[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Display enhancer with VGA-only Monitor

dbscoop2@bwdlh417.BNR.CA (Alun Fryer) (04/05/91)

I am currently using the display enhancer with a "Super-VGA" monitor
(you know the 800x600 non-interlaced, and 1024x768 interlaced ones), with no
problems.  The only thing I don't like is the fact that my monitor doesn't
have a horizontal width adjustment so I have about 1/2" of black
nothingness on either side of the image.  Of course to compensate for
this I put my workbench screen into 700pixel wide overscan and it looks
really pretty.  The only problem you will encounter is if you try to use
the ECS "Super-hires" mode (1280x200/400).  The card doen't sample the
pixels fast enough to get 1280 on one scan line, so it will only sample
every second on (giving you the 640-wide resolution).  The manual says
to put the card into bypass mode for this, which of course the VGA
monitor cannot handle.  Another small complaint I have about the card is
that it makes lo-res look really crappy.  You can see each pixel with
perfect clarity (no scanlines and cheaply made monitor to hide it).  I
really cannot stand to look at a non-interlaced workbench screen anymore
(WB 2.0 looks pretty lousy in non-interlace anyway :^) ).
The only trouble you may have with a VGA (not Super-VGA) monitor is if
you switch to PAL (w/ [Super | Fatter | Obese | Fatter | Pregnant | Huge
| really-neat-now-I-have-a-whole-meg-of-chip-RAM] Agnus), it may not
work.  I'm not sure about this but I think the frequency is a little
different for PAL, and a standard VGA monitor may not like this
(Super-VGA monitors will adjust
within a limited range... mine goes from 28-33KHz I think).
					- Alun Fryer

"And now for something completely different... A man with a tape
recorder up his nose..." (French National Anthem follows)
				- John Cleese - Monty Python's Flying Circus

guy@ns.network.com (Guy D'Andrea) (04/06/91)

In article <6382@bwdls58.bnr.ca> dbscoop2@bwdlh417.BNR.CA (Alun Fryer) writes:

>... Another small complaint I have about the card is
>that it makes lo-res look really crappy.  You can see each pixel with
>perfect clarity (no scanlines and cheaply made monitor to hide it).  I
>really cannot stand to look at a non-interlaced workbench screen anymore
>(WB 2.0 looks pretty lousy in non-interlace anyway :^) ).
>					- Alun Fryer

Yes, I have noticed the same thing.  Actually all modes look worse to me.
Now that I can see every pixel, they don't all blend together like they did
before - but what I'm seeing IS CLEARER!  So what-the-hay, it just makes me
more critial of the pix I do from DigiView... ;-)

--
 Guy Dandrea, Network Systems Corp.                       //
 guy@nsco.network.com #129.191.1.1                    \\ //

nheu@heuvax.wimsey.bc.ca (Norman Heu) (04/06/91)

In article <6382@bwdls58.bnr.ca> dbscoop2@bwdlh417.BNR.CA (Alun Fryer) writes:

>  [stuff about using a display enhancer]
>
>Another small complaint I have about the card is
>that it makes lo-res look really crappy.  You can see each pixel with
>perfect clarity (no scanlines and cheaply made monitor to hide it).

There's a program available called "setlace" which puts those lo-res
screens into interlace by displaying each scanline twice to fill in
the gaps.  Those lo-res screens end up looking much sharper!
	-Norm

--
   //   Norman Heu
 \X/    nheu@heuvax.wimsey.bc.ca -or- uunet!heuvax.wimsey.bc.ca!nheu