 Hun(?)-Yeh-Harwood paper
 More on Free connection machine
 CVPR-91
 Reply to "Re:  Visualization '91 Meeting Annoncement" (03/04/91 15:57:
 Visualization '91 Meeting Annoncement
 Getting accounts on the UMIACS Parallel Processing machines
 AI genealogy

Date: Mon, 4 Mar 91 19:56:24 MST
From: peery@ranger.uwyo.edu (Alan Peery)
Subject: Hun(?)-Yeh-Harwood paper

     I am trying to locate a paper by Hun (spelling may be off) Yeh and
Harwood that I believe contains a method for locating a planar object
using monocular vision.

     I had the paper at one time, but it and any references to it seem to
have vanished...  I checked the Rosenfeld bibliographies but I didn't see
it there.

     If you do know where I might find it could you please email the
information--I need to get started soon...

Alan Peery
peery@outlaw.uwyo.edu

------------------------------

Date: 6 Mar 91 18:18:00 GMT
From: curtiss@umiacs.umd.edu (Phil J. Curtiss)
Subject: Getting accounts on the UMIACS Parallel Processing machines

	A little while ago an announcement was made regarding the
availability of University of Maryland Institute for Advanced Computer
Studies (UMIACS) Parallel Processing Lab resources.  Since then, many people
have shown interest in gaining access to these resources.  Below, you will
find a brief summary of what must be submitted to get accounts and start
using the lab's machines.  More information than what is summarized below
may be required of you depending on your specific needs (disk space,
reserved time on a given machine, how many users from one site, etc.).

	To get an account on machines within the UMIACS Parallel Processing
Lab, you must submit a brief abstract of the project for which you wish to
use the machines in the lab along with a list of those who will be working
on the project and those that need accounts.  You must submit this request
to Mitch Murphy (the Parallel Processing Lab Manager) at the following
address mitch@umiacs.umd.edu.

	As stated in the previous article, the UMIACS Parallel Processing
Lab currently operates a 16k Connection Machine and a BBN Butterfly Machine,
with hopes of acquiring other architectures in the future.

	We are currently putting together a detailed document describing the
facilities of the Lab and will make it available via anonymous ftp from
ftp.umiacs.umd.edu.  A list of abstracts of all the current projects in the
lab is also being assembled and will be made available via anonymous ftp
from ftp.umiacs.umd.edu.  Please note that if you wish to apply for an
account on any of the lab's machines, and do *not* wish to be included in
the abstract list that is to be made available, please let us know.  If you
do so, we will not place your project in the list.

	Lastly, we ask that you circulate the availability of the UMIACS
Parallel Processing Lab resources to anyone you think might be interested
and might benefit from the use of the lab.  Please direct any questions you
may have to either curtiss@umiacs.umd.edu or mitch@umiacs.umd.edu.

Domain: curtiss@umiacs.umd.edu		     Phillip Curtiss
  UUCP:	uunet!mimsy!curtiss		UMIACS - Univ. of Maryland
 Phone:	+1-301-405-6744			  College Park, Md 20742

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Mar 91 22:23:04 PST
From: Gerard Medioni <medioni@iris.usc.edu>
Subject: CVPR-91

|  The following is the most current information on IEEE Conference on       |
|  Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR-91), to be held in Maui,    |
|  Hawaii, June 3-6. Official conference announcement and Registeration      |
|  forms will be sent out to IEEE members and will appear in the March       |
|  issue of the COMPUTER magazine. Official advanced program will be sent    |
|  out to IEEE members (PAMI subscribers) by the end of March.               |

Hotel:

Maui Mariott is the official conference hotel. Reservations should be
made directly with the hotel at (808)667-1200. Please mention that you
are attending the IEEE CVPR-91 conference. 1-night deposit is required
within 10 days of arrangement for guaranteed reservation. Conference
rates are good from three days prior to three days after the conference.

Rates;   $110 single/double   $25 for each additional person.

TUTORIALS:

Registeration:

Full day:
Advanced (until May 3) IEEE Member: $225  Non-Member 270
On-site/ (after May 3) IEEE Member: $285  Non-Member 340

Half-Day
Advanced (until May 3) IEEE Member: $120  Non-Member 150
On-site/ (after May 3) IEEE Member: $145  Non-Member 185

CONFERENCE:

Registeration:

Advanced (until May 3) IEEE Member: $265  Non-Member 335  Student 120
On-site/ (after May 3) IEEE Member: $320  Non-Member 400  Student 130

Student registeration includes a copy of the proceeding, but not
the admission to the LUAU dinner show. Students or guests may purchase
tickets at site.

On-site Registeration: Sunday Afternoon 5:00 - 7:00
                       Monday Morning   7:00 - xxxx

                    IEEE Computer Society Conference on
                  Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition
                    Maui Mariott, Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii
                               June 3-6, 1991

    GENERAL CHAIR                           PROGRAM CO-CHAIRS

Prof. Shahriar Negahdaripour  Prof. Gerard Medioni     Prof. Berthold K.P. Horn
    Dept of Elect Eng      Inst Robotics & Intel Sys        Dept of EECS
   University of Hawaii        Dept of Elect Eng                MIT
    Honolulu, HI 96822    Univ of Southern California    Cambridge, MA 02139
                          Los Angeles, CA 90089-0273

       TUTORIALS CHAIR                 LOCAL ARRANGEMENTS CHAIR

      Prof. Eric Grimson                 Professor Tep Dobry
        Dept of EECS                      Dept of Elect Eng
            MIT                          University of Hawaii
     Cambridge, MA 02139                  Honolulu, HI 96822

                 Tutorial Program; Monday June 3, 91

Monday Full day; 1:30 -- 5:30 pm

1) Task Based Vision:
   Dr. Katsushi Ikeuchi and Dr. Chuck Thorpe, Robotics Institute,
   Department of Computer Science, Carnegie-Mellon University,
   Schenley Park, Pittsburgh, PA  15213

2) Architectures for Computer Vision
   Dr. Jorge Sanz and Dr. Byron Dom, IBM Almaden Research Center,
   Mail Stop K54, 650 Harry Road, San Jose, CA  95120-6099

