Date: Mon, 12 Nov 90 16:08:37 -0800
From: vision@deimos.ads.com (Vision List moderator Philip Kahn)
Subject: Information on the Vision List, Imagery, & Archives

[ This abbreviated reminder is due to the large number of requests
  for info I received about the imagery archives.  I'm on the lookout
  to add useful imagery; if you have such imagery, please contact me
  at vision-list-request@ads.com.
				phil...	]

The INTERNET host site for the Vision List is Vision-List@ADS.COM for
list contributions and Vision-List-Request@ADS.COM for undistributed
correspondence. The Vision List is also distributed as the
COMP.AI.VISION newsgroup. As the moderator, I am interested in
stimulating exchanges on research and other topics of significance to
the vision community.  Here is some information which describes the
List and related services.

ARCHIVES & SERVICES

Backissues of the Vision List Digest and some public domain software
and imagery is available via anonymous FTP.  For those of you without
FTP connection, limited backissues may be obtained by mailing your
request to Vision-List-Request@ADS.COM .

To access the Vision List archives from anonymous FTP:
1) FTP to ADS.COM
2) Login name is ANONYMOUS
3) Once you're logged on, change directory (cd) to
   pub/VISION-LIST-ARCHIVE

* Backissues of the Vision List Digest may be found in
  pub/VISION-LIST-ARCHIVE/BACKISSUES

* Azriel Rosenfeld's Computer Vision bibliographies from 1984-present
  may be found in pub/VISION-LIST-ARCHIVE/ROSENFELD-BIBLIOGRAPHIES

* Public domain software (shareware) may be found in
  pub/VISION-LIST-ARCHIVE/SHAREWARE

* Imagery may be found in pub/VISION-LIST-ARCHIVE/IMAGERY

For those wishing to contribute to the archives with shareware,
imagery, or other good stuff of general interest to the community,
please contact me at Vision-List-Request@ADS.COM .

I hope you enjoy the Vision List!

				Phil Kahn, moderator
				Vision-List-Request@ADS.COM

------------------------------

Date:		Mon, 12 Nov 90.
From:		iborra@disam.upm.es (Andres Iborra)
Subject:	Robotic camara systems and Canon lenses.
Organitation:	Politechnical University of Madrid

Hello!

	We are working on the calibration of a robotic camara system. We have
obtained relatively simple transformation equations to determine twelve camara
parameters (pan, tilt, zoom, nodal separation, distorsion, etc.) by fitting
them to several data points.
	The calibration must be performed each time the camara system is modi
fied. For that reason, we are urgently looking for a table indicating the poti-
tion of the nodal point and the distortion throughout the zoom range of the
CANON TV zoom lenses:

	- PH 18x6		- J15x9.5
	- PH 15x7		- J18x8.5
	- PH 13x6.6		- J8x6

	If there is a large request for this info we'll post it, etc ...

	Thanks in advance.

	A. Iborra
	Automatica
	ETSI. Industriales.
	Universidad Politecnica de Madrid.
	Jose Gutierrez Abascal 2.
	28006 Madrid.
	SPAIN.

	e-mail:	iborra@disam.upm.es
	Fax No:	+34 (9) 1 5642961/2618618

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 06 Nov 90 12:12:52 CST
From: honavar@iastate.edu
Subject: image analysis software

I would appreciate any information you might have on image analysis
software (especially those that are public domain) running on X-windows on
DECstations. I will post a summary of the information received to the
Vision-List. Thanks.

Vasant Honavar
Department of Computer Science
226 Atanasoff Hall
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011

e-mail: honavar@iastate.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Nov 90 09:58:52 GMT
From: Yangsheng Wang <Yangsheng.Wang@brunel.ac.uk>
Subject: computer colour vison

Hi,

Does anyone know of any recent papers and books in computer
colour vison, colour image processing, etc?

Thank you in advance.

Y.S.Wang

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Nov 90 21:21:34 GMT
From: feng@caen.engin.umich.edu (Liqiang Feng)
Subject: distinguish rectangle and ellipse

Hi, I am looking for a real simple method to distinguish a rectangle
and an ellipse. I do not want to use edge detection stuff, I would
prefer to use geometric properties like area, perimeter, compactness,
that sort of things. Does anybody out there have some ideas? Your
suggestions are greatly appreciated.

E-mail to: feng@caen.engin.umich.edu

------------------------------

Date: 	Sat, 10 Nov 90 13:44:50 EST
From: Color and Vision Network <CVNET%YORKVM1.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca>
Subject: CVNet- Spatial Vision Meeting Announcement

The York Vision Group and Department of Computer Science are
organizing a conference on Spatial Vision in Humans and Robots at York
University, Toronto, June 19 to 22, 1991.  The following have agreed
to give talks: D. Ballard, J. Bergen, K. DeValois, A. Jepson, B.
Julesz, D. Heeger, J. Hinton, S. Klein, K. Nakayam K. Nakayama, A.
Pentland, T. Poggio, D. Regan, W. Richards, R. Szeliski, J. Tsotsos,
H. Wilson, A. Yuille, S. Zucker. There will be a $50 registration fee
($20 for students). Accomodation and meals may be booked in advance.
For registration form and details of the programme send a reply with
your full address to Ihoward @ yorkvm1. bitnet.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 Nov 90 08:59:38 +0100
From: hic@vision.auc.dk (Henrik I. Christensen)
Subject: 2nd Call for 7SCIA

The 7th Scandinavian Conference on Image Analysis
August 13-16, 1991, Aalborg University, Denmark

2ND CALL FOR PAPERS

The 7th Scandinavian Conference on Image Analysis will be arranged by
The Pattern Recognition Society of Denmark and sponsored by IAPR, the
International Association for Pattern Recognition.

The conference will be held in Aalborg from August 13 to 16, 1991.
Aalborg is a major industrial and university city in North Jutland,
Denmark.  The conference site is "Aalborghallen", Centre of Culture,
Congresses and Exhibitions, which has amble facilities and a central
location in the town.

Conference Committee			Address of Conference Chair:

Erik Granum, Conference Chair		7th SCIA Conference Chair
Peter Johansen, Programme Chair		Laboratory of Image Analysis
Soeren I. Olsen, Progr. Vice-Chair	Institute of Electronic Systems
Henning Nielsen, Exhibition Chair	Aalborg University
Henrik I. Christensen, Local Chair	Fr. Bajers Vej 7, Bldg. D1
Knut Conradsen, Denmark			DK-9220, Aalborg East
Juha Roening, Finland			Denmark
Fritz Albregtsen, Norway		tel.	+ 45 98 15 85 22  ext. 4940
Ewart Bengtsson, Sweden			fax.	+ 45 98 15 40 08
					email:	scia@vision.auc.dk

SCIENTIFIC PROGRAMME

The scientific programme includes invited speakers and multi-track
sessions with contributed papers for oral and poster presentation.

The conference language is English.

The contributed papers will cover original, unpublished research
results, either theoretical or applied, within the following areas:

	Image Analysis
	Pattern Recognition
	Computer Vision
	Perception
	Parallel Algorithms & Architectures
	Neural Nets
	Remote Sensing
	Medical & Biological 	Applications
	Industrial Applications

Invited speakers and their topics:

   - Vision and Robotics
	Prof. J.L. Crowley, Institute National Polytechnique de Grenoble, INPG.
   - Human Vision Understanding
	Prof. I. Biederman, Univ. of Minnesota. ,Minneapolis
   - Knowledge-Based Vision
	Prof. A. Hanson, Univ. of Mass., Amhurst, Mass.
   - Scale-Space Analysis
	Prof. J. J. Koenderink, Univ. of Utrecht.
   - Range Image Analysis
	Dr. P. Besl, General Motors Research  Laboratory.Warren, MI.
  - Remote Sensing
	Dr. R. Haydn, Gesellschaft fur Angewandte Fernerkennung GmbH. Munich

SUBMISSION OF PAPERS

Papers must be in English, and only full papers will be accepted.
Authors are invited to submit four (4) copies of each full paper to:

	Professor Peter Johansen
	7th SCIA Programme Chair
	Dept. of Computer Science
	University of Copenhagen
	Universitetsparken 1
	DK-2100 Copenhagen East
	Denmark
tel.	+45 - 31 39 64 66
fax.	+45 - 31 39 02 21
email:  ingvor@diku.dk

The cover page should contain:

- Title of the paper
- Name and affiliation of author(s)
- Brief abstract (200 words)
- Name & addr. for correspondence

The text (including illustrations) beginning on page 2 must not exceed
8 pages (single linespacing).  All pages must show the name of the
(first) author and page number.

The deadline for submission of papers is DECEMBER 1, 1990.  All papers
will be assessed by three reviewers.

Authors will be notified as to acceptance by MARCH 1, 1991.  For
accepted papers, a final camera-ready copy will be required by May 1,
1991.  Instructions for authors will be provided.

REGISTRATION INFORMATION

The registration fee will be 2700 DKK before 15 May 1990, and 3000 DKK
for late registration.  The fee covers: proceedings, entrance to all
oral and poster sessions, exhibition, lunches and coffee breaks,
get-together party, reception, and banquet.

The fee is payable by Bankers' cheque drawn on a Danish bank and in
Danish Kroner (private cheques will not be accepted).

Registration forms, hotel information, and practical travel
information are available from the Conference Secretariat:

	7th SCIA Conference Secretariat
	c/o: Aalborg Tourist Bureau
	Oesteraa 8
	DK-9000  Aalborg
	Denmark
tel.	+45 98 12 63 55
fax.	+45 98 16 69 22

There will be hotel rooms available for participants in four different
categories:

	single room   	double room
A 	DKK	650-770		DKK	940 -	1140
B	DKK	535-715		DKK	620 -	925
C*	DKK 	225-400		DKK	475 -	550	* Rooms without bath.
D	Youth hostel  DKK127

Rates per room and night include breakfast.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 Nov 90 15:18:56 EST
From: flynn@shillelagh.cse.nd.edu (Patrick J. Flynn)
Subject: 3D vision bibliography

In the course of my PhD program I accumulated a rather large
bibliography of papers on 3D vision.  It recently occurred to me that
I could make it available over the network so that others wouldn't
have to reinvent the wheel.  It's in BibTeX format with my own
`unique' indexing system, and I don't think it's worth repackaging as
a special issue of vision-list.

Regards
Pat Flynn

@string{comment="

Hello. This is the bibliography of 3D vision papers that I accumulated
since 1986.  It's in BibTeX format, and the index phrase for each entry
looks something like

NAME-1stword-2ndword-WHERE-WHEN

where NAME is the last name of the principal author,
1stword and 2ndword are the first and second words in the title of the item,
WHERE is a label for the publication (e.g. `book', `iccv88', `cvpr88'), and
WHEN is the last 2 digits of the year of publication.

This makes citations in the LaTeX documents kinda long, but easy to read.

This list of references is long and eclectic.  I will probably continue to
update it, and make newer versions available in the future.

Pat Flynn
Computer Science and Engineering
University of Notre Dame
flynn@cse.nd.edu

"}

@string{pami="{IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence}"}
@string{ai="{Artificial Intelligence}"}
@string{csur="{Computing Surveys}"}
@string{cga="{IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications}"}
@string{cgip="{Computer Graphics and Image Processing}"}
@string{cvgip="{Computer Vision, Graphics, and Image Processing}"}
@string{pr="{Pattern Recognition}"}
@string{prl="{Pattern Recognition Letters}"}
@string{ijrr="{International Journal of Robotics Research}"}

@string{iccv87="{Proc. First International Conference on Computer Vision}"}
@string{iccv88="{Proc. Second International Conference on Computer Vision}"}
@string{iccv90="{Proc. Third International Conference on Computer Vision}"}

@string{cvpr86="{Proc. 1986 IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition}"}
@string{cvpr89="{Proc. 1989 IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition}"}
@string{cvpr88="{Proc. 1988 IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition}"}
@string{cvpr91="{Proc. 1991 IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition}"}

@string{icpr90="{Proc. Tenth International Conference on Pattern Recognition}"}

@article{drumheller-mobile-robot-pami-87,
AUTHOR="Michael Drumheller",
TITLE="{Mobile Robot Localization Using Sonar}",
JOURNAL=pami,
VOLUME="PAMI-9", NUMBER=2, PAGES="325-332", YEAR=1987 }

@inproceedings{ulupinar-using-symmetries-iccv-88,
AUTHOR="Fatih Ulupinar and Ramakant Nevatia",
TITLE="{Using Symmetries for Analysis of Shape from Contour}",
BOOKTITLE=iccv88,
YEAR=1988,
PAGES="414-426"}

@inproceedings{rao-shape-description-icpr-90,
AUTHOR="Kashipati Rao and Ramakant Nevatia",
TITLE="{Spahe Description from Imperfect and Incomplete Data}",
BOOKTITLE=icpr90,
PAGES="125-129", YEAR=1990}

@inproceedings{flynn-on-a-cvpr-91,
AUTHOR="{Patrick J. Flynn and Anil K. Jain}",
TITLE="{On A Taxonomy of Interpretation Trees}",
BOOKTITLE=cvpr91,
YEAR="1991 (submitted)"}

@incollection{besl-the-free-book-90,
AUTHOR="Paul J. Besl",
TITLE="{The Free-Form Surface Matching Problem}",
BOOKTITLE="{Machine Vision for Three-Dimensional Scenes}",
EDITOR="Herbert Freeman", PUBLISHER="Academic", YEAR=1990,
PAGES="25-71"}

@inproceedings{newman-model-driven-spie-91,
AUTHOR="Timothy S. Newman and Patrick J. Flynn and Anil K. Jain",
TITLE="{Model-Driven Surface Classification}",
BOOKTITLE="SPIE Conf. on Geometric Methods in Computer Vision",
YEAR="1991 (in preparation)"
}

@book{wilf-generatingfunctionology-book-90,
AUTHOR="Herbert S. Wilf", TITLE="{Generatingfunctionology}",
PUBLISHER="{Academic Press}", YEAR=1990}

@book{hillis-the-connection-book-85,
AUTHOR="W.D. Hillis", TITLE="{The Connection Machine}",
PUBLISHER="MIT Press", CITY="Cambridge, MA", YEAR=1985}

@inproceedings{tucker-object-recognition-cvpr-88,
AUTHOR="Lewis W. Tucker and Carl R. Feynman and Donna M. Fritzsche",
TITLE="{Object Recognition Using the Connection Machine}",
BOOKTITLE=cvpr88, YEAR=1988, PAGES="871-877"}

@inproceedings{cass-a-robust-cvpr-88,
AUTHOR="Todd Anthony Cass",
TITLE="{A Robust Parallel Implementation of 2D Model-Based Recognition}",
BOOKTITLE=cvpr88,
PAGES="879-884", YEAR=1988}

@inproceedings{harris-object-recognition-cvpr-86,
AUTHOR="John G. Harris and Anita M. Flynn",
TITLE="{Object Recognition Using the Connection Machine's Router}",
BOOKTITLE=cvpr86,
YEAR=1986}

@article{shankar-three-dimensional-prl-90,
AUTHOR="Ravi V. Shankar and Ganesh Ramamoorthy and Minsoo Suk",
TITLE="{Three-Dimensional Object Recognition on the Connection Machine}",
JOURNAL=prl,
VOLUME=11, PAGES="485-492", MONTH="July", YEAR=1990 }

@techreport{ramaswami-rule-based-unpublished-88,
AUTHOR="M.D. Ramaswami and Anil K. Jain",
TITLE="{Rule-Based 3D Object Recognition from Range Images}",
INSTITUTION="Department of Computer Science, Michigan State University",
YEAR="1988 (unpublished)"}

@inproceedings{flynn-bonsai-3d-iccv-90,
AUTHOR="Patrick J. Flynn and Anil K. Jain",
TITLE="{BONSAI: 3D Object Recognition Using Constrained Search}",
BOOKTITLE=iccv90,
YEAR="1990 (to appear)" }

@phdthesis{flynn-cad-based-thesis-90,
AUTHOR="Patrick J. Flynn",
TITLE="{CAD-Based Computer Vision: Modeling and Recognition Strategies}",
SCHOOL="Department of Computer Science, Michigan State University",
YEAR=1990}

@inproceedings{flynn-surface-classification-cvpr-88,
AUTHOR= "Patrick J. Flynn and Anil K. Jain",
TITLE= "{Surface Classification: Hypothesis Testing and Parameter Estimation}",
BOOKTITLE=cvpr88,
PAGES="261-267",
MONTH="June",
YEAR="1988"
}

@inproceedings{flynn-on-reliable-cvpr-89,
AUTHOR="Patrick J. Flynn and Anil K. Jain",
TITLE="{On Reliable Curvature Estimation}",
BOOKTITLE=cvpr89,
PAGES="110-116",
MONTH="June",
YEAR="1989"
}

@article{flynn-cad-based-pami-91,
AUTHOR="Patrick J. Flynn and Anil K. Jain",
TITLE="{CAD-Based Computer Vision: From CAD Models to Relational Graphs}",
JOURNAL=pami,
YEAR="1991 (to appear)"
}

@inproceedings{flynn-cad-based-smc-89,
AUTHOR="Patrick J. Flynn and Anil K. Jain",
TITLE="{CAD-Based Computer Vision: From CAD Models to Relational Graphs}",
BOOKTITLE="{Proc. 1989 IEEE Int. Conf. on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics}",
MONTH="November",
YEAR=1989,
CITY="Cambridge, Massachusetts",
PAGES="162-167"
}

@article{taxt-segmentation-of-pami-89,
AUTHOR="Torfinn M. Taxt and Patrick J. Flynn and Anil K. Jain",
TITLE="{Segmentation of Document Images}",
JOURNAL=pami,
VOLUME=11,
PAGES="1322-1329"
}

@inproceedings{taxt-segmentation-of-smc-89,
AUTHOR="Torfinn M. Taxt and Patrick J. Flynn and Anil K. Jain",
TITLE="{Segmentation of Document Images}",
BOOKTITLE="{Proc. 1989 IEEE Int. Conf. on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics}",
MONTH="November",
YEAR=1989,
CITY="Cambridge, Massachusetts",
PAGES="1062-1067"
}

@article{nadabar-mrf-model-iccv-90,
AUTHOR="Sateesha G. Nadabar and Anil K. Jain",
TITLE="{MRF Model-Based Segmentation of Range Images}",
JOURNAL="submitted to Second International Conference on Computer Vision",
YEAR=1990 }

@phdthesis{choi-vertex-based-thesis-89,
AUTHOR="Young Choi",
TITLE="{Vertex-Based Boundary Representations of Non-manifold Geometric Models}",
INSTITUTION="{Dept of Mechanical Engineering,Carnegie Mellon University}",
MONTH="August", YEAR=1989}

@inproceedings{park-cad-based-cvpr-88,
AUTHOR="H.D. Park and O.R. Mitchell",
TITLE="{CAD based planning and execution of inspection}",
BOOKTITLE=cvpr88,
CITY="Ann Arbor", YEAR=1988, MONTH="June", PAGES="858-863"}

@article{patel-engineering-feature-caej-88,
AUTHOR="R.M. Patel and A.J. McLeod",
TITLE="{Engineering feature description in mechanical engineering design}",
JOURNAL="{Computer-Aided Engineering Journal}",
PAGES="180-183", MONTH="October", YEAR=1988}

@article{shah-functional-requirements-caej-88,
AUTHOR="Jami J. Shah and Mary T. Rogers",
TITLE="{Functional requirements and conceptual design of the feature-based modelling system}",
JOURNAL="{Computer-Aided Engineering Journal}",
MONTH="February", YEAR=1988, PAGES="9-15"}

@inproceedings{stansfield-representing-generic-icra-88,
AUTHOR="S.A. Stansfield",
TITLE="{Representing generic objects for exploration and recognition}",
BOOKTITLE="{Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation}",
PAGES="1090--1095",
CITY="Philadelphia", MONTH="April", YEAR=1988}

@article{stockman-matching-images-pami-82,
AUTHOR="George C. Stockman and S. Kopstein and S. Benett",
TITLE="{Matching Images to Models for Registration and Object Detection via Clustering}",
JOURNAL=pami, VOLUME="PAMI-4", NUMBER=3, YEAR=1982, PAGES="229-241"}

@article{stockman-a-minimax-ai-79,
AUTHOR="George C. Stockman",
TITLE="{A minimax algorithm better than alpha-beta?}",
JOURNAL=ai, VOLUME=12, PAGES="179-196", YEAR=1979}

@book{kumar-parallel-algorithms-book-90,
AUTHOR="Vipin Kumar and P.S. Gopalakrishnan and Laveen N. Kanal (eds.)",
TITLE="{Parallel Algorithms for Machine Intelligence and Vision}",
PUBLISHER="Springer-Verlag",
YEAR=1990}

@incollection{kumar-scalable-parallel-book-90,
AUTHOR="Vipin Kumar and V. Nageshwara Rao",
TITLE="{Scalable Parallel Formulations of Depth-First Search}",
BOOKTITLE="{Parallel Algorithms for Machine Intelligence and Vision}",
EDITOR="Vipin Kumar and P.S. Gopalakrishnan and Laveen N. Kanal",
PUBLISHER="Springer-Verlag",
PAGES="1-41",
YEAR=1990}

@article{kumar-parallel-branch-pami-84,
AUTHOR="Vipin Kumar and Laveen N. Kanal",
TITLE="{Parallel Branch-and-Bound Formulation for AND/OR Tree Search}",
JOURNAL=pami, VOLUME="PAMI-6", NUMBER=6, YEAR=1984, PAGES="768-788"}

