[comp.ai.vision] VISION-LIST digest 10.10

Vision-List-Request@ADS.COM (Vision-List moderator Phil Kahn) (03/05/91)

To: Vision-List@ADS.COM

VISION-LIST Digest    Mon Mar 04 12:59:53 PDT 91     Volume 10 : Issue 10

 - Send submissions to Vision-List@ADS.COM
 - Send requests for list membership to Vision-List-Request@ADS.COM
 - Access Vision List Archives via anonymous ftp to ADS.COM

Today's Topics:

 Software for stereo vision
 Detection of zero-crossings of LG in Kim-Aggarwal stereo algorithm.
 UMIACS Prallel Processing Lab Invites Usage of its Facilities
 Research Opportunities
 SPIE Intelligent Robots and Computer Vision -- Boston
 Tools for AI Conference / Call for Papers
 British Machine Vision Association Technical Meeting
 Computists International

Date: Fri, 01 Mar 1991 20:28:22 GMT
From: gingras@wiener.ino.QC.CA (Denis Gingras)
Subject: Software for stereo vision

I would be interested in having some information about public-domain
or commercial software packages available to solve a classical stereo
vision problem for 3D reconstruction of an object. In particular our
vision system involves a stereo microscope with 60X magnification. For
the camera calibration we have to take this aspect into account.
Another particularity is that the focal depth is very narrow.
Therefore, we have to do the reconstruction with partially blurred
images.

If someone has similar experience with this type of problem, I would
appreciate some discussion with him. Thank you in advance for your
replies.

Dr. Denis J. Gingras                |    Snail: 369 rue Franquet, Sainte-Foy
National Optics Institute           |           Quebec, Canada, G1P 4N8
Phone: +1 418 657 7006              | Internet: gingras%wiener@drolet.CAM.ORG
Fax:   +1 418 657 7009              |     UUCP: uunet!altitude!drolet!gingras

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 91 16:22:41 GMT
From: dizzy@diku.dk (John Bach Jensen)
Subject: Detection of zero-crossings of LG in Kim-Aggarwal stereo algorithm.

In their artictle "Positioning Three-dimensional Objects using stereo
images", Yeon C. Kim and J. K. Aggarwal describe a method for
relaxation labeling of feature-points. They use the zero-crossing
pattern of the Laplace-Gaussian operator to determine the initial
probability of a match.

We are currently trying to implement their algorithm and have the
following problem:
Kim-Aggarwal detect zero-crossing in a way, so that only the following 16
patterns can arise:

	100  000  000  101
	011  111  011  010
	000  000  100  000

	001  001  001  001
	110  010  010  010
	000  100  010  001

	010  010  010  100
	010  010  010  010
	100  010  001  100

	100  100  000  000
	010  010  110  010
	010  001  001  101

Where the 1's indicate a zero-crossing, and 0's indicate no zero-crossing.

Does anybody know a way of detecting zero-crossings that fulfill this
requirement, or (even better) what algorithm they used in the original
paper.

Oh, by the way, the article appeared in:

IEEE journal of robotics and automation, Vol. Ra-3, No-4, August 1987.

Thanks in advance.

Please reply by email to :

dizzy@freja.diku.dk

John B. Jensen.
Grad. Stud.
Institute of Computer Science.
University of Copenhagen.

------------------------------

Date: 27 Feb 91 03:47:53 GMT
From: curtiss@umiacs.umd.edu (Phil J. Curtiss)
Subject: UMIACS Prallel Processing Lab Invites Usage of its Facilities

	The University of Maryland Institute for Advanced Computer Studies
	is currently offering free use of it's Parallel Processing
	Laboratory facilities.  This offer includes staff support, as well
	as use of our Connection Machine.  Details below.

Goals:

	The University of Maryland Institute for Advanced Computer Studies
	(UMIACS) was established in 1985 with goals of broadening the
	overall base of support for computing research throughout the
	University of Maryland System and to focus on interdisciplinary
	topics in computing and nurture their growth within the Institute.
	Research is being conducted in the areas of artificial intelligence,
	computation theory, computer systems, database systems, fault
	tolerance, human factors engineering, numerical analysis, parallel
	processing performance evaluation, and software engineering.

