[comp.ai.vision] VISION-LIST digest 10.21

Vision-List-Request@ADS.COM (Vision-List moderator Phil Kahn) (05/10/91)

VISION-LIST Digest    Thu May 09 14:41:01 PDT 91     Volume 10 : Issue 21

 - Send submissions to Vision-List@ADS.COM
 - Send requests for list membership to Vision-List-Request@ADS.COM
 - Access Vision List Archives via anonymous ftp to ADS.COM

Today's Topics:

 Range image archive status
 Share a room during "Geometric Methods in Computer Vision of SPIE"
 pgmtxtur - statistical approach to texture
 Re: matching sets of points in 2 space
 Hough transform code
 Looking for implemented chainning algorithms in C
 Edge tracer
 literature search
 Stereo vision and sensor fusion
 Performance Evaluation (long)
 IJCAI-91 Programme Schedule (long)

Date: Sun, 5 May 91 12:51:52 EST
From: Patrick J. Flynn <flynn@shillelagh.cse.nd.edu>
Subject: Range image archive status

The range image archive on shillelagh.cse.nd.edu (129.74.9.7) will be
removed and anonymous ftp disabled on or before May 30, 1991.  When I
get settled in at Washington State University, I'll re-install the
archive on a machine there.  This might take a few months, so anyone
interested in retrieving the images before the end of the summer
should do it now.  Please restrict anonymous ftp traffic to
non-business hours.

I have logged several hundred ftp sessions since I made the archive available
last year, and I hope people are finding the data useful.  As always,
e-mailed questions and suggestions regarding the archive are welcome.

Patrick J. Flynn
Now: Dept. of Comp. Sci. & Engineering, Univ. of Notre Dame (flynn@cse.nd.edu)
Soon: School of EE & CS, Washington State University  (flynn@eecs.wsu.edu)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 7 May 91 17:02:04 EDT
From: gong@division.cs.columbia.edu (Yitao Gong)
Subject: share a room during "Geometric Methods in Computer Vision of SPIE"

Hi,
I am a PhD student of Computer Science of Columbia. I'd like to share a room
with someone during "Geometric Methods in Computer Vision of SPIE", July 21-26
in San Diego. If interested, send email to: gong@cs.columbia.edu
Yitao

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Apr 91 20:35:11 CDT
From: jdm5548@diamond.tamu.edu (James Darrell McCauley)
Subject: pgmtxtur - statistical approach to texture

I've posted source to the USENET newsgroup alt.sources that calculates
textural features using the statistical approach.  You must have
PBMPLUS to compile. If you don't get that newsgroup or don't have a
news feed and you would like to receive these, send me e-mail and
I'll send you a copy.

Thanks to those who tried to find texture images with ground truth.
I finally calculated everything by hand for a small image to do my
debugging.

James Darrell McCauley, Grad Res Asst, Spatial Analysis Lab
Dept of Ag Engr, Texas A&M Univ, College Station, TX 77843-2117, USA
(jdm5548@diamond.tamu.edu, jdm5548@tamagen.bitnet)

------------------------------

Date: 3 May 91 00:26:46 GMT
From: tmb@ai.mit.edu (Thomas M. Breuel)
Subject: Re: matching sets of points in 2 space

>		Point Set Matching
>		------------------
>		(Barrodale Computing Services Ltd, May 1991).
>
>  Problem Definition:
>    We are given two sets of points in the plane. These points could represent
>    two `simplified' images or output from some sensors. The first set
>    contains M points. The second set is similar to the first set, except
>    that some of the points from the first set are missing and some new
>    points, not in the first set, are present. The second set contains N
>    points. The positions of the points in the second set are, within a
>    given tolerance, the same as common points in the first set. However,
>    within this tolerance fairly large local distortions can occur.
>
>    The problem has three parts:
>      1. Find all the points in the first set which do not have a match in
>      the second set.
>      2. Find all points in the second set which do not have a match in
>      the first set.
>      3. For all points in the first set which have a common point in the
>      second set find the correct match.
>  Questions:
>    We are interested in hearing from anyone who has worked on the above
>    problem or has worked on related problems. We are also interested in
>    looking at the possibility of using artificial intelligence
>    techniques, like neural networks, for solving the problem.

[since this question seems to come up from time-to-time, I'm posting
this response]

The following papers will give you a good start at the literature
(Eric Grimson's book has an extensive bibliography of the pre-1990
work on the subject; you should look there for other references):

   Alt H., Mehlhorn K., Wagener H., Welzl E., 1988, Congruence,
   Similarity, and Symmetries of Geometric Objects., Discrete and
   Computational Geometry.

   Baird H. S., 1985, Model-Based Image Matching Using Location, MIT
   Press, Cambridge, MA.

   Breuel T. M., 1991, An Efficient Correspondence Based Algorithm for 2D
   and 3D Model Based Recognition, In Proceedings IEEE Conf. on Computer
   Vision and Pattern Recognition.

   Cass T. A., 1990, Feature Matching for Object Localization in the
   Presence of Uncertainty, In Proceedings of the International
   Conference on Computer Vision, Osaka, Japan, IEEE, Washington, DC.