Monday Half day; 8:30 - 12:30

3) Psychophysics and Computer Vision:
   Dr. Heinrich Bulthoff, Cognitive & Linguistic Science Dept.
   Brown University, Providence, RI  02912

Monday Half day; 1:30 - 5:30

4) Computational Geometry and Computer Vision:
   Dr. Godfried Toussaint, School of Computer Science
   McGill University, 3480 University St.,
   Montreal, Quebec, CANADA  H3A 2A7

                            ADVANCE PROGRAM

                         Tuesday, June 4, 1991

7:45 - 8:10   Welcoming and Opening Remarks

8:10 - 9:05   Invited Lecture, "TELEOLOGICAL COMPUTER GRAPHICS MODELING"
              Professor Al Barr, CalTech (Computer graphics and Animation)

9:05 - 9:30   Coffee Break

9:30 - 11:15 Parallel Sessions

  Session A1: Object Recognition I (2-D)

    Model Group Indexing for Recognition
    David T. Clemens and David Y. Jacobs
    Artificial Intelligence Laboratory
    Massachusetts Institute of Technology

    Planar Shape Classification using Hidden Markov Model
    Yang He and Amlan Kundu
    State University of New York at Buffalo

    Pose Clustering on Constraints for Object Recognition
    Rangachar Kasturi and Chakravarthy S. Chennubhotla
    Department of Electrical Engineering
    The Pennsylvania State University

    On the Error Analysis of "Geometric Hashing"
    Hezzie Lamdan and Haim J. Wolfson
    Robotics Research Laboratory
    New York University

    Shape Acquisition and Recognition Using High Dimensional Indices
    Andrea Califano and Rakesh Mohan
    IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center

    Shape Representation and Recognition from Curvature
    Gregory Dudek and John Tsotsos
    Research Centre for Intelligent Machines
    McGill University, Canada

  Session B1: Stereo and Surface Reconstruction

    Surface Approximation Using Weighted Splines
    Sarvajit S. Sinha and Brian G. Schunck
    University of Michigan

    Use of Monocular Groupings and Occlusion Analysis in a
    Hierarchical Stereo System
    ChiKit Chung and Ramakant Nevatia
    Institute for Robotics and Intelligent Systems
    University of Southern California

    Curve-Based Stereo: Figural Continuity and Curvature
    Luc Robert and Oliver D. Faugeras
    Institut National de Recherche en Informatique et en Automatique, France

    A Multiple-Baseline Stereo Matching Algorithm
    Masatoshi Okutomi and Takeo Kanade
    School of Computer Science
    Carnegie Mellon University

    Sampling and Reconstruction with Adaptive Meshes
    Demetri Terzopoulos and Manuela Vasilescu
    Schlumberger Laboratory for Computer Science

    Stereopsis and Image Registration from Extended Edge Features
    in the Absence of Camera Pose Information
    N. M. Vaidya and Kim L. Boyer
    Department of Electrical Engineering
    The Ohio State University

11:30 - 1:00 Poster Session
11:15 - 2:10 Lunch break

2:10 - 3:55 Parallel Sessions

  Session A2: Motion I: General

    The Application of a Hybrid Tracking Algorithm to Motion Analysis
    M. J. Fletcher, K. Warwick and R.J. Mitchell
    Department of Cybernetics
    The University, Whiteknights, England

    Algorithmic Characterization of Vehicle Trajectories from Image
    Sequences by Motion Verbs
    D. Koller, N. Heinze and H.-H. Nagel
    Institut fur Algorithmen und Kognitive Systeme
    Fakultat fur Informatik der Universitat Karlsruhe, Germany

    Using Stereomotion to Track Binocular Targets
    Michael Jenkin
    York University, Canada

    Establishing Motion Correspondence
    Krishnan Rangarajan and Mubarak Shah
    Department of Computer Science
    University of Central Florida

    The Camera Stability Problem and Dynamic Stereo Vision
    Saied Moezzi, Sandra L. Bartlett and Terry E. Weymouth
    Artificial Intelligence Laboratory
    The University of Michigan

    The P-Field:  A Computational Model for Binocular Motion Processing
    Poornima Balasubramanyam and M. A. Snyder
    Computer and Information Science Department
    University of Massachusetts at Amherst

  Session B2: Calibration

    Finding the Aspect-Ratio of an Imaging System
    Ali Bani-Hashemi
    Siemens Corporate Research

    Camera Models Determination Using Multiple Frames
    Hsi-Jian Lee and Chin-Tsing Deng
    Department of Computer Science and Information Engineering
    National Chiao Tung University, Taiwan

    Two Plane Camera Calibration:  A Unified Model
    Guo Qing Wei and Song De Ma
    National Laboratory of Pattern Recognition
    Institute of Automation, Chinese Academy of Sciences,
    Peoples Republic of China

    Relative Positioning from Geometric Invariants
    Roger Mohr and Luce Morin
    LIFIA-Imag, France

    A Screw Approach to Uniqueness of Head-Eye Geometry
    Homer H. Chen
    AT&T Bell Laboratories

    Comuputing Viewpoints
    Konstantinos Tarabanis
    Computer Science Department
    Colombia University
    and Roger Tsai
    IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center

3:55 -- 4:15 Break

4:15 - 5:45 Parallel Sessions

  Session A3: Motion II (Navigation)

    Real-Time Generation of Environmental Map and Obstacle
    Avoidance Using Monidirectional Image Sensor with Conic Mirror
    Yasushi Yagi and Masahiko Yachida
    Department of Information and Computer Sciences
    Osaka University, Japan

    Multiframe-Based Identification of Mobile Components of a Scene
    with a Moving Camera
    Edouard Francois and Patrick Bouthemy
    Institut National de Recherche en Informatique et en Automatique, France

    Qualitative Detection of Motion by a Moving Observer
    Randal C. Nelson
    Department of Computer Science
    University of Rochester

    Identification and 3D Description of "Shallow" Environmental
    Structure in a Sequence of Images
    Harpreet S. Sawhney and Allen R. Hanson
    Computer and Information Science Department
    University of Massachusetts