@inproceedings{pentland-a-simple-cvpr-89,
AUTHOR="A. Pentland and T. Darrell and M. Turk and W. Huang",
TITLE="{A Simple, Real-Time Range Camera}",
BOOKTITLE=cvpr89,
YEAR=1989, PAGES="256-261"}

@inproceedings{subbarao-direct-recovery-workshop-87,
AUTHOR="M. Subbarao", TITLE="{Direct Recovery of Depth-Map}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. IEEE Workshop on Computer Vision",
PAGES="58-65", YEAR=1987}

@inproceedings{sethi-a-flexible-robex-89,
AUTHOR="Ishwar K. Sethi and Nagarajan Ramesh",
TITLE="{A Flexible Shape Recognition Approach Through Hashing}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. ROBEX '89 (sponsored by Robotics and Expert Systems Division, Instrument Society of America",
CITY="Palo Alto, CA",
YEAR=1989,
PAGES="185-188"}

@techreport{hecker-is-geometric-tr-89,
AUTHOR="Yaron C. Hecker and Ruud M. Bolle",
TITLE="{Is Geometric Hashing a Hough Transform?}",
NUMBER="RC 15202(\#67767)",
INSTITUTION="{IBM Research Division, T.J. Watson Research Center}",
YEAR=1989}

@inproceedings{lamdan-geometric-hashing-iccv-88,
AUTHOR="Y. Lamdan and H.J. Wolfson",
TITLE="{Geometric Hashing: A General and Efficient Model-Based Recognition Sceme}",
BOOKTITLE=iccv88, YEAR=1988, PAGES="238-249"}

@article{brody-cad-meets-ht-87,
AUTHOR="Herb Brody",
TITLE="{CAD Meets CAM}",
JOURNAL="High Technology", YEAR=1987, PAGES="12-16"}

@article{berenji-use-of-cime-86,
AUTHOR="Hamid R. Berenji and Berokh Khoshnevis",
TITLE="{Use of Artificial Intelligence in Automated Process Planning}",
JOURNAL="{Computers in Mechanical Engineering}",
MONTH="September", YEAR=1986, PAGES="47-55"}

@inproceedings{lin-csg-based-icpr-88,
AUTHOR="Wei-Chung Lin and Tsu-Wang Chen",
TITLE="{CSG-Based Object Recognition Using Range Images}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. 9th Int. Conf. on Pattern Recognition",
CITY="Rome", YEAR=1988, MONTH="November", PAGES="99-103"}

@book{faux-computational-geometry-book-79,
AUTHOR="I.D. Faux and M.J. Pratt",
TITLE="{Computational Geometry for Design and Manufacture}",
PUBLISHER="Ellis Horwood", CITY="Chichester", YEAR=1979}

@inproceedings{haralick-methodology-for-cvpr-89,
AUTHOR="Robert M. Haralick",
TITLE="{Methodology for Experimental Computer Vision}",
BOOKTITLE=cvpr89, PAGES="437-438", MONTH="June", Year=1989}

@article{hoffman-cad-driven-smc-89,
AUTHOR="Richard Hoffman and H. Keshavan and Farhad Towfiq",
TITLE="{CAD-Driven Machine Vision}",
JOURNAL="IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics",
VOLUME=19, NUMBER=6,
MONTH="November/December", YEAR=1989, PAGES="1477-1488"}

@mastersthesis{clemens-the-recognition-thesis-86,
AUTHOR="David T. Clemens",
TITLE="{The Recognition of Two-Dimensional Modeled Objects in Images}",
SCHOOL="Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology",
YEAR=1986}

@article{gaston-tactile-recognition-pami-84,
AUTHOR="P.C. Gaston and T.Lozano-P\'{e}rez",
TITLE="{Tactile Recognition and Localization Using Object Models: The Case of
Polyhedra on a Plane}",
JOURNAL=pami,
VOLUME="PAMI-6", NUMBER=3, PAGES="257-265", YEAR=1984}

@techreport{grimson-the-combinatorics-tr-89,
AUTHOR="W. Eric L. Grimson",
TITLE="{The Combinatorics of Heuristic Search Termination for Object Recognition in Cluttered Environments}",
NUMBER="1111",
INSTITUTION="AI Laboratory, Massachusetts Institute of Technology",
YEAR=1989}

@inproceedings{huttenlocher-object-recognition-iccv-87,
AUTHOR="Daniel P. Huttenlocher and Shimon Ullman",
TITLE="{Object Recognition Using Alignment}",
BOOKTITLE=iccv87,
YEAR=1987, PAGES="102-111"}

@article{hansen-cagd-based-pami-89,
AUTHOR="C. Hansen and T. Henderson",
TITLE="{CAGD-Based Computer Vision}",
JOURNAL=pami, VOLUME=11, NUMBER=11, YEAR=1989, MONTH="November",
PAGES="1181-1193"}

@inproceedings{stewart-the-trinocular-iccv-88,
AUTHOR="Charles V. Stewart and Charles R. Dyer",
TITLE="{The Trinocular General Support Algorithm: A Three-Camera Stereo Algorithm for Overcoming Binocular Matching Errors}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc 2nd Int. Conf. on Computer Vision",
MONTH="December", YEAR=1988, PAGES="134-138"}

@inproceedings{hansen-towards-real-iccv-88,
AUTHOR="Charles Hansen and Nicholas Ayache and Francis Lustman",
TITLE="{Towards Real-Time Trinocular Stereo}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc 2nd Int. Conf. on Computer Vision",
MONTH="December", YEAR=1988, PAGES="129-133"}

@article{mitiche-detection-of-pami-83,
AUTHOR="Amar Mitiche and J.K. Aggarwal",
TITLE="{Detection of Edges Using Range Information}",
JOURNAL=pami, VOLUME="PAMI-5", NUMBER=2, PAGES="174-178",
MONTH="March", YEAR=1983}

@inproceedings{inokuchi-a-three-icpr-82,
AUTHOR="Seiji Inokuchi and Takeshi Nita and Fumio Matsuda and Yoshifumi Sakurai",
TITLE="{A Three Dimensional Edge-Region Operator for Range Pictures}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. 6th Int. Conf. on Pattern Recognition",
PAGES="918-920", YEAR=1982}

@inproceedings{kasvand-the-k1k2-icpr-88,
AUTHOR="T. Kasvand",
TITLE="{The k1k2 Space in Range Image Analysis}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. 9th Int. Conf. on Pattern Recognition",
CITY="Rome", YEAR=1988, MONTH="November", PAGES="923-926"}

@inproceedings{stephens-outdoor-vehicle-cvpr-89,
AUTHOR="M.J. Stephens and R.J. Blissett and D. Charnley and E.P. Sparks and J.M. Pike",
TITLE="{Outdoor Vehicle Navigation Using Passive 3D Vision}",
BOOKTITLE=cvpr89,
PAGES="556-562", YEAR=1989}

@article{blostein-shape-from-pami-89,
AUTHOR="Dorothea Blostein and Narendra Ahuja",
TITLE="{Shape From Texture: Integrating Texture-Element Extraction and Surface Estimation}",
JOURNAL=pami, VOLUME=11, NUMBER=12, PAGES="1233-1251", MONTH="December",
YEAR=1989}

@article{nalwa-line-drawing-pami-89,
AUTHOR="Vishvjit S. Nalwa",
TITLE="{Line-Drawing Interpretation: Bilateral Symmetry}",
JOURNAL=pami, VOLUME=11, NUMBER=10, YEAR=1989, MONTH="October",
PAGES="1117-1120"}

@article{jain-range-intensity-prl-90,
AUTHOR="A.K. Jain and T. Newman and M. Goulish",
TITLE="{Range-Intensity Histogram for Segmenting LADAR Images}",
JOURNAL="submitted to {Pattern Recognition Letters}",
YEAR=1990}

@inproceedings{krotkov-range-from-icra-86,
AUTHOR="E. Krotkov and J.P. Martin",
TITLE="{Range From Focus}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. 1986 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation",
MONTH="April", YEAR=1986, PAGES="1093-1098"}

@article{orourke-decomposition-of-pami-79,
AUTHOR="J. O'Rourke and N.I. Badler",
TITLE="{Decomposition of Three-Dimensional Objects into Spheres}",
JOURNAL=pami,
VOLUME="PAMI-1", MONTH="July", YEAR=1979}

@inproceedings{lu-a-relational-3dworkshop-89,
AUTHOR="Haiyuan Lu and Linda G. Shapiro and Octavia I. Camps",
TITLE="{A Relational Pyramid Approach to View Class Determination}",
BOOKTITLE="{Proc. IEEE Workshop on Interpretation of 3D Scenes}",
CITY="Austin, Texas", MONTH="November", YEAR=1989, PAGES="177-183"}

@techreport{camps-premio-the-tr-89,
AUTHOR="Octavia I. Camps and Linda G. Shapiro and Robert M. Haralick",
TITLE="{PREMIO: The Use of Prediction in a CAD-Model-Based Vision System}",
NUMBER="EE-ISL-89-01",
INSTITUTION="Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Washington",
YEAR=1989}

@inproceedings{vaillant-using-occluding-3dworkshop-89,
AUTHOR="R. Vaillant and O.D. Faugeras",
TITLE="{Using Occluding Contours for Recovering Shape Properties of Objects}",
BOOKTITLE="{Proc. IEEE Workshop on Interpretation of 3D Scenes}",
CITY="Austin, Texas", MONTH="November", YEAR=1989, PAGES="26-32" }

@article{witkin-recovering-surface-ai-81,
AUTHOR="A.P. Witkin",
TITLE="{Recovering Surface Shape and Orientation from Texture}",
JOURNAL=ai, VOLUME=17, NUMBER="1-3", PAGES="17-45", YEAR=1981, MONTH="August"}

@techreport{chen-3D-poly-tr-88,
AUTHOR="C.H. Chen and A.C. Kak",
TITLE="{3D-POLY: A Robot Vision System for Recognizing Objects in Occluded Environments}",
NUMBER="TR-EE 88-48",
INSTITUTION="{School of Electrical Engineering, Purdue University}",
YEAR=1988,
MONTH="December"
}

@article{chen-a-robot-smc-89,
AUTHOR="C.H. Chen and A.C. Kak",
TITLE="{A Robot Vision System for Recognizing 3-D Objects in Low-Order Polynomial Time}",
JOURNAL="IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics",
VOLUME=19, NUMBER=6, MONTH="November/December", YEAR=1989,
PAGES="1535-1563"}

@inproceedings{bergevin-generic-object-3dworkshop-89,
AUTHOR="Robert Bergevin and Martin D. Levine",
TITLE="{Generic Object Recognition: Building Coarse 3D Descriptions from Line Drawings}",
BOOKTITLE="{Proc. IEEE Workshop on Interpretation of 3D Scenes}",
CITY="Austin, Texas", MONTH="November", YEAR=1989, PAGES="68-74"
}

@inproceedings{eggert-computing-the-3dworkshop-89,
AUTHOR="David Eggert and Kevin Bowyer",
TITLE="{Computing the Orthographic Projection Aspect Graph of Solids of Revolution}",
BOOKTITLE="{Proc. IEEE Workshop on Interpretation of 3D Scenes}",
CITY="Austin, Texas",
MONTH="November",
YEAR=1989,
PAGES="102-108"
}

@inproceedings{sripradisvarakul-generating-aspect-3dworkshop-89,
AUTHOR="Thawach Sripradisvarakul and Ramesh Jain",
TITLE="{Generating Aspect Graphs for Curved Objects}",
BOOKTITLE="{Proc. IEEE Workshop on Interpretation of 3D Scenes}",
CITY="Austin, Texas",
MONTH="November",
YEAR=1989,
PAGES="109-115"
}

@book{hoffmann-geometric-and-book-89,
AUTHOR="Christoph M. Hoffmann",
TITLE="{Geometric \& Solid Modeling: An Introduction}",
PUBLISHER="Morgan Kaufmann",
YEAR=1989
}

@incollection{jain-report-1988-book-90,
AUTHOR="Ramesh C. Jain and Anil K. Jain",
TITLE="{Report: 1988 NSF Range Image Understanding Workshop}",
BOOKTITLE="{Analysis and Interpretation of Range Images}",
EDITOR="Ramesh C. Jain and Anil K. Jain",
PUBLISHER="Springer-Verlag",
YEAR=1990,
PAGES="1-31"
}

@book{jain-analysis-and-book-90,
AUTHOR="Ramesh C. Jain and Anil K. {Jain (eds.)}",
TITLE="{Analysis and Interpretation of Range Images}",
PUBLISHER="Springer-Verlag",
YEAR=1990}

@incollection{tanaka-a-rule-book-90,
AUTHOR="S. Tanaka and A. C. Kak",
TITLE="{A Rule-Based Approach to Binocular Stereopsis}",
BOOKTITLE="{Analysis and Interpretation of Range Images}",
EDITOR="Ramesh C. Jain and Anil K. Jain",
PUBLISHER="Springer-Verlag",
YEAR=1990,
PAGES="33-139"
}

@incollection{besl-geometric-signal-book-90,
AUTHOR="Paul J. Besl",
TITLE="{Geometric Signal Processing}",
BOOKTITLE="{Analysis and Interpretation of Range Images}",
EDITOR="Ramesh C. Jain and Anil K. Jain",
PUBLISHER="Springer-Verlag",
YEAR=1990,
PAGES="141-205"
}

@inproceedings{gupta-quantitative-and-3dworkshop-89,
AUTHOR="A. Gupta and L. Bogoni and R. Bajcsy",
TITLE="{Quantitative and Qualitative Measures for the Evaluation of the Superquadric Models}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. IEEE Workshop on Interpretation of 3D Scenes",
YEAR=1989, PAGES="162-169"}

@incollection{bajcsy-segmentation-versus-book-90,
AUTHOR="Ruzena Bajcsy and Franc Solina and Alok Gupta",
TITLE="{Segmentation versus Object Representation--Are They Separable?}",
BOOKTITLE="{Analysis and Interpretation of Range Images}",
EDITOR="Ramesh C. Jain and Anil K. Jain",
PUBLISHER="Springer-Verlag",
YEAR=1990,
PAGES="207-223"
}

@incollection{stockman-object-recognition-book-90,
AUTHOR="George Stockman",
TITLE="{Object Recognition}",
BOOKTITLE="{Analysis and Interpretation of Range Images}",
EDITOR="Ramesh C. Jain and Anil K. Jain",
PUBLISHER="Springer-Verlag",
YEAR=1990,
PAGES="225-253"
}

@incollection{corby-applications-of-book-90,
AUTHOR="N. R. Corby and J. L. Mundy",
TITLE="{Applications of Range Image Sensing and Processing}",
BOOKTITLE="{Analysis and Interpretation of Range Images}",
EDITOR="Ramesh C. Jain and Anil K. Jain",
PUBLISHER="Springer-Verlag",
YEAR=1990,
PAGES="255-272"
}

@incollection{hebert-3-D-book-90,
AUTHOR="Martial Hebert and Takeo Kanade and InSo Kweon",
TITLE="{3-D Vision Techniques for Autonomous Vehicles}",
BOOKTITLE="{Analysis and Interpretation of Range Images}",
EDITOR="Ramesh C. Jain and Anil K. Jain",
PUBLISHER="Springer-Verlag",
YEAR=1990,
PAGES="273-337"
}

@incollection{chaudhary-parallelism-in-book-90,
AUTHOR="Vipin Chaudhary and J. K. Aggarwal",
TITLE="{Parallelism in Computer Vision: A Review}",
BOOKTITLE="{Parallel Algorithms for Machine Intelligence and Vision}",
EDITOR="Vipin Kumar and P.G. Gopalakrishnan and Laveen N. Kanal",
PUBLISHER="Springer-Verlag",
YEAR=1990,
PAGES="271-309"}

@incollection{aggarwal-multisensor-fusion-book-90,
AUTHOR="J. K. Aggarwal and N. Nandhakumar",
TITLE="{Multisensor Fusion for Automatic Scene Interpretation}",
BOOKTITLE="{Analysis and Interpretation of Range Images}",
EDITOR="Ramesh C. Jain and Anil K. Jain",
PUBLISHER="Springer-Verlag",
YEAR=1990,
PAGES="339-361"
}

@book{rogers-mathematical-elements-book-90,
AUTHOR="David F. Rogers and J. Alan Adams",
TITLE="{Mathematical Elements for Computer Graphics}",
EDITION="Second",
PUBLISHER="McGraw-Hill",
YEAR=1990
}

@book{rogers-procedural-elements-book-85,
AUTHOR="David F. Rogers",
TITLE="{Procedural Elements for Computer Graphics}",
PUBLISHER="McGraw-Hill",
YEAR=1985
}

@book{samet-the-design-book-90,
AUTHOR="Hanan Samet",
TITLE="{The Design and Analysis of Spatial Data Structures}",
PUBLISHER="{Addison-Wesley}", YEAR=1990
}

@article{jain-report-on-mva-89,
AUTHOR="Ramesh C. Jain and Anil K. Jain",
TITLE="{Report on Range Image Understanding Workshop, East Lansing, Michigan, March 21--23, 1988}",
JOURNAL="{Machine Vision and Applications}",
VOLUME=2, PAGES="45-60", YEAR=1989
}

@inproceedings{swain-object-recognition-darpaiu-88,
AUTHOR="Michael Swain",
TITLE="{Object Recognition from a Large Database Using a Decision Tree}",
BOOKTITLE="{Proc. 1988 DARPA Image Understanding Workshop}",
YEAR=1988, PAGES="690-696"
}

@inproceedings{reeves-shape-analysis-cvpr-85,
TITLE="{Shape Analysis of Three Dimensional Objects Using Range Information}",
AUTHORS="Anthony P. Reeves and Richard J. Prokop and Russell W. Taylor",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. 1985 IEEE Conf. on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition",
YEAR=1985, PAGES="452-457"
}

@article{bhanu-recognition-of-pr-89,
AUTHOR="Bir Bhanu and Lawrence A. Nuttall",
TITLE="{Recognition of 3-D Objects in Range Images Using a Butterfly Multiprocessor}",
JOURNAL=pr,
VOLUME=22, NUMBER=1, YEAR=1989, PAGES="49-64"}

@inproceedings{bhanu-clustering-based-icpr-86,
AUTHOR="Bir Bhanu and John C. Ming",
TITLE="{Clustering Based Recognition of Occluded Objects}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. 8th Int. Conf. on Pattern Recognition",
PAGES="732-734", YEAR=1986, CITY="Paris"
}

@inproceedings{shu-reordering-of-icpr-86,
AUTHOR="David B. Shu and C. C. Li",
TITLE="{Reordering of Surface Feature Vectors in Training for 3-D Object Recognition}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. 8th Int. Conf. on Pattern Recognition",
PAGES="111-115",
YEAR=1986,
CITY="Paris"
}

@inproceedings{shu-an-approach-icra-86,
AUTHOR="David B. Shu and C. C. Li and Y. N. Sun",
TITLE="{An Approach to 3-D Object Identification Using Range Images}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. 1986 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation",
PAGES="118-125"
}

@inproceedings{ponce-using-generic-darpaiu-88,
AUTHOR="Jean Ponce and Glenn Healy",
TITLE="{Using Generic Geometric and Physical Models For Representing Solids}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. DARPA Image Understanding Workshop",
YEAR=1988,
PAGES="488-503"
}

@inproceedings{morgenthaler-the-ita-darpaiu-87,
TITLE="{The ITA Range Image Processing System}",
AUTHOR="David G. Morgenthaler and Keith D. Gremban and Mitch Nathan and John D. Bradstreet",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. DARPA Image Understanding Workshop",
YEAR=1987,
PAGES="127-142"
}

@inproceedings{magee-multilevel-vision-icra-89,
AUTHOR="Michael Magee and Jeffrey Becker and Donald Mathis and Cheryl Sklain and William Wolfe",
TITLE="{Multilevel Vision Based Spatial Reasoning for Robotic Tasks}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. 1989 IEEE Int. Conf. Robotics and Automation",
CITY="Scottsdale, Arizona",
PAGES="503-508",
YEAR=1989
}

@inproceedings{sanderson-attributed-image-icra-89,
AUTHOR="Arthur C. Sanderson and Nigel Foster",
TITLE="{Attributed Image Matching Using a Minimum Representation Size Criterion}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. 1989 IEEE Int. Conf. Robotics and Automation",
CITY="Scottsdale, Arizona",
PAGES="360-365",
YEAR=1989
}

@inproceedings{mulgaonkar-scene-description-icra-89,
TITLE="{Scene Description for Object manipulation in Unstructured Environments}",
AUTHOR="Prasanna G. Mulgaonkar and Jeff DeCurtins",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. 1989 IEEE Int. Conf. Robotics and Automation",
CITY="Scottsdale, Arizona",
PAGES="354-359",
YEAR=1989
}

@inproceedings{ellis-uncertainty-estimates-icra-89,
TITLE="{Uncertainty Estimates for Polyhedral Object Recognition}",
AUTHOR="R.E. Ellis",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. 1989 IEEE Int. Conf. Robotics and Automation",
CITY="Scottsdale, Arizona",
PAGES="348-353",
YEAR=1989
}

@inproceedings{allen-haptic-object-icra-89,
TITLE="{Haptic Object Recognition Using a Multi-Fingered Dextrous Hand}",
AUTHOR="Peter K. Allen and Kenneth S. Roberts",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. 1989 IEEE Int. Conf. Robotics and Automation",
CITY="Scottsdale, Arizona",
PAGES="342-347",
YEAR=1989
}

