[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Removable Harddrive help

jal@pandora.cs.wayne.edu (Jason Leigh) (01/27/91)

Hi, I have an A2000 with GVP's 3001 accelerator and SCSI controller
hooked up to a SyQuest removable drive system.

At work we are running from an A2500 with the same Syquest drive using
Commodore's A2091 (although I suspect we really have the A2090).  The
problem is I can't format disks using the GVP program that is readable
by the A2500.  I can however format disks on the A2500 and have them
readable on my A2000.

Also sometimes I experience a freeze of the machine when I'm copying a
large # of files from the Syquest to the internal drive on the A2500.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
:^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) ;^)   O^: (^: (^: (^: (^: (^: (^: (^:
:^)  Where the telescope ends, the microscope begins.		  (^:

In article <1991Jan27.043645.5054@cs.wayne.edu> jal@pandora.cs.wayne.edu (Jason Leigh) writes:

>Hi, I have an A2000 with GVP's 3001 accelerator and SCSI controller
>hooked up to a SyQuest removable drive system.
>
>At work we are running from an A2500 with the same Syquest drive using
>Commodore's A2091 (although I suspect we really have the A2090).  The
>problem is I can't format disks using the GVP program that is readable
>by the A2500.  I can however format disks on the A2500 and have them
>readable on my A2000.

	That sounds like a difference in the implementations of the
RigidDiskBlock spec.  I'll try to track down what it is with GVP.

>Also sometimes I experience a freeze of the machine when I'm copying a
>large # of files from the Syquest to the internal drive on the A2500.

	Make sure you have reselection turned off when you set up (HDToolBox)
the disks.  See the articles I've published here before.  When the ROMs
are available you'll want to upgrade the 2091.

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
The compiler runs
Like a swift-flowing river
I wait in silence.  (From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)

rwm@atronx.OCUnix.On.Ca (Russell McOrmond) (01/30/91)

In a message posted on 28 Jan 91 23:04:54 GMT,
jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com (Randell Jesup) wrote:
RJ>	Make sure you have reselection turned off when you set up (HDToolBox)
RJ>the disks.  See the articles I've published here before.  When the ROMs
RJ>are available you'll want to upgrade the 2091.

Or the nasty 'Hardware Type Person' way and Switch the SCSI chip with an older
controller (IE: 2090a) that isn't being used at the moment, and keep the new
chip for when the New Roms come out.  (P.S.  Obviously this works : We needed to
do this for a customer that insisted on having the Speed, as well as having a
RICHO drive and a 40M Quantum - Tested out perfectly with the old chip ..)

 I assume that the 6.1 ROMS aren't the 'updated', then??

RJ>Randell Jesup, Keeper of AmigaDos, Commodore Engineering.
RJ>{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
RJ>The compiler runs
RJ>Like a swift-flowing river
RJ>I wait in silence.  (From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)

---
  Opinions expressed in this message are my Own. I represent nobody else.
  Russell McOrmond   rwm@Atronx.OCUnix.On.Ca   {tigris,alzabo,...}!atronx!rwm
  FidoNet 1:163/109  Net Support: (613) 230-2282
  Amiga-Fidonet Support  1:1/109       Gateway for .Amiga.OCUnix.On.Ca