    Dynamic Stereo in Visual Navigation
    Massimo Tistarelli, E. Grosso and G. Sandini
    University of Genoa, Italy

  Session B3: Low-Level Vision I (Edge Detection)

    Adaptive Estimation of Hysteresis Thresholds
    Edwin R. Hancock
    Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
    and Josef Kittler
    Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering
    University of Surrey, United Kingdom

    Segmentation By Nonlinear Diffusion
    Jayant Shah
    Mathematics Department
    Northeastern University

    Discontinuity Detection and Thresholding - A Stochastic Approach
    David Lee
    AT&T Bell Laboratories
    and G. W. Wasilkowski
    Department of Computer Science
    University of Kentucky

    Edge Detection Using Refined Regularization
    Muhittin Gokmen and Ching-Chung Li
    Department of Electrical Engineering
    University of Pittsburgh

    Deformable Kernels for Early Vision
    Pietro Perona
    Massachusetts Institute of Technology

6:00 - 7:00 Reception

7:30  PAMI Technical Committee Meeting

                            Wednesday, June 5, 1991

8:00 - 8:55  Invited Lecture, "REMOTE-SENSING ISSUES FOR INTELLIGENT
                                                  UNDERWATER SYSTEMS"
                 Dr. Ken Stewart, Deep Submergence Lab, Woods Hole
                 Oceanographic Institute (Sensing Technology for Subsea)

8:55 - 9:20  Coffee Break

9:20 - 11:05 Parallel Sessions

  Session C1: Object Recognition II (3-D)

    Closed-Form Solutions for Physically-Based Shape Modeling and
    Recognition
    Stan Sclaroff and Alex Pentland
    The Media Laboratory
    Massachusetts Institute of Technology

    Structural Hashing:  Efficient Three Dimensional Object Recognition
    Fridtjof Stein and Gerard Medioni
    Institute for Robotics and Intelligent Systems
    University of Southern California

    Generic Recognition Through Qualitative Reasoning About 3-D
    Shape and Object Function
    Louise Stark and Kevin Bowyer
    University of South Florida

    An Efficient Correspondence Based Algorithm for 2D and 3D Model
    Based Recognition
    Thomas M. Breuel
    Artificial Intellingence Laboratory
    Massachusetts Institute of Technology

    Fast Affine Point Matching:  An Output-Sensitive Method
    Daniel P. Huttenlocher
    Department of Computer Science
    Cornell University

    Optimal Matching of Planar Models in 3D Scenes
    David W. Jacobs
    Artificial Intellingence Laboratory
    Massachusetts Institute of Technology

  Session D1: Optical Flow

    Automatic Feature Extraction Using Data Fusion In Remote Sensing
    Joachim Dengler
    German Cancer Research Center, Germany

    Temporal Slice Analysis of Image Sequences
    Shou-Ling Peng
    Institute for Robotics and Intelligent Systems
    University of Southern California

    A Unified Computational Theory for Motion Transparency and
    Motion Boundaries Based on Eigenenergy Analysis
    Masahiko Shizawa and Kenji Mase
    Visual Perception Laboratory
    NTT Human Interface Laboratories, Japan

    Robust Dynamic Motion Estimation Over Time
    Michael J. Black and P. Anandan
    Department of Computer Science
    Yale University

    Long-Range Spatiotemporal Motion Understanding Using
    Spatiotemporal Flow Curves
    Mark Allmen and Charles R. Dyer
    Department of Computer Science
    University of Wisconsin-Madison

    Computing Optical Flow Distributions Using Spatio-Temporal Filters
    Eero P. Simoncelli, Edward H. Edelson and David J. Heeger
    The Media Laboratory
    Massachusetts Institute of Technology

11:15 - 12:45 Poster Session
11:05 - 2:10  Lunch Break

2:10 - 3:40 Parallel Sessions

  Session C2: Non-Rigid Motion

    Measurement of Non-rigid Motion in Images using Contour Shape Descriptors
    Randall L. Owen, Lawrence Staib, P. Anandan and James S. Duncan
    Departments of Electrical Engineering, Computer Science
    and Diagnostic Radiology
    Yale University

    Recovery of Non-Rigid Motion and Structure
    Brad Horowitz and Alex Pentland
    Massachusetts Institute of Technology

    Non-rigid Motion Analysis and Epicardial Deformation Estimation
    from Angiography Data
    Sanjoy K. Mishra and Dmitry B. Goldgof
    University of South Florida

    Constrained Deformable Superquadrics and Nonrigid Motion Tracking
    Dimitri Metaxas and Demetri Terzopoulos
    Department of Computer Science
    University of Toronto, Canada

    Using Collinear Points to Compute Egomotion and Detect Non-rigidity
    Niels da Vitoria Lobo and John K. Tsotsos
    Department of Computer Science
    University of Toronto, Canada

  Session D2: Texture

    A Linear Algorithm for Computing the Phase Portraits of
    Oriented Textures
    Chiao-fe Shu, Ramesh Jain and Francis Quek
    Artificial Intelligence Laboratory
    The University of Michigan

    A Computational Model for Edge Detection and Texture Segmentation
    B.S. Manjunath and R. Chellappa
    Signal and Image Processing Institute
    University of Southern California

    A Multi-Channel Filtering Approach to Texture Segmentation
    Farshid Farrokhnia
    Innovision Corporation
    and Anil K. Jain
    Department of Computer Science
    Michigan State University

    Miscibility Matrices for Grayscale Textures Generated by Gibbs
    Random Fields
    Ibrahim M. Elfadel
    Research Laboratory of Electronics
    Massachusetts Institute of Technology
    and Rosalind W. Picard
    The Media Laboratory
    Massachusetts Institute of Technology

    Fractal Probability Functions and An Application to Data
    Compression and Image Segmentation
    Jacques Levy Vehel
    Institut National de Recherche en Informatique et en Automatique, France

3:40 - 4:00  Coffee Break

4:00 - 5:30 Parallel Sessions

  Session C3: Active Vision and Perceptual Grouping

    A Quantitative Approach to Camera Fixation
    Daniel Raviv
    Robotics Center and Electrical Engineering Department
    Florida Atlantic University

