Date: Tue, 12 Mar 91 16:25:29 EST
From: Sven Dickinson <sven@alv.umd.edu>
Subject: Motion analysis of meteorological radar data

A friend of mine, who works at the Meterological Office in England,
is pursuing her Ph.D. in the area of motion analysis on a sequence
of radar images. She wishes to obtain a velocity field which can be
used to extrapolate the motion of rainclouds, in order to produce
forecast images of where it is likely to rain in the next few hours.

Each image shows a 'snapshot' of where it is raining over the UK at
that time, and how heavy the rain is. Each pixel is a 5km square
showing the average intensity of the rainfall at that position;
the values of the pixels fall into 7 bins representing different
levels of rainfall. The images are taken at 15 minute intervals.

It is apparent from the images that there is differential movement
across an area. For example, a solid area of rain (associated with
a cold front) can move differently from a more broken area of rain
(scattered convection) in the same image. As you might imagine, the
shapes of the regions can vary drammatically from image to image.
Some rainfall may even remain stationary because it is tied to hills.

She would appreciate any references to work related to this
problem or references to applicable motion analysis techniques,
particularly those which have been tried and tested on radar images.
Correspondence can be sent through me:

Sven Dickinson
Center for Automation Research
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742
sven@alv.umd.edu

or directly to:

Gill Sutton
Room R323
Short Range Forecasting Research Division
Meteorological Office
London Road
Bracknell Berkshire RG12 2SZ
gills@cogs.sussex.ac.uk

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Mar 91 19:00:53 -0600
From: Eliezer Dekel <dekel@utdallas.edu>
Subject: Off-line Signature recognition

I am looking for references to work on off-line signature recognition.
I'm aware of some work that was done before 1985.
I would greatly appreciate information about more recent work.
I'll summerize and post to the list.

Eliezer Dekel
The University of Texas at Dallas
dekel@utdallas.edu

------------------------------

Date: 13 Mar 91 08:36:43 GMT
From: ewa@beowulf.UCSD.EDU (Eric Anderson)
Subject: Looking for animated bitmaps/"digital video" clips

I'm performing some simulations of "multimedia"-oriented applications,
including one with full-motion video-in-a-window.  What I'm looking for
is any short (1-20 seconds) clips of motion video suitable for display
on a bitmap workstation.  The ideal file would be 5-10 seconds of video
at 15-30 frames/second of someone speaking, in a close-up of the face only,
say 256x256 in 256 colors, but anything that will flow smoothly on the
screen is highly desirable.  Graphics are just as useful as digitized video.

Please don't send me such things (you can figure how big they'd be!), just
let me know if/where anything like this is available.  Any image format is
fine, I can convert.  Any content is fine, please don't "disqualify" something
because it's boring, too long, too short, too coarse, etc.  The only important
attribute is that it must be more than a single still image or slideshow of
still images.

I don't follow these newsgroups, so please send mail.  I will send a summary
of the responses, if requested.

Thanks in advance!

Eric Anderson: ewa@cs.ucsd.edu
University of California, San Diego

------------------------------

Date: 13 Mar 91 11:39 +0100
From: Fernando Cano <fer@iai.es>
Subject: test for texture analysis

Hi:
  now we're working in a project to classify defects in skins. We have
developed an environment to test diferent texture analysis methods. Our
texture skin samples are very similar to one another and we don't have yet
sucessful results to search for the best method. We would like to acquire a
standard test set such as the photographic album of Brodatz ( " Textures: a
photographic album for artist and designers, Dover, New York, 1966." ),
but it would be better to get this test by means of e-mail. Should someone
know how to get it, please email it to fer@iai.es.
Thanks in advance.

			Fernando Cano Espinosa
			Instituto de Automatica Industrial
			Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas
			N-III, Km. 22,800
			La Poveda , Arganda del Rey, MADRID 28500
			Tlf: 8711900.		Fax: 8717050

------------------------------

Date: 13 Mar 91 22:02:28 GMT
From: moed@ral.rpi.edu (Michael Moed)
Subject: image processing packages

I am trying to compile a list of off-the-shelf image processing
packages that can run on a Sun/Unix platform with canned
arbitrary format images.  Any suggestions?