   Grimson E., 1990, Object Recognition by Computer, MIT Press,
   Cambridge, MA.

State-of-the-art algorithms running on a SparcStation can find optimal
solutions (either maximal size of match at given error or minimum
error at given size of match) to this kind of bounded error
recognition problem on the average in under a minute, for models
consisting of hundreds points of and images consisting of 1000-2000
unlabeled, oriented features.

------------------------------

Date: 	Sun, 5 May 91 14:21:30 EDT
From: Zhengbin Wang <math4811@nexus.yorku.ca>
Subject: Hough transform code

Does anyone has the Hough transform code for me to share?
Thanks in advance.

Richard

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 07 May 91 00:59:00 +0100
From: A.Etemadi@ee.surrey.ac.uk
Subject: Looking for implemented chainning algorithms in C

G'day,
I am looking for any C programs for chainning edge data. I
would be most grateful if anyone could send me either programs,
or a pointer as to where to get them. I would implement the
ones mentioned in Rosenfeld & Kak, 1982, Chapter 10.3 and
Ballard & Brown, 1982, Chapters 4 & 8, but I'm tired of
reinventing the wheel.

Thanks in advance

Dr. A. Etemadi,                           | Phone: (0483) 571-281 Ext. 2311
V.S.S.P. Group,                           | Fax  : (0483) 300-803
Dept. of Electronic and Electrical Eng.,  | Email:
University of Surrey,                     |   Janet: a.etemadi@ee.surrey.ac.uk
Guildford,                                |          ata@c.mssl.ucl.ac.uk
Surrey GU2 5XH                            |   SPAN : ata@mssl
United Kingdom                            |          ata@msslc

------------------------------

Date: 1 May 91 19:57:01 GMT
From: bedros@agnes.cs.umn.edu
Subject: Edge tracer

  I am working on postprocessing a low bitrate coded image, thus
trying to enhance the edges in the image.  I am looking for some
references on edge tracing for an edge detected image.  Also, any code
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Saad J Bedros
please reply to bedros@ee.umn.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 May 91 17:16:31 +0100
From: sjd@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Molly)
Subject: literature search

I am looking for a referance entitled :
INTEGRATING VISION MODULES WITH COUPLED MRF'S by T.POGGIO .

TECHNICAL REPORT WORKING PAPER 285, ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
LABORATORY, MASSACHUSETTS INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY, 1985.

Can anybody help me aquire this paper by sending me the address of the author
or literature in which i might find it.

My e-mail address is    sjd@uk.ac.cf.cm

Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 91 06:03:39 PDT
From: 30-Apr-1991 1502 <pau@yippee.enet.dec.com>
Subject: Stereo vision and sensor fusion

Further to the request for information on stereo vision,but with a
slant towards sensor diversity and multi-sensor inputs,many knowledge
representation architectures and fusion algorithms are given in :
L.F.Pau,Sensor and data fusion,Academic Press,NY,1991

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 May 91 13:03:01 PDT
From: tapas@george.ee.washington.edu
Subject: Performance Evaluation (long)

I have appended all the responses I received for a request I had sent
out sometime back. The request was for papers on "Performance
Evaluation" in the context of image processing/vision algorithms.
Also, I have appended a list of papers we came across and the abstract
of our paper on performance evaluation of algorithms which can be
posed as performing a detection task.

Thanks to every one who responded and a million apologies for
the delay on my part in submitting the responses to the list.

Also, if you have come across anymore references in the meantime,
I will appreciate it if you could post them to the list.
Thanks in advance.

Tapas Kanungo
tapas@george.ee.washington.edu
Intelligent Systems Laboratory
Department of Electrical Engineering, FT-10
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195
================================
Note:
1)    The paper by Raudys and Jain has many references which you might want
      to look at.
2)    The January issue of CVGIP:Image Understanding has few papers that
      discuss the need for performance evaluation.
3)    Our paper, Kanungo, Jasimha, Haralick, Palmer, talks about how to
      characterize the performance of ANY system that does a detection task.
      That is, input to the system is an image with or without a target and
      the output of the system is just a YES or NO.

================================
ingemar@robata.nec.com

Tapas,
      I recently submitted a paper entitled ``Optimum and Practical
Filters for edge Detection'' to IEEE PAMI.  This paper derives
optimum filters and then presents a methodology for quantitatively comparing
practical filters with the optimum ones.  I'd be happy to send you a copy
if you let me know your mailing address.
        Ingemar J. Cox,NEC Research Institute, 4 Independence Way, Princeton,
        NJ 08540
phone:  609 951 2722
  fax:  609 951 2482
email:  ingemar@research.nec.com (Inet)
 uucp:  princeton!nec!ingemar
Note email will change to ingemar@research.nj.nec.com soon

==================================
munnari!wacsvax.cs.uwa.oz.au!wang@uunet.UU.NET

"A Survey of Thresholding Techniques", published in CVGIP 41, 1988, to
you. He used some measures for evaluating different thresholding
methods which you may be interested in, and have learned as well.

