[comp.sys.amiga.tech] Assembler File Requester?

J56QC@CUNYVM (10/24/90)

Help.. I'm programming in Assembler and I'm having a hard time in making a file
requester... Can anybody give me info on how to make one??  Please don't send a
Email a description on how to go about making a file requester in assembler.. I
's tough.... Thanks.......Oh.. I have the arp.library. I know they have a stand
rd file requester.. how do i use it.. I don't have the instructions... Help.. I
need INFO...  :)

amiga@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Paul) (10/24/90)

I have found a file requester on one of the fish disks which is quite nice
it's written in C but that should be no problem (just link the object code).

hope this helps.

Now,I need help I am porting a program from the Mac that uses alot of their
text handeling routines. I don't want to have to write these my self and
was woundering if there is sorce foequivalent routines anywhere?

Thanx in advance

						       #               #
I work for myself so my thoughts are mearly my own.    # Owner of an   #

milamber@caen.engin.umich.edu (Daryl Scott Cantrell) (10/24/90)

In article <38636@ut-emx.uucp> amiga@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Paul) writes:
>I have found a file requester on one of the fish disks which is quite nice
>it's written in C but that should be no problem (just link the object code).

  Instead, why not use the standard file requester in OS 2.0 (req.library I
think)?  It saves RAM since every resident program doesn't have to keep its
own file requester sitting around, and it provides the user with a more con-
sistent interface.  All that, and it's very nice also!

+---------------------------------------+----------------------------+
|   // Daryl S. Cantrell                |   These opinions are       |
| |\\\ milamber@caen.engin.umich.edu    |    shared by all of    //  |
| |//  HELP! HELP! I'm being REPRESSED! |        Humanity.     \X/   |
+---------------------------------------+----------------------------+

forgeas@swinjm.UUCP (Jean-Michel Forgeas) (10/25/90)

In article <38636@ut-emx.uucp>, Paul writes:
> [...]
> Now,I need help I am porting a program from the Mac that uses alot of their
> text handeling routines. I don't want to have to write these my self and
> was woundering if there is sorce foequivalent routines anywhere?

You can find TextAreas in isup.library/.lib from Gauthier Groult.
A TextArea handles proportional fonts, ANSI attributes, multiple
lignes, links between TextAreas,... The library provide a very
user-friendly and very nice file requester, list requester, smart
simple requester, and a lot of useful function calls.
There was a version of isup.library in a Fish disk, but email to him
for the last one. The isup.library is fully compatible with 2.0x.

To join Gauthier Groult:
...!cbmvax!cbmehq!cbmfra!swing!groult
--
                                     \___/
Jean-Michel Forgeas                   \-/

aduncan@rhea.trl.oz (Allan Duncan) (10/26/90)

From article <1990Oct24.163551.19219@engin.umich.edu>, by milamber@caen.engin.umich.edu (Daryl Scott Cantrell):
> In article <38636@ut-emx.uucp> amiga@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Paul) writes:
>>I have found a file requester on one of the fish disks which is quite nice
>>it's written in C but that should be no problem (just link the object code).

>   Instead, why not use the standard file requester in OS 2.0 (req.library I
> think)?  It saves RAM since every resident program doesn't have to keep its
> own file requester sitting around, and it provides the user with a more con-
> sistent interface.  All that, and it's very nice also!

Great, and die on all the 1.2 and 1.3 systems that are "out there".

Allan Duncan	ACSnet	a.duncan@trl.oz
(03) 541 6708	ARPA	a.duncan%trl.oz.au@uunet.uu.net
		UUCP	{uunet,hplabs,ukc}!munnari!trl.oz!a.duncan
Telecom Research Labs, PO Box 249, Clayton, Victoria, 3168, Australia.

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (10/27/90)

Theres still arp.library, which A3000 owners should install anyway.

-Joseph Hillenburg

UUCP: ...iuvax!valnet!joseph
ARPA: valnet!joseph@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
INET: joseph@valnet.UUCP

milamber@caen.engin.umich.edu (Daryl Scott Cantrell) (10/29/90)

In article <2403@trlluna.trl.oz> aduncan@rhea.trl.oz (Allan Duncan) writes:
>From article <1990Oct24.163551.19219@engin.umich.edu>, by milamber@caen.engin.umich.edu (Daryl Scott Cantrell):
>> In article <38636@ut-emx.uucp> amiga@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Paul) writes:
>>>I have found a file requester on one of the fish disks which is quite nice
>>>it's written in C but that should be no problem (just link the object code).
>
>>   Instead, why not use the standard file requester in OS 2.0?
>
>Great, and die on all the 1.2 and 1.3 systems that are "out there".

  That is exactly the attitude that got IBM's OS/2 where it isn't today..
  Actually, this isn't a very fair comparison to Commodore.  Programs that
were written correctly for 1.3 will WORK under 2.0.  But there's really no
point asking CBM for all these neat features if you're not going to use
them.  You wanna use 1.2 and 1.3 forever?

+---------------------------------------+----------------------------+

smp@myamiga.UUCP (Steve Palm) (10/30/90)

 In article <1990Oct29.063758.17779@engin.umich.edu>, milamber writes:
 DSC> >>   Instead, why not use the standard file requester in OS 2.0?
 DSC> >
 DSC> >Great, and die on all the 1.2 and 1.3 systems that are "out there".
 DSC>
 DSC> no point asking CBM for all these neat features if you're not going to
 DSC> use them.  You wanna use 1.2 and 1.3 forever?

 That is the same attitude that would land us with the routines only found in
1.0, right? 8^)  I sure am glad that CBM keeps adding functions to the ROMs
and supporting libraries, and that programmers use them.