Facilities:

	The Institute operates a 16k Connection Machine with 32 bit floating
	point hardware, two framebuffers and a 5 Gbyte datavault.  Its
	current configuration is as follows:

                                    Software
                                    --------
   Languages:			Utilities:

   - (New) C*			   - NRL C* Library
   				   - C* array library
				   - C* Segment library
				   - CMFG - Fast Graph package

   - *Lisp			   - CMVU
   				   - CMFG - Fast Graph package
				   - CMSSL - Scientific Software Library

   - CM Fortran			   - NRL CM Fortran Library
   				   - CMFG - Fast Graph package
				   - CMSSL - Scientific Software Library

   - C,Lisp,Fortrans-Paris	   - CMFG - Fast Graph package
   				   - CMSSL - Scientific Software Library

                                    HARDWARE
   Connection Machine:

	- 16K processors		- 32 bit floating point hardware
	- 2 1024x1048x24 framebuffers	- 5 Gb DavaVault
	- 2 Sony Monitors 1280x1024

   Front Ends:

	Vax-6210			Sun-4/280
	--------			---------
	64 Mb Mem			32 Mb Mem
	176 Mb Swap			156 Mb Swap
	3 MIPS (approx)			10 MIPS (approx)
	DEC RA81 611 Mb Disk		891 Mb Disk
	EMC MRA600 611 Mb Disk		891 Mb Disk

Active Projects:

	The Institute currently has approximately 60 active projects 50 of
	which are with research institutions (other universities, etc) and
	10 of which are corporate and government.  A list of all current
	research efforts complete with abstracts is being compiled and will
	be available for anonymous ftp in the next couple of months.

Using the Facilities:

	UMIACS offers use of the its Parallel Processing Lab for research.
	We are also making the facilities available, on a limited basis, for
	corporate users.  Interested parties should contact one of the
	individuals below.

People to Contact:

	- Mitchell Murphy, Parallel Systems Manager, mitch@umiacs.umd.edu,
	  (301) 405-6742, University of Maryland, UMIACS, AVW Bldg.,
	  College Park, Md 20742.

	- Phillip Curtiss, Parallel Systems Staff, curtiss@umiacs.umd.edu,
	  (301) 405-6744, University of Maryland, UMIACS, AVW Bldg.,
	  College Park, Md 20742.

	- Larry S. Davis, Directory, lsd@umiacs.umd.edu, (301) 405-6722,
	  University of Maryland, UMIACS, AVW Bldg., College Park, Md 20742.

Domain: curtiss@umiacs.umd.edu		     Phillip Curtiss
  UUCP:	uunet!mimsy!curtiss		UMIACS - Univ. of Maryland
 Phone:	+1-301-405-6744			  College Park, Md 20742

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Feb 91 10:17:55 PST
From: bhanu@ucrmath.ucr.edu (bir bhanu)
Subject: Research Opportunities

                        RESEARCH OPPORTUNITIES

Several postgraduate research positions are  available  at  the  newly
established  Visualization  Laboratory  of the College of Engineering,
University of California at Riverside.  A  Ph.D.  degree  in  Computer
Science  or Electrical Engineering is desired.  However, graduate stu-
dents interested in working towards an M.S. or Ph.D degree in CS or EE
are  also  encouraged.   The  research  areas  of interest include all
aspects of image processing, computer vision, visualization,  computer
graphics  and  robotics.  Some of the research topics and applications
currently being pursued  are  machine  learning  in  computer  vision,
object  recognition, dynamic scene and motion analysis, outdoor robot-
ics, visualization of scientific data, automatic  target  recognition,
navigation, photointerpretation and cartography.