@inproceedings{kriegman-computing-aspect-3dworkshop-89,
AUTHOR="David J. Kriegman and Jean Ponce",
TITLE="{Computing Exact Aspect Graphs of Curved Objects: Solids of Revolution}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. IEEE Workshop on Interpretation of 3D Scenes",
YEAR=1989, PAGES="116-122"}

@inproceedings{allen-acquisition-and-3dworkshop-89,
AUTHOR="P.K. Allen and P. Michaelman",
TITLE="{Acquisition and Interpretation of 3-D Sensor Data from Touch}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. IEEE Workshop on Interpretation of 3D Scenes",
YEAR=1989, PAGES="33-40"}

@inproceedings{alevizos-on-the-icra-89,
TITLE="{On the Order induced by a set of rays: Application to the probing of non convex polygons}",
AUTHOR="P. Alevizos and J.D. Boissonnat and M. Yvinec",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. 1989 IEEE Int. Conf. Robotics and Automation",
CITY="Scottsdale, Arizona",
PAGES="202-207",
YEAR=1989
}

@inproceedings{aubry-biulding-hierarchical-icra-89,
TITLE="{Building Hierarchical Solid Models from Sensor Data}",
AUTHOR="St\'{e}phane Aubry and Vincent Hayward",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. 1989 IEEE Int. Conf. Robotics and Automation",
CITY="Scottsdale, Arizona",
PAGES="196-201",
YEAR=1989
}

@inproceedings{srinivasan-computational-geometric-icra-89,
TITLE="{Computational Geometric Methods in Volumetric Intersection for 3D Reconstruction}",
AUTHOR="Partha Srinivasan and Ping Liang and Susan Hackwood",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. 1989 IEEE Int. Conf. Robotics and Automation",
CITY="Scottsdale, Arizona",
PAGES="190-195",
YEAR=1989
}

@inproceedings{gatrell-cad-based-icra-89,
TITLE="{CAD-Based Grasp Synthesis Utilizing Polygons, Edges, and Vertices}",
AUTHOR="Lance B. Gatrell",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. 1989 IEEE Int. Conf. Robotics and Automation",
CITY="Scottsdale, Arizona",
PAGES="184-189",
YEAR=1989
}

@inproceedings{grandjean-3-d-icra-89,
TITLE="{3-D Modeling of Indoor Scenes by Fusion of Noisy Range and Stereo Data}",
AUTHOR="Pierrick Grandjean",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. 1989 IEEE Int. Conf. Robotics and Automation",
CITY="Scottsdale, Arizona",
PAGES="681-687",
YEAR=1989
}

@inproceedings{woodham-determining-surface-icra-89,
AUTHOR="Robert J. Woodham",
TITLE="{Determining Surface Curvature with Photometric Stereo}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. 1989 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation",
PAGES="36-42", YEAR=1989, MONTH="May"
}

@article{blinn-platonic-solids-cga-87,
AUTHOR="James F. Blinn", TITLE="{Platonic Solids}", JOURNAL=cga,
YEAR=1987, PAGES="62-66", MONTH="November"
}

@article{casale-free-form-cga-87,
AUTHOR="Malcolm S. Casale",
TITLE="{Free-Form Solid Modeling with Trimmed Surface Patches}",
JOURNAL=cga,
YEAR=1987, MONTH="January", PAGES="33-43"
}

@article{piegl-infinite-control-cga-87,
AUTHOR="L. Piegl",
TITLE="{Infinite Control Points - A Method for Representing Surfaces of Revolution Using Boundary Data}",
JOURNAL=cga,
MONTH="March", YEAR=1987, PAGES="45-55"
}

@article{hardwick-comparison-of-cga-87,
AUTHOR="Martin Hardswick and David L. Spooner",
TITLE="{Comparison of Some Data models for Engineering Objects}",
JOURNAL=cga, MONTH="March", YEAR=1987, PAGES="56-66"
}

@article{wilson-a-short-cga-87,
AUTHOR="Peter R. Wilson",
TITLE="{A Short History of CAD Data Transfer Standards}",
JOURNAL=cga,  MONTH="June", YEAR=1987, PAGES="64-67"
}

@article{grabowski-iges-model-cga-87,
AUTHORS="H. Grabowski and R. Glatz",
TITLE="{IGES Model Comparison System: A Tool for Testing and Validating IGES Procressors}",
JOURNAL=cga,
MONTH="November",
YEAR=1987,
PAGES="47-57"
}

@article{lee-machine-understanding-cga-87,
AUTHOR="Y.C. Lee and K.S. Fu",
TITLE="{Machine Understanding of CSG: Extraction and Unification of Manufacturing Features}",
JOURNAL="IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications",
YEAR=1987,
PAGES="20-32",
MONTH="January"
}

@article{wilson-conic-representations-cga-87,
TITLE="{Conic Representations for Shape Description}",
AUTHOR="Peter R. Wilson",
JOURNAL=cga, VOLUME=7, NUMBER=4, PAGES="23-30", YEAR=1987
}

@article{lee-a-pattern-ai-88,
AUTHOR="Kai-Fu Lee and Sanjoy Mahajan",
TITLE="{A Pattern Classification Approach to Evaluation Function Learning}",
JOURNAL=ai,
VOLUME=36, NUMBER=1, PAGES="1-25", YEAR=1988
}

@article{terzopoulos-constrints-on-ai-88,
AUTHOR="Demetri Terzopoulos and Andrew Witkin and Michael Kass",
TITLE="{Constraints on Deformable Models: Recovering 3D Shape and Nonrigid Motion}",
JOURNAL=ai, VOLUME=36, NUMBER=1, PAGES="91-123", YEAR=1988
}

@techreport{al-hujzai-range-image-tr-89,
AUTHOR="Ezzet Al-Hujazzi and Arun K. Sood",
TITLE="{Range Image Segmentation with Applications to Robot Bin-Picking Using Vacuum Gripper}",
NUMBER="CV-89-1",
INSTITUTION="Computer Vision and Distributed Systems Research Laboratory, School of Information Technology and Engineering, George Mason University",
YEAR=1989}

@phdthesis{wu-recognizing-and-thesis-88,
AUTHOR="Hsianglung Wu",
TITLE="{Recognizing and Locating Three-Dimensional Objects From Range Data Using Feature Extraction by Demand}",
SCHOOL="Department of Computer Engineering and Science, Case Western Reserve University",
YEAR=1988
}

@article{hall-measuring-curved-computer-82,
AUTHOR="Ernest L. Hall and James K. B. Tio and Charles A. McPherson and Firooz A. Sadjadi",
TITLE="{Measuring Curved Surfaces for Robot Vision}",
JOURNAL="COMPUTER", YEAR=1982, PAGES="42-54", VOLUME=15, NUMBER=12,
MONTH="December"
}

@incollection{lu-synthesis-of-book-88,
AUTHOR="S. W. Lu and A. K. C. Wong",
TITLE="{Synthesis of Attributed Hypergraphs for Knowledge Representation of 3-D Objects}",
BOOKTITLE="Pattern Recognition", EDITOR="J. Kittler",
SERIES="Lecture Notes in Computer Science", VOLUME=301, YEAR=1988,
PUBLISHER="Springer-Verlag"
}

@inproceedings{lu-recognition-of-syroco-85,
AUTHOR="S. W. Lu and A. K. C. Wong and M. Rioux",
TITLE="{Recognition of 3-D Objects in Range Images by Attributed Hypergraph Monomorphism and Synthesis}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. 1st IFAC Symp. on Robot Control (SYROCO '85)",
YEAR=1985, PAGES="389-394", ADDRESS="Barcelona", MONTH="November"
}

@inproceedings{lu-analysis-of-icpr-88,
TITLE="{Analysis of 3-D Scene with Partially Occluded Objects for Robot Vision}",
AUTHOR="Siwei Lu and Andrew K. C. Wong",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. 9th Int. Conf. on Pattern Recognition",
ADDRESS="Rome", YEAR=1988, MONTH="November", PAGES="303-308"
}

@inproceedings{potmesil-generating-models-ijcai-83,
AUTHOR="M. Potmesil",
TITLE="{Generating Models of Solid Objects by Matching 3D Surface Segments}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. 1983 Int. Jt. Conf. on Artificial Intelligence",
MONTH="August", YEAR=1983, PAGES="1089-1093"
}

@inproceedings{chien-construction-of-cvpr-88,
AUTHOR="C. H. Chien and Y. B. Sim and J. K. Aggarwal",
TITLE="{Construction of Volume-Surface Octree from Range Data}",
BOOKTITLE=cvpr88,
MONTH="June", YEAR="1988", PAGES="254-260"
}

@article{martin-volumetric-descriptions-pami-83,
AUTHOR="Worthy N. Martin and J. K. Aggarwal",
TITLE="{Volumetric Descriptions of Objects From Multiple Views}",
JOURNAL=pami, VOLUME="PAMI-5", NUMBER=2, MONTH="March", YEAR=1983,
PAGES="150-158"
}

@inproceedings{veenstra-efficient-octree-cvpr-86,
AUTHOR="Jack Veenstra and Narendra Ahuja",
TITLE="{Efficient Octree Generation from Silhouettes}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. 1986 IEEE Conf. on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition",
MONTH="June",YEAR=1986,PAGES="537-542"
}

@article{chien-volume-surface-cvgip-86,
AUTHOR="C. H. Chien and J. K. Aggarwal",
TITLE="{Volume/Surface Octrees for the Representation of Three-Dimensional Objects}",
JOURNAL=cvgip, VOLUME=36, YEAR=1986, PAGES="100-113"
}

@article{shneier-model-based-cvgip-86,
AUTHOR="Michael O. Shneier and Ronald Lumia and Ernest W. Kent",
TITLE="{Model-Based Strategies for High-Level Robot Vision}",
JOURNAL=cvgip, VOLUME=33, YEAR=1986, PAGES="293-306"
}

@techreport{chen-computing-a-tr-87,
AUTHOR="Sei-Wang Chen and George Stockman and Neelima Shrikhande",
TITLE="{Computing a Pose Hypothesis from a Small Set of 3-D Object Features}",
NUMBER="MSU-ENGR-87-001",
INSTITUTION="Department of Computer Science, Michigan State University",
YEAR=1987}

@phdthesis{chen-3d-representation-thesis-89,
AUTHOR="Sei-Wang Chen",
TITLE="3D Representation and Recognition Using Object Wings",
SCHOOL="Department of Computer Science,  Michigan State University",
YEAR="1989"
}

@article{defigueiredo-a-framework-titechjournal-87,
AUTHOR="{Rui J.P.} deFigueriedo",
TITLE="{A Framework for Automation of 3D Machine Vision}",
JOURNAL="TI Technical Journal", YEAR=1987, PAGES="62-72"
}

@inproceedings{rosenfeld-recognizing-unexpected-darpaiu-87,
AUTHOR="Azriel Rosenfeld",
TITLE="{Recognizing Unexpected Objects: A Proposed Approach}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. DARPA Image Understanding Workshop",
YEAR="1987", PAGES="620-627"
}

@article{kak-knowledge-based-ijpr-88,
AUTHOR="A.C. Kak and A.J. Vayda and R.L. Cromwell and W.Y. Kim and C.H. Chen",
TITLE="{Knowledge-based Robotics}",
JOURNAL="Int. J. Prod. Res.", VOLUME=26, NUMBER=5, PAGES="707-734", YEAR=1988
}

@article{walker-geometric-reasoning-ai-88,
AUTHOR="Ellen Lowenfeld Walker and Martin Herman",
TITLE="{Geometric Reasoning for Constructing 3D Scene Descriptions from Images}",
JOURNAL="Artificial Intelligence",
VOLUME=37, PAGES="275-290", YEAR=1988
}

@article{ballard-viewer-independent-pami-83,
AUTHOR="Dana H. Ballard and Daniel Sabbah",
TITLE="{Viewer Independent Shape Recognition}",
JOURNAL=pami, VOLUME="PAMI-5", NUMBER=6, PAGES="653-660", YEAR=1983
}

@article{cyganski-object-recognition-advances-88,
AUTHOR="D. Cyganski and J.A. Orr",
TITLE="{Object Recognition and Orientation Determination by Tensor Methods}",
BOOKTITLE="{Advances in Computer Vision and Image Processing}",
VOLUME=3, PAGES="101-144", YEAR=1988, PUBLISHER="JAI Press"
}

@article{engelbrecht-polyhedral-object-pr-88,
AUTHOR="Jan R. Engelbrecht and Friedrich M. Wahl",
TITLE="{Polyhedral Object Recognition Using Hough-Space Features}",
JOURNAL=pr, VOLUME=21, NUMBER=6, PAGES="155-168", YEAR=1988
}

@article{ben-arie-3d-objects-cvgip-87,
TITLE="{3D Objects Recognition by Optimal Matching Search of Multinary Relations Graphs}",
AUTHOR="Jezekiel Ben-Arie and A. Zvi Meiri",
JOURNAL=cvgip, VOLUME=37, PAGES="345-361", YEAR=1987
}

@book{shirai-three-dimensional-book-87,
AUTHOR="Yoshiaki Shirai",
TITLE="{Three-Dimensional Computer Vision}",
PUBLISHER="Springer-Verlag", YEAR=1987
}

@book{brooks-model-based-book-84,
AUTHOR="Rodney A. Brooks",
TITLE="{Model-Based Computer Vision}",
PUBLISHER="UMI Research Press", YEAR=1984
}

@book{brown-advances-in-book-88,
EDITOR="Christopher Brown",
TITLE="Advances in Computer Vision",
PUBLISHER="Lawrence Erlbaum Associates", YEAR=1988
}

@book{woodwark-computing-shape-book-86,
TITLE="{Computing Shape}", AUTHOR="John Woodwark", PUBLISHER="Butterworths",
YEAR=1986
}

@article{choi-triangulation-of-cad-88,
AUTHOR="B. K. Choi and H. Y. Shin and Y. I Woon and J. W. Lee",
TITLE="{Triangulation of Scattered Data in 3D Space}",
JOURNAL="Computer Aided Design", VOLUME=20, NUMBER=5, PAGES="239-248",
YEAR=1988, MONTH="June"
}

@article{pasquill-practical-uses-cad-88,
AUTHOR="K. G. Pasquill", TITLE="{Practical Uses of IGES}",
JOURNAL="Computer Aided Design", VOLUME=20, NUMBER=6, PAGES="x-x", YEAR=1988,
MONTH="July/August"
}

@article{asteasu-intersection-of-cad-88,
AUTHOR="C. Asteasu", TITLE="{Intersection of Arbitrary Surfaces}",
JOURNAL="Computer Aided Design", VOLUME=20, NUMBER=9, PAGES="x-x", YEAR=1988,
MONTH="November"
}

@article{aldefeld-variation-of-cad-88,
AUTHOR="B. Aldfeld",
TITLE="{Variation of Geometries Based on a Geometric-Reasoning Method}",
JOURNAL="Computer Aided Design", VOLUME=20,NUMBER=3, MONTH="April",
YEAR=1988, PAGES="x-x"
}

@article{goldman-analytic-approach-cad-87,
AUTHOR="R. N. Goldman and T. W. Sederberg",
TITLE="{Analytic Approach to Intersection of All Piecewise Parametric Rational Cubic Curves}",
JOURNAL="Computer Aided Design", VOLUME=19, NUMBER=6, MONTH="August", YEAR=1987,
PAGES="x-x"
}

@article{woodwark-speculations-on-cad-88,
AUTHOR="J. R. Woodwark",
TITLE="{Some Speculations on Feature Recognition}",
JOURNAL="Computer Aided Design", VOLUME=20, NUMBER=4, MONTH="May", YEAR=1988,
PAGES="x-x"
}

@article{stockman-object-recognition-cvgip-87,
AUTHOR="George C. Stockman",
TITLE="{Object Recognition and Localization via Pose Clustering}",
JOURNAL=cvgip, VOLUME=40, PAGES="361-387", YEAR=1987
}

@inproceedings{chen-object-wings-cvpr-89,
AUTHOR="Sei-Wang Chen and George Stockman",
TITLE="{Object Wings-2 1/2-D Primitives for 3-D Recognition}",
BOOKTITLE=cvpr89,
MONTH="June", YEAR=1989, PAGES="535-540"
}

@inproceedings{grimson-the-combinatorics-iccv-88,
AUTHOR="W. Eric L. Grimson",
TITLE="{The Combinatorics of Object Recognition in Cluttered Environments using Constrained Search}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. 1988 Int. Conf. on Computer Vision (ICCV '88)",
YEAR=1988,
PAGES="218-227"
}

@techreport{grimson-the-combinatorics-tr-88,
AUTHOR="W. Eric L. Grimson",
TITLE="{The Combinatorics of Object Recognition in Cluttered Environments using Constrained Search}",
NUMBER="1019",
YEAR=1988,
INSTITUTION="AI Laboratory Massachusetts Institute of Technology"}

@article{jain-evidence-based-pami-88,
TITLE="{Evidence-Based Recognition of 3-D Objects}",
AUTHOR="Anil K. Jain and Richard L. Hoffman",
JOURNAL=pami,
VOLUME=10,
NUMBER=6,
MONTH="November",
YEAR=1988,
PAGES="783-802"
}

@inproceedings{hoffman-learning-rules-cvpr-88,
AUTHOR="Richard L. Hoffman and Anil K. Jain",
TITLE="{Learning Rules for 3D Object Recognition}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. IEEE 1988 Conf. on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition",
MONTH="June",
YEAR=1988,
PAGES="885-892"
}

@article{shneier-prediction-based-computer-87,
AUTHOR="Michael O. Shneier and Ronald Lumia and Martin Herman",
TITLE="{Prediction-Based Vision for Robot Control}",
JOURNAL="Computer",
VOLUME="20",
NUMBER="8",
MONTH="August",
YEAR="1987",
PAGES="46-55"
}

@book{lowe-perceptual-organization-book-85,
AUTHOR="David G. Lowe",
TITLE="Perceptual Organization and Visual Recognition",
PUBLISHER="Kluwer",
YEAR=1985
}

@article{lowe-three-dimensional-ai-87,
AUTHOR="David G. Lowe",
TITLE="{Three-Dimensional Object Recognition from Single Two-Dimensional Images}",
JOURNAL=ai,
VOLUME=31,
YEAR=1987,
PAGES="355-395"
}

@article{edelsbrunner-constructing-arrangements-siamjc-86,
AUTHOR="H. Edelsbrunner and J. O'Rourke and R. Seidel",
TITLE="{Constructing Arrangements of Lines and Hyperplanes with Applications}",
JOURNAL="SIAM J. Comput.",
VOLUME=15,
PAGES="341-363",
YEAR=1986
}

@techreport{plantinga-visibility-occlusion-tr-87,
AUTHOR="Harry Plantinga and Charles R. Dyer",
TITLE="{Visibility, Occlusion, and the Aspect Graph}",
INSTITUTION="Computer Sciences Department, University of Wisconsin--Madison",
NUMBER=736,
YEAR=1987,
MONTH="December"
}

@article{koenderink-the-singularities-biolcybern-76,
AUTHOR="J. J. Koenderink and A. J. van Doorn",
TITLE="{The Singularities of the Visual Mapping}",
JOURNAL="Biological Cybernetics",
VOLUME=24,
NUMBER=1,
PAGES="51-59",
YEAR=1976
}

@article{koenderink-the-internal-biolcybern-79,
AUTHOR="J. J. Koenderink and A. J. van Doorn",
TITLE="{Internal Representation of Solid Spahe with Respect to Vision}",
JOURNAL="Biological Cybernetics",
VOLUME=32,
NUMBER=4,
PAGES="211-216",
YEAR=1979
}

@inproceedings{shapiro-the-use-icpr-88,
AUTHOR="Linda G. Shapiro and Haiyuan Lu",
TITLE="{The Use of a Relational Pyramid Representation for View Classes in a CAD-to-Vision System}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. 9th Int. Conf. on Pattern Recognition",
MONTH="November",
YEAR=1988,
PAGES="379-381"
}

@inproceedings{hansen-towards-the-iccv-88,
TITLE="{Towards the Automatic Generation of Recognition Strategies}",
AUTHOR="Charles Hansen and Thomas Henderson",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. 2nd Int. Conf. on Computer Vision",
MONTH="December",
YEAR=1988,
PAGES="275-279"
}

@inproceedings{stewman-creating-the-iccv-88,
AUTHOR="John Stewman and Kevin Bowyer",
TITLE="{Creating the Perspective Projection Aspect Graph of Polyhedral Objects}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. 2nd Int. Conf. on Computer Vision",
MONTH="December",
YEAR=1988,
PAGES="494-500"
}

@inproceedings{stark-aspect-graphs-iccv-88,
AUTHOR="Louise Stark and David Eggert and Kevin Bowyer",
TITLE="{Aspect Graphs and Nonlinear Optimization in 3-D Object Recognition}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. 2nd Int. Conf. on Computer Vision",
MONTH="December",
YEAR=1988,
PAGES="501-507"
}

@article{gigus-computing-the-pami-90,
AUTHOR="Ziv Gigus and Jitendra Malik",
TITLE="{Computing the Aspect Graph for Line Drawings of Polyhedral Objects}",
JOURNAL=pami,
VOLUME=12, NUMBER=2, YEAR=1990, PAGES="113-122", MONTH="February"}

