Date: Wed 27 Mar 91 15:46:00-PST
From: Marsha Jo Hannah <HANNAH@ai.sri.com>
Subject: Re: stereo ground truth

> Derek Tolley (tolley@eola.cs.ucf.edu) writes:
> 	We are interested in finding disparity maps with ground truth
> for some stereo pairs. We are trying to compare the accuracy of some
> stereo algorithms, and would like to have a verified disparity map to
> compare with the results. If anyone has the sites where these pairs
> and their disparity maps can be found or other information, please
> email me.  Thank you.

GOOD LUCK!!!!  If you find any, let me know, as I've been looking for
such data for YEARS!  A couple of years ago, I participated in a Test
on Image Matching run by a Working Group of the International Society
for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing.  They sent a set of 12 image
pairs to computational stereo and digital photogrammetry researchers
around the world, then evaluated the results that they got back.  How
did they evaluate them?  By sitting a trained photogrammetrist down at
a stereoscope, and having him look at them.  I asked the organizer of
the test for a digital version of the photogrammetrist's "ground
truth", but apparently, it wasn't saved.  Such is the state of the art!

There are a number of data sets around for which there are other
stereo algorithms' results available, and some aerial imagery comes
with DTMs (some manually derived, some semi-automatically), but there
always seems to be one little piece of information missing, which
prevents others from using the results for comparison.  I keep telling
funding agencies that we need them to furnish ground truth, but so
far, nothing has been forthcoming.

Marsha Jo Hannah  (hannah@ai.sri.com)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Mar 91 9:03 BST
From: TKLGOH <UMEMB57@vaxa.cc.imperial.ac.uk>
Subject: Shape-From-Shading Synthetic Model

Hi,
	I am currently working on a shape-from-shading technique that would
require a shading model (synthetic) to test the algorithm. This model
shud be able to generate the usual shapes like spheres, planes n
cylinders.
	Really appreciate if someone has this model or cud refer me to
another person. I am using 'C' language implemented on a microVax v4.7.

	Thanks!
Pls email me at umemb57@uk.ac.ic.cc.vaxa
TKL

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Mar 91 17:32:31 +0200
From: Giorgos Bebis <bebis@csi.forth.gr>
Subject: Re: Information needed on computer vision research on reading lips

In comp.ai.vision you write:
>I'm looking for information regarding computer vision research
>in reading lips.  This would include both current work and any articles
>that have been published on the subject.  Any other help would also
>be appreciated.
>Glenn Martin
>University of Central Florida
>martin@eola.cs.ucf.edu

There is a Neural Network approach on the problem you interested :

B. Yuhas, M. Goldstein and T. Sejnowski "Integration of Acoustic and
Visual Speech Signals Using Neural Networks", IEEE Communications Magazine,
November 1989.

Hope this help ...

George Bebis
Dept. of Computer Science,
University of Crete, Iraklion, Crete, GREECE.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1991 17:22:29 GMT
From: kamadoss@clutx.clarkson.edu (Shyam S. Kamadolli)
Subject: Looking for a database for handwriting recog.!

We are developing a neural network for handwritten character
recognition and we need a database to train and test our network.
Before spending many hours developing our own, does anybody have
or know of one we could copy?

Please e-mail all replies to :
shyam@sun.soe.clarkson.edu

Thanx in advance.

Shyam Kamadolli;
Dept. of Electrical Engg.,Clarkson Univ.,Potsdam,NY13676.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 25 Mar 91 13:47:53 EST
From: perry@dewey.CSS.GOV (John Perry)
Subject: Image Compression algorithms

I am interested in obtaining algorithm description and source code (if
available) for compressing imagery.  I am most interested in X-ray
images.  I have 8-bit data.  Also, what standards exist, if any ?
Does hardware exist for this purpose, and on what platforms, Sun's,
Mac's, etc. ?

