[comp.sys.amiga.tech] G++ port

ben@epmooch.UUCP (Rev. Ben A. Mesander) (01/24/91)

>In article <42682@nigel.ee.udel.edu> amiga-relay@ee.udel.edu writes:
>From: Tyler Sarna <tsarna@polar.bowdoin.edu>
>
>In <ben.4590@epmooch.UUCP> "Rev. Ben A. Mesander" <epmooch!ben>
>wrote:
>
>> >In article <38328@cup.portal.com> Lee_Robert_Willis@cup.portal.com writes:
>> >Regarding the ongoing effort to port g++ to the Amiga:  What is involved in
>> >porting this code beyond simply running it through an Amiga C compiler?
>>
>> 1) Getting an Amiga C compiler to not choke on code that complex.
>
>Well, gcc must be able to deal with G++...
>
>> 2) Getting Amiga object files out of g++ instead of UNIX object files.
>
>...and a tool is already provided to do this with amiga gcc, so
>what is involved besides recompiling with amiga gcc (like Lee
>I'm just curious, not being critical here).

Hmm. The current tool to do this is not really an ideal solution. It seems
to output one big data and one big code chunk (like BLINK's smallcode and
smalldata). This makes it pretty hard to load huge executables (like gcc
or gas or g++) if you have a small amount of memory (like me - I have 2.5
megs). The Amiga GCC port is definitely beta software. It's workable, but
not easily. It chews up 100K of stack, and if it needs more - fireworks, my
Amiga crashes and burns. The library isn't real big yet - I'm not sure of
the library issues involved with G++.

The good news is that the reason GCC was ported to the Amiga was so that
projects like G++ are possible! I'd hold out for GCC 2.0, which includes
C++ and Objective C front-ends, which is currently being worked on by the
Amiga GCC porting team.

--
| ben@epmooch.UUCP   (Ben Mesander)       | "Cash is more important than |
| ben%servalan.UUCP@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu |  your mother." - Al Shugart, |

amiga-relay@ee.udel.edu (01/25/91)

From: Tyler Sarna <tsarna@polar.bowdoin.edu>

wrote:

> >In article <38328@cup.portal.com> Lee_Robert_Willis@cup.portal.com writes:
> >Regarding the ongoing effort to port g++ to the Amiga:  What is involved in
> >porting this code beyond simply running it through an Amiga C compiler?
>
> 1) Getting an Amiga C compiler to not choke on code that complex.

Well, gcc must be able to deal with G++...

> 2) Getting Amiga object files out of g++ instead of UNIX object files.

...and a tool is already provided to do this with amiga gcc, so
what is involved besides recompiling with amiga gcc (like Lee
I'm just curious, not being critical here).

     /// Tyler "Ty" Sarna            E-Mail: tsarna@polar.bowdoin.edu
 \\\///     "I think cement is more interesting than people think"