connect to it from
>our vax, but when I try from my Amiga I get a "network unreachable" message.
>I have used both the number and also tried adding it to the hosts file.  I am
>trying to reach ab20.larc.nasa.gov.  All the sites that are in the hosts file
>seem to be reachable.  Any Ideas?
>
>	John

The problem is that your Amiga does not know about any networks beyond
the local one it is attached to.  You can tell it how to access other
networks by using the "route" command.  For example,

route add default vax 1

tells your Amiga to try connecting to unknown networks through machine
"vax"

route add net 7.0.0.0 vax 1

adds a route for network 7 throught "vax"

To check your current routes, type "netstat -r"

When connecting to ab20.larc.nasa.gov, you will either have to use the
internet number or enter the correct number in your Amiga's host table.
The reason for this is that the current TCP/IP software does not include
name service software.

Hope this helps.

Martin Hunt         Commodore-Amiga          martin@cbmvax.commodore.com

"Windows 3.0 is hot because it's really fun.  It has brought some
excitement back into the PC industry" - Microsoft
I wonder who took the excitement out in the first place?

steve@cpoint.clearpoint.com (Stephen Steir) (01/16/91)

In article <17618@cbmvax.commodore.com> martin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Martin Hunt) writes:

>When connecting to ab20.larc.nasa.gov, you will either have to use the
>internet number or enter the correct number in your Amiga's host table.
>The reason for this is that the current TCP/IP software does not include
>name service software.
>
>Martin Hunt         Commodore-Amiga          martin@cbmvax.commodore.com

Martin, Will Commodore's TCP/IP support name servers and remote logins from
other hosts in the future?

Steve Steir - Clearpoint Research Corp., 35 Parkwood Dr., Hopkinton, Ma. 01748
UUCP: steve@cpoint.clearpoint.com     ATT: (508) 435-2000      BIX: clearpoint

yurkon@CYCVAX.NSCL.MSU.EDU (01/17/91)

In article <17618@cbmvax.commodore.com>, martin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Martin Hunt) writes...

>The problem is that your Amiga does not know about any networks beyond
>the local one it is attached to.  You can tell it how to access other
>networks by using the "route" command.  For example,
>
>route add default vax 1
>
>tells your Amiga to try connecting to unknown networks through machine
>"vax"
>
>route add net 7.0.0.0 vax 1
>
>adds a route for network 7 throught "vax"
>
>To check your current routes, type "netstat -r"
>
>When connecting to ab20.larc.nasa.gov, you will either have to use the
>internet number or enter the correct number in your Amiga's host table.
>The reason for this is that the current TCP/IP software does not include
>name service software.
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>Martin Hunt         Commodore-Amiga          martin@cbmvax.commodore.com

Using route add default merit-gw.msu.edu worked.  Thanks.  After reading the
manual a little closer, and looking at other UNIX machines here it appears that
the router daemon should handle the router tables even if one is not a router.
I suspect that I do not have the broadcast and subnet mask set correctly.  All
that should happen when I run routed is that it will only find one interface and
not supply routing information.  At least that is all that was necessary to get
the other machines to build their router tables.

What is gateway in the inet.config file used for?

	John     NSCL		YURKON@msunscl.bitnet

martin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Martin Hunt) (01/17/91)

In article <10231@cpoint.clearpoint.com> steve@cpoint.clearpoint.com (Stephen Steir) writes:
>In article <17618@cbmvax.commodore.com> martin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Martin Hunt) writes:
>>
>>When connecting to ab20.larc.nasa.gov, you will either have to use the
>>internet number or enter the correct number in your Amiga's host table.
>>The reason for this is that the current TCP/IP software does not include
>>name service software.
>>
>>Martin Hunt         Commodore-Amiga          martin@cbmvax.commodore.com
>>

>Martin, Will Commodore's TCP/IP support name servers and remote logins from
>other hosts in the future?

I can't really comment on anything that may be released in the future.

I'm not sure that remote logins are useful.  What do you want to do with
them?  We don't have a remote windowing system or a multiuser OS, so
I'm not sure why you need this.  You can already send commands to remote
Amigas with the rsh command.  I use this extensively to have CygnusEd
and QED edit all my mail and news files, regardless of which Amiga I
am currently on.

steve@cpoint.clearpoint.com (Stephen Steir) (01/18/91)

In article <17696@cbmvax.commodore.com> martin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Martin Hunt) writes:
>In article <10231@cpoint.clearpoint.com> steve@cpoint.clearpoint.com (Stephen Steir) writes:

>>Martin, Will Commodore's TCP/IP support name servers and remote logins from
>>other hosts in the future?
>
>I can't really comment on anything that may be released in the future.
>
>I'm not sure that remote logins are useful.  What do you want to do with
>them?  We don't have a remote windowing system or a multiuser OS, so
>I'm not sure why you need this.  You can already send commands to remote
>Amigas with the rsh command.  I use this extensively to have CygnusEd
>and QED edit all my mail and news files, regardless of which Amiga I
>am currently on.

From time to time I am off-site and wish to make a few changes to code,
re-compile and transfer the image.  You are right, however, in pointing out
that I can do all that with rsh.  Rlogins would "just be nice to have".

On another subject, we would like to dedicate an Amiga as a company mail
bridge between our VMS and UNIX machines.  I have the Syndesis decnet
implementation (with mail capabilities "coming soon").  Is there any way
to pull this off?