@inproceedings{gigus-efficiently-computing-iccv-88,
AUTHOR="Ziv Gigus and John Canny and Raimund Seidel",
TITLE="{Efficiently Computing and Representing Aspect Graphs of Polyhedral Objects}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. 2nd Int. Conf. on Computer Vision",
MONTH="December",
YEAR=1988,
PAGES="30-39"
}

@inproceedings{bowyer-errors-2-icpr-88,
AUTHOR="Kevin Bowyer and John Stewman and Louise Stark and David Eggert",
TITLE="{ERRORS-2: A 3-D Object Recognition System Using Aspect Graphs}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. 9th Int. Conf. on Pattern Recognition",
MONTH="November",
YEAR=1988,
PAGES="6-10"
}

@article{korn-3-d-pr-87,
AUTHOR="Matthew R. Korn and Charles R. Dyer",
TITLE="{3-D Multiview Object Representations for Model-Based Object Recognition}",
JOURNAL=pr,
VOLUME=20,
NUMBER=1,
PAGES="91-103",
YEAR=1987
}

@inproceedings{stewman-aspect-graphs-workshop-87,
TITLE="{Aspect Graphs for Convex Planar-Face Objects}",
AUTHOR="John H. Stewman and Kevin W. Boyer",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. 1987 IEEE Workshop on Computer Vision",
MONTH="November",
YEAR=1987,
PAGES="123-130"
}

@inproceedings{kender-what-is-darpaiu-87,
AUTHOR="John R. Kender and David G. Frudenstein",
TITLE="{What Is A ``Degenerate'' View\?}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. DARPA Image Understanding Workshop",
YEAR=1987,
PAGES="589-598"
}

@inproceedings{bolle-differential-geometry-spie754-87,
AUTHOR="Ruud M. Bolle and Daniel Sabbah",
TITLE="{Differential Geometry Applied to Least-Square Error Surface Approximations}",
BOOKTITLE="Optical and Digital Pattern Recognition",
VOLUME="754", PUBLISHER="SPIE", PAGES="117-127", YEAR=1987 }

@inproceedings{bolle-visual-recognition-cvpr-89,
AUTHOR="Ruud M. Bolle and Andrea Califano and Rick Kjeldsen and Russel W. Taylor",
TITLE="{Visual Recognition Using Concurrent and Layered Parameter Networks}",
BOOKTITLE=cvpr89,
PAGES="625-631", YEAR=1989, CITY="San Diego"}

@inproceedings{gigus-computing-the-cvpr-88,
AUTHOR="Ziv Gigus and Jitendra Malik",
TITLE="{Computing the Aspect Graph for Line Drawings of Polyhedral Objects}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. IEEE 1988 Conf. on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition",
PAGES="654-661",
MONTH="June",
YEAR="1988"
}

@inproceedings{callahan-a-model-cvpr-85,
TITLE="{A Model for Describing Surface Shape}",
AUTHOR="James Callahan and Richard Weiss",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. IEEE 1985 Conf. on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition",
PAGES="240-245",
MONTH="June",
YEAR="1985"
}

@manual{geomod-4.0,
AUTHOR="{Structural Dynamics Research Corporation}",
TITLE="{Geomod 4.0 User Guide}",
YEAR=1988
}

@book{farin-curves-and-book-88,
AUTHOR="Gerald Farin",
TITLE="{Curves and Surfaces for Computer Aided Geometric Design: A Practical Guide}",
PUBLISHER="Academic Press",
YEAR=1988
}

@book{farin-geometric-modeling-87,
EDITOR="Gerald Farin",
TITLE="Geometric Modeling: Algorithms and New Trends",
PUBLISHER="SIAM",
YEAR=1987
}

@article{computer-cad-issue,
TITLE="{Guest Editor's Introduction, Special Issue on CAD-Based Robot Vision}",
AUTHOR="Bir {Bhanu (ed.)}",
JOURNAL="COMPUTER",
MONTH="August",
YEAR="1987"
}

@article{hu-3-d-pami-88,
AUTHOR="Gongzhu Hu and George C. Stockman",
TITLE="{3-D Surface Solution Using Structured Light and Constraint Propagation}",
JOURNAL=pami, VOLUME="11", YEAR="1989", PAGES="390-402"
}

@inproceedings{sander-stable-surface-icpr-86,
AUTHOR="Peter T. Sander and Steven W. Zucker",
TITLE="{Stable Surface Estimation}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. 8th Int. Conf. Pattern Recognition",
MONTH="October",
YEAR=1986,
PAGES="1165-1167"
}

@inproceedings{sander-tracing-surfaces-iccv-87,
AUTHOR="Peter T. Sander and Steven W. Zucker",
TITLE="{Tracing Surfaces for Surfacing Traces}",
BOOKTITLE="{Proc. First Int. Conf. on Computer Vision (ICCV '87)}",
PAGES="241-249",
YEAR=1987
}

@inproceedings{ittner-3-d-cvpr-85,
AUTHOR="David J. Ittner and Anil K. Jain",
TITLE="{3-D Surface Discrimination from Local Curvature Measures}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. IEEE 1985 Conf. on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition",
PAGES="119-123",
MONTH="June",
YEAR=1985
}

@inproceedings{naik-spline-based-cvpr-88,
AUTHOR="Sanjeev M. Naik and Ramesh C. Jain",
TITLE="{Spline-Based Surface Fitting on Range Images for CAD Applications}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. IEEE 1988 Conf. on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition",
PAGES="249-253",
MONTH="June",
YEAR="1988"
}

@inproceedings{ferrie-darboux-frames-3dworkshop-89,
AUTHOR="F.P. Ferrie and J. Lagarde and R. Bajcsy",
TITLE="{Darboux Frames, Snakes, and Super-Quadrics: Geometry from the Bottom-Up}",
BOOKTITLE="{Proc. IEEE Workshop on Interpretation of 3D Scenes}",
YEAR=1989, PAGES="170-176"}

@inproceedings{ferrie-deriving-coarse-cvpr-88,
AUTHOR="F.P. Ferrie and M.D. Levine",
TITLE="{Deriving Coarse 3D Models of Objects}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. IEEE 1988 Conf. on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition",
PAGES="345-353",
MONTH="June",
YEAR="1988"
}

@inproceedings{ferrie-piecing-together-cvpr-85,
AUTHOR="F. P. Ferrie and M. D. Levine",
TITLE="{Piecing Together the 3D Shape of Moving Objects: An Overview}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. 1985 IEEE Conf. on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition",
YEAR="1985",
PAGES="574-584"
}

@inproceedings{besl-robust-window-iccv-88,
AUTHOR="Paul J. Besl and Jeffrey B. Birch and Layne T. Watson",
TITLE="{Robust Window Operators}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. 1988 Int. Conf. on Computer Vision (ICCV '88)",
YEAR="1988",
PAGES=""
}

@book{docarmo-differential-geometry-book-76,
AUTHOR="M.P. do Carmo",
TITLE="{Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces}",
PUBLISHER="Prentice-Hall",
YEAR="1976"
}

@book{millman-elements-of-book-77,
AUTHOR="Richard S. Millman and George D. Parker",
TITLE="{Elements of Differential Geometry}",
PUBLISHER="Prentice-Hall",
YEAR="1977"
}

@article{besl-segmentation-through-pami-88,
AUTHOR="Paul J. Besl and Ramesh C. Jain",
TITLE="{Segmentation Through Variable-Order Surface Fitting}",
JOURNAL=pami,
VOLUME=9,
NUMBER=2,
PAGES="167-192",
YEAR="1988"
}

@article{besl-invariant-surface-cvgip-86,
AUTHOR="Paul J. Besl and Ramesh C. Jain",
TITLE="{Invariant Surface Characteristics for 3D Object Recognition in Range Images}",
JOURNAL=cvgip,
VOLUME="33",
PAGES="33-80",
YEAR="1986"
}

@article{yokoya-range-image-pami-89,
AUTHOR="Naokazu Yokoya and Martin D. Levine",
TITLE="{Range Image Segmentation Based on Differential Geometry: A Hybrid Approach}",
JOURNAL=pami, VOLUME=11, PAGES="643-649", NUMBER=6, MONTH="June", YEAR=1989}

@techreport{yokoya-range-image-tr-87,
AUTHOR="Naokazu Yokoya and Martin D. Levine",
TITLE="{Range Image Segmentation Based on Differential Geometry: A Hybrid Approach}",
INSTITUTION="McGill Research Centre for Intelligent Machines, McGill University",
YEAR="1987",
NUMBER="McRCIM-TR-CIM 87-16"
}

@inproceedings{bourdon-object-recognition-icpr-90,
AUTHOR="Olivier Bourdon and G\'{e}rard Medioni",
TITLE="{Object Recognition Using Geometric Hashing on the Connection Machine}",
BOOKTITLE=icpr90,
YEAR=1990,
PAGES="596-600"
}

@article{fan-segmented-descriptions-jra-87,
AUTHOR="Ting-Jun Fan and G\'{e}rard Medioni and Ramakant Nevatia",
TITLE="{Segmented Descriptions of 3-D Surfaces}",
JOURNAL="{IEEE Journal of Robotics and Automation}",
MONTH="December",
YEAR=1987, PAGES="527-538"
}

@article{fan-recognizing-3-pami-89,
AUTHOR="Ting-Jun Fan and G\'{e}rard Medioni and Ramakant Nevatia",
TITLE="{Recognizing 3-D Objects Using Surface Descriptions}",
JOURNAL=pami, VOLUME=11, NUMBER=11, PAGES="1140-1157", YEAR=1989
}

@inproceedings{fan-recognizing-3-iccv-88,
AUTHOR="T.J. Fan and G. Medioni and R. Nevatia",
TITLE="{Recognizing 3-D Objects Using Surface Descriptions}",
BOOKTITLE=iccv88,
MONTH="December",
YEAR=1988,
PAGES="474-481"
}

@inproceedings{fan-surface-segmentation-iu-87,
AUTHOR="T.J. Fan and G. Medioni and R. Nevatia",
TITLE="{Surface Segmentation and Description from Curvature Features}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. 1987 DARPA Image Understanding Workshop",
YEAR=1987,
PAGES="351-359"
}

@inproceedings{fan-description-of-cvpr-86,
AUTHOR="T.J. Fan and G. Medioni and R. Nevatia",
TITLE="{Description of Surfaces from Range Data Using Curvature Properties}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. 1986 IEEE Conf. on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition",
MONTH="May",
YEAR="1986",
PAGES="86-91"
}

@article{hayes-the-least-jima-74,
AUTHOR="J. G. Hayes and J. Halliday",
TITLE="{The Least-squares Fitting of Cubic Spline Surfaces to General Data Sets}",
JOURNAL="J. Inst. Maths Applics",
VOLUME="14",
PAGES="89-103",
YEAR="1974"
}

@article{dierckx-an-algorithm-jcam-77,
AUTHOR="P. Dierckx",
TITLE="{An Algorithm for least-squares fitting of cubic spline surfaces to functions on a rectilinear mesh over a rectangle}",
jOURNAL="J. Comput. Appl. Math.",
VOLUME="3",
NUMBER="2",
PAGES="113-129",
YEAR="1977"
}

@article{brown-padl-2-cga-82,
AUTHOR="Christopher M. Brown",
TITLE="{PADL-2:A Technical Summary}",
JOURNAL=cga,
VOLUME="2",
PAGES="69-84",
MONTH="March",
YEAR="1982"
}

@inproceedings{kak-knowledge-based-icra-87,
AUTHOR="A.C. Kak and A.J. Vayda and R.L. Cromwell and W.Y. Kim and C.H. Chen",
TITLE="{Knowledge-Based Robotics}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. 1987 Int. Conf. Robotics and Automation",
ADDRESS="Raleigh, North Carolina",
MONTH="March-April",
YEAR="1987",
PAGES="637-646"
}

@article{yang-determination-of-cvgip-86,
AUTHOR="H.S. Yang and A.C. Kak",
TITLE="{Determination of the Identity, Position, and Orientation of the Topmost Object in a Pile}",
JOURNAL=cvgip,
VOLUME=36,
PAGES="229-255",
YEAR=1986
}

@inproceedings{york-3-d-ijcai-81,
AUTHOR="Bryant W. York and Allen R. Hanson and Edward M. Riseman",
TITLE="{3D Object Representation and Matching with B-Splines and Surface Patches}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. 7th. Int. Jt. Conf. Artificial Intell.",
YEAR="1981",
PAGES="648-651"
}

@incollection{stockman-object-recognition-book-rii-89,
AUTHOR= "George C. Stockman",
TITLE= "Object Recognition",
BOOKTITLE="{Range Image Understanding}",
EDITOR="Ramesh C. Jain",
EDITOR="Anil K. Jain",
PUBLISHER="Springer-Verlag",
YEAR="forthcoming"
}

@article{chin-automated-visual-cvgip-88,
AUTHOR= "Roland T. Chin",
TITLE= "{Automated Visual Inspection: 1981 to 1987}",
JOURNAL=cvgip,
VOLUME="41",
PAGES="346-381",
YEAR="1988"
}

@article{coggins-a-spatial-prl-85,
AUTHOR="J. Coggins and A.K. Jain",
TITLE="{A Spatial Filtering Approach to Texture Analysis}",
JOURNAL=prl,
VOLUME=3, YEAR=1985, PAGES="195-203"}

@phdthesis{coggins-a-framework-thesis-82,
AUTHOR="James Coggins",
TITLE="{A Framework for Texture Analysis Based on Spatial Filtering}",
SCHOOL="Department of Computer Science, Michigan State University",
YEAR=1982
}

@phdthesis{hoffman-object-recognition-thesis-86,
AUTHOR= "Richard L. Hoffman",
TITLE= "{Object Recognition from Range Images}",
SCHOOL="Department of Computer Science,  Michigan State University",
YEAR="1986"
}

@article{hoffman-segmentation-and-pami-87,
AUTHOR="Richard L. Hoffman and Anil K. Jain",
TITLE="{Segmentation and Classification of Range Images}",
JOURNAL=pami,
VOLUME="PAMI-9",
NUMBER=5,
PAGES="608-620",
YEAR=1987,
MONTH="September"
}

@article{friedman-an-algorithm-toms-77,
AUTHOR= "Jerome H. Friedman and Jon Louis Bentley and Raphael Ari Finkel",
TITLE= "{An Algorithm for Finding Best Matches in Logarithmic Expected Time}",
JOURNAL=toms,
VOLUME="3",
NUMBER="3",
MONTH="September",
YEAR="1977",
PAGES="209-226"
}

@article{levin-mathematical-models-cgip-79,
AUTHOR= "Joshua Zev Levin",
TITLE= "{Mathematical Models for Determining the Intersections of Quadric Surfaces}",
JOURNAL=cgip,
VOLUME="11",
PAGES="73-87",
YEAR="1979"
}

@article{sarraga-algebraic-methods-cvgip-83,
AUTHOR= "Ramon F. Sarraga",
TITLE= "{Algebraic Methods for Intersections of Quadric Surfaces in GMSOLID}",
JOURNAL=cvgip,
VOLUME="22",
PAGES="222-238",
YEAR="1983"
}

@techreport{iges-3.0,
AUTHOR="{National Bureau of Standards}",
TITLE="{Initial Graphics Exchange Specification, Version 3.0}",
NUMBER="Publication PB86-199759",
INSTITUTION="U.S. National Bureau of Standards (National Engineering Laboratory)",
MONTH="April",
YEAR="1986"
}

@techreport{iges-4.0,
AUTHOR="{National Institute of Standards and Technology}",
TITLE= "{Initial Graphics Exchange Specification, Version 4.0}",
INSTITUTION="U.S. National Institute of Standards and Technology",
YEAR=1988
}

@article{grimson-model-based-ijrr-84,
AUTHOR= "W. Eric L. Grimson and Tom\'{a}s Lozano-P\'{e}rez",
TITLE= "{Model-Based Recognition and Localization from Sparse Range or Tactile Data}",
JOURNAL=ijrr,
VOLUME="3",
NUMBER="3",
PAGES="3-35",
MONTH="Fall",
YEAR="1984"
}

@article{murray-model-based-cvgip-87,
AUTHOR= "D.W. Murray",
TITLE= "{Model-Based Recognition Using 3D Shape Alone}",
JOURNAL=cvgip,
VOLUME="40",
PAGES="250-266",
YEAR="1987"
}

@article{binford-survey-of-ijrr-82,
AUTHOR= "Thomas O. Binford",
TITLE= "{Survey of Model-Based Image Analysis Systems}",
JOURNAL=ijrr,
VOLUME="1",
NUMBER="1",
MONTH="Spring",
YEAR="1982",
PAGES="18-64"
}

@incollection{besl-active-optical-book-sanz-88,
AUTHOR= "Paul J. Besl",
TITLE= "{Active Optical Range Imaging Sensors}",
BOOKTITLE="Advances in Machine Vision: Architectures and Applications",
EDITOR="J. L. C. Sanz",
PUBLISHER="Springer-Verlag",
YEAR="1988"
}

@article{nitzan-three-dimensional-pami-88,
AUTHOR= "David Nitzan",
TITLE= "{Three-Dimensional Vision Structure for Robot Applications}",
JOURNAL=pami,
VOLUME="10",
NUMBER="3",
PAGES="291-309",
MONTH="May",
YEAR="1988"
}

@phdthesis{poulo-three-dimensional-thesis-85,
AUTHOR= "Richard J. Poulo",
TITLE= "{Three Dimensional Recognition from Depth Images by Detailed Surface Encoding}",
SCHOOL="Department of Computer Science, Rutgers University",
YEAR="1985"
}

@phdthesis{silberberg-three-dimensional-thesis-84,
AUTHOR= "Teresa Marie Silberberg",
TITLE= "{Three Dimensional Object Recognition Using Linear Features and Oriented Model Points}",
SCHOOL="Department of Computer Science, University of Maryland",
YEAR="1984"
}

@article{silberberg-an-iterative-pr-84,
AUTHOR= "Teresa M. Silberberg and Larry Davis and David Harwood",
TITLE= "{An Iterative Hough Procedure for Three-Dimensional Object Recognition}",
JOURNAL=pr,
VOLUME="17",
NUMBER="6",
PAGES="621-629",
YEAR="1984"
}

@incollection{goad-fast-3d-book-pentland-86,
AUTHOR= "Chris Goad",
TITLE= "{Fast 3D Model-Based Vision}",
BOOKTITLE="From Pixels to Predicates",
EDITOR="Alex P. Pentland",
PUBLISHER="Ablex",
YEAR="1986",
PAGES="371-391"
}

@article{knoll-recognizing-partially-ijra-86,
AUTHOR= "Thomas F. Knoll",
AUTHOR= "Ramesh C. Jain",
TITLE= "{Recognizing Partially Visible Objects Using Feature Indexed Hypotheses}",
JOURNAL=jra,
VOLUME="RA-2",
NUMBER="1",
MONTH="March",
YEAR="1986",
PAGES="3-13"
}

@inproceedings{burns-recognition-in-ijcai-87,
AUTHOR= "J. Brian Burns and Leslie J. Kitchen",
TITLE= "{Recognition in 2D Images of 3D Objects from Large Model Bases Using Prediction Hierarchies}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. 10th Int. Joint. Conf. on Artificial Intell. (IJCAI-87)",
MONTH="August",
YEAR="1987",
PAGES="763-766"
}

@inproceedings{burns-rapid-object-darpaiu-88,
AUTHOR= "J. Brian Burns and Leslie J. Kitchen",
TITLE= "{Rapid Object Recognition From a Large Model Base Using Prediction Hierarchies}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. 1988 DARPA Image Understanding Workshop",
PAGES="711-719",
YEAR="1988"
}

@article{clowes-on-seeing-ai-71,
AUTHOR="M. B. Clowes",
TITLE="{On Seeing Things}",
JOURNAL="Artificial Intelligence",
VOLUME="2",
NUMBER="1",
YEAR="1971"
}

@inproceedings{magee-a-rule-cvpr-86,
AUTHOR= "Michael Magee and Mitchell Nathan",
TITLE= "{A Rule Based System for Pattern Recognition that Exploits Topological Constraints}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. 1986 IEEE Conf. on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition",
PAGES="62-67",
MONTH="June",
YEAR= "1986"
}

@article{tiller-rational-b-cga-83,
AUTHOR= "Wayne Tiller",
TITLE= "{Rational B-Splines for Curve and Surface Representation}",
JOURNAL=cga,
VOLUME="3",
NUMBER="6",
MONTH="September",
YEAR="1983",
PAGES="61-69"
}

@inproceedings{caponetti-a-three-cvpr-86,
AUTHOR= "L. Caponetti and M.T. Chiaradia and A. Distante and G. Pasquariello and A. Serafini and E. Stella and N. Ancona and G. Attolico",
TITLE= "{A Three-Dimensional Vision System for Bin-Picking}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. IEEE 1986 Conf. on Compuer Vision and Pattern Recognition",
MONTH="May",
YEAR= "1986",
PAGES="407-411"
}

@incollection{caponetti-three-dimensional-book-88,
AUTHOR= "L. Caponetti and A. Distante and N. Acona and R. Mugnuolo",
TITLE= "{Three-dimensional Object Recognition based on Multiview Representation and Extended Gaussian Image}",
BOOKTITLE="{Real-Time Object Measurement and Classification}",
EDITOR="Anil K. Jain",
SERIES="NATO ASI Series",
VOLUME="42",
PUBLISHER="Springer-Verlag",
YEAR="1988",
PAGES="227-249"
}