Any information regarding this topic would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

------------------------------

Date: 27 Mar 91 22:08:36 GMT
From: sechang@corp.sun.com (SeChang Oh - Sun Intercon Eng)
Subject: Geomed

Is anyone familar with program call 'Geomed'
which is Geometric Modelling for Computer Vision ??

I think this is an old software.  I would like to receive
a copy of the source if possible.

Please respond to me at 'sechang@corp.sun.com'
I don't read this mail group.

thank you,
sechang

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Mar 91 16:05:42 MET DST
From: bellutta@irst.it (Paolo Bellutta)
Subject: PD medical imaging SW

A friend of mine asked me if there is Public Domain SoftWare for
cardio-echographic image processing.  Does anyone have references to where
to look?  Some reference to non-public domain SW is welcome too, as well as
few words on pros and cons.

Paolo Bellutta
I.R.S.T.		vox:	+39 461 814417
loc. Pante' di Povo	fax:	+39 461 810851
38050 POVO (TN)		e-mail:	bellutta@irst.it
ITALY				bellutta%irst@uunet.uu.net

------------------------------

Date: 29 Mar 91 12:11 -0800
From: fred chin <chin@cs.sfu.ca>
Subject: Need right-angle trinocular images.

    I am doing a research on trinocular vision. since I can't get good
right-angle trinocular images from our lab, would someone kindly tell
me where I can FTP them or send some to me? I would prefer IFF,
Sun-Raster, or CXAP formatted images. Thanks in advance!

Fred           chin@fornax.UUCP
               chin@cs.sfu.ca

------------------------------

Date: 27 Mar 91 15:34:38 GMT
From: ashwin@gatech.edu (Ashwin Ram)
Subject: CFP: APPLIED INTELLIGENCE

                       ***  CALL FOR PAPERS  ***

                         APPLIED INTELLIGENCE:
         The  International Journal of Artificial Intelligence,
       Neural Networks, and Complex Problem-Solving Technologies

EDITOR IN CHIEF
    Dr. Moonis Ali
    Professor of Computer Science
    The University of Tennessee Space Institute
    Tullahoma, TN  37388

EDITORIAL BOARD
    T.R. Addis, University of Reading
    Luigia C. Aiello, Univ. degli S. diRoma
    Jan Aikins, Aion Corp.
    Shun-ichi Amari, Univ. of Tokyo
    J.H. Andreae, Univ of Canterbury
    Yuichiro Anzai, Keio Univ.
    James C. Bezdek, Univ. of West Florida
    W. Bibel, Technische Hochschule
    Leonard Bolc, Polish Acad. of Science
    Ivan Bratko, Josef Stefan Inst.
    Paul Chung, Univ. of Edinburgh
    Greg Clemenson, Intell. Corp.
    Michael A. Cohen, Boston University
    A. Costes, Centre Nat. Rsch. Sci
    John Doyle, MIT
    Michael G. Dyer, UCLA
    Mark S. Fox, Carnegie Mellon Univ.
    Ing. E. Freund, University Dortmund
    K. Fukushima, Osaka University
    Michael Georgeff, AAII
    Stephen Grossberg, Boston University
    K.H. Hanne, Fraunhofer Institute
    H.W. Hein, Univ. of Dortmund
    Anil K. Jain, Michigan State University
    Wiktor Assem, Polish Academy of Science
    L. Johnson, Burnel University
    Arvind Oshi, University of Pennsylvania
    Richard E. Korf, UCLA
    Michael Magee, University of Wyoming
    M. Matthews, University of S. Carolina
    John McDermott, Digital Equipment Corp.
    R. Michalski, George Mason University
    Sanjay Mittal, Xerox Corp.
    John Mylopoulos, University of Toronto
    Arnold Norman, Rockwell International
    Gordon S. Novak, UT, Austin
    Setsuo Ohsuga, University of Tokyo
    Judea Pearl, UCLA
    Fernando Pineda, Jet Propulsion Laboratories
    Ivan Plander, Slovak Academy of Science
    J. Polak, Czech University of Tech.
    R. Popplestone, University of Mass
    Dmirtri Pospelov, USSR Academy of Science
    Ashwin Ram, Georgia Institute of Technology
    Elaine Rich, MCC, Austin
    Paul Rosenbloom, USC
    Azriel Rosenfeld, University of Maryland
    David Rumelhart, Stanford University
    Erik Sandewall, Linkiping University
    W. Schonfeld, IBM Deutschland
    Mildred Shaw, University of Calgary
    Howie Shrobe, Symbolics Inc.
    R.L. Simpson, Jr., Dept. of Defense
    J.S. Sridharan, F.M.C. Copr.
    Peter H. Sydenham, SAIT
    Harold Szu, Naval Research Lab.
    Harold Thimbleby, University of Stirling
    M. Vukobratovic, Mihajlo Pupin Institute
    W. Wahlster, Univ. des Saarlandes
    S. Watanabe, Toshiba Corp.
    C.R. Weisbin, Jet Propulsion Lab.
    Sholom M. Weiss, Rutgers University
    Bernard Widrow, Stanford University
    Ian H. Witten, University of Calgary
    Masoud Yazdani, University of Exeter
    Lotfi Zadeh, UC, Berkeley
    Jin-Wen Zhang, ISAS

