[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Video enhancer info wanted

tron1@tronsbox.xei.com (Kenneth Jamieson) (04/08/91)

Ok... I will be picking up one of the following display enhancers in
the near future, and need some help filling in info.

	For each of DCTV, HAM-E, COLORBURST... could someone mail me
or post info on:

	1) What type of monitor does it need ?
	2) True 24 bit color ?
	3) Amiga-co-operative ?
	4) Resolutions ?
	5) Genlockable  ?

	So, for example, the DCTV unit looks good, but has a few
problems that I can see.... One is it ONLY puts out composite video,
no RGB there at all. It only has the one resolution, and is NOT amiga
co-operative I.E. -- you cant push,pop amiga windows over the top of
the 24 bit image with standard software like the HAM-E.

	Thanks!

--
========[ Xanadu Enterprises Inc. Amiga & Unix Software Development]=======
= "I know how you feel, you don't know if you want to hit me or kiss me - =

In article <1528@tronsbox.xei.com> tron1@tronsbox.xei.com (Kenneth Jamieson) writes:
>Ok... I will be picking up one of the following display enhancers in
>the near future, and need some help filling in info.
>
>	For each of DCTV, HAM-E, COLORBURST... could someone mail me
>or post info on:

	Here's HAM-E.

>	1) What type of monitor does it need ?

	It doesn't change the format of the output signal, takes
RGB and outputs RGB.

>	2) True 24 bit color ?

	You have two modes. One is 256 (or is it 512?) out of
16.7M. The other is a HAM style mode giving 241K out of 16.7M
simultaneous. The fringing isn't really visible like with HAM
because you have 256 registers to choose from.

>	3) Amiga-co-operative ?

	The way it works it that in the upper 1/4 -- 4 scan lines
of the display it encodes some information that, when the HAM-E
board sees it, tells it to convert the image. So you can use any
player programs. The images are just IFF files.

>	4) Resolutions ?

	384x480. Plus, there is a higher version of the board
which does anti-aliasing to give you the equivalent of 768x480
without any additional bus usage.

>	5) Genlockable  ?

	Yes, any genlock that connects externally via the RGB
port will work just fine.

>	So, for example, the DCTV unit looks good, but has a few
>problems that I can see.... One is it ONLY puts out composite video,
>no RGB there at all. It only has the one resolution, and is NOT amiga
>co-operative I.E. -- you cant push,pop amiga windows over the top of
>the 24 bit image with standard software like the HAM-E.
>
>	Thanks!
>

>--
>========[ Xanadu Enterprises Inc. Amiga & Unix Software Development]=======
>= "I know how you feel, you don't know if you want to hit me or kiss me - =
>=  --- I get a lot of that."  Madonna as Breathless Mahoney (Dick Tracy)  =
>=========== Ken Jamieson: uunet!tronsbox.xei.com!tron1  ===================
>=     NONE of the opinions represented here are endorsed by anybody.      =
>=== The Romantic Encounters BBS 201-759-8450(PEP) / 201-759-8568(2400) ====

	-- Ethan

Q: How many Comp Sci majors does it take to change a lightbulb
A: None. It's a hardware problem.