@inproceedings{connolly-matching-from-iccv-87,
AUTHOR= "C.I. Connolly and J.L. Mundy and J.R. Stenstrom and D.W. Thompson",
TITLE= "{Matching from 3-D Range Models into 2-D Intensity Scenes}",
BOOKTITLE=iccv87, MONTH="June", YEAR="1987", PAGES="65-72" }

@inproceedings{cyrluk-the-formation-darpaiu-87,
AUTHOR="D. Cyrluk and D. Kapur and J.L. Mundy and V. Nguyen",
TITLE="{The Formation of Partial 3D Models from 2D Projections - An Application of Algebraic Reasoning}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. DARPA Image Understanding Workshop",
YEAR=1987,
PAGES="798-809"
}

@article{brooks-symbolic-reasoning-ai-81,
AUTHOR= "Rodney A. Brooks",
TITLE= "{Symbolic Reasoning Among 3-D Models and 2-D Images}",
JOURNAL=ai,
VOLUME="17",
YEAR="1981",
PAGES="285-348",
NUMBER="1-3"
}

@article{brooks-model-based-pami-83,
AUTHOR= "Rodney A. Brooks",
TITLE= "{Model-Based Three-Dimensional Interpretations of Two-Dimensional Images}",
JOURNAL=pami,
VOLUME="PAMI-5",
NUMBER="2",
MONTH="March",
YEAR="1983",
PAGES="140-150"
}

@inproceedings{chakravarty-characteristic-views-spie-82,
AUTHOR= "I. Chakravarty and H. Freeman",
TITLE= "{Characteristic Views as a Basis for Three-Dimensional Object Recognition}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. SPIE Conf. on Robot Vision",
VOLUME="336",
MONTH="May",
YEAR="1982",
PAGES="37-45"
}

@inproceedings{bajcsy-three-dimensional-iccv-87,
AUTHOR= "Ruzena Bajcsy and Franc Solina",
TITLE= "{Three Dimensional Object Representation Revisited}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. 1st Int. Conf. on Computer Vision (ICCV-87)",
MONTH="June",
YEAR="1987",
PAGES="231-240"
}

@article{pentland-perceptual-organization-ai-86,
AUTHOR= "Alex P. Pentland",
TITLE= "{Perceptual Organization and the Representation of Natural Form}",
JOURNAL=ai,
VOLUME="28",
PAGES="293-331",
MONTH="May",
YEAR="1986"
}

@inproceedings{barr-global-and-siggraph-84,
AUTHOR= "Alan H. Barr",
TITLE= "{Global and Local Deformations of Solid Primitives}",
BOOKTITLE="ACM Computer Graphics SIGGRAPH '84",
PAGES="21-30",
MONTH="July",
YEAR="1984"
}

@inproceedings{boult-on-the-darpaiu-88,
AUTHOR="Terrance E. Boult and Ari D. Gross",
TITLE="{On the Recovery of Superellipsoids}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. DARPA Image Understanding Workshop",
YEAR=1988,
PAGES="1052-1063"
}

@article{goldman-two-approaches-cga-83,
AUTHOR= "Ronald N. Goldman",
TITLE= "{Two Approaches to a Quadric Model for Surfaces}",
JOURNAL=cga,
VOLUME="3",
NUMBER="1",
MONTH="September",
YEAR="1983",
PAGES="21-24"
}

@article{requicha-representations-for-csur-80,
AUTHOR= "Aristides A.G. Requicha",
TITLE= "{Representations for Rigid Solids: Theory, Methods, and Systems}",
JOURNAL=csur,
VOLUME="12",
NUMBER="4",
MONTH="December",
YEAR="1980",
PAGES="437-464"
}

@article{requicha-solid-modeling-cga-82,
AUTHOR= "A.A.G. Requicha and H.B. Voelcker",
TITLE= "{Solid Modeling: A Historical Summary and Contemporary Assessment}",
JOURNAL=cga,
VOLUME="2",
NUMBER="2",
MONTH="March",
YEAR="1982",
PAGES="9-24"
}

@article{requicha-solid-modeling-cga-83,
AUTHOR= "A.A.G. Requicha and H.B. Voelcker",
TITLE= "{Solid Modeling: Current Status and Research Directions}",
JOURNAL=cga,
VOLUME="3",
NUMBER="7",
MONTH="October",
YEAR="1983",
PAGES="25-37"
}

@article{brown-some-mathematical-pami-81,
AUTHOR= "Christopher M. Brown",
TITLE= "{Some Mathematical and Representational Aspects of Solid Modeling}",
JOURNAL=pami,
VOLUME="PAMI-3",
NUMBER="4",
MONTH="July",
YEAR="1981",
PAGES="444-453"
}

@article{besl-three-dimensional-csur-85,
AUTHOR= "Paul J. Besl and Ramesh C. Jain",
TITLE= "{Three-Dimensional Object Recognition}",
JOURNAL=csur,
VOLUME="17",
NUMBER="1",
MONTH="March",
YEAR="1985",
PAGES="75-145"
}

@article{chin-model-based-csur-86,
AUTHOR= "Roland T. Chin and Charles R. Dyer",
TITLE= "{Model-Based Recognition in Robot Vision}",
JOURNAL=csur,
VOLUME="18",
NUMBER="1",
MONTH="March",
YEAR="1986",
PAGES="67-108"
}

@article{grimson-localizing-overlapping-pami-87,
AUTHOR= "W.E.L. Grimson and T. Lozano-P\'{e}rez",
TITLE= "{Localizing Overlapping Parts by Searching the Interpretation Tree}",
JOURNAL=pami,
VOLUME="PAMI-9",
NUMBER="4",
MONTH="July",
YEAR="1987",
PAGES="469-482"
}

@techreport{grimson-on-the-tr-87,
AUTHOR= "W. Eric L. Grimson",
TITLE= "{On the recognition of Curved Objects}",
NUMBER="A.I. Memo 983",
INSTITUTION="MIT Artificial Intelligence Laboratory",
MONTH="July",
YEAR="1987"
}

@techreport{grimson-on-the-tr-87,
AUTHOR= "W. Eric L. Grimson",
TITLE= "{On the Recognition of Parametrized Objects}",
NUMBER="A.I. Memo 985",
INSTITUTION="MIT Artificial Intelligence Laboratory",
MONTH="October",
YEAR="1987"
}

@inproceedings{grimson-recognition-of-iccv-87,
AUTHOR= "W. Eric L. Grimson",
TITLE= "{Recognition of Object Families Using Parametrized Models}",
JOURNAL=iccv87,
MONTH="June",
YEAR="1987",
PAGES="93-101"
}

@techreport{stansfield-representing-generic-tr-87,
AUTHOR= "Sharon A. Stansfield",
TITLE= "{Representing Generic Objects for Exploration and Recognition}",
NUMBER="Tech. Rep. MS-CIS-87-61, GRASP Lab 112",
INSTITUTION="Dept of Computer and Information Science, School of Engineering and Applied Science, University of Pennsylvania",
MONTH="June",
YEAR="1987"
}

@article{solina-recovery-of-pami-90,
AUTHOR="F. Solina and R. Bajcsy",
TITLE="{Recovery of Parametric Models from Range Images: The Case for Superquadrics with Global Deformations}",
JOURNAL=pami, VOLUME=12, NUMBER=2, YEAR=1990, MONTH="February",
PAGES="131-147"}

@techreport{solina-object-recognition-tr-86,
AUTHOR= "Franc Solina",
TITLE= "{Object Recognition Using Function Based Category Models}",
NUMBER="Tech. Rep. MS-CIS-86-56, GRASP Lab 69",
INSTITUTION="Department of Computer and Information Science, School of Engineering and Applied Science, University of Pennsylvania",
MONTH="July",
YEAR="1986"
}

@techreport{brady-recent-progress-tr-88,
AUTHOR= "J.P. Brady and N. Nandhakumar and J.K. Aggarwal",
TITLE= "{Recent Progress in the Recognition of Objects from Range Data}",
NUMBER="Tech. Rep. TR-88-1-46",
INSTITUTION="Computer and Vision Research Center, University of Texas at Austin",
YEAR="1988"
}

@inproceedings{brady-recent-progress-icpr-88,
AUTHOR= "J.P. Brady and N. Nandhakumar and J.K. Aggarwal",
TITLE= "{Recent Progress in the Recognition of Objects from Range Data}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. 9th Int. Conf. on Pattern Recognition",
MONTH="November", YEAR=1988, PAGES="85-92"
}

@article{vemuri-curvature-based-ivc-86,
AUTHOR="B.C. Vemuri and A. Mitiche and J.K. Aggarwal",
TITLE="{Curvature-Based Representation of Objects from Range Data}",
JOURNAL="Image and Vision Computing",
VOLUME=4,
NUMBER=2,
MONTH="May",
YEAR=1986,
PAGES="107-114"
}

@techreport{vemuri-representation-and-tr-87,
AUTHOR= "B.C. Vemuri and J.K. Aggarwal",
TITLE= "{Representation and Recognition of Objects from Depth Maps}",
NUMBER="Tech. Rep. TR-87-8-40",
INSTITUTION="Computer and Vision Research Center, University of Texas at Austin",
YEAR="1987"
}

@inproceedings{vemuri-resolving-the-srmf-87,
AUTHOR="B. C. Vemuri and J. K. Aggarwal",
TITLE="{Resolving the Orientation and Identity of an Object From Range Data}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. 1987 Workshop on Spatial Reasoning and Multisensor Fusion",
CITY="St. Charles, Illinois",
MONTH="October",
YEAR=1987,
PAGES="178-187"
}

@book{horn-robot-vision-book-86,
AUTHOR= "Berthold Klaus Paul Horn",
TITLE= "{Robot Vision}",
PUBLISHER="MIT Press",
ADDRESS="Cambridge, Massachusetts",
YEAR="1986"
}

@book{ballard-computer-vision-book-82,
AUTHOR= "Dana H. Ballard and Christopher M. Brown",
TITLE= "{Computer Vision}",
PUBLISHER="Prentice-Hall",
ADDRESS="Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey",
YEAR="1982"
}

@book{gonzalez-digital-image-book-87,
AUTHOR= "Rafael C. Gonzalez and Paul Wintz",
TITLE= "{Digital Image Processing}",
EDITION="second",
PUBLISHER="Addison-Wesley",
ADDRESS="Reading, Massachusetts",
YEAR="1987"
}

@book{levine-vision-in-book-85,
AUTHOR= "Martin D. Levine",
TITLE= "{Vision In Man and Machine}",
PUBLISHER="McGraw-Hill",
ADDRESS="New York, New York",
YEAR="1985"
}

@book{lancaster-curve-and-book-86,
AUTHOR= "Peter Lancaster and Kestutis Salkauskas",
TITLE= "{Curve and Surface Fitting: An Introduction}",
PUBLISHER="Academic Press",
ADDRESS="London, England",
YEAR="1986"
}

@book{preparata-computational-geometry-book-85,
AUTHOR= "Franco P. Preparata and Michael Ian Shamos",
TITLE= "{Computational Geometry: An Introduction}",
PUBLISHER="Springer-Verlag",
ADDRESS="New York, New York",
YEAR="1985"
}

@book{jolliffe-principal-component-book-86,
AUTHOR= "I. T. Jolliffe",
TITLE= "{Principal Component Analysis}",
PUBLISHER="Springer-Verlag",
ADDRESS="New York, New York",
YEAR="1986"
}

@book{scales-introduction-to-book-85,
AUTHOR= "L. E. Scales",
TITLE= "{Introduction to Non-Linear Optimization}",
PUBLISHER="Springer-Verlag",
ADDRESS="New York, New York",
YEAR="1985"
}

@book{mortenson-geometric-modeling-book-85,
AUTHOR= "Michael E. Mortenson",
TITLE= "{Geometric Modeling}",
PUBLISHER="Wiley",
ADDRESS="New York",
YEAR="1985"
}

@book{pavlidis-algorithms-for-book-82,
AUTHOR= "Theo Pavlidis",
TITLE= "{Algorithms for Graphics and Image Processing}",
PUBLISHER="Computer Science Press",
ADDRESS="Rockville, Maryland",
YEAR="1982"
}

@incollection{jain-symbolic-surface-book-88,
AUTHOR= "Ramesh Jain and Thawach Sripradisvarakul and Nancy O'Brien",
TITLE= "{Symbolic Surface Descriptors}",
BOOKTITLE="Real-Time Object Measurement and Classification",
EDITOR="Anil K. Jain",
SERIES="NATO ASI Series",
VOLUME="42",
PAGES="251-266",
PUBLISHER=" Springer-Verlag",
ADDRESS=" Berlin",
YEAR="1988"
}

@article{bhanu-intro-computer-87,
AUTHOR= "Bir Bhanu",
TITLE= "{CAD-Based Robot Vision}",
JOURNAL="Computer",
VOLUME="20",
NUMBER="8",
MONTH="August",
YEAR="1987",
PAGES="13-16"
}

@article{bhanu-cad-based-computer-87,
AUTHOR= "Bir Bhanu and Chih-Cheng Ho",
TITLE= "{CAD-Based 3D Object Representation for Robot Vision}",
JOURNAL="Computer",
VOLUME="20",
NUMBER="8",
MONTH="August",
YEAR="1987",
PAGES="19-35"
}

@article{roach-a-cad-computer-87,
AUTHOR= "John W. Roach and Praveen K. Paripati and Jeffrey S. Wright",
TITLE= "{A CAD System based on Spherical Dual Representations}",
JOURNAL="Computer",
VOLUME="20",
NUMBER="8",
MONTH="August",
YEAR="1987",
PAGES="37-44"
}

@article{schneier-prediction-based-computer-87,
AUTHOR= "Michael O. Schneier and Ronald Lumia and Martin Herman",
TITLE= "{Prediction-Based Vision for Robot Control}",
JOURNAL="Computer",
VOLUME="20",
NUMBER="8",
MONTH="August",
YEAR="1987",
PAGES="46-55"
}

@article{horaud-model-based-computer-87,
AUTHOR= "Radu Horaud and Thomas Skordas",
TITLE= "{Model-based Strategy Planning for Recognizing Partially Occluded Parts}",
JOURNAL="Computer",
VOLUME="20",
NUMBER="8",
MONTH="August",
YEAR="1987",
PAGES="58-65"
}

@article{gunnarsson-cad-model-computer-87,
AUTHOR= "Kristjan T. Gunnarsson and Friedrich B. Prinz",
TITLE= "{CAD Model-Based Localization of Parts in Manufacturing}",
JOURNAL="Computer",
VOLUME="20",
NUMBER="8",
MONTH="August",
YEAR="1987",
PAGES="66-74"
}

@article{stevenson-model-based-computer-87,
AUTHOR= "Charles N. Stevenson",
TITLE= "{Model-Based Programming and Control of Robot Manipulators}",
JOURNAL="Computer",
VOLUME="20",
NUMBER="8",
MONTH="August",
YEAR="1987",
PAGES="76-84"
}

@phdthesis{gunnarsson-optimal-part-thesis-86,
AUTHOR= "Kristjan T. Gunnarsson",
TITLE= "{Optimal Part Localization by Data Base Matching with Sparse and Dense Data}",
SCHOOL="Department of Mechanical Engineering, Carnegie-Mellon University",
YEAR="1986"
}

@phdthesis{hansen-cagd-based-thesis-88,
AUTHOR= "Charles D. Hansen",
TITLE= "{CAGD-Based Computer Vision: The Automatic Generation of Recognition Strategies}",
SCHOOL=" Department of Computer Science, The University of Utah",
YEAR="1988"
}

@inproceedings{hansen-cagd-based-icpr-86,
AUTHOR= "Tom Henderson and Chuck Hansen and Ashok Samal and C.C. Ho and Bir Bhanu",
TITLE= "{CAGD-Based 3-D Visual Recognition}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. 8th Int. Conf. Pattern Recognition",
MONTH="October",
YEAR="1986",
ADDRESS=" Paris",
PAGES="230-232"
}

@inproceedings{bhanu-computer-aided-icpr-86,
AUTHOR= "Bir Bhanu and Chih-Cheng Ho",
TITLE= "{Computer-Aided Geometric Design Based 3-D Models for Machine Vision}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. 8th Int. Conf. on Pattern Recognition",
ADDRESS=" Paris",
MONTH="October",
YEAR="1986",
PAGES="107-110"
}

@inproceedings{henderson-cad-based-icra-87,
AUTHOR= "Thomas C. Henderson and Eliot Weitz and Chuck Hansen and Rod Grupen and C.C. Ho and Bir Bhanu",
TITLE= "{CAD-Based Robotics}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. 1987 IEEE Int. Conf. Robotics and Automation",
ADDRESS=" Raleigh, North Carolina",
MONTH="March-April",
YEAR="1987",
PAGES="631-635"
}

@inproceedings{hansen-cagd-based-workshop-87,
AUTHOR= "Chuck Hansen",
AUTHOR= "Thomas C. Henderson",
TITLE= "{CAGD-Based Computer Vision}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. 1987 IEEE Workshop on Computer Vision",
ADDRESS=" Miami Beach, Florida",
MONTH="November-December",
YEAR="1987",
PAGES="100-105"
}

@article{bhanu-3-d-prl-87,
AUTHOR= "Bir Bhanu and Chih-Cheng Ho and Thomas C. Henderson",
TITLE= "{3-D Model Building for Computer Vision}",
JOURNAL=prl,
VOLUME="5",
PAGES="349-356",
YEAR="1987"
}

@inproceedings{bhanu-cad-based-icsmc-86,
AUTHOR= "Bir Bhanu and Chih-Cheng Ho and Sungkee Lee",
TITLE= "{CAD Based 3-D Models for Computer Vision}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. IEEE Conf. on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics",
ADDRESS="Atlanta",
MONTH="October",
YEAR="1986",
PAGES="1002-1006"
}

@inproceedings{bhanu-cagd-based-icra-85,
AUTHOR= "Bir Bhanu and Thomas C. Henderson",
TITLE= "{CAGD Based 3-D Vision}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. 1985 IEEE Int. Conf. Robotics and Automation",
ADDRESS="St. Louis, Missouri",
MONTH="March",
YEAR="1985",
PAGES="411-417"
}

@techreport{bhanu-3-d-tr-85,
AUTHOR= "Bir Bhanu and Chih-Cheng Ho and Thomas C. Henderson",
TITLE= "{3-D Model Building for Computer Vision}",
NUMBER="Tech. Rep. UUCS 85-112",
PUBLISHER="Dept. of Computer Science, University of Utah",
MONTH="September",
YEAR="1985"
}

@inproceedings{idesawa-3-d-icpr-86,
AUTHOR= "Manasori Idesawa",
TITLE= "{3-D model Reconstruction and Processing for CAE}",
JOURNAL="Proc. 8th Int. Conf. Pattern Recognition",
ADDRESS=" Paris",
MONTH="October",
YEAR="1986",
PAGES="220-225"
}

@incollection{henderson-intrinsic-characteristics-book-87,
AUTHOR= "Thomas C. Henderson and Chuck Hansen and Bir Bhanu",
TITLE= "{Intrinsic Characteristics as the Interface between CAD and Machine Vision Systems}",
BOOKTITLE="Pattern Recognition Theory and Applications",
EDITOR="P.A. Devijver and J. Kittler",
SERIES=" NATO ASI Series",
VOLUME="F30",
PAGES="461-470",
PUBLISHER=" Springer-Verlag",
ADDRESS=" Berlin",
YEAR="1987"
}

@incollection{henderson-multisensor-knowledge-book-88,
AUTHOR= "Thomas C. Henderson and Chuck Hansen",
TITLE= "{Multisensor Knowledge Systems}",
BOOKTITLE="Real-Time Object Measurement and Classification",
EDITOR="Anil K. Jain",
SERIES=" NATO ASI Series",
VOLUME="42",
PAGES="375-390",
PUBLISHER=" Springer-Verlag",
ADDRESS=" Berlin",
YEAR="1988"
}

@incollection{steiger-object-identification-book-88,
AUTHOR= "A. Steiger-Gar\c{c}\~{a}o and J. Santos-Afonso and C. Queir\'{o}s",
TITLE= "{Object Identification and Automatic Learning (A Vision, CAD, and AI Based Approach)}",
BOOKTITLE="Real-Time Object Measurement annd Classification",
EDITOR="Anil K. Jain",
SERIES="NATO ASI Series",
VOLUME="42",
PAGES="281-292",
PUBLISHER=" Springer-Verlag",
ADDRESS=" Berlin",
YEAR="1988"
}

@article{connell-generating-and-ai-87,
AUTHOR= "Jonathan H. Connell and Michael Brady",
TITLE= "{Generating and Generalizing Models of Visual Objects}",
JOURNAL=ai,
VOLUME="31",
YEAR="1987",
PAGES="159-183"
}

@article{besl-geometric-modeling-procieee-88,
AUTHOR= "Paul J. Besl",
TITLE= "{Geometric Modeling and Computer Vision}",
JOURNAL="Proc. IEEE",
VOLUME="76",
NUMBER="8",
MONTH="August",
YEAR="1988",
PAGES="936-958"
}

@article{ikeuchi-automatic-generation-procieee-88,
AUTHOR="Katsushi Ikeuchi and Takeo Kanade",
TITLE="{Automatic Generation of Object Recognition Programs}",
JOURNAL="Proc. IEEE",
PAGES="1016-1035",
VOLUME=76,
NUMBER=8,
MONTH="August",
YEAR=1988
}

@inproceedings{ikeuchi-applying-sensor-iccv-88,
AUTHOR="Katsushi Ikeuchi and Takeo Kanade",
TITLE="{Applying Sensor Models to Automatic Generation of Object Recognition Programs}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. 2nd Int. Conf. on Computer Vision",
MONTH="December",
PAGES="228-237",
YEAR=1988
}

