[comp.sys.amiga.tech] A501 Clock Problem

kelson@ais.org (David Lewis) (06/06/91)

wangf@athena.ecs.csus.edu (Out of Mind) writes:

>My clock on my A501 seems like it went dead...The computer now books up
>and says it can't find the clock?  Is the battery dead?  If so, how do
>you replace it and where do you get an replacement battery?  I left the
>computer on for 4 hours to see if the charge is dead or what, but it
>still doesn't fix the problem.   I would really appreciate it if I could
>get some help on this....  thanks :)

  Well I have the same problem.. I took the expansion out.. and tested
the battery with a multimeter.. and it seemed to be putting out the
proper voltage... *sigh*

--

Internet: Kelson@ais.org

u8705377@cs.uow.edu.au (Paul Anthony Wilkinson) (06/06/91)

kelson@ais.org (David Lewis) writes:

>wangf@athena.ecs.csus.edu (Out of Mind) writes:

>>My clock on my A501 seems like it went dead...The computer now books up
>>and says it can't find the clock?  Is the battery dead?  If so, how do
>>you replace it and where do you get an replacement battery?  I left the
>>computer on for 4 hours to see if the charge is dead or what, but it
>>still doesn't fix the problem.   I would really appreciate it if I could
>>get some help on this....  thanks :)

>  Well I have the same problem.. I took the expansion out.. and tested
>the battery with a multimeter.. and it seemed to be putting out the
>proper voltage... *sigh*

>--

>Internet: Kelson@ais.org

My 500 would do this sometimes before I replaced my power supply. The supply
would "hiccup" and then the screen would go all sorts of strange ways. Usually
after this the time was either wrong, or "clock not found".

The first way to try and fix this is to use the command "setclock reset"
from the CLI.  If this does not work then you have to resort to more drastic
measures. Remove the 501 board. If the clock chip is socketed then simply
remove it and then replace it. This will reset the chip. If the chip is
not socketed you can either unsolder the chip or the battery (or just let
the board sit for about 3 years to let the battery run down 8-) ).

Hope this is some help,
    Paul

u8705377@wraith.cs.uow.edu.au | I can't even afford a .sig let alone opinions

In article <1991Jun6.131156.12025@cs.uow.edu.au> u8705377@cs.uow.edu.au (Paul Anthony Wilkinson) writes:
>>wangf@athena.ecs.csus.edu (Out of Mind) writes:
>
>>>My clock on my A501 seems like it went dead...The computer now books up
>>>and says it can't find the clock?
>
>The first way to try and fix this is to use the command "setclock reset"
>from the CLI.  If this does not work then ...

... you mostly have not the apporpriate version of setclock. You must
use the very old 1.2 version for this purpose or the 1.3 versions of
the WB of at least rev. 34.28. All the interim versions of setclock
don't reset the clock rudely enough.

In article <1991Jun6.131156.12025@cs.uow.edu.au> u8705377@cs.uow.edu.au (Paul Anthony Wilkinson) writes:
> kelson@ais.org (David Lewis) writes:
>
> >wangf@athena.ecs.csus.edu (Out of Mind) writes:
>
> >>My clock on my A501 seems like it went dead...The computer now books up
> >>and says it can't find the clock?  Is the battery dead?  If so, how do
> >--
>
> >Internet: Kelson@ais.org
> after this the time was either wrong, or "clock not found".
> The first way to try and fix this is to use the command "setclock reset"
> from the CLI.

First line of defense...

>      If this does not work then you have to resort to more drastic
> measures. Remove the 501 board. If the clock chip is socketed then simply
> remove it and then replace it. This will reset the chip. If the chip is
> not socketed you can either unsolder the chip or the battery (or just let
> the board sit for about 3 years to let the battery run down 8-) ).

Yoo, that is a lot of work.  Since there is a resistor in series with the
battery you can safely short out the power at the chip for a few seconds
to do a "hard reset".  Just tap a little jumper across C9.  You really
shouldn't have to do this, but if it works for you...