Michael C. Moed					moed@ral.rpi.edu
CII 8313, CIRSSE				(518) 276-8782
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Troy, New York   12180-3590

------------------------------

Date: 	Mon, 11 Mar 91 11:42:32 EST
From: zhengyan Wang <s442216@nexus.yorku.ca>
Subject: Where can I get code for Canny's edge detector?

Hi,
	I'd like to know where I can get Canny's edge detection algorithm.
	Thank you!
zhengyan Wang

------------------------------

Date: 	Fri, 8 Mar 1991 13:42:49 -0500
From: CVNET@YORKVM1.ads.com
Subject: CVNet- Postdoc position

POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH FELLOW - VISUAL PSYCHOPHYSICS

Applications are invited for a three year SERC Image
Interpretation Initiative position in the Department of
Psychology at the University of Surrey. The position can start
as soon as mutually agreeable, at the latest on 31 December 1991.

The research will investigate the perception of spatial frequency
filtered random dot textures using psychophysical techniques. The
aims are to compare the channels activated by textures with those
activated by gratings, and to compare random dots as signal with
random dots as masking noise. Methods used will include
presentation of textures and/or gratings superimposed directly
or dichoptically. Study of clinical disorders that affect
channels differentially may also be possible. Stimuli will be
generated on an Apple Macintosh IIfx; experience in programming
the Macintosh in Pascal or C will be an advantage.

Salary will commence at the appropriate point on the Research and
Analogous Scale IA, up to 14744 pounds sterling p.a., depending on age
and experience (1 pound is currently equivalent to 1.9 US dollars).

Applications must be submitted before 12 April 1991 in the form
of a curriculum vitae (3 copies) and the names and addresses of
two referees. Send these, citing reference 292c, to

     The Personnel Office (JLG)
     University of Surrey
     Guildford
     Surrey GU2 5XH
     UK.

Applicants should discuss the post immediately with Dr David
Rose, Department of Psychology, University of Surrey, Guildford,
Surrey GU2 5XH, UK (e-mail psy009@sysh.surrey.ac.uk or phone UK
0483 571281, extension 2441).

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Mar 91 15:00:40 PST
From: schenker@telerobotics.jpl.nasa.gov (Paul Schenker)
Subject: Final Call for Papers: SPIE Advances in Intelligent Robotic Systems

Final Call for Papers:
SPIE Advances in Intelligent Robotic Systems
10-15 November 1991
Boston Marriott Copley Place
Boston, Massachusetts

SENSOR FUSION IV: CONTROL PARADIGMS AND DATA STRUCTURES

Conference Chair: Paul S. Schenker, Jet Propulsion Lab.
PROGRAM COMMITTEE:
Mongi A. Abidi, Univ. of Tennessee/Knoxville
Peter K. Allen, Columbia Univ.
Terrance E. Boult, Columbia Univ.
Su-Shing Chen, Univ. of North Carolina/Charlotte
Gregory D. Hager, Yale Univ.
Terrance L. Huntsberger, Univ. of South Carolina
Daryl T. Lawton, Georgia Institute of Technology
Ren C. Luo, North Carolina State Univ.
Gerard T. McKee, Univ. of Reading (UK)
David P. Miller, Jet Propulsion Lab.
Hal A. Sedgwick, State Univ. of New York
Michael Seibert, MIT/Lincoln Lab.
Charles V. Stewart, Rennselaer Polytechnic Institute
Stelios C. A. Thomopoulos, Pennsylvania State Univ.
Yuan-Fang Wang, Univ. of California/Santa Barbara

ADVISORY COMMITTEE: John Aloimonos, Univ. of Maryland; Ruzena R. Bajcsy,
Univ. of Pennsylvania; Dana H. Ballard, Univ. of Rochester; Ralph N. Haber,
Univ. of Illinois/Chicago; Avinash C. Kak, Purdue Univ.; Harry E. Stephanou,
Rennselaer Polytechnic Institute; Mohan M. Trivedi, Univ. of Tennessee/
Knoxville; Roger Y. Tsai, IBM/Thomas J. Watson Research Ctr.

