[comp.sys.amiga.tech] HD

Scott_Bremner@resbbs.UUCP (Scott Bremner) (05/13/91)

Anyone outhere have any Idea how many megs is in a 2 gig HD
thanks

kellsworth@pbs.org (Video Magician) (05/14/91)

In article <Scott_Bremner.3442@resbbs.UUCP>, Scott_Bremner@resbbs.UUCP (Scott Bremner) writes:
> Anyone outhere have any Idea how many megs is in a 2 gig HD
> thanks

1 megabyte = 1 million bytes
1 gigabyte = 1 billion bytes
1 billion = 1000 million

... therefore ....

a 2 gig HD holds approximately 2,000,000,000 bytes, give or take
a kilobyte or two.

-Keith

swoodcoc@isis.cs.du.edu (Steven Markus Woodcock) (05/14/91)

In article <Scott_Bremner.3442@resbbs.UUCP> Scott_Bremner@resbbs.UUCP (Scott Bremner) writes:
>Anyone outhere have any Idea how many megs is in a 2 gig HD
>thanks

Scott:

    2 gigs = 2 gigs x 1000MB/gig = 2000 MB (roughly)

Steven W.
One of the Good Guys

--
    "...Men will awake presently and be Men again, and colour and laughter and
 splendid living will return to a grey civilization. But that will only come

dlangfor@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (David W Langford) (05/14/91)

In article <1991May13.225515.12661@pbs.org> kellsworth@pbs.org (Video Magician) writes:
>In article <Scott_Bremner.3442@resbbs.UUCP>, Scott_Bremner@resbbs.UUCP (Scott Bremner) writes:
>> Anyone outhere have any Idea how many megs is in a 2 gig HD
>> thanks

Okay time to get a clue...

1 byte = 8 bits ( 2^0 )
1 kilobyte = 1024 bytes (can we say 2^10 )

>1 megabyte = 1 million bytes
1 megabyte = 1024 kilo bytes (can we say 2^20 )

>1 gigabyte = 1 billion bytes
1 gigabyte = 1024 mega bytes ( 2^40 )

>1 billion = 1000 million
true however in computerese it is more like:
1 giga = 1024 mega

>... therefore ....
>a 2 gig HD holds approximately 2,000,000,000 bytes, give or take
>a kilobyte or two.
actually 2,147,483,648 bytes so you are off by 147,483,648 or about
140.65 Megabytes

Of course in the case of a hard drive  this is mute since it is before
formatting so you only et about 1.5 - 1.8 Gigs a storage. Funny how salepeople
never mention that fact.

|   David Langford - Columbus, OH     |  dlangfor@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu |
|                                     |  dlangfo@ohstmvsa  -Bitnet          |

<ZV0009@DMSWWU1C.BITNET> (05/14/91)

1 GByte = 1024 MByte

     \\        \\
    //\\      //\\
   //  Maverick  \\       AMIGA RULES !!!!!!!!!!
  //    \\  //    \\
 //      \\//      \\
//        //        \\

Muenster, Institute of Mathematics.
IBM/3270 DMSWWU1C

s8922967@ipc01.tmc.edu (Murray John GILBERT) (05/15/91)

In article <Scott_Bremner.3442@resbbs.UUCP> Scott_Bremner@resbbs.UUCP (Scott Bremner) writes:
>Anyone outhere have any Idea how many megs is in a 2 gig HD
>thanks

2 GB = 2048MB = 2 * 1024MB

holgerl@amiux.agsc.sub.org (Holger Lubitz) (05/15/91)

In article <1991May14.061352.21471@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> dlangfor@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (David W Langford) writes:
>Okay time to get a clue...

I think so as well...

>1 gigabyte = 1024 mega bytes ( 2^40 )

Ooops. Shouldn't that read 2^30 ?

>true however in computerese it is more like:
>1 giga = 1024 mega

It is when you're counting RAM. It usually isn't when counting HD space.
Some clever marketing guy found out that Harddisks actually seem greater
if you count 1.000.000 Bytes as a Megabyte.

So a one gig HD usually is exactly that - 1.000.000.000 bytes, nothing
more.

>Of course in the case of a hard drive  this is mute since it is before
>formatting so you only et about 1.5 - 1.8 Gigs a storage. Funny how salepeople
>never mention that fact.

And of course, in formatted capacity they usually still call 1.000.000.000
bytes a gig, just like they call 1.000.000 bytes a meg.
Which is why marketing people still like to call a 20 meg Harddisk "21 MB".

Best regards,
Holger

--
Holger Lubitz, Kl. Drakenburger Str. 24, D-W-3070 Nienburg/Weser

c60b-2fq@web-2c.berkeley.edu (Ben "Benno" Carroll) (05/23/91)

There are _1000_ megs per gig.  Hence a 2 gig HD has...Well, it's pretty darn
huge.  How  much does such a beast cost?

benno

benno@ocf.berkeley.edu
c60b-2fq@web.berkeley.edu
.