    A Dynamic System for Object Description and Correspondence
    B. Parvin
    Institute for Robotics and Intelligent Systems
    University of Southern California

    Implementation of the Fixation Method on Real Images: Direct
    Recovery of Motion and Shape in the General Case
    M. Ali Taalebinezhaad
    Artificial Intellingence Laboratory
    Massachusetts Institute of Technology

    Finding Convex Edge Groupings in an Image
    Daniel P. Huttenlocher and Peter C. Wayner
    Department of Computer Science
    Cornell University

    Vision Guided Manipulation Using an Active Camera
    Jiang Yu Zheng
    ATR Communication Systems Research Lab, Japan
    and Qian Chen
    Department of Control Engineering
    Osaka University, Japan

  Session D3: Low-Level Vision II: Pattern Recognition and Segmentation

    Map Representations and Coding-Based Priors for Segmentation
    Kenneth Keeler
    AT&T Bell Laboratories

    Fuzzy Algorithms to Find Linear and Planar Clusters
    Raghu Krishnapuram and Chih-Pin Freg
    University of Missouri

    Syntactic Pattern Classification by Branch and Bound Search
    Alan Y. Commike and Jonathan J. Hull
    Department of Computer Science
    State University of New York at Buffalo

    Pattern Recognition with New Class Discovery
    Inhao Chang and Murray H. Loew
    George Washington University

    Topological Segmentation of Discrete Surfaces
    Gregoire Malandain, Jilles Bertrand and Nicholas Ayache
    Institut National de Recherche en Informatique et en Automatique, France

5:45 - 9:15 Luau Show and Dinner

                            Thursday, June 6, 1991

8:00 - 8:05  Invited Lecture, "SMALL AUTONOMOUS MOBILE ROBOTS:
                                            SENSING AND ACTION"
                 Professor Rodney Brooks, MIT Artificial Intelligence Lab.

9:05 - 9:20  Coffee Break

9:20 - 11:05 Parallel Sessions

  Session E1: Object Recognition III (General)

    Recognition and Semi-Differential Invariants
    Luc Van Gool, P. Kempenaers and A. Oosterlinck
    Dept. Elektrotechniek
    Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium

    Articulated Object Recognition, or How to Generalize the
    Generalized Hough Transform
    Avinoam Beinglas and Haim J. Wolfson
    Department of Computer Science
    Tel Aviv University, Israel

    Shape Representation and Image Segmentation Using Deformable Surfaces
    H. Delingette, M. Hebert and K. Ikeuchi
    The Robotics Institute
    Carnegie Mellon University

    Efficiently Using Invariant Theory and Grouping Information for
    Model-based Matching
    Peter C. Wayner
    Department of Computer Science
    Cornell University

    Modeling Polyhedra by Constraints
    V. Nguyen, J. L. Mundy
    Artificial Intelligence Program
    General Electric Company
    and D. Kapur
    Department of Computer Science
    State University of New York at Buffalo

    MAP Model Matching
    William M. Wells III
    Artificial Intellingence Laboratory
    Massachusetts Institute of Technology

  Session F1: Architecture and Algorithms

    Robust Vectorization Using Graph-Based Thinning and
    Reliability-Based Line Approximation
    Satoshi Suzuki and Naonori Ueda
    Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Corporation, Japan

    Integration of Vision Modules:  A Game - Theoretic Approach
    Isil Bozma and James S. Duncan
    Yale University

    Computer Vision Hardware Using the Radon Transform
    W.B. Baringer, R. W. Brodersen
    University of California at Berkeley
    and D. Petkovic
    IBM Almanden Research Center

    Parallel Algorithms and Architectures for Discrete Relaxation Technique
    Wei-Ming Lin and V.K. Prasanna Kumar
    Department of Electrical Engineering - Systems
    University of Southern California

    Exact Euclidean Distance Function by Chain Propagations
    Luc Vincent
    Division of Applied Sciences
    Harvard University

    Morphological Pyramid with Alternating Sequential Filters
    Aldo Morales and Raj Acharya
    State University of New York at Buffalo

11:15 - 12:45 Poster Session
11:05 - 2:10  Lunch Break

2:10 - 3:40 Parallel Sessions

  Session E2: Shape From Shading

    Sources from Shading
    Yibing Yang and Alan Yuille
    Division of Applied Sciences
    Harvard University

    Estimation of Reflectance Map and Shape from Shading
    Q. Zheng and R. Chellappa
    Signal and Image Processing Institute
    University of Southern California

    Boundary Element Methods for Solving Poisson Equations in
    Computer Vision Problems
    Gary Gu and Michael A. Gennert
    Computer Science Department
    Worcester Polytechnic Institute

    The Direct Computation of Height from Shading
    Yvan G. Leclerc and Aaron F. Bobick
    Artificial Intelligence Center
    SRI International

    Shape from Shading as a Partially Well-Constrained Problem
    J. Oliensis
    Computer and Information Sciences Department
    University of Massachusetts at Amherst

  Session F2: Pose Estimation and Face Recognition

    Matching General Polygonal Arcs
    Takeshi Shakunaga
    NTT Human Interface Laboratories, Japan

    Classification of Facial Features for Recognition
    M. A. Shackleton and W. J. Welsh
    Research and Technology
    British Telecom Research Laboratories, England

    Determining 3-D Object Pose Using the Complex Extended Gaussian Image
    Sing Bing Kang and Katsushi Ikeuchi
    The Robotics Institute
    Carnegie-Mellon University

    Face Recognition Using Eigenfaces
    Matthew Turk and Alex Pentland
    The Media Laboratory
    Massachusetts Institute of Technology

    Analysis and Solutions of The Three Point Perspective Pose
    Estimation Problem
    Robert M. Haralick, Chung-nan Lee
    Department of Electrical Engineering
    University of Washington
    and Karnsten Ottenberg
    Philips - Forschungslabor, Germany
    and Michael Nolle
    Technische Universtat Hamburg, Germany

3:40 - 4:00  Coffee Break

4:00 - 5:30 Parallel Sessions

  Session E3: Depth From ...

