[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Amiga <--> AT Serial Connection

dlau@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (David Lau) (02/10/91)

I'm looking for an Amiga COM program which will allow me to
set up the following scenario:

   AT Clone  <------------------->  Amiga 1000
       |       Serial Connection
       |

       | AT Monitor
   +---------------------+
   | CLI Window -        |
   | serially connected  |
   | with the AT monitor |
   | and keyboard        |
   +---------------------+

In other words, an analagous environment can be achieved between 2 AT's by
using any terminal program on one side, and a terminal program on the other
side which allows "shelling out" to the dos environment (as in
Procomm+
connected to Procomm).

Is there such a program fo allt hanks.
Sal

tbissett@nstar.rn.com (Travis Bissett) (02/11/91)

dlau@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (David Lau) writes:

> I'm looking for an Amiga COM program which will allow me to
> set up the following scenario:
>
>    AT Clone  <------------------->  Amiga 1000
> In other words, an analagous environment can be achieved between 2 AT's by
> using any terminal program on one side, and a terminal program on the other

Hmmm . . . it sounds to me as if you want to do a remote access to your
Amiga environment. While there has been more development, I think, on doing
this from other Amigas, or form BSD unix workstations (cf. Dillon's DNET and
permutations such as PARNET) I think what you want can be accomplished. But
to answer your question more directly -- no, I don't personally know of an
Amiga comm program that will allow dos commands to be received and executed,
with the possible exception of AREXX commands. It seems to me that the folks
at SLAC were setting up their Amigas to execute commands from the IBM
mainframe via AREXX (almost what you seemed to want); I doubt any competent
programmer on the Amiga would have much trouble adding a shell feature to a
comm program -- so this rules me out but try to get ahold of Jack Radigan on
FIDO if not here; why even bother with a comm program on the Amiga if all
you want is access to AmigaDOS? Just use the AUX: device. Heck I'd set up my
Timex to be a remote terminal on my A1000 when AUX: was still a hack and not
officially supported (i.e. pre-WB1.3 days). Not much applicationwise to use
on it though. Nobody had ported applications that tolerated a dumb terminal
environment. I understand that it's a little better now with an Emacs and a
VI like editor available that won't try to open a window. Talk to the folks
at ASDG. Since they make multiple serial card addons for Amiga they may know
some things about what folks can do with 'em. So, bottom line: I've heard of
people setting up their Amiga via the AUX: device to permit "login" through
a modem -- same as from another PC. Let us know what you end up doing with
it, OK? Good luck.

--
internet: tbissett@nstar.rn.com -or- tbissett%nstar@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
uucp:     ..!uunet!nstar.rn.com!tbissett -or- ..!uunet!nstar!tbissett

terry@helios.ucsc.edu (Terry Ricketts) (02/12/91)

>> I'm looking for an Amiga COM program which will allow me to
>> set up the following scenario:
>>
>>    AT Clone  <------------------->  Amiga 1000
>> In other words, an analagous environment can be achieved between 2 AT's by
>> using any terminal program on one side, and a terminal program on the other

   I suspect that the program PLW (for phone line watcher) might do the job
you want. It is on some of the latest Fish disks. I don't know if it will
work via a direct connection, but it is worth a try.

| Terry Ricketts			|  Internet: terry@helios.ucsc.edu
| Senior Electronics Engineer		|  	     loel@helios.ucsc.edu
| Lick Observatory Electronics Lab	|  Phone:    408-459-2110
| University of Calif, Santa Cruz 	|

lhotka@incstar.uucp (02/13/91)

In article <16511@sdcc6.ucsd.edu>, dlau@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (David Lau) writes:
> I'm looking for an Amiga COM program which will allow me to
> set up the following scenario:
>
>    AT Clone  <------------------->  Amiga 1000
>
> In other words, an analagous environment can be achieved between 2 AT's by
> using any terminal program on one side, and a terminal program on the other
> side which allows "shelling out" to the dos environment (as in
> Procomm+
> connected to Procomm).
>
> Is there such a program fo allt hanks.
> Sal

Perhaps the AUX: device in the 1.3 enhancer stuff?  Alternately it appears
after a quick look through the new HandShake docs that you could combine
HandShake with AREXX and come up with a very nice system to do this.

Speaking of which, for those who haven't heard, HandShake-2.20c.lzh
is on ab20.larc.nasa.gov.
/ Rockford Lhotka				INCSTAR Corp	       \
| Applications Project Leader			1990 Industrial Blvd   |
| incstar!lhotka@uunet.uu.net         		PO Box 285             |
\ 612/779-1701					Stillwater, MN 55082   /
 -------------Amiga - The computer for the creative mind.--------------