@techreport{ikeuchi-towards-automatic-tr-88,
AUTHOR="Katsushi Ikeuchi and Takeo Kanade",
TITLE="{Towards Automatic Generation of Object Recognition Programs}",
INSTITUTION="Department of Computer Science, Carnegie-Mellon University",
YEAR="1988",
MONTH="May",
NUMBER="CMU-CS-88-138"
}

@article{ikeuchi-generating-an-ijcv-87,
AUTHOR= "Katsushi Ikeuchi",
TITLE= "{Generating an Interpretation Tree from a CAD Model for 3-D Object Recognition in Bin-Picking Tasks}",
JOURNAL=ijcv,
VOLUME="1",
NUMBER="2",
YEAR="1987",
PAGES="145-165"
}

@inproceedings{ikeuchi-precompiling-a-darpaiu-87,
AUTHOR= "Katsushi Ikeuchi",
TITLE= "{Precompiling a Geometrical Model into an Interpretation Tree for Object Recognition in Bin-Picking Tasks}",
BOOKTITLE="Proc. DARPA Image Understanding Workshop",
MONTH="February",
YEAR="1987",
PAGES="321-330"
}

@article{bolles-3dpo-a-ijrr-86,
AUTHOR= "Robert C. Bolles and Patrice Horaud",
TITLE= "{3DPO: A Three-Dimensional Part Orientation System}",
JOURNAL=ijrr,
VOLUME="5",
NUMBER="3",
MONTH="Fall",
YEAR="1986",
PAGES="3-26"
}

@article{bolles-3dpo-a-ijcai-83,
AUTHOR= "Robert C. Bolles and Patrice Horaud and Marsha Jo Hannah",
TITLE= "{3DPO: A Three-Dimensional Part Orientation System}",
JOURNAL="Proc. 8th Int. Joint Conf. on Artificial Intelligence",
ADDRESS=" Karlsruhe, West Germany",
MONTH="August",
YEAR="1983",
PAGES="1116-1120"
}

@inproceedings{benarie-optimal-recognition-icpr-86,
AUTHOR= "Jezekiel Ben-Arie and Zvi A. Meiri",
TITLE= "{Optimal Recognition of 3-D Objects By Search: Generic Models}",
JOURNAL="Proc 8th Int. Conf. on Pattern Recognition",
ADDRESS=" Paris",
MONTH="October",
YEAR="1986",
PAGES="100-103"
}

@book{jain-algorithms-for-book-88,
AUTHOR="Anil K. Jain and Richard C. Dubes",
TITLE="{Algorithms for Clustering Data}",
PUBLISHER="Prentice-Hall",
YEAR=1988
}

@article{cox-the-numerical-jima-72,
TITLE="{The Numerical Evaluation of B-Splines}",
AUTHOR="M. G. Cox",
JOURNAL="J. Inst. Maths Applics",
VOLUME=10,
PAGES="134-149",
YEAR=1972
}

@book{dongarra-linpack-users-book-79,
AUTHOR="J. J. Dongarra and J. R. Bunch and C. B. Moler and G. W. Stewart",
TITLE="{LINPACK Users' Guide}",
PUBLISHER="Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics", YEAR=1979 }

@book{book-eispack,
AUTHOR="B.T. Smith and J.M. Boyle and J.J. Dongarra and B.S. Garbow and Y. Ikebe and V.C. Klema and C.B. Moler",
TITLE="{Matrix Eigensystem Routines: EISPACK Guide}",
YEAR=1976, PUBLISHER="Springer-Verlag"}

@article{jarvis-a-perspective-pami-83,
AUTHOR="R. A. Jarvis",
TITLE="{A Perspective on Range Finding Techniques for Computer Vision}",
JOURNAL=pami, VOLUME="PAMI-5", NUMBER=2, PAGES="122-139", YEAR=1983 }

@article{verly-machine-intelligence-llj-89,
AUTHOR="J.G. Verly and R.L. Delanoy and D. E. Dudgeon",
TITLE="{Machine Intelligence Technology for Automatic Target Recognition}",
JOURNAL="{The Lincoln Laboratory Journal}",
VOLUME=2, NUMBER=2, YEAR=1989, PAGES="277-310" }

@techreport{sampson-real-time-tr-xx,
AUTHOR="R.E. Sampson and C.W. Swonger and P.W. VanAtta",
TITLE="{Real Time 3 Dimensional Image Processing for Robot Applications}",
INSTITUTION="Environmental Research Institute of Michigan",
YEAR="1984"
 }

@manual{100x-manual,
TITLE="{100X 3-Dimensional Scanner: User's Manual and Application Programming Guide}",
AUTHOR="{Technical Arts Corporation}",
ADDRESS="Redmond, Washington"
}

@inproceedings{agin-computer-description-ijcai-73,
AUTHOR="G.J. Agin and T.O. Binford",
TITLE="{Computer Description of Curved Objects}",
BOOKTITLE="{Proc. 3rd International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence}",
YEAR=1973, PAGES="1113-1115", CITY="Karlsruhe, West Germany"}

@article{nevatia-description-and-ai-77,
AUTHOR="R. Nevatia and T.O. Binford",
TITLE="{Description and Recognition of Curved Objects}",
JOURNAL=ai, VOLUME=8, NUMBER=1, YEAR=1977, PAGES="77-98"}

@article{biederman-recognition-by-psychreview-87,
AUTHOR="Irving Biederman",
TITLE="{Recognition-by-Components: A Theory of Human Image Understanding}",
JOURNAL="Psychological Review",
VOLUME=94, NUMBER=2, PAGES="115-147", YEAR=1987}

@article{dudani-aircraft-identification-ieeetc-77,
AUTHOR="Sahibsingh A. Dudani and Kenneth J. Breeding and Robert B. McGhee",
TITLE="{Aircraft Identification by Moment Invariants}",
JOURNAL="{IEEE Transactions on Computers}",
VOLUME="C-26", NUMBER=1, YEAR=1977,PAGES="39-46"}

------------------------------

End of VISION-LIST
********************

Vision-List-Request@ADS.COM (Vision-List moderator Phil Kahn) (11/15/90)

Vision-List Digest	Wed Nov 14 09:39:46 PDT 90

 - Send submissions to Vision-List@ADS.COM
 - Send requests for list membership to Vision-List-Request@ADS.COM

Today's Topics:

 Re:  Shape from Shading
 Motion Detection Using Neural Nets
 Making personal bibliographies public
 MPEG/JPEG images, software implementations
 Video image sequences
 Colour ref.

Date: Mon, 12 Nov 90 22:26:11 EST
From: mancini@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu (Todd A. Mancini)
Subject: Re:  Shape from Shading

	Ikeuchi and Horn make several simplifying assumptions in their
original shape from shading algorithm.  I am more interested in
processing real images, so I have begun my work using ray-traced
images.  These images have several properties which are not handled
well by the original algorithm, such as perspective projection,
non-centered objects, and Lambertian models which diminish source
intensity as distance increases.
	My intial models are quadrics (and super-quadrics).  Simpler
methods of enforcing continuity in the smoothness over the surface
given the occlduing boundary work better and faster than Ikeuchi and
Horn's method which also seeks out to use intensity information.
	There are other problems to be dealt with; one involves an
over-simplification corresponding surface orientations to expected
intensity values given a Lambertian model.  In effect, the algorithm
presented in the paper treats all objects as spheres (or ellipsoids)
of unit size.  It is possible to create quadrics which will not render
correctly given their simple definition of a reflectance map.
	I am seeking an algorithm which is more concerned with
observed intensity values in the bit-mapped image to find the
orientation map.  Ideally, such an algorithm would not require the
orientation at the occulding boundary to be input, but by means of a
system similar to edge detection would quickly determine the occluding
boundary and work off of that.  I have already started to show that
for a large set of smooth surfaces, it is enough to determine the
occluding boundary to find the entire surface orientation with a very
high degree of accuracy; information from the intensity map over the
surface will be mainly used to resolve local perturbations from the
smoothness (even in light of image noise.)

	-Todd

------------------------------

Date: 13 Nov 90 22:56:52 GMT
From: leadsv!laic!stiles@decwrl.dec.com (Randy Stiles)
Subject: Motion Detection Using Neural Nets

Fellow netters,

Does anyone out there have more info on this development reported last
week by the Wall Street Journal,  concerning visual object recognition
using color to  recognize objects  and motion  detection based on  the
dragonfly's  visual system?   The paper reports   Michael Swain  at U.
Chicago  and Randal  Nelson  at  U.   Rochester, respectively, as  the
researchers on these  systems.  I would  be especially keen to receive
information from them about  these developments.  Please send any info
directly to my email address stiles@laic.lockheed.com.  I  will gather
the messages together and post them to the net.

	Randy Stiles (stiles@laic.lockheed.com)

[ Interesting to see what appears in the popular media.
  Swain/Wixson/Ballard and Nelson's work is described in the Proceedings
  of the AAAI-90 Workshop on Qualitative Vision. See also Nelson &
  Aloimonos, PAMI, Oct. 1989; also University of Rochester TRs.
				phil...			]

Wall Street Journal Friday, November 9, 1990:

	Scientists are teaching robots and computers  to see in living
colors and to identify moving objects while in motion themselves.
	In research funded partly  by  the Pentagon's Defense Advanced
Research   Projects Agency (DARPA),  scientists at   the University of
Rochester and   the  University    of  Chicago   report   successfully
programming robots to recognize  multicolored objects solely  by their
colors.   That's a  departure  from the traditional approach, in which
objects are  recognized by    their shape, and  from   machine  vision
experiments, in which robots "see" only single or dominant colors in a
pattern.
	The Rochester robot, for example, was capable of picking out a
box  of  Kellogg's Frosted  Flakes  from among  70  similiarly colored
objects.
	And  while  most  robots   today must  remain  still to detect
movement, another robot in Rochester was programmed to pick out moving
objects while on the go itself.  the robot  was programmed to identify
objects that aren't  moving  in synch with  the movement   of  its own
visual field.
	Randal Nelson, an assistant progessor  of computer science  at
Rochester, says the software was  inspired by  the dragonfly, which is
though to stalk its prey  by identifying small  objects whose movement
doesn't coincide with that of the rest of  the its  visual field as it
buzzes around.
	Michael Swain, a University of Chicago researcher, says he has
received inquireies from companies that view the color vision research
as potentially useful  in commercial applications  such as supermarket
checkout  systems.  "You can't  bar-code a squash," he   says, but the
computer might one day be programmed to recognize one. Mr. Nelson sees
his motion-detection research in future surveillance systems.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Nov 90 14:10:13 GMT
From: cs_s424@ux.kingston.ac.uk
Subject: Making personal bibliographies public

Hello

I would like to thank Patrick Flynn for sending his personal bibliography
in to the list. I was able to make use of many references. Perhaps other
members of the vision list could do the same? Or send in a description of
the key areas in your bibliography so that it can be made available on request.

Regards,

Paul Netherwood                      janet    :  P.J.Netherwood@uk.ac.kingston
Research                             internet :  P.J.Netherwood@kingston.ac.uk
                                     phone    :  (+44) 81 549 1366 ext 2923
                                     local    :  cs_s424@ux.king

School of Computer Science and Electronic Systems,
Kingston Polytechnic, Penrhyn Road, Kingston-upon-Thames, Surrey KT1 2EE, UK.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Nov 90 19:35:26 +0100
From: John Husoy-stip <jonh@tele.unit.no>
Subject: MPEG/JPEG images, software implementations

The  Joint Photographic Experts Group (JPEG), a working
group under ISO/IEC have recently agreed on a standard for the
compression of digital still images. The Motion Pictures
Expert Group (MPEG) has been concered with the same problem
in conjunction with storage of digial video sequences.

We are currently engaged in image coding research for both
video and still images and would like to test our algorithms
on the images/image sequences that have been used in conjunction
with the standardization activities. Therefore, --
does anybody know of a source where I can get hold of
test images/sequences that has been used by the JPEG/MPEG
working groups? Also is anyone aware of any software implementing
these coding standards, commerically or otherwise.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

	John Haakon Husoy
	The Norwegian Institute of Technology
	Department of Electical and Computer Engineering
	7034 Trondheim - NTH
	NORWAY
	email: jonh@tele.unit.no
	tel:   ++ 47 + 7 + 594453
	fax:   ++ 47 + 7 + 944475

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Nov 90 13:36:47 CST
From: silsbee@vision.ee.utexas.edu (Peter Silsbee)
Subject: video image sequences

Hello, we are doing research in image sequence compression.  For evaluation of
results, it is necessary to record the compressed/decompressed sequences on
videotape.  The equipment to which we have access is not great and we are
looking for an alternative.  We would appreciate any information about what
equipment other researchers in the field are using that gives high-quality
video.

	Thanks in advance,
	Peter Silsbee

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Nov 90 14:30:54 BST
From: A.ALLEN@aberdeen.ac.uk
Subject: Colour ref.

NJC Strachan, P Nesvadba, and AR Allen, "Calibration of a Video
Camera Digitising System in the CIE L*u*v* Colour Space",
Pattern Recognition Letters, (in press, Nov. 1990).

Dr A R Allen
Dept of Engineering, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen, AB9 2UE, UK.

------------------------------

End of VISION-LIST
********************

Vision-List-Request@ADS.COM (Vision-List moderator Phil Kahn) (11/28/90)

Vision-List Digest	Tue Nov 27 12:28:14 PDT 90

 - Send submissions to Vision-List@ADS.COM
 - Send requests for list membership to Vision-List-Request@ADS.COM

Today's Topics:

 PD Range Image Archive
 RE: Optical Flow in Realtime
 Public domain image processing / vision software
 CVNet- Several Postdoctoral Positions
 Job opening: Assistant Professor, Cognitive Psychology, Yale
 Job opening: Chair of Computer Science at Birmingham University, UK
 Call for Papers: Neural Networks in System, Control, Vision and Genetics
 CVNet- Neural Net Conference Announcement

Date: Mon, 26 Nov 90 14:38:09 EST
From: flynn@shillelagh.cse.nd.edu (Patrick J. Flynn)
Subject: PD Range Image Archive

Back in February, I made 44 range images available for anonymous ftp
from my workstation at Michigan State University, and said:

>> I will try to keep these images available [...]
>> until I leave MSU this summer.
>> If my next job has machines with internet access and some disk space,
>> I'll put them there.

The archive has been expanded (over 200 images, including 100 synthetic
images generated from CAD models) and moved from Michigan State to
my Sun here at Notre Dame.  The machine name and IP address is:

shillelagh.cse.nd.edu    (129.74.9.7)

The images are in the pub/range-images directory.  The README file from
that directory appears below.  Please remember to use binary mode
when transferring files, and perform ftp transfers AFTER
`normal' business hours (i.e. do it between 1700 EST and 0800 EST).  I
reserve the right to disable ftp activity during the day if it
significantly impacts my ability to use shillelagh for my work.

Direct *specific* questions about the images to me (flynn@cse.nd.edu).
General questions about range sensing are best answered by reading
the surveys by Jarvis (PAMI '83), Nitzan (PAMI '88), or Besl
(in the `Advances in Machine Vision' book by J. Sanz, pub. by Springer,
or in the `Machine Vision and Applications' journal, volume 1).

A European version of the archive is in the works (courtesy of Adrian
Clark).  I will post details to vision-list when we get it set up.

Here is the text of the README file in the pub/range-images directory.

This directory contains a bunch of range images produced by

  - the MSU Pattern Recognition and Image Processing Lab's Technical
    Arts 100X scanner (aka `White scanner'), OR
  - scan-conversion software that I adapted from a program
    originally written by Paul Besl many years ago.

You are free to use these images to test your algorithms.  If the
images are to appear in a published article, please acknowledge the MSU
PRIP Lab as the source of the images (you don't have to mention my
name, though).

File format: rather than deal with all the goofy standards out
there for images (and to preserve the floating-point representation),
these images are compressed ASCII text files.  Beware: they expand by
about 10x when uncompressed.  I recommend that you keep them
compressed to save disk space.  Many of you will probably convert
these files to your own `local' image format anyway.

Each image file has a three-line header giving the number of rows and
columns.  This is followed by four images.  The first is the
so-called 'flag' image, where a pixel value of 1 means the corresponding
(x,y,z) values at that pixel are valid.  If the flag value is zero, you
should ignore the (x,y,z) components for that pixel.

Following the flag image is the image of X-coordinates, the image
of Y-coordinates, and the image of Z-coordinates.  All are
floating-point images.  MSU's White scanner is configured so that
each stripe of range values occupies one column in the image.
The object is swept under the stripe with an XY table to get an image.
So the X coordinate image is a linear ramp; the X value is taken
from the absolute position of the X stage in the XY table.
The Y value depends
on the column number of the pixel, and the Z value is the measured
range (the height above a table).

You can use the 3D coordinates of each range pixel, or you can
throw away the X and Y images, and concern yourself with the Z-value
alone.  Note that the `aspect ratio' of the image doesn't
have to be 1, although I try to keep it in the neighborhood of 1.

Remember to use binary mode when you transfer the images.

Contents:

In this directory, there are 4 subdirectories:

NAME            SIZE    CONTENTS

cluttered       1302KB  10 White Scanner images of pairs of objects

isolated        9270KB  100 White Scanner images; 5 images of each of 20 objects

misc            6008KB  47 `miscellaneous' images of various objects
                        The files labeled `foot1' and `foot2' are images of
                        a human foot (belonging to Dr. Rick Hallgren).  Most
                        of the others are blocky, industrial-ish parts.

synth           22027KB 100 synthetic images; 5 images of each of 20 objects
                        (the same 20 objects as in the `isolated' directory).

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Nov 90 11:11:54 GMT
From: Massimo Tistarelli <tista@dist.dist.unige.it>
Subject: RE: Optical Flow in Realtime

I have developed a system for the computation of the optical flow in
real-time using the Connection Machine.  It is capable of computing a
dense optic flow from image sequences at near real time, allowing the
computation of one velocity field at a rate of 20 frames per second.
The program is Public Domain, I can send it directly to you or you can
ask Thinking Machines Co. in Cambridge (MA), together with related
documentation.

Also the time-to-impact can be computed at almost no "extra cost" in
terms of processing time.  As the algorithm is devised, it will be
possible to realize an implementation of the system on other parallel
machines.  I' m currently working on it!

Regards,
Massimo Tistarelli
(tista@dist.unige.it)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Nov 90 11:40:08 CST
From: honavar@iastate.edu
Subject: public domain image processing / vision software

Thanks to all those who volunteered information on public domain
image processing packages. Here is a summary.

Vasant Honavar
honavar@iastate.edu

From: Stephen M. Pizer <smp@cs.unc.edu>

I write in response to your news item requesting info on public domain
image processing packages using X.

UNC's /usr/image image processing package is Unix and X based. It is in the
public domain and is licensed and distributed by softlab@cs.unc.edu for a
copying cost of $300. It is installed in around 40 sites worldwide, most of
which are involved in medical image processing. It consists of a collection
of image access modules, numerous X-based display modules, including 2D, 3D,
and cinematic display, and a wide range of around 75 image processing,
analysis, and utility  programs. Maintenance is not provided. Further
information can be obtained from gash@cs.unc.edu.

From: yangchen%iris.usc.edu@usc.edu (Yang Chen)

Well, we have an OBVIUS system from MIT available from
whitechapel.media.mit.edu. It provides some basics for doing image
processing using LISP. It runs under either SunView or X-window.

From: rasure@snidley.unm.edu (John Rasure)

The Vision Lab at the University of New Mexico announces the
open distribution of the Khoros system (Beta release)!

INTRODUCTION

     Khoros is an integrated software  development  environ-
ment  for information processing and visualization, based on
X11R4.   Khoros  components  include  a  visual  programming
language,  code generators for extending the visual language
and adding  new  application  packages  to  the  system,  an
interactive  user  interface  editor,  an  interactive image
display package, an extensive library of  image  and  signal
processing routines, and 2D/3D plotting packages.

SYSTEM COMPONENTS

X Windows Applications

     Cantata - Extensible Visual Programming Language
     Editimage - Interactive Image  Display  &  Manipulation
     Program
     Animate - Interactive Image Sequence Display Tool
     Xprism2 and xprism3 - Comprehensive 2D and 3D  Plotting
     Packages

Image & Signal Processing Algorithms

     The library of algorithms contains over  220  programs,
     in  the  following  categories: arithmetic, classifica-
     tion, color conversion, data  conversion,  file  format
     conversion,  feature  extraction,  frequency filtering,
     spatial  filtering,  morphology  filtering,   geometric
     manipulation,  histogram manipulation, statistics, sig-
     nal generation, linear operations, segmentation,  spec-
     tral estimation, subregion, and transforms.