    A Matrix Based Method for Determining Depth From Focus
    John Ens
    School of Computer Sciences
    Simon Fraser University
    and Peter Lawrence
    Department of Electrical Engineering
    University of British Columbia, Canada

    Temporal Surface Reconstruction
    Joachim Heel
    Artificial Intelligence Laboratory
    Massachusetts Institute of Technology

    How Accurately Can Direct Motion Vision Determine Depth?
    E.J. Weldon Jr. and Hui Liu
    Department of Electrical Engineering
    University of Hawaii

    A Stereoscopic Camera Employing a Single Main Lens
    Edward H. Adelson and John Y. A. Wang
    The Media Laboratory
    Massachusetts Institute of Technology

    Shape from Rotation
    Richard Szeliski
    Cambridge Research Laboratory
    Digital Equipment Corporation

  Session F3: Low-Level Vision III

    Identification of Interreflection in Color Images Using a
    Physics-Based Reflection Model
    Younghee Jang
    Pittsburgh

    Optimal Contour Approximation by Dynamic Piecewise Cubic Splines
    Linnan Liu, Brian G. Schunck and Charles R. Meyer
    The University of Michigan

    From Voxel to Curvature
    Olivier Monga, Nicholas Ayache and Peter T. Sander
    Institut National de Recherche en Informatique et en Automatique, France

    On Corner and Vertex Detection
    G. Giraudon and R. Deriche
    Institut National de Recherche en Informatique et en Automatique, France

    Physically-based Edge Labling
    Terrance E. Boult
    Department of Computer Science
    Columbia University
    and Lawrence B. Wolff
    Department of Computer Science
    Johns Hopkins University

                                POSTER PAPERS

The conference program will also include 45 poster sessions to be presented
for about 1:30 hours each day of the conference during the lunch breaks.

Tuesday 11:30 am - 1:00 pm

    Human Motion Analysis Based on Robot Arm Model
    Masanobu Yamamoto and Kazutada Koshikawa
    Computer Vision Section
    Electrotechnical Laboratory, Japan

    Computing a Stable, Connected Skeleton from Discrete Data
    Jonathan W. Brandt and V. Ralph Algazi
    Computer Vision Research Laboratory
    University of California, Davis

    Shared Memory Multiprocessor Implementation and Evaluation of
    Hough Transform Algorithm
    Alok N. Choudhary and Ravi Ponnusamy
    Syracuse University

    An Analysis of the Probability of Disparity Changes in Stereo
    Matching and a New Algorithm Based on the Analysis
    Charles V. Stewart
    Department of Computer Science
    Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

    A Linear Generalized Hough Transform and Its Parallel Implementation
    Z. N. Li, G. G. Yao and F. Tong
    School of Computing Science
    Simon Fraser University, Canada

    Recovering Shape from Contour for Constant Cross Section
    Generalized Cylinders
    Fatih Ulupinar and Ramakant Nevatia
    Institute for Robotics and Intelligent Systems
    University of Southern California

    Extracting Surfaces of Revolution by Perceptual Grouping of Ellipses
    Paul L. Rosin and Geoff A. W. West
    Cognitive Systems Group
    Curtin University of Technology, Australia

    Offline Tracing and Representation of Signatures
    Jack C. Pan and Sukahan Lee
    Institute for Robotics and Intelligent Systems
    University of Southern California

    MARVEL: A System that Recognizes World Locations with Stereo Vision
    David J. Braunegg
    The MITRE Corporation

    Integration and Interpretation of Incomplete Stereo Scene Data
    Kazuhide Sugimoto, Hironobu Takahashi
    Tsukuba Research Center, Japan
    SANYO Ltd.
    and Fumiaki Tomita
    Electrotechnical Laboratory, Japan

    Dual Networks and Their Pattern Classification Properties
    Ajay Patrikar
    Department of Electrical Engineering
    Southern Methodist University

    Early Jump-Out Corner Detectors
    James Cooper
    Department of Computer Science
    University of Western Australia, Australia
    and Svetha Venkatesh
    School of Computing Science
    Curtin University, Australia
    and Leslie Kitchen
    Department of Computer Science
    University of Western Australia, Australia

    Modelling Solids of Revolution by Monocular Vision
    J.M. Lavest, R. Glachet, M. Dhome and J. T. Lapreste
    Electronics Laboratory
    Blaise Pascal University of Clermont-Ferrand, France

    Uncertainty Update and Dynamic Search Window for Model-Based
    Object Recognition
    Chien-Huei Chen and Prasanna G. Mulgaonkar
    SRI International

    Rapid Euclidean Distance Transform Using Grayscale Morphology
    Decomposition
    C. C. Tony Huang and Robert Mitchell
    Department of Electrical Engineering
    The University of Texas at Arlington

Wednesday  11:15 am - 12:45 pm

    Multi-Dimensional Robust Edge Detection
    Linnan Liu, Brian Schunck and Charles R. Meyer
    Artificial Intelligence Laboratory
    The University of Michigan

    Object Detection Using Contrast Based Scale-Space
    V. Topkar, A. Sood and B. Kjell
    Department of Computer Science
    George Mason University

    Trajectories and Events
    Susan M. Haynes and Ramesh Jain
    Artificial Intelligence Lab
    The University of Michgan

    Shape Adaptation for Modeling of 3D Objects in Natural Scenes
    C.E. Liedtke, H. Busch and R. Koch
    Institut fur Theoretische Nachrichten
    Technik Und InformationsVerarbeitung
    Universitat Hannover, Germany

    Sequences, Structure, and Active Vision
    Raymond D. Rimey and christopher M. Brown
    Computer Science Department
    University of Rochester

    A New Shape Segmentation Approach for Active Vision Systems
    M.J. Aldon and O. Strauss
    Laboratoire d'Automatique et de Microelectronique de Montpellier, France

    Fast Segmentation of Range Images into Planar Regions
    Francis Schmitt and Xin Chen
    Ecole Nationale Superieure des Telecommunications, France