AIMS & SCOPE
    The objective of this journal is to provide a medium for  exchanging
    scientific  research  and technological achievements accomplished by
    the  international  community.  The focus for the reported work will
    be on research in artificial intelligence and neural networks.   The
    journal   will  address  issues  involving  solutions  of  real-life
    manufacturing,  defense,  management,  government   and   industrial
    problems which are too complex to  be  solved  through  conventional
    approaches  and  which require the simulation of intelligent thought
    processes, heuristics, application of knowledge, and distributed and
    parallel processing.  The integration of these  multiple  approaches
    in  solving  complex problems will be of particular importance.  The
    emphasis  of  the reported work will be on new and original research
    and technological developments rather than on reports concerning the
    applications of existing  technology  to  different  sets  of  data.
    Earlier  work  reported  in  these  fields  has  been   limited   in
    application  and  has  solved  simplified, structured problems which
    rarely  occur  in  real-life   situations.    Only   recently   have
    researchers  in the field started addressing real and complex issues
    applicable  to  difficult  problems.   This  journal  welcomes these
    developments  and  seeks  to  be  a  catalyst  in  disseminating the
    original   research   and   technological   achievements   of    the
    international community in these areas.  Topics of interest  include
    but are not limited to:

        Knowledge-Based Expert Systems    Knowledge Representation
        Knowledge Acquisition             Machine Learning
        Natural Language Processing       Qualitative & Temporal Reasoning
        Uncertainty Management            Qualitative Models
        Intelligent Database Systems      Pattern Recognition
        Vision                            Speech Recognition & Synthesis
        Intelligent Interfaces            Knowledge-Based Methodologies
        Autonomous Systems                Real-time Systems
        Intelligent Manufacturing         Sensor Fusion
        Planning & Scheduling             Monitoring & Prediction
        Analysis & Prediction             Decision Making
        Classification & Recognition      Modeling & Design
        Feature Extraction                Robotics &Controls
        Automatic Tracking                System Dependability
        Neural Net Architectures          Neurological Connections
        Optical Neurocomputers            Electrical Neurocomputers
        Associative Memory                Learning Methodologies
        Self Organization                 Network Dynamics
        Adaptive Resonance                Combinational Optimization
        Distributed & Parallel Processing  Neural Simulation & Modeling
        Cooperative & Competitive Processing

FOR SUBSCRIPTION INFORMATION AND INSTRUCTIONS FOR AUTHORS, CONTACT:

        Karen S. Cullen
        Kluwer Academic Publishers
        101 Philip Drive
        Norwell, MA 02061