User Interface Tools

     Preview - Graphical User Interface Display Tool
     Composer - Interactive Graphical User Interface Editor
     Conductor - Code Generation Tool for a  Graphical  User
     Interface
     Ghostwriter - Code Generation Tool for a  Command  Line
     User Interface
     Source Configuration & Management Tools

KHOROS DISTRIBUTION METHODS

1)  Anonymous FTP

     Khoros is available via anonymous ftp from pprg.unm.edu
(129.24.13.10).   Use  your  e-mail  address as the password
(for  example,  herman@football.wmu.edu).   Once  you   have
logged  in,  cd  to  the "pub/khoros" directory and  get the
ascii file RELEASE_NOTES.ftp.  This file will give you  com-
plete  instructions  on  how to get Khoros and install it on
your system.  To get this file, execute the  following  com-

a.   Use ftp to connect to pprg.unm.edu.
     % ftp pprg.unm.edu
          -or-
     % ftp 129.24.13.10

b.   Use "anonymous" or "ftp" as the user name.
     Name (pprg.unm.edu:login): anonymous
          -or-
     Name (pprg.unm.edu:login): ftp

c.   Use your e-mail address as the password;  please  care-
     fully  use a valid e-mail address, as this version site
     logs all anonymous ftp's.
     Password   (pprg.unm.edu:user):   {your   valid   email
     address}
     331 Anonymous login ok, use your E-MAIL address as  the
     password.
     230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.

d.   Get  the  release  notes  for  acquiring   Khoros   via
     anonymous  ftp  (note  that  "RELEASE_NOTES.ftp" is the
     plain text file - both ".ms" and ".ps" files are avail-
     able for those who would like them).
     ftp> cd /pub/khoros
     ftp> get RELEASE_NOTES.ftp

2)  UPS Delivery

     If you would like to have a tape and printed documenta-
tion  sent  to  you,  send  the order form below (last page)
along with a $1000.00 check or purchase  order  (payable  to
UNM EECE Dept., in U.S. funds) to:
                    KHOROS
                    Room 110
                    Department of EECE
                    University of New Mexico
                    Albuquerque, NM 87131

We will begin shipping tapes (source, binaries  and  printed
documentation)   no   earlier  than  November  1st.   Please
remember, this is a BETA release; the final release will  be
complete  in  January  1991.   There  will  be no support or
updates provided for the beta release.

KHOROS REQUIREMENTS AND LIMITATIONS

     To run Khoros, you must have a  UNIX  platform  running
the  X11R3, X11R4, or OpenWindows servers. The Khoros system
consists of ~350,000 lines of C code;  it requires ~100  Meg
for storage for source, documentation and binaries.  To com-
pile Khoros, the system requires X11R4 from MIT (patch  lev-
els 1-18), and an additional ~30 Meg of storage.

If you have questions or problems,
mail rasure@bullwinkle.unm.edu.
Once you have the system and want to report bugs or comments,
mail khoros-bugs@bullwinkle.unm.edu.

UNIX is a trademark of AT&T Bell Laboratories.
The X Window System is a trademark of  Massachusetts  Insti-
tute of Technology.
SunOS is a trademark for Sun Microsystems.
Ultrix is a trademark of Digital Equipment Corporation.

------------------------------

Date: 	Mon, 19 Nov 90 09:35:55 EST
From: Color and Vision Network <CVNET%YORKVM1.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca>
Subject: CVNet- Several Postdoctoral Positions

                          Postdoctoral Positions

                         CENTER FOR VISUAL SCIENCE
                          University of Rochester

The Center for Visual Science has postdoctoral positions available in
several areas of visual science, including, but not restricted to,
psychophysical, computational and physiological aspects of spatial vision,
color vision, eye-movements, and motion perception.

Through its provision of shared resources the Center for Visual Science
brings together faculty and students from different parts of the University,
including the College of Arts and Science, and the Medical School.
The Center encourages collaborative research, and post-doctoral fellows
have substantial freedom to pursue projects that involve several members
of the faculty.

Faculty include: Joanne Albano, Richard Aslin, Dana Ballard, Robert
Chapman, Robert Emerson, Mary Hayhoe, Michael King, Kyunghee Koh,
Peter Lennie, Walter Makous, John Maunsell, William Merigan, Gary Paige,
Tatiana Pasternak, David Williams.

For general information about the Center and about postdoctoral
opportunities, contact Peter Lennie (lennie@cvs.rochester.edu, phone:
716-275-2450).  Prospective postdoctoral fellows interested in working
with particular members of faculty should contact those members directly.
Any member of the Center can be reached by email using his or her surname
as a username (e.g., albano@cvs.rochester.edu).

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Nov 90 11:05:36 EST
From: michael tarr <tarr-michael@CS.YALE.EDU>
Subject: Job opening: Assistant Professor, Cognitive Psychology, Yale

Assistant Professor, Cognitive Psychology: The Department of Psychology
at Yale University expects to make an appointment at the rank of
Assistant Professor in the area of cognitive psychology effective July
1, 1991.  Outstanding candidates in any subspeciality of this area are
encouraged to apply.  All applicants are expected to provide high-
quality teaching at the undergraduate level and in a graduate cognitive
psychology program, and to have exhibited (or shown very clear promise
of) excellence in research.  Applicants should send a letter of
application, a resume, and papers or reprints, and should arrange for
three letters of recommendation to be sent to: Chair, Cognitive
Psychology Search Committee, Department of Psychology, Yale University,
Box 11A Yale Station, New Haven, CT 06520-7447.  Deadline for completed
applications: February 1, 1991.  Yale is an Equal Opportunity/
Affirmative Action employer, and applications from women and minority
group members are especially encouraged.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Nov 90 09:06:58 -0500
From: fpst@hubcap.clemson.edu (Steve Stevenson)
Subject: Job opening: Chair of Computer Science at Birmingham University, UK

Birmingham University (which I shall be joining from 1st August 1991)
wishes to appoint another professor in the School of Computer Science.

Only candidates with an established research and publications record and
potential for attracting research students will be considered.

Applicants from any area of Computer Science will be considered, and the
primary requirement is academic distinction, though because there is
already one professor with interests in AI/cognitive science, applicants
from other fields will have preference, other things being equal.

The post will be on the professorial scale (minimum 27013 pounds p.a.)

Full details are available from

    Mr. P.J.F. Scott,
    Director of Staffing Services
    University of Birmingham
    Edgbaston
    Birmingham B15 2TT
    England

    Phone +44 (0)21-414-3841
    FAX   +44 (0)21-414-4802

Applications (ten copies for UK applicants, one copy for overseas
applicants) should be in by 14 December, though late applications will
be considered. It is hoped that short-listed candidates will be
interviewed on 19th March.

Further enquiries about the nature of the job to
    Prof Peter Jarratt
    School of Computer Science
    University of Birmingham
    Edgbaston
    Birmingham B15 2TT
    England

    Phone +44 (0)21-414 3711
    Email P.JARRATT@BIRMINGHAM.AC.UK

The university is located on a large park south of the centre of
Birmingham, with academic buildings at one end, student halls at
the other and a lake in between. Substantial resources have recently
been made available for developing computer science and cognitive
science.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Nov 90 19:00:49 GMT
From: rswiniar%ania@ucselx.sdsu.edu (Dr. Roman Swiniarski)
Subject: Call for Papers: Neural Networks in System, Control, Vision & Genetics

               Call for Papers

      The First International Conference on

 ``NEURAL NETWORKS IN  SYSTEM, CONTROL, VISION AND GENETICS''
         Methodologies and Applications

	May 29-31, 1991, San Diego, U.S.A.

  The conference will be organized under the auspice of International
Organization ``Association Pour Promotion Des Techniques de Modelisation
at de Simulation dans L'Enterprise with the participation of  San Diego State
University.
  The conference will be an international forum for presenting and
discussing the issues in neural networks and their applications in:
system, control, robotics,  computer vision, and genetic engineering.

               TOPICS

1. Neural Network Architectures and Learning Algorithms.
	    Static Neural Networks.
	    Dynamic and Recurrent Neural Networks.
	    Fuzzy Neural Networks.
	    Probabilistic Neural Networks.
	    Fractal and  Cellular Neural Networks.
	    Oscillating Neural Networks.
	    Hybrid Neural Networks.
	    Ensembles of Neural Networks.
	    Genetic and Parallel Training Algorithms.
	    Fast and Adaptive Learning Algorithms.
	    Adaptive Critic and Reinforcement Learning.
	    Unsupervised Learning.
            Generalization.
	    Learnability.
            Stability and Informational Capacity of Neural Networks.

2. Applications of Neural Networks.

   2.1. Signals and Systems:
	    Temporal Pattern Recognition.
	    Modeling.
	    Nonlinear Systems.
	    Adaptive Signal Processing.
	    Identification.
	    Estimation and Filtering.
	    Temporal Data Compression.
	    Combinatorial Optimization.
   2.2. Control and Robotics:
	    Stability Analysis and Robust Control.
	    Optimal Control.
	    Adaptive  Control.
	    Self-Tuning Control.
	    Variable Structure Control.
            Sequential Control.
	    Predictive Control.
	    Adaptive Control of Robot.
	    Autonomous Robots.
	    Target Recognition and Tracking.
	    Robot Grasping.
	    Trajectory Planning.
	    Multisensor Fusion.
  2.3. Diagnostic and Inspection:
            Failure Detection in Control Systems.
	    Sensor Failure Detection.
	    Diagnostic of Dynamic Systems.
            Feature Extraction from Temporal Signals.
  2.4. Computer Vision:
	    Image Modelling and Estimation.
	    Image Compression.
	    Feature Extraction.
	    Image Filtering and Enhancing.
	    Segmentation.
	    Motion Detection.
  2.5. Genetics:
	    Retrieving Information from Large Genome Data Banks.
	    Genome Sequence Matching.
	    Genome Sequence Alignments
	    Hard Combinatorial Optimization. in Phylogenetic Analysis.
  2.6. Text Processing and Pattern Recognition:
	    Hand Written Recognition.
	    Printed Text Recognition.
	    Text Compression.

	      Paper Submission

  Authors are cordially invited to submit papers describing relevant research
and experience.  Authors should send two copies of a ``One page summary''
on a standard sheet of paper (A4 21x29.7 cm).
Summaries including  full names, affiliations, addresses,  and FAX or  e-mail
of authors, should be mailed to the General Chairman of the Conference.
  Deadline for submission of a summary: February 28, 1991.\\
Summaries of proposed papers, will be reviewed by the International
Program Committee.  Full texts of accepted papers may be provided
up to the Conference. Initiatives in organizing sessions are invited.\\
  The selected papers presented at  the Conference
will be published in the Conference Proceedings. Selected papers will be
additionally published in a special monograph.

             Conference Committee.

General Chair
G. Masnard
President of ``Association Pour Promotion Des Techniques de Modelisation
at de Simulation dans L'Enterprise ''
16 avenue de Grange-Blanche, 69160 TASSIN-LA-DEMI-LUNE, France
FAX 011-33-78345417 (from USA).

Chair of International Program Committee
Roman Swiniarski
Department of Mathematical Sciences
San Diego State University
San Diego , CA 92182-0314, USA
e-mail:  rswiniar@ania.sdsu.edu
Tel: (619) 594-5538
Fax: 619-594-5642

The venue of conference and other details will be provided in a later
announcement.

------------------------------

Date: 	Wed, 21 Nov 90 17:03:11 EST
From: Color and Vision Network <CVNET%YORKVM1.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca>
Subject: CVNet- Neural Net Conference Announcement

     NEURAL NETWORKS COURSE AND CONFERENCE AT BOSTON UNIVERSITY
          NEURAL NETWORKS: FROM FOUNDATIONS TO APPLICATIONS
                           May 5-10, 1991
This self-contained 5-day course is sponsored by the Boston University
Wang Institute, Center for Adaptive Systems, and Graduate Program in
Cognitive and Neural Systems.  The course provides a systematic
interdisciplinary introduction to the biology, computation, mathematics,
and technology of neural networks.  Boston University tutors are
Stephen Grossberg, Gail Carpenter, Ennio Mingolla, Michael Cohen, Dan
Bullock, and John Merrill.  Guest tutors are Federico Faggin,
Robert Hecht-Nielsen, Michael Jordan, Andy Barto, and Alex Waibel.
Registration fee: $985 (professional) and $275 (student).

           NEURAL NETWORKS FOR VISION AND IMAGE PROCESSING
                           May 10-12, 1991
This research conference at the Wang Institute will present invited
lectures and contributed posters, herewith solicited, ranging from visual
neurobiology and psychophysics through computational modelling to
technological applications.   Invited speakers include: Jacob Beck, Gail
A. Carpenter, David Casasent, John Daugman, Robert Desimone, Stephen
Grossberg, Robert Hecht-Nielsen, Ralph Linsker, Ennio Mingolla, Alex
Pentland, V.S. Ramachandran, Eric Schwartz, George Sperling, James
Todd, and Alex Waxman.  A featured Poster Session will be held
on May 11.  To present a poster, submit 3 copies of an abstract
(1 single-spaced page), postmarked by March 1, 1991, for refereeing.

Include with the abstract the author's name, address, and telephone number.
Mail to VIP Poster Session, Neural Networks Conference, Wang Institute of
Boston University, 72 Tyng Road, Tyngsboro, MA 01879.  Authors will be
informed of abstract acceptance by March 31, 1991.  Registration fee:
$95 (professionals) and $75 (student).  Fee includes lectures and
poster session, reception, meals, and coffee services.

TO REGISTER: For one or both events by phone, call (508) 649-9731 with VISA
or MasterCard between 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. (EST).  For a meeting brochure, call
as above or write: Neural Networks, Wang Institute of Boston University,
72 Tyng Road, Tyngsboro, MA 01879.

------------------------------

End of VISION-LIST
********************

Vision-List-Request@ADS.COM (Vision-List moderator Phil Kahn) (12/01/90)

Vision-List Digest	Fri Nov 30 13:54:50 PDT 90

 - Send submissions to Vision-List@ADS.COM
 - Send requests for list membership to Vision-List-Request@ADS.COM

Today's Topics:

 Converting Rosenfeld's mebib troff format to BiBtex/Refer/etc.
 Anyone doing PSYCHOPHYSICAL testing of image compression???
 Graduate study in neural networks
 7th IEEE Conference on AI Applications - Program available
 Questionnaire on State of the Art in CAD-Based Vision Systems

Date: Tue, 27 Nov 90 17:06:32 -0800
From: vision@deimos.ads.com (Philip Kahn)
Subject: converting Rosenfeld's mebib troff format to BiBtex/Refer/etc.

Rosenfeld's bibliographies are in a format called mebib.  Several readers
have noted an interest in obtaining a database accessible version of his
references (e.g., in BibTex or Refer format).  Please contact me if you
know how to do this or are interested in finding out how it can be done.

thanks,
phil...

------------------------------

Date: 28 Nov 90 05:38:03 GMT
From: David Honig <honig@ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject: anyone doing PSYCHOPHYSICAL testing of image compression???

I'm interested in obtaining references to groups doing psychophysical
research on image and image-sequence compression methods.  Where the
"psychophysical" study can be defined as anything more formal than
asking your neighbor, "hey Joe, how do ya' think this version looks?"
(which I'm afraid is all too common!)

Thanks,
	David

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 Nov 90 15:13:20 -0500
From: caroly@park.bu.edu
Subject: graduate study in neural networks

GRADUATE PROGRAM IN COGNITIVE AND NEURAL SYSTEMS (CNS)
		AT BOSTON UNIVERSITY

     Gail A.Carpenter & Stephen Grossberg, Co-Directors

The Boston University graduate program in Cognitive and Neural Systems
offers comprehensive advanced training in the neural and computational
principles, mechanisms, and architectures that underly human and
animal behavior, and the application of neural network architectures
to the solution of outstanding technological problems.

Applications for Fall, 1991 admissions and financial aid are now
being accepted for both the MA and PhD degree programs.

To obtain a brochure describing the CNS Program and a set of application
materials, write or telephone:

 Cognitive & Neural Systems Program
 Boston University
 111 Cummington Street, Room 240
 Boston, MA 02215
 (617) 353-9481

or send a mailing address to: caroly@park.bu.edu

Applications for admission and financial aid should be received by
the Graduate School Admissions Office no later than January 15.

Applicants are required to submit undergraduate (and, if applicable,
graduate) transcripts, three letters of recommendation, and Graduate
Record Examination (GRE) scores. The Advanced Test should be in the
candidate's area of departmental specialization. GRE scores may be
waived for MA candidates and, in exceptional cases, for PhD candidates,
but absence of these scores may decrease an applicant's chances for
admission and financial aid.

Description of the CNS Program:

The Cognitive and Neural Systems (CNS) Program provides advanced training
and research experience for graduate students interested in the neural and
computational principles, mechanisms, and architectures that underly human
and animal behavior, and the application of neural network architectures
to the solution of outstanding technological problems.  Students are
trained in a broad range of areas concerning cognitive and neural systems,
including vision and image processing; speech and language understanding;
adaptive pattern recognition; associative learning and long-term memory;
cognitive information processing; self-organization; cooperative and
competitive network dynamics and short-term memory; reinforcement,
motivation, and attention; adaptive sensory-motor control and robotics;
and biological rhythms; as well as the mathematical and computational
methods needed to support advanced modeling research and applications. The
CNS Program awards MA, PhD, and BA/MA degrees.

The CNS Program embodies a number of unique features. Its core curriculum
consists of eight interdisciplinary graduate courses each of which
integrates the psychological, neurobiological, mathematical, and computational
information needed to theoretically investigate fundamental issues concerning
mind and brain processes and the applications of neural networks to technology.
Each course is taught once a week in the evening to make the program available
to qualified students, including working professionals, throughout the Boston
area. Students develop a coherent area of expertise by designing a program
that includes courses in areas such as Biology, Computer Science, Engineering,
Mathematics, and Psychology, in addition to courses in the CNS core curriculum.

The CNS Program prepares Ph.D. students for thesis research with scientists
in one of several Boston University research centers or groups, and with
Boston-area scientists collaborating with these centers. The unit most
closely linked to the Program is the Center for Adaptive Systems.  The
Center for Adaptive Systems is also part of the Boston Consortium for
Behavioral and Neural Studies, a Boston-area multi-institutional
Congressional Center of Excellence. Another multi-institutional
Congressional Center of Excellence focussed at Boston University is the
Center for the Study of Rhythmic Processes.  Other research resources
include distinguished research groups in dynamical systems within the
mathematics department; in theoretical computer science within the Computer
Science Department; in biophysics and computational physics within the
Physics Department; in sensory robotics, biomedical engineering, computer
and systems engineering, and neuromuscular research within the Engineering
School; and in neurophysiology, neuroanatomy, and neuropharmacology at the
Medical School.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Nov 90 10:50:28 EST
From: finin@PRC.Unisys.COM
Subject: 7th IEEE Conference on AI Applications - Program available

A copy of the advanced program of the the Seventh IEEE Conference on
Artificial Intelligence Applications (CAIA-91) is now available and can be
obtained by sending email to the mail agent CAIA-PROGRAM@PRC.UNISYS.COM.  This
agent will respond to all messages by returning via email the text of the
advanced program, including a registration form and an accommodations form.

CAIA-91 will be held on February 24-28, 1991 at the Fontainbleau Hilton Resort
and Spa in Miami Beach, Florida.  A series of twelve half-day tutorials will
be held on February 24th and 25th.  The technical program will be held on
February 26th through the 28th.  This will include 73 submitted papers, a
number panels and the following invited talks:

  AI in Biology and Challenges of the Human Genome Project,
    Bruce Buchanan, University of Pittsburgh

  Technology and People, Eric Bloch, former director, NSF

  Toward Intelligent Systems in the DoD, Major Steven Cross, DARPA

  Application Projects at ICOT, K. C. Furukawa, ICOT

  The ESPRIT Program, D. E. Talbot, Commission of the European Communities

  "Applying Common Sense" - Necessity or Oxymoron?, Doug Lenat, MCC

For more information about the conference in general, or to request hardcopy
of the advanced program, contact: IEEE Computer Society, 1730 Massachusetts
Ave. NW, Washington, DC 20036, 202-371-1013, fax: 202-728-0884.  For more
information about the technical program, contact: Tim Finin, Unisys Center for
Advanced Information Tech., PO Box 517, Paoli PA 19301, 215-648-2840, fax:
215-648-2288, finin@prc.unisys.com.

------------------------------

Date:  Wed, 28 Nov 90 18:03:47 EST
From: Dr. Kevin Bowyer <kwb@midgit.csee.usf.edu>
Subject: Questionnaire on State of the Art in CAD-Based Vision Systems

     IEEE Workshop on Directions in Automated ``CAD-Based'' Vision

       June 2-3, 1991   Maui, Hawaii   (just prior to CVPR '91)

     Questionnaire on State of the Art in CAD-Based Vision Systems

This survey form is being distributed for the purpose of organizing
a panel session at the upcoming workshop on Directions in Automated
``CAD-Based'' Vision.  We hope that this will serve to give the workshop
a sharper focus and to facilitate some interesting discussion. Responses
are solicited from all interested persons.  Some representative subset
of the respondents will be asked to lead a panel discussion at the
workshop, organized by Avi Kak.  A written report of the survey results
will also be prepared.  Responses are needed by January 1.  You may
respond by e-mail to kwb@sol.csee.usf.edu or by regular mail to
Kevin Bowyer / Department of Computer Science and Engineering /
University of South Florida / Tampa, Florida 33620 / USA.

1. What is the name of the system?

2. What is the system's purpose (intended application)?

3. What is the best generally accessible reference which describes the system?

4. What language(s) is the system written in?

5. What computer(s) does the system run on?

6. How long does it take to analyze the ``average'' scene of a single object?
   (If multiple computers are listed just above, specify which one this time is for.)

7. How long does it take to analyze the ``average'' scene of a jumbled pile of about
   a dozen objects in order to recognize at least one of the objects?
   (If multiple computers are listed just above, specify which one this time is for.)

8. Is the computational complexity of the system known? If so, what is it?
   (Specify order N-whatever, where N is ...)

9. What class of object shapes does the system handle?

10. Are object models entered into the system ...

    by hand?

    from a CAD system-- which one?

    by a set of standard images?

    some other method?