    3D from an Image Sequence - Occlusions and Perspective
    Amir Shmuel and Michael Werman
    Department of Computer Science
    The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel

    Positional Estimation of a Mobile Robot Using Edge Visibility Regions
    Raj Talluri and J.K. Agggarwal
    Computer & Vision Research Center
    University of Texas

    Gripping Information for a robot from Silhouettes
    Frank Ade, Martin Peter and Markus Ilg
    ETH - Zentrum
    Institute for Communication Technology, Switzerland

    A Neural Network Approach to CSG-Based 3-D Object Recognition
    Tsu-Wang Chen and Wei-Chung Lin
    Northwestern University

    Finding Junctions Using the Image Gradient
    David Beymer
    Artificial Intelligence Laboratory
    Massachusetts Institute of Technology

    On An Analysis of Static Occlusion in Stereo Vision
    Chienchung Chang, Shankar Chatterjee, and Paul R. Kube
    Department of Electrical and Computer Engineeroing
    University of California, San Diego

    Deformable Models:  Canonical Parameters for Surface
    Representation and Multiple View Integration
    B.C. Vemuri and R. Malladi
    Computer and Information Sciences Deptartment
    University of Florida

    Qualitative Motion Analysis Using a Spatio-Temporal Approach
    Shih-Peng Liou and Ramesh C. Jain
    Artificial Intelligence Laboratory
    The University of Michigan

Thursday 11:15 am - 12:45 pm

    Multi-Layer Description Networks
    Trevor Darrell and Alex Pentland
    The Media Lab
    Massachusetts Institute of Technology

    Segmentation and Grouping of Object Boundaries Using Energy Minimization
    Deborah Trytten and Miharan Tuceryan
    Computer Science Department
    Michigan State University

    Estimation of Motion and Structure of Planar Surfaces from a
    Sequence of Monocular Images
    Sanghoon Sull and Narendra Ahuja
    Department of Elecrical & Computer Engineering

    Closed-Loop Adaptive Image Segmentation
    Bir Bhanu, John Ming and Sungkee Lee
    Honeywell Systems and Research Center

    Region Based Stereo Matching Oriented Image Processing
    Sabine Randriamasy and Andre Gagalowicz
    Institut National de Recherche en Informatique et en Automatique, France

    Introducing Deformable Surfaces to Segment 3D Images and Infer
    Differential Structures
    Isaac Cohen, Laurent D. Cohen and Nicholas Ayache
    Institut National de Recherche en Informatique et en Automatique, France

    A Computational Framework for SIMD Algorithms to Extract and Manipulate
    Martin C. Herbordt, Charles C. Weems and Michael J. Scudder
    Computer and Information Sciences Department
    University of Massachusetts at Amherst

    Segment-Based Matching for Visual Navigation
    Zhongfei Zhang, Richard Weiss and Edward M. Riseman
    Computer and Information Sciences Department
    University of Massachusetts at Amherst

    Analyzing Skewed Symmetries
    Ari D. Gross and Terrance E. Boult
    Vision and Robotics Lab
    Columbia University

    Determining a Maximum Value Yield of a Log Using an Optical Log Scanner
    Samuel C. Lee, Gen-Sheng Qian, Jan-Bon Chen and Yi-Wei Sun
    School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
    The University of Oklahoma

    A Multi-Scale Approach for Recognizing Complex Annotations in
    Engineering Documents
    Andrew Laine,
    Computer and Information Sciences Department
    University of Florida
    William Ball and Arun Kumar
    Department of Computer Science
    Washington State University

    Surface and Motion Estimation from Sparse Range Data for Tele-robotics
    B.C. Vemuri
    Computer and Information Sciences Department
    University of Florida
    and G. Skofteland
    Norwegian Institute of Technology
    University of Trondheim, Norway

    On Contour Texture
    J. Brian Subirana-Vilanova
    The Artificial Intelligence Laboratory
    Massachusetts Institute of Technology

    A Consensus Structure Inference Algorithm
    David K.Y. Chiu
    Department of Computing and Information Science
    University of Guelph, Canada

    Simplifying Discontinuity Detection with an Eye on Recognition
    Ed Gamble
    ATR Auditory and Visual Perception Laboratory, Japan

        "Some Information about Hotel, Airline, and Rental Car Rates"

Hotel:

The conference hotel is MAUI MARIOTT on KAANAPALI RESORT. It is a very nice
and confortable hotel offering you kind HAWAIIAN hospitality. The conference
rate is $110 for single and double occupancy ($25 for each additional person),
some $50-90 lower than the lowest rates on this resort. The rate is good
from MAY 30 until JUNE 10 (12 days). Somewhat cheaper rates may be available
in Lahaina, which is about 7-10 miles south on Kaanapali resort, but I do not
think it is enough to make it worth the inconvenience of driving, parking,
etc.).

(MY SUGGESTION: Pick Mariott on Kaanapali resort. Kaanapali is THE PRIME resort
location in Hawaii, and the rate is great for this resort. This would be a
memorable trip.)

Air:

There are two airports in Maui, the INTERNATIONAL and WEST MAUI airports.
The first is within 30 minutes of the MARIOTT HOTEL. The seond is within
3 miles (about 10 minutes). Ther are free shuttle buses from and to the
hotels and WEST MAUI airport (so you do not need to take a cab or rent
a car, if you do not wish to do so). The trip from MAUI INTERNATIONAL
to MARIOTT could get bad if there is a traffic jam (created by the
tourists who stop abruptly to take pictures and may cause an accident),
since you drive on a two-lane "high-way".

Both AMERICAN and UNITED airlines fly directly (from LA, Chicago, or Dallas)
to MAUI INTERNATIONAL without stopping in HONOLULU first. You can save some
time and/or money this way. If you need to go to other islands later, you can
catch an inter-island flight on HAWAIIAN and ALOHA from MAUI. There are good
OVERNIGHTER packages (AIR+CAR+HOTEL) for about $120 single/$200 double, and
about $80 for extra day of HOTEL+CAR. These are only available once you get
in Hawaii, and available through mainland Travel agencies. Travel Partners
(see below) can help you on these.