Interested  persons  should  contact  Prof.  Bhanu  at  the  following
address:

Prof. Bir Bhanu
2144 ADM Bldg.
College of Engineering
University of California
Riverside, CA 92521

Tel. (714) 787-3954 OR (714) 787-5190
FAX. (714) 787-3188
E-MAIL. bhanu@ucrengr.ucr.edu OR bhanu@ucrmath.ucr.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Mar 91 13:24:32 EST
From: Rosalind W. Picard <roz@hydepark.media.mit.edu>
Subject: SPIE Intelligent Robots and Computer Vision -- Boston

	   ** Announcement and Call for Papers **

	INTELLIGENT ROBOTS AND COMPUTER VISION X:
		Algorithms and Techniques

   Part of SPIE's Technical Symposium on
	Advances in Intelligent Systems
   November 10-15, 1991
   Boston Mariott Copley Place
   Boston, Massachusetts USA

   Chair: David Casasent
	  Carnegie Mellon University
   Co-Chair: Ernie Hall
	     University of Cincinnati

   This year's conference will focus on new algorithms and techniques for
   intelligent robots and computer vision.  Papers are solicited
   for several topic areas including:

	   - pattern recognition and image processing
	   - image understanding and scene analysis
	   - color image processing, multi-sensor processing
	   - 3-D vision: modeling and representation
	   - object modeling and recognition
	   - neural networks, model-based processors
	   - fuzzy logic in intelligent systems and computer vision
	   - biological basis for the design of sensors in computer vision
	   - intelligent manipulators

   Abstract Due Date: April 1, 1991
   Manuscript Due Date: October 14, 1991

   Information:
     SPIE Technical Program Committee/Boston '91
     P.O. Box 10
     Bellingham, WA  98227-0010
     USA

   Or e-mail to:
         turk@media-lab.media.mit.edu
     or  marlene@gauss.ece.cmu.edu

------------------------------

Date: 2 Mar 91 00:25:55 GMT
From: ck@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Cris Koutsougeras)
Subject: Tools for AI Conference / Call for Papers

                      CALL  FOR  PAPERS
               3rd International Conference on
            TOOLS  FOR  ARTIFICIAL  INTELLIGENCE

             San Jose CA.,  November 5-8, 1991

           Sponsored by the IEEE Computer Society

                           Topics
*       Artificial Intelligence Knowledge-Based Architectures
*       Artificial Intelligence and Software Engineering
*       Machine Learning, Theory and Algorithms
*       Artificial Neural Networks
*       Artificial Intelligence Applications
*       Expert Systems and Environments
*       AI language tools
*       Parallel Processing and Hardware support

                   Conference Co-Chairs :

W.T. Tsai, Dept. of Computer  Science,  Univ.  of  Minnesota,
Minneapolis MN 55455

Nikolas Bourbakis, 4138 Moonflower Court, San Jose, CA 95135
((408)2846494 fax: (408)2566760)

                          Tutorials

In addition to papers proposals for  one  day  tutorials  are
solicited  in  any  of  the  conference areas. Such proposals
should be submitted to the Tutorial Chair by April 10,  1991:
Mark  Perlin,  3rd TAI Tutorial Chair, Dept. of Computer Sci-
ence, Carnegie Mellon University, 5000 Forbes Avenue,  Pitts-
burgh, PA 15213, perlin@cs.cmu.edu (412) 268-5297.

                         Submissions

Submit five copies of their double  spaced  typed  manuscript
(max  of  20  pages) with an abstract to the program chair by
April 10, 1991.  Final papers are restricted to 7 IEEE  model
pages.  In  the  cover  letter please indicate the conference
areas which are relevant to your paper.  Authors will be  no-
tified  of  aceptance  by  July 15th 1991. Outstanding papers
will be elligible for publication  in  Computer  Society/IEEE
journals.

Submitt papers and panel proposals by April 10, 1991 to :
Benjamin Wah, 3rd TAI Program Chair, Coordinated Science  La-
boratory,  MC  228, University of Illinois, 1101 West Spring-
field Avenue, Urbana, IL  61801-3082,  USA.  (217)333-3516(o)
(217) 244-1764 (fax) wah%aquinas@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 3 Mar 91 9:47:27 BST
From: J.Illingworth@ee.surrey.ac.uk
Subject: British Machine Vision Association Technical Meeting

        ***********************************
        BRITISH MACHINE VISION ASSOCIATION
        and Society for Pattern Recognition.
        ***********************************

                TECHNICAL MEETING:
      EUROPEAN PROJECTS IN COMPUTER VISION
          to be held on 20 March 1991
     at the British Institute of Radiology
      36 Portland Place, London W1N 4AT.