 The *only* downside to this would be if, as some people in FidoNet have come
to believe, Commodore decides that the A500 is not a professional machine and
will not receive 2.0.  I see this as a moot point, because as far as I can see
CBM *will* release 2.0 on the 500.

--
     ///  AMIGA: | Steve Palm, Sysop of FidoNet node 1:11/16
    ///  FOR THE | UUCP: {gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!myamiga!smp

nj@magnolia.Berkeley.EDU (...) (11/01/90)

smp@myamiga.UUCP (Steve Palm) said:

> DSC> >Great, and die on all the 1.2 and 1.3 systems that are "out there".

> That is the same attitude that would land us with the routines only found in
>1.0, right? 8^)

"Oh, you need a file requester?  Well, wait [an indefinite amount of
time] until 2.0 comes out for your machine, then use its standard file
requester."  This is not particularly helpful advice for people who
own a 500/1000/2000 and want to write code NOW.

In any case, to answer the original question, there are a number of
freely redistributable file requesters out on the Fish disks.  There's
also the req.library which was recently posted to comp.binaries.amiga;
I've had some trouble using some of its functions under Lattice, but
the file requester seems to work, is easy to use, and is quite nice.

--
nj			nj@teak.Berkeley.EDU		...!ucbvax!teak!nj

In article <1990Nov1.075334.26819@agate.berkeley.edu> nj@magnolia.Berkeley.EDU (...) writes:
> "Oh, you need a file requester?  Well, wait [an indefinite amount of
> time] until 2.0 comes out for your machine, then use its standard file
> requester."

	if(using2point0) {
		use2point0requestor();
	} else {
		useanycheesyrequestoryoulike("It doesn't matter");
	}

Might I suggest my "stdfile" requestor? It supports Amiga wildcards and
has the same buttons and gadgets as the 2.0 requestor so users won't be
freaked out when they upgrade.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (11/02/90)

Speaking of FidoNet, is there something like amiga-relay@udel.edu for
FidoNet right now?

vidynath@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Vidhyanath K. Rao) (11/02/90)

In article <1990Oct29.063758.17779@engin.umich.edu>
	milamber@caen.engin.umich.edu (Daryl Scott Cantrell) writes:
[regarding not using features of 2.0]
>  That is exactly the attitude that got IBM's OS/2 where it isn't today..
>  Actually, this isn't a very fair comparison to Commodore.  Programs that
>were written correctly for 1.3 will WORK under 2.0.  But there's really no
>point asking CBM for all these neat features if you're not going to use
>them.  You wanna use 1.2 and 1.3 forever?

In c.s.a.hardware, one guy said that 500 users should not be allowed to
upgrade to 2.0 or 1meg chip ram. Rumors that CBM marketing has similar views
have surfaced in the past. but, to the best of my knowledge these rumors have
not been denied in print. Given this, no one should be blamed for not using
2.0 features.
--
Vidhyanth Rao			It is the man, not the method, that solves
function.mps.ohio-state.edu	the problem. - Henri Poincare

In article <1990Nov2.002737.4851@zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu> vidynath@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Vidhyanath K. Rao) writes:
>[regarding not using features of 2.0]

>>them.  You wanna use 1.2 and 1.3 forever?
>
>In c.s.a.hardware, one guy said that 500 users should not be allowed to
>upgrade to 2.0 or 1meg chip ram. Rumors that CBM marketing has similar views
>have surfaced in the past. but, to the best of my knowledge these rumors have
>not been denied in print. Given this, no one should be blamed for not using
>2.0 features.

	Remember, I speak for myself, not Commodore-Amiga Inc or Commodore
Business Machines.  That said, I advise strongly against believing rumors
such as those.  Commodore does not go around denying every rumor that springs
up, nor should they (nor should I have to).  As to the timing of 2.0 going into
specific machines, I can't talk to that point, but I can say that Commodore
gets input on things like that at Developer's Advisory Council meetings (one
of which was just held recently).

	2.0 is the future of the Amiga.

Common phrase heard at Amiga Devcon '89: "It's in there!"

ggk@tirith.UUCP (Gregory Kritsch) (10/30/20)

milamber@caen.engin.umich.edu (Daryl Scott Cantrell) writes:
>>Great, and die on all the 1.2 and 1.3 systems that are "out there".
>
>  That is exactly the attitude that got IBM's OS/2 where it isn't today..
>  Actually, this isn't a very fair comparison to Commodore.  Programs that
>were written correctly for 1.3 will WORK under 2.0.  But there's really no
>point asking CBM for all these neat features if you're not going to use
>them.  You wanna use 1.2 and 1.3 forever?

The idea, in my opinion, is to convince CBM to produce 2.0 upgrades for
the other five flavours of Amiga (A1000, A500, A2000, B2000, A2500)
really soon now.  I seem to recall that it will eventually be available
for everything but the A1000 ("in a year" rings a faint bell).

Once all the machines can upgrade to the new OS, it's functions are fair
game.  Until then, there are a couple of options.  First, exit if you
don't get version 36 (?) libraries.  Second, surround 2.0 code with if
(lib_Version >= 36), and provide alternates code where possible.  In the
case of using the 2.0 file requester, I wouldn't mind seeing a simple
"Enter filename:" string gadget as the alternate.

Personally, I think its a pretty bad deal that they aren't producing a
WCS daughterboard upgrade for the A1000.

--
  Gregory Kritsch                          | University of Waterloo
    Fido:  1:221/208.11110  [1:163/109.30] | 1A Computer Engineering