11. How many different objects are in the system database?

12. How many objects have been in the most complex scenes analyzed by the system?

    Were these all the same object or different objects?

    Have the objects all been made of the same material?

    Have the objects all been the same color?

13. Does the system use ...

    orthographic projection?

    perspective projection?

    orthographic with scale factor?

14. What type of imagery does the system use?

    range-- if so, what type(s)?

    intensity-- if so, grayscale or color?

    other-- if so, what?

15. Does the system use a single view or multiple views?

16. If the system uses multiple views, are the viewpoints fixed ahead of time?

17. If the system uses multiple views from varying viewpoints, how are they selected?

18. Does the system incorporate a ``table-top'' assumption?
   (That is, does it use explicit knowledge of a supporting plane for the objects?)

19. Can the system recognize occluded objects?

    if they share a supporting plane (example-- one behind the other on a table)?

    if they are laying on top of each other (example-- a pile of objects on a table)?

20. What type of image features are used by the system for matching?

    purely shape-based (edges, contours, junctions)?

    texture?

    color?

    other-- if so, what?

21. Does recognition include estimation of pose?

22. How many scenes has the system analyzed?

23. Is the lighting ...

    ``normal room lighting''?

    special lighting set up some time ago and not changed between scene analyses?

    optimized for each scene analysis?

    under automatic control of the recognition system in some way?

24. Is the matching strategy based on:

    interpretation trees of some type?

    iterative optimization techniqes?

    geometric hashing of some sort?

    other-- if so, what?

25. What do you consider the strongest point of your system?

26. What do you consider the strongest point of CAD-based vision systems generally?

27. What do you consider the weakest point of your system?

28. What do you consider the weakest point of CAD-based vision systems generally?

29. What important dimension of CAD-based vision systems is not captured
    in this survey?

30.  E-mail and regular mail address for contacting you.

------------------------------

End of VISION-LIST
********************

Vision-List-Request@ADS.COM (Vision-List moderator Phil Kahn) (12/12/90)

Vision-List Digest	Tue Dec 11 10:30:41 PDT 90

 - Send submissions to Vision-List@ADS.COM
 - Send requests for list membership to Vision-List-Request@ADS.COM

Today's Topics:

 Gaussian Blurring
 Autofocus Microscope
 Devices for aerial rangefinding
 Aerial Photographs
 Preliminary CFP: Conference - ICARCV 92
 Consciousness & Science Discussion Group/DEC.14 MEETING

Date: Mon, 3 Dec 90 22:59:11 CST
From: keith@vision.ee.utexas.edu (Keith Bartels)
Subject: Gaussian Blurring

Does anyone have any reference or information on the removal
of Gaussian blur from images?  I am specifically interested in blur
that is the result of a diffusion process, but anything on Gaussian
blur would be useful.
   Thanks, Keith B.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Dec 90 14:17:48 EST
From: frankhua@bart.ads.com (Frank X.J HUANG)
Subject: Autofocus Microscope

We do need some kind of _AutoFocus_ microscope for the upcoming project.
We don't want to spend most of the time on focusing when moving from one
object(probably cell) to another. Does anybody know which company has this
kind of products. I would like to have more detailed information like
company name, price, focusing time, resolution, etc.

Thanks a lot.

| E-mail:	     		    ||    Frank X.J. Huang		|
|   frankhua@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca    ||    School of Computer Science    |
| Tel#:		            	    ||	  McGill University		|
|   Office:(514)398-7086            ||	  Montreal, Canada		|
|   Home  :(514)284-5479	    ||	  H3A 2A7			|
| Fax:     (514)398-3883	    ||					|

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Dec 90 18:57:07 CST
From: rraby1@ub.d.umn.edu (Richard E. Raby)
Subject: Devices for aerial rangefinding

I have recently begun a project that involves capturing video images of
arbitrary landscapes from an airplane for input to a Geographic
Information System (GIS). We have the hardware to grab single frames of
video and digitize them in raster form, but what we really need is an
inexpensive, yet accurate rangefinder (RADAR) to indicate our position
above the lanscape. This device should be accurate to within 10 meters
and cost no more than $10,000. It should also be capable of producing a
digital output (I'd settle for analog) that can be inputted to an IBM PC
compatible computer. If anyone knows of such a device and what
company makes it, please conact me directly at rraby1@ub.d.umn.edu.
Thanks in advance,

	- Richard Raby
	  NRGIS CWE NRRI UMD	rraby1@ub.d.umn.edu

------------------------------

Date: 1 Dec 90 18:36:10 -0600
From: cornell@vax1.mankato.msus.edu
Subject: Aerial Photographs

I would like to make contact with individuals who have some experience in
working with low-level (10,000 feet) black and white infrared photographs in
relationship to object identification.

Lee Cornell
Dept of Computer Science
Box 225
Mankato State University
Mankato, MN 56002-8400
e-mail: CORNELL@MSUS1.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: 2 December 90, 09:22:19 UPM
From: FACC005@SAUPM00.BITNET
Subject: Preliminary CFP: Conference - ICARCV 92

           SECOND INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON AUTOMATION,
              ROBOTICS AND COMPUTER VISION (ICARCV '92)

                      PRELIMINARY CALL FOR PAPERS

    Organised by Nanyang Technological Institute and
    Institution of Engineering, Singapore. Cosponsored
    by IEEE Singapore chapter, Instrumention and Control
    Society, Economics Development Board, National Computer
    Board, SDAA and GINTIC, Institute of CIM, Singapore.

    To be held in Singapore, on 15-18 September 1992. Authors
    are invited to send four copies of the extended summary
    (500-1000 words) and a brief abstract to :

              A/Prof D P Mital
              School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
              Nanyang Technological Institute
              Nanyang Avenue, Singapore 2263
              Republic of Singapore
              Fax: (65)264 1687
              E-Mail: EMITAL@NTIVAX.BITNET

        The deadline for submission of the abstract and four copies of
        the summaries is MARCH 31, 1992.

        SUGGESTED AREAS (BUT NOT LIMITED TO) ARE :

        ROBOTICS
        *  Robotic control
        *  Mobile robots and navigation
        *  Task planning
        *  Intellegent sensors
        *  Micro robots

        COMPUTER VISION
        *  Image processing
        *  3-D/Colour/Stereo image analysis
        *  Dynamic scense analysis
        *  Machine vision
        *  Vision systems

        INTELLIGENT AUTOMATION
        *  Instrumentation systems
        *  Flexible manufacturing systems
        *  Process Automation
        *  Man-machine interation

        NEURAL NETWORKS & APPLICATIONS
        *  Network dynamics
        *  Network architectures
        *  Learning algorithms
        *  Hardware implementation

        PARALLEL COMPUTING
        *  Algorithms
        *  Software

        AI & EXPERT SYSTEMS
        *  Knowledge acquisition
        *  Knowledge representation
        *  AI Languages
        *  Intelligent control
        *  User interface and tools

        CONTROL APPLICATIONS
        *  System identification
        *  Power system control
        *  Motion control
        *  Modelling and simulation

        REAL TIME SYSTEMS
        *  Specification and analysis
        *  Fault tolerance
        *  Implementation aspects

        Proposals for offering one day Tutorials/Workshops
        in the relevant areas are also invited. We encouraged
        Tutorial proposals from the prospective authors.

        Note :  Beside presenting your papers, you would get a
                chance to visit the beautiful garden city
                Singapore in South East Asia.

------------------------------

Date: 11 Dec 90 03:35:10 GMT
From: bvi@cca.ucsf.EDU (Ravi Gomatam)
Subject: CONSCIOUSNESS & SCIENCE DISCUSSION GROUP/DEC.14 MEETING

           CONSCIOUSNESS AND SCIENCE--DISCUSSION GROUP

The purpose of this group, which meets on the second Friday of every
month, is to explore the nature of consciousness and its relationship
to science, in such fields as biology, physics, artificial intelligence,
psychology and parapsychology.  Relevant ideas from mathematics will
also be discussed. In general, a minimum of graduate level training
is assumed of participants. The meetings are free and open to all
interested persons.

                   Next Meeting Announcement
                    BRAIN AND CONSCIOUSNESS

SPEAKER:John R Smythies, M.D.,
	Institute of Neurology, Univ. of London;
 	Distinguished Emeritus Prof., Univ. of Alabama Medical Center
	and Visiting Scholar, Dept. of Philosophy, Stanford Univ.
DATE:	December 14, 1990 (Friday)
PLACE:	Room N721, School of Nursing, U.C. San Francisco
TIME:	7:30 P.M
FORMAT: 7:30-8:00 Social;
		   8:00-9:00 Talk; 9:00-10:00 Discussion

This presentation will concentrate on a new theory
of the relationship between phenomenological consciousness and the
brain. If consciousness is taken as the collection of sensations,
images and thoughts, this taken with the Representative Theory of
Perceptions, indicates that Descartes was wrong in selecting the criterion
of extension in space as differentiating the physical from the mental.  So
far from being a thinking spirit, consciousness (mind) is a spatial entity.
Therefore our understanding of the mind/brain problem may be advanced by an
investigation of the geometrical relationships between the phenomenological
space of consciousness and physical space.Registration: If you are attending
for the first time, please pre-register by calling Kainila Rajan Ph.D. at
(415) 753-8647/8648, or Jean Burns, Ph.D. at (415) 481-7507.

Directions: The closest parking is the UCSF public garage at 500
Parnassus Avenue. Special $1 parking rate if you get your ticket validated
at the meeting. After parking, come upto street level on Parnassus,
cross the street to enter Medical Sciences Building (513 Parnassus).
Go through the double doors and follow the first corridor to your
right all the way to the school of Nursing Building.. Take elevator
to the seventh floor and turn left.

------------------------------

End of VISION-LIST
********************

Vision-List-Request@ADS.COM (Vision-List moderator Phil Kahn) (12/28/90)

Vision-List Digest	Thu Dec 27 11:30:42 PDT 90

 - Send submissions to Vision-List@ADS.COM
 - Send requests for list membership to Vision-List-Request@ADS.COM

Today's Topics:

 Conference on Spatial Vision in Humans and Robots
 Call for Papers: Geometric Methods in Computer Vision
 Preliminary Announcement (ECCV92)

Date: 	Sun, 23 Dec 90 00:52:39 EST
From: <jenkin@kiwi.cs.yorku.ca>
Subject: Conference on Spatial Vision in Humans and Robots

          CONFERENCE ON SPATIAL VISION IN HUMANS AND ROBOTS

                  YORK UNIVERSITY, NORTH YORK, CANADA

                        JUNE 18TH to 22ND 1991

Tentative Programme

June 18:          6:00 - 10:00 pm Buffet Reception
June 19:          Six talks on Robotics
June 20:          Four talks on Vision, two on Robotics
June 21:          Four talks on Vision, three on Robotics
                  Evening Banquet
June 22:          Three talks on Vision
                  Barbecue Lunch and Social

TENTATIVE LIST OF SPEAKERS

Danna Ballard          Ken Nakayama
J. R. Bergen           Alex Pentland
Michael Brady          Tomaso Poggio
Patrick Cavanaugh      David Regan
John Daugman           Whitman Richards
Karen DeValois         John Tsotsos
David Heeger           Hugh Wilson
Geoffrey Hinton        Alan Yuille
Allan Jepson           Steven Zucker
Bela Julesz
Stanley Klein

REGISTRATION FEE

$50.00 Canadian ($20.00 for students) if paid by May 15th.
$60.00 Canadian ($25.00 for students) if paid after May 15th.

MEALS

Meals will be available in the University dining halls or off campus.
There will be a banquet on June 21st for which advance payment of
$25.00 Canadian is required by May 15th.

ACCOMMODATIONS

Accommodations will be available in the Colleges of York University at
approximately $30 to $35 per person per night, or at La Strada Hotel at
approximately $51.00 per person per night (single or double).

                            Registration Form

NAME:_______________________________________________________________

ADDRESS:____________________________________________________________

I enclose payment for registration fee $__________________(CDN)

I enclose payment for ____ banquet tickets $______________(CDN)

Please book the following rooms (no deposit required)
                     College single        Hotel single       Hotel double

Tuesday June 18th        _____               _____              _____

Wednesday June 19th      _____               _____              _____

Thursday June 20th       _____               _____              _____

Friday June 21st         _____               _____              _____

POSTERS:

Facilities could be available for Posters to be displayed if there is
sufficient interest.

Would you be interested in presenting a Poster?_____________

Please return this form to:

Ian P. Howard
103 Farquharson Building
York University
North York, Ontario, Canada
M3J 1P3.

*Registration and banquet fees should be in Canadian Dollars by Check or
Money Order payable to York University.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Dec 90 10:51:36 -0500
From: Baba Vemuri <vemuri@scuba.cis.ufl.edu>
Subject: Call for Papers: Geometric Methods in Computer Vision

			Call for Papers

		Geometric Methods in Computer Vision
	(Part of SPIE's 36th Annual International Symposium on Optoelectronic
	Applied Science and Engineering; 25-26th July 1991;
			San Diego, California,
	San Diego Convention Center, Marriott Hotel and Marina)

	  Conference Chair: Baba C. Vemuri, Dept. of CIS
               University of Florida, Gainesville, Fl.

Cochairs: Ruud M. Bolle, IBM T. J. Watson Research Ctr., Yorktown Heights NY
Demetri Terzopoulos, Dept. of CS, Univ. of Toronto, Canada
Richard Szeliski, CS Research labs, DEC, Boston, MA
Gabriel Taubin, IBM T. J. Watson Research Ctr., Yorktown Heights NY.

			Key Note Address:
		Dr. David Mumford (A world renowned Mathematician)
	Dept. of Mathematics and Applied Sciences,Harvard University

The theme of this conference is application of geometric methods in
low-level vision tasks, specifically for shape and motion estimation.
Over the past few years, there has been increased  interest in the use
of differential geometry and geometric probability methods for various
low-level vision problems. Papers describing novel contributions in
all aspects of geometric and probabilistic methods in low-level vision
are solicited, with particular emphasis on:

Differential Geometric Methods for Shape Representation

Probability and Geometry (Geometric Probability)

Energy-based Methods for Shape Estimation

Geometry and Motion Estimation

DEADLINES

Abstract Due Date: 24th Dec. 1990

Manuscript Due Date: 24 June 1991

Author applications can be obtained from SPIE directly (If you are
SPIE member, you should have received one already) by calling them or
Faxing a request to the below given numbers.

Send your submissions to:

SPIE Technical program committee/ San Diego '91
P. O. Box 10, Bellingham, WA 98227-0010, USA
TELEFAX: 206/647-1445
Telephone: 206/676-3290 (pacific time)

Note: Late abstract submissions may be considered, subject to program
time availability and chair's approval.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Dec 90 15:32:01 GMT
From: European Conference on Computer Vision <eccv92@dist.dist.unige.it>
Subject: Preliminary Announcement (ECCV92)

                                     ECCV-92
                  Second European Conference on Computer Vision

                             PRELIMINARY ANNOUNCEMENT

                                 May 18-23, 1992
                             Santa Margherita Ligure
                                      ITALY

          OBJECTIVES AND TOPICS

               ECCV-92 will be held in Santa Margherita  Ligure  (Italy)
          in  May 1992.  The main objective of the Conference is to pro-
          vide a forum to present and discuss recent  research  advances
          in the field of Computer Vision.

               The first ECCV Conference was held in Antibes (France) in
          April  1990 and was stimulated by the perception that the com-
          munity of researchers working on computer vision in Europe has
          grown  considerably in the last few years.  The ESPRIT initia-
          tive and the increasing number of  research  projects  carried
          out  jointly  by scientists from different European Countries,
          has helped the creation of a  "network"  of  research  centers
          active in this field.

               The Conference is open to international participation (in
          ECCV-90  one  third  of the published papers came from outside
          Europe) and all the papers will be evaluated by the  Programme
          Committee on scientific grounds.

               Topics of interest are: Colour, Texture, Stereo,  Motion,
          Image  Features,  Stereo  Motion  Cooperation,  Active Vision,
          Shape, Vision based Control, Hardware Architectures,  Applica-
          tions.

          STRUCTURE OF THE CONFERENCE

          The programme will be articulated in three parts:

          (1)  A four day, single track Conference

          (2)  an "ESPRIT day" devoted to  the  presentation  of  ESPRIT
               projects  in  the field of computer vision (this day will
               be opened to non-European participants).

          (3)  Workshops on Esprit  Basic  Research  Action  on  Machine
               Vision.

          PAPERS
          Authors will be asked to  present  unpublished,  original
          papers  either  as  LONG PAPERS (appoximately 20 double spaced
          pages) or as  SHORT  PAPERS  (approximately  7  double  spaced
          pages). A poster session will also be organized.

          DEADLINES
          November 1990:                  First Announcement
          March 1991:                     Call for Papers
          October 15, 1991:               Submission of Papers
          December 15, 1991:              Notification of Acceptance
          January 31, 1992:               Final Version Received
          May 18-23, 1992:                ECCV-92 and Related Events

          CONFERENCE CHAIRMAN
          Giulio Sandini - DIST University of Genoa

          CONFERENCE BOARD
          Bernard Buxton                  GEC-Marconi, Hirst Research Centre
          Olivier Faugeras                INRIA - Sophia Antipolis
          Goesta Granlund                 Linkoping University
          John Mayhew                     Sheffield University
          Hans H. Nagel                   Karlsruhe University, Fraunhofer Inst.

          PROGRAMME COMMITTEE
          Nicholas Ayache                 INRIA - Rocquencourt
          Mike Brady                      Oxford University
          Andrew Blake                    Oxford University
          Hans Burkhardt                  University Hamburg-Harburg
          Hilary Buxton                   Queen Mary and Westfield College
          James Crowley                   LIFIA-INPG Grenoble
          Rachid Deriche                  INRIA-Sophia-Antipolis
          E. Dickmanns                    Universitat der Bundeswehr Munchen
          Jan-Olof Eklundh                Royal Institute of Technology
          David Hogg                      Leeds University
          Ian Koenderink                  Utrecht State  University
          Hans Knutsson                   Linkoping University
          Roger Mohr                      LIFIA-INPG Grenoble
          Bernd Neumann                   FB Informatik, Hamburg University
          Carme Torras                    Institut de Cibernetica - Barcelona
          Vincent Torre                   University of Genova

          ESPRIT DAY
          Patrick Van Hove                CEC - DGXIII

          ESPRIT BASIC RESEARCH WORKSHOPS
          James Crowley                   LIFIA - Grenoble

          VIDEO PROCEEDINGS
          Giovanni Garibotto              ELSAG S.p.A.

          PROCEEDINGS
          The proceedings of ECCV-90 were published  by  Springer-Verlag
          in  the  "Lecture  Notes in Computer Science" series and it is
          intended to  make  a  similar  arrangement  for  ECCV-92.  The
          proceedings  will be distributed to participants at the begin-
          nig of the Conference.  In addition, a selection of  the  best
          papers  from  ECCV-90  will  shortly be published in a Special
          Issue of Image and Vision Computing. Again, it is intended  to
          make similar arrangements for ECCV-92.

          VIDEO PROCEEDINGS
          In addition to the publication of the  "paper  proceedings"  a
          collection  of  videos  will  be  produced showing the dynamic
          results presented. The selection of the videos will be coordi-
          nated by Giovanni Garibotto of ELSAG S.p.A.

          RELATED EVENTS
          Scientific Events: In the  week  preceding  ECCV-92  the  IEEE
          Conference  on  Robotics  and  Automation will be held in Nice
          (France). Santa Margherita Ligure  is  conveniently  connected
          through  local  transportation  (train  or  car) for those who
          whish to attend both events.

          1992 Celebration of the Discovery of America:  The  year  1992
          will  be  a special year for the city of Genoa.  The city will
          host a number of cultural and entertainement events in  honour
          of  the  500th  anniversary of the discovery of America by the
          Genoese explorer Cristoforo  Colombo.  Among  these  events  a
          world  exhibition  and  a  new acquarium will be opened to the
          public.

          VENUE OF THE CONFERENCE
          The conference will be held in Santa Margherita Ligure at  the
          Hotel Miramare. Santa Margherita Ligure is a small town in the
          Italian Riviera  close  to  the  city  of  Genova.  The  Hotel
          Miramare is located on the sea facing the Portofino Gulf a few
          kilometers from the village of Portofino. Also  close  to  the
          conference  site is the pleasant resort area of "Cinque Terre"
          whose picturesque villages on the rocky coast can  be  reached
          by  train  only.  The Conference site can be reached by car or
          by train from the major cities of  the  northern  and  central
          Italy.   The  closest international airports are Genova, Pisa,
          Milan and Rome.

          SPONSORS:
          European Vision Society
          Special Project on Robotics of the CNR
          INRIA
          Commission of the European Communities

          ORGANIZATION:
          DIST University of Genoa
          Consorzio Genova Ricerche CEC  -
          DG XIII

          COORDINATION AND INFORMATION:
          Paola Ponte
          ECCV-92 Secretariat
          Consorzio Genova Ricerche
          Via dell'Acciaio 139
          16152 Genova - Italy

          Phone: +39 10 651-4000 Fax: +39 10 603-801
          e-mail: eccv92@dist.unige.it

          SECRETARIAT:
          Bice  Del  Papa                   DIST  Genova
          Francesca Tassara               c/o DIST Genova

          ACCOMODATION AND LOGISTICS:
          Nicoletta Piccardo              Eurojob Srl Genova

End of VISION-LIST