HAWAIIAN and ALOHA airlines have flights from HONOLULU to WEST MAUI airport.
Since this is a private airport, the last flight leaves HONOLULU about 4:30pm
because of residential restrictions (I assume). You also have to pay
about $100 additional for this portion of your flight (If you fly on
AMERICAN or UNITED, the fare is the same to MAUI International or HONOLULU).

We have established some discounts (5% from discounted and 40% from regular
fares on both UNITED and AMERICAN) through TRAVEL PARTNERS Agency in
Honolulu (Ask for Theo, who knows about our arrangments). Their number is
(808) 735-6422. They also have a toll free number, (800) 933-7677, that you
can use, but I was told that the arrangement for using that phone will be a
bit inconvenient (to both you and them). They can make the flight arrangements
as well as send you your tickets via federal express.

Rental Car:

Also, we have got good rates on HERTZ RENT A CAR from both MAUI airports
(West MAUI may be slightly higher). We expect to get similar rates from AVIS
and BUDGET in the next few days (if you are the member of their clubs). You
just need to mention the conference name when making the reservation. They
prefer 6 weeks advanced reservation, but the rates are available even as late
as when you arrive at the airport. AGAIN, do your booking EARLY since you
may not get the car you want if you wait till the last minute. You can always
make changes later. These rates, which are good from a week prior to until a
week after the conference dates, are as follows:

  CAR                    DAILY                  WEEKLY

Economy                  24.80                   98.80
Compact                  26.80                  108.80
Intermediate             30.80                  138.80
Standard                 34.80                  148.80
Full Size                37.80                  178.80

Sometimes rental car companies in HAWAII run promotional rates. If they
happen to have one at the time of the conference, they will give you the
better of our GROUP RATE or their PROMOTIONAL RATE.
Other cars, such as convertibles or sports cars, are available if you
ask them.

------------------------------

Date: Monday, 4 Mar 1991 16:47:45 EST
From: m20163@mwvm.mitre.org (Nahum Gershon)
Subject: Reply to "Re:  Visualization '91 Meeting Annoncement" (03/04/91 15:57:

[ I asked the relevance of this posting to the Vision List readership.
  The following is the reply and conference posting.		phil...	]

Visualization is different things to different people.  Last year at
Visualization '90 meeting, there were papers on image processing
algorithms (the input could be images and the algorithms could be
histogram equalization and volume rendering), different aspects of the
physiology of visual perception (e.g., color, texture, and shape), and
other issues relevant to computer vision.  Therefore, I feel that a
good number of your subscribers might be interested in attending
Visualization '91 (I am an "image processor" myself).  I would
appreciate receiving your comments on these matters.  * * Nahum

                   CALL FOR PARTICIPATION
                     VISUALIZATION '91

Sponsored by IEEE Computer Society,  Technical Committee on
Computer Graphics

October 22-25, 1991
San Diego, California

This second conference will continue to explore how visualization
is being used to extract knowledge from data.  The conference is
concerned with all aspects of visualization, with a focus on
interdisciplinary techniques.  The conference will allow a
dialogue to occur between the developers of visualization methods
and visualization users across the full spectrum of science,
engineering and business.

PAPER SUBMISSION (due April 15, 1991)

Original papers for the conference proceedings should be limited
to 5000 words.  Where appropriate, the use of video as part of
the paper is strongly encouraged.  Videos should be submitted for
review with papers.  Contact either co-chair for information.
Four copies of each paper (and video) should be submitted to
Gregory Nielson, papers co-chair.

Paper Co-chairs:

Larry Rosenblum
Code 5157
Naval Research Laboratory
Washington DC  20375
(202) 767-2384

Gregory M. Nielson
Computer Science Department
Arizona State University
Rural Road and University
Tempe, AZ  85287-5406
(602) 965-2785

PANEL PROPOSALS (due April 15, 1991)

Proposals for panels are solicited.  These should emphasize the
application of scientific visualization to problems in research,
development, demonstration, or business.  The panels will be
presented in parallel with papers and the case studies during the
conference.  A six page summary or position statements will be
published in the proceedings which will be available at the
conference.

Panels Co-chairs:

R. Daniel Bergeron
Department of Computer Science
University of New Hampshire
Durham, NH  03824
(603) 862-2677

Nahum D. Gershon
The MITRE Corporation
7525 Colshire Drive
McLean, VA 22102-3481
(703) 883-7518

TUTORIAL PROPOSALS (due April 15, 1991)

Proposals for full and 1/2 day tutorials (beginning & advanced)
are solicited.  These will be held on Tuesday of the conference
week.

Tutorial Co-chairs:

Gary Laguna
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
P.O. Box 808, L-125
Livermore, CA 94550
(415)422-5659

Hikmet Senay
Dept. of Electrical Engineering & Computer Science
George Washington University
Washington, DC 20052
(202) 994-5910

INTERDISCIPLINARY CASE STUDIES (due April 15, 1991)

Proposals examining the interdisciplinary nature of
visualization, tools and real time applications are especially
solicited.  These will be presented at the conference and a four
page summary will be published in the proceedings.  The intent
here is to emphasize the interdisciplinary nature of most
applications of visualization.

Case Studies Co-chairs:

Paul Hazan
Applied Physics Laboratory
John Hopkins University
Laurel, MD 20707
(301) 953-5364

Jeffrey Posdamer
AT&T Bell Labs
Room 15E-315
1 Whittany Road
Whittany, NJ 07981-0903
(201) 386-6396

DEMONSTRATIONS (due June 3, 1991)

A portion of the conference will be devoted solely to
demonstrations.  Research organizations and commercial companies
interested in presenting should contact the co-chairs.

Demonstrations Co-chairs:

Jerome Cox
Department of Computer Science
Washington University, Box 1045
St. Louis, MO 63130
(314) 889-6132

Susan Stearman
Digital Equipment Corporation
4 Results Way MRO4-2/H19
Marlboro, MA 01752-3070
(508) 467-3575

WORKSHOPS (due April 15, 1991)

Proposals for 1 or 2 day workshops on specific visualization
methods or the application of visualization to specific problems
areas should be sent to one of the workshop Co-Chairs.  These
workshops should deal with state-of-the-art topics and involve
experts in the field.  If appropriate, the workshops may be
co-sponsored by another professional organization.

