[comp.sys.amiga.tech] 2.0 Problems

tdenbo@.uucp (Tom Denbo) (06/29/91)

I've found some problems, I think with 2.0 that I'd like to see if
there's a fix for.  If these have been posted before please repost.

1. 'showanim' V5.40-02 - starts up and shows a black screen
2. 'movie V2.0' - With the old RotAmiga anim I get red streaks along
   the left side.  These streaks move with the anim.  Also the
   sound files that used to work with 'movie' now don't.
3. 'dyna-show' V1.3 - Works on all but Dynamic HiRes.  On that it
   appears to munge the colors similarly to the way that standard
   IFF players munge Dynamic HiRes.

I just went for the Power Up program, and I'm generally ecstatic with
the new goodies.  But some of my favorite demos are giving me problems.
I appreciate info on updated versions or work arounds.
--
       //     Tom Denbo                   111 No. Hope St.,  Rm 732
      //      PD&C Workstation Support    Dept. of Water and Power

rjc@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) (07/01/91)

In article <tdenbo.678166725@guru> tdenbo@.uucp (Tom Denbo) writes:

>I've found some problems, I think with 2.0 that I'd like to see if
>there's a fix for.  If these have been posted before please repost.
>
>1. 'showanim' V5.40-02 - starts up and shows a black screen
>2. 'movie V2.0' - With the old RotAmiga anim I get red streaks along
>   the left side.  These streaks move with the anim.  Also the
>   sound files that used to work with 'movie' now don't.

    I think these problems are already fixed in AmigaDOS 2.03/04
A friend of mine bought an A3000 last September and he also bought
Disney's Animation Studio. Well the program would not animate frames
at all. It seems screens were being opened with "copper clipping".
Some of these programs use a copper interupt to trigger the next frame
at the bottom of display, but in 2.0 the copper could now be clipped
by the OS.
>3. 'dyna-show' V1.3 - Works on all but Dynamic HiRes.  On that it
>   appears to munge the colors similarly to the way that standard
>   IFF players munge Dynamic HiRes.

  Dynamic HiRes is a hack. It is probably failing on the A3000 because of
timing differences with the 32-bit access to chip memory. I'm sure it's
not the OS's fault. Contact NewTek. A better "dynamic hires"
program is MacroPaint and "Shazam" (availible on fish disk). MacroPaint
uses the copper for its timing instead of the processor. The only
disadvantage of using the copper is that in overscan mode you can only
get 14 colors per scanline instead of 16. But as you can see,
Dynamic Hires has many timing problems.

>I just went for the Power Up program, and I'm generally ecstatic with
>the new goodies.  But some of my favorite demos are giving me problems.
>I appreciate info on updated versions or work arounds.

 This is not Commodore's fault. DynaShow has timing problems, NewTek
needs to fix it. And European demos/games that fail on the A3000
are not the fault of the OS, it's the fault of poor programming of those
programs. I'd suggest keeping you A500/1000 around for games and demos.
Link them with Parnet if you want to use the A3000's HD from the A500.

>--
>       //     Tom Denbo                   111 No. Hope St.,  Rm 732
>      //      PD&C Workstation Support    Dept. of Water and Power
>    \X/       (213) 481-3376              Los Angeles, CA  90051

--
/ INET:rjc@gnu.ai.mit.edu     *   // The opinions expressed here do not      \
| INET:r_cromwe@upr2.clu.net  | \X/  in any way reflect the views of my self.|