[comp.sys.amiga.tech] A500 shutdown!

v139r563@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Brian R Talty) (03/19/91)

     I am having a problem with my Amiga 500. Sometimes
when i run certain software my screen blanks out. For
example, sometimes when I use Word Perfect I try to save
a document and as it is saving the screen turns to its
full background color, forcing me to reboot the system.
Although the document is saved it is a pain to keep
rebooting. Word Perfect isn't the only software it does
this on, so it is not the software itself. If anyone can
help please send e-mail.
                         Thanks, Brian

griffith@hpavla.avo.hp.com (Jeff Griffith) (03/26/91)

I've also noticed various forms of this problem; sometimes only the
screen goes blank (I've memorized the save seqeunce), other times the
entire system locks up (no gurus, no "ticking" when the disks are removed
and no way to save anything).  Personally, I've only noticed it when playing
Empire (version 2.03? from June '88) and I thought it was a bug in the game.
Usually, it happens about when the number of playing pieces is at a maximum
and conflict is extensive, but it always fails when I move or click the mouse.
Perhaps a system queue is getting trashed?

						Jeff Griffith

peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) (03/26/91)

In article <16970001@hpavla.avo.hp.com> griffith@hpavla.avo.hp.com (Jeff Griffith) writes:
>I've also noticed various forms of this problem; sometimes only the
>screen goes blank (I've memorized the save seqeunce),

One of the early Amiga viruses (Byte Bandit, I believe), had a habit
of blanking the screen.  I recommend you get ahold of a reliable virus
eradicator and go through your disk library.

Followups to comp.sys.amiga.programmer, since c.s.a.tech is an "obsolete"
group replaced by c.s.a.programmer.

>						Jeff Griffith
     Peter
--
Peter Cherna, Operating Systems Development Group, Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!peter    peter@cbmvax.commodore.com