         Chairman: M.Brown (BAe)

10:00  Registration and Coffee
10:30  Introduction: M.Brown
10:40  Computer Vision in Radiology (COVIRA) : J.Knapman (IBM)
11:10  Multi-Sensor Image Processing (MUSIP) : F.G.Sawyer (MCCS)
11:45  Vision System Development Environment for Industrial Applications
       (VIDIMUS) : J.Anderson,  R.Bodington (BAe)
12:30  Lunch Break
14:00  Variable Object Identification, Location and Acquisition (VOILA) :
       B.Buxton (GEC)
14:40  Visual Inspection and Evaluation of Wide-Area Scenes (VIEWS) :
       D.Corrall (MCCS)
15:20  Tea
15:40  Signal and Knowledge Integration with Decisional Support for
       Multi-Sensory Systems (SKIDS) : P.Greenway (BAe)
16:20  Perception and Navigation Organisation for Autonomous Mobile
       Applications (PANORAMA) : N.Matthews (BAe)
17:00  Finish

                   REGISTRATION FORM
Please return this form to Miss Annette Harris, BMVA Membership Secretary,
Dept of Physics and Astronomy, University College London, Gower Street. London.
WC1E 6BT. The meeting is free to BMVA members but a charge of 5 pounds
is payable by non-members who should enclose a cheque for this amount made
payable to ``The British Machine Vision Association.''.

NAME: ...........................................
ADDRESS: ........................................
TEL:     ........................................

Due to refurbishment work at the British Institute of Radiology the number
of attendees is restricted to 100 and therefore prior registration is
necessary. Forms should be returned so that they are received not later
than Friday 15 March 1991. Note that lunch is not provided.

------------------------------

Date: Tue 26 Feb 91 22:54:02-PST
From: Ken Laws <LAWS@ai.sri.com>
Subject: Computists International

                      *** PLEASE POST ***

     This is to announce Computists International, a new
 "networking" association for computer and information scientists.

     Hi!  I'm Ken Laws  If this announcement interests you, contact
 me at internet address laws@ai.sri.com.  If you can't get through,
 my mail address is: Dr. Kenneth I. Laws; 4064 Sutherland Drive,
 Palo Alto, CA  94303; daytime phone (415) 493-7390.

     I'm back from two years at the National Science Foundation.
 I used to run AIList, and I miss it.  Now I'm creating a broader
 service for anyone interested in information (or knowledge),
 software, databases, algorithms, or doing neat new things with
 computers.  It's a career-oriented association for mutual
 mentoring about grant and funding sources, information channels,
 text and software publishing, tenure, career moves, institutions,
 consulting, business practices, home offices, software packages,
 taxes, entrepreneurial concerns, and the sociology of work.  We
 can talk about algorithms, too, with a focus on applications.

     Toward that end, I'm going to edit and publish a weekly+
 newsletter, The Computists' Communique. The Communique will be
 tightly edited, with carefully condensed news and commentary.
 Content will depend on your contributions, but I will filter,
 summarize, and generally act like an advice columnist.  (Ann
 Landers?)  I'll also suggest lines of discussion, collect
 "common knowledge" about academia and industry, and help track
 people and projects.  As a bonus, I'll give members whatever
 behind-the-scenes career help I can.

     Alas, this won't be free.  The charter membership fee for
 Computists will depend in part on how many people respond to this
 notice.  The Communique itself will be free to all members, FOB
 Palo Alto; internet delivery incurs no additional charge.  To
 encourage participation, there's a full money-back guarantee
 (excluding postage). Send me a reply to find out more.

                                   -- Ken

     Computists International and The Computists' Communique are
 service marks of Kenneth I. Laws.  Membership in professional
 organizations may be a tax-deductible business expense.

End of VISION-LIST digest 10.10