Workshops Co-chairs:

Art Olson
Department of Molecular Biology MB5
Research Institute of Scripps Clinic
La Jolla, CA 92037
(619) 554-9702

Lloyd Treinish
IBM T. J. Watson Research Center
P.O. Box 704,  Room SK-Y68
Yorktown Heights, NY 10598
(914) 784-5038

Conference Co-Chairs
     Russell Athay, Biosym
     Bruce Brown, Oracle

Program Co-Chairs
     Georges Grinstein, University of Lowell
     Arie Kaufman, SUNY at Stony Brook

Local Arrangements
     William Feeney,San Diego State University
     Virginia Hetrick, University of California, Los Angeles

Registration
     Carol Hunter, Lawrence Livermore National Lab

Finance
     Don Vickers, Lawrence Livermore National Lab

Publicity
     Michael Danchak, Hartford Graduate Center
     Jeff Beddow, University of Minnesota
     Kay Howell, Naval Research Laboratory

Video
     Eric Grosse, AT&T Bell Labs
     Haim Levkowitz,  University of Lowell

Program Committee:
Mike Bailey, San Diego Supercomputer  Center
H. Harlyn Baker, SRI
Jim O'Brian, Florida State University
Susan Chipman, Office of Naval Research
George Champine, Digital Equipment Corp.
Hank Dardy, Naval Research Laboratory
Rae Earnshaw, University  of Leeds, England
Jose Encarnacao, Technical University  Darmstad, FRG
Jim Foley, Georgia Tech.
Thomas A. Foley, Arizona State University
Henry Fuchs, University of North Carolina
Michel Grave, ONERA, France
Hans Hagen, University Kaiserlautern, FRG
Lambertus Hesselink, Stanford University
William Hibbard, University of Wisconsin
Robert Hopgood, Rutherford Appleton Laboratory England
Dave Kamins, Stardent
Mike Keeler, Kubota
Fred Kitson, Hewlett Packard
Tosiyasu Kunii, University of Tokyo, Japan
Stanislav Klimenko, IHEP USSR
Robert Langridge, University of California at San Francisco
Marc Levoy, Stanford University
Marshall Long, Yale University
Ted Mihalisin, Temple University
Richard L. Phillips, Los Alamos National Lab
Ron Pickett, University of Lowell
Mike  Rhodes, Toshiba America
Phillip Robertson, Centre for Spatial Information Systems,
Australia
Alyn Rockwood, Arizona State University
Azriel Rosenfeld, University of Maryland
David Salzman, consultant
Stuart Smith,  University of Lowell
John Staudhammer,  University of Florida
Ken Stewart, Woods Hole Oceanographic Inst.
Werner Stuetzle, University  of Washington
Gary Watkins, Evans and Sutherland
Steve Watson, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Val Watson, NASA Ames
Allan R. Wilks, AT&T Bell Labs
Peter Wilson, Rensselaer Polytechnic Inst.
James M. Winget, Silicon Graphics

*
*        Nahum

------------------------------

Date: 6 Mar 91 21:20:32 GMT
From: velasco@kenallen.UCSD.EDU (Gabriel Velasco)
Subject: AI genealogy

As part of a graduate AI class, I will be working on a semantic network
type of database to answer qeustions about the genealogy of the AI
family of researchers.  The more family members we have, the better.
We would like for everyone who has written a thesis in the area of AI
to be in the genealogy.

Minsky, McCarthy, Simon, Newell and other participents in the Dartmouth
conference are to be the patriarchs.  Although they obviously decended
from lower order life forms we will not be concerning ourselves with
"missing links."

To begin we would like to have a complete list of all the participants
in the Dartmouth conference.  This doesn't seem to be a trivial task.
We would greatly appreciate any help in compiling this list.  We are
hoping that some of the people reading this group either participated
in the conference or had a thesis advisor or grand-advisor or
great-grand-advisor that they know for sure was at the conference.

We would also like to have lots of people supply us with their
genealogy to help us come up with a complete family tree.  It should be
interesting to find out where all of you are in the tree.  The
professor for this class is only two generations away from Simon
through one of his committee members and he didn't even know it until
he started doing this research.

Please take the time to fill out this form so that we can place you in
the AI family tree.  The end product will be a system called BIBLIO
which will be put into the public domain.  BIBLIO will be a
bibliographic database augmented with "cultural" information.  We
believe that this will help us characterize important intellecutal
developments within AI.  Of course, we will be able to do regular
familty tree type operations with the data such as printing out the
family tree and stuff like that.

Also, if you know some of these facts about your advisor (committee
members), and their advisors, etc., I would appreciate it if you could
send me that information as well. One of our goals is to trace the
genealogy of today's researchers back as far as possible.  If you do
have any of this information, simply duplicate the questionnaire and
fill in a separate copy for each person.

I'm velasco@cs.ucsd.edu

My advisor on this is:
Richard K. Belew
	Asst. Professor
	Computer Science & Engr. Dept. (C-014)
	Univ. Calif. - San Diego
	La Jolla, CA 92093
	619/534-2601
	619/534-5948  (messages)
	rik%cs@ucsd.edu

			  AI Genealogy questionnaire
			Please complete and return to:
			     velasco@cs.ucsd.edu

NAME:

Ph.D. year:

Ph.D. thesis title:

Department:

University:
Univ. location:

Thesis advisor:
Advisor's department:

Committee member:
Member's department:

Committee member:
Member's department:

Committee member:
Member's department:

Committee member:
Member's department:

Committee member:
Member's department:

Committee member:
Member's department:

Research institution:
Inst. location:
Dates:

Research institution:
Inst. location:
Dates:

Research institution:
Inst. location:
Dates:
 <>___,     /             /  | ... and he called out and said, "Gabriel, give |
 /___/ __  / _  __  ' _  /   | this man an understanding of the vision."      |

End of VISION-LIST digest 10.11