This yearly conference addresses multisensing strategies for human and
machine perception-and-action. Applications areas include robotic assembly
and servicing, path planning and navigation, terrain mapping and resource
analysis, medical imaging and data visualization, and modeling of human
sensory-motor performance. Typically, data is acquired over multiple views,
successive time intervals, different spectral bands, and distinct sensor
modalities. Sensors include visual, tactile, acoustic, thermal, laser,
radar, and other detection schemes.

   Each year, the conference has emphasized a particular theme, while
encouraging submissions in all relevant technical areas. This year's
special theme is control paradigms: e.g., centralized versus decentralized
control, distributed detection strategies, hierarchical and game-theoretic
decision models, data versus task-driven approaches, AI-oriented data
structures (blackboards, constraint networks, etc.), neuromorphic/PDP
architectures, and others. We encourage papers that illustrate this
theme through theoretical analysis, simulation, experiments, and working
applications.  Diverse viewpoints are welcome -- prior conference
participants include workers from engineering, computer science,
perceptual psychology, theoretical and experimental biology, and
computational neural systems.

   Papers are invited addressing the interdisciplinary area of sensor fusion
and applications; topics of general interest include, but are not limited
to:
o	modeling, placement,and calibration of multiple sensors
o	active vision and task-driven sensing
o	shape and motion recovery
o	integration of visual and tactile shape percepts
o	complex object modeling and 3-D segmentation strategies
o	shape discrimination and recognition
o	model complexity and approximation error
o	concurrent computation and parallel architectures
o	robot control referenced to multi-sensor inputs
o	interaction of manual and computer control

Abstract Due Date:	APRIL 1, 1990
Manuscript Due Date: 	October 14, 1990

Format:
- title
- authors' full names, company names
- complete authors' addresses, also phone and FAX numbers
- 200 words text(approx.)
- 50-100 word principal author biography

Submit four copies to:
SPIE: Robotics '91/ Sensor Fusion IV
P.O. Box 10
Bellingham, WA 98227-0010
	(TeleFAX: 206/647-1445)

OR, E-MAIL TO:   schenker@telerobotics.jpl.nasa.gov

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 91 12:54:57 EST
From: len@retina.mqcs.mq.oz.au (Len Hamey)
Subject: TR available: Object Recognition, A Survey of the Literature

        Object Recognition, A Survey of the Literature
          Chris G Perrott and Leonard G C Hamey

          Macquarie Computing Reports  91-0065C.

                        Abstract

This paper surveys the techniques which have been applied to the problem of
recognising three-dimensional objects in two-dimensional images.  Human vision
was discussed in the works of the ancient Greek philosophers, and has also been
of interest to modern philosophers.  The Gestalt school of psychology in the
early part of the twentieth century provided a number of useful insights into
human perception.
  Computer vision research effectively started with the pioneering work of
Roberts, who built a program capable of recognising simple objects in a blocks
world.  The blocks world paradigm provides a simplified model in which new
approaches can be tested, and has been adopted from time to time by a number
of researchers.
  The dominant paradigm in modern computer vision research is that
pioneered by Marr, and known as inverse optics or the Marr paradigm.  In this
approach, edges, surfaces and depth cues are identified before object
recognition is attempted.  Central problems in much of this work are edge
detection and region segmentation, which have proved to be more difficult
than was anticipated by early researchers.  The results achieved up till
now suggest that it may not be possible to perform a perfect segmentation of
the image before proceeding to higher level processing.
  Recently some researchers have investigated the use of cues from
perceptual organisation in order to perform object recognition without
using complete depth information.  The perceptual organisation approach
promises to reduce the amount of computation that has to be performed.
This would be highly desirable since it is widely believed that a practical
computer vision system for processing natural scenes would require many
Gflops of processing power.

To request a copy of this technical report, please send e-mail containing
your name and physical mail address to     len@retina.mqcs.mq.oz.au.
Please include "TR request" in the subject line.

End of VISION-LIST digest 10.12