C.Y. Wang

===================
ace@ecn.purdue.edu

I saw your note on the net. We did some evalaution of edge operators.
You may want to look at:
1) Delp and Chu, "Detecting Edge Segments", IEEE Trans. Systems, Man,
and Cybernetics, Jan. 1985, pp. 144-152.
2)Eichel and Delp, "Quantitative Analysis of a Moment Based Edge
Operator", IEEE Trans. Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Jan. 1990, pp.59-66.

We also did some evaluation in:
Tan, Gelfannd, and Delp, "A Comparative Cost Function Approach to Edge
Detection", IEEE Trans. Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Dec. 1989, pp. 1337-1349

Prof. E.J. Delp, Purdue University, School of Electrical Engineering

===========================
pkahn@ads.com

Please take a look at a paper by Kahn, Kitchen, & Riseman, to appear in
this Nov's PAMI entitled "A Fast Line Finder for Vision-Guided Robot
Navigation."  It discusses performance design for fast low-level vision
computations.

 ...note Kitchen and Malin's paper in the bibliobgraphy of this paper:
they do some very good performance assessments there.

Please note there is the issue of performance from the standpoint of
"how well does x perform at doing y?" and there is performance from
the standpoint of complexity of computation. Our paper primarily
addresses complexity of computation and executional performance.

You might also want to look at "The Complexity of Perceptual Search
Tasks," J.K. Tsotsos, IJCAI89, pp. 1571-1577.

regards,
phil...

===========================
vistnes@prl.dec.com

See
	"Texture models and image measures for texture discrimination,"
	IJCV 3(4), 1989, 311-336.
in which I discuss a method for evaluating texture discrimination algorithms.

Richard Vistnes

========================
laine@wave.cis.ufl.edu

I response to your request, may I suggest a paper on the
performance of stereo matching algorithms executing on the
gerneral class of SIMD machines.

Laine, Andrew F., "A Parrallel Algorithm for Incremental Stereo
Matching on SIMD Machines".
To appear IEEE Transactions on Robotics and Automation, 1990.
I will gladly provide preprints upon request.

The section on Performance Evaluation, contains a general formulation
and methodology for the performance evaluation of stereo matching
algorithms over the class of SIMD machines.  I believe the methodogy
may be appealing to reformulate other computer vision alogithms as
well.

** An abridged version of this paper was
presented at the IEEE 10th International Conference on Pattern
Recognition, Atlantic City, NJ, June 16-21, 1990.

=================
Following papers are also into performance evaluationi:

@article{ DeF:eval,
author = "Deutsch, E. S. and J. R. Fram",
title = "A quantitative study of the
         Orientational Bias of some Edge Detector Schemes",
journal = "IEEE Transactions on Computers",
month = "March",
year = 1978}

@article{FrD:human,
author = "Fram, J.R. and E.S. Deutsch",
title = "On the quantitative evaluation of edge detection schemes and
         their comparisions with human performance",
journal = "IEEE Transaction on Computers",
volume = "C-24",
number = "6",
pages = "616-627"
year = 1975}

@article{AbP:eval,
author = "Abdou, I.E. and W. K. Pratt",
title = "Qualitative design and evaluation of enhancement/thresholding
          edge detector",
journal = "Proc. IEEE",
volume = "67",
number = "5",
pages = "753-763",
year = 1979}

@article{PeM:eval,
author = "Peli, T. and D. Malah",
title = "A study of edge detection algorithms",
journal = "Computer Graphics and Image Processing",
volume = "20",
pages ="1-21",
year = 1982}

@article{KiR:eval,
author = "Kitchen, L. and A. Rosenfeld",
title = "Edge Evaluation using local edge coherence",
journal = "IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics",
volume = "SMC-11",
number = "9",
pages = "597-605",
year = 1981}

@article{HaL:eval,
author = "Haralick, R.M. and J. S. J. Lee",
title = "Context dependent edge detection and evaluation",
journal = "Pattern Recognition",
volume = "23",
number = "1/2",
pages = "1-19",
year = 1990}

@article{Har:performance,
author = "Haralick, R.M.",
title = "Performance assessment of near perfect machines",
journal = "Machine Vision and Applications",
volume = "2",
number = "1",
pages = "1-16",
year = 1989}

@inproceedings{KJHP:performance,
author = "Kanungo, T. and M.Y. Jaisimha and R.M. Haralick and J. Palmer",
booktitle = "Proc. SPIE vol. 1385 Optics, Illumination, and Image Sensing
	     for Machine Vision V",
pages = "104-112",
month = "November",
year = 1990}

@article{HNR:hough,
author = "Hunt, D.J. and L.W. Nolte and A.R. Reibman and W.H. Ruedger",
title = "Hough Transform and Signal Detection Theory Performance for Images
	 with Additive Noise",
journal = cvgip,
volume = 52,
pages = "386-401",
year = 1990}

@article{RJ:smallsample,
author = " Raudys, J.S. and A.K. Jain",
title = "Small Sample Size Effects in Statistical Pattern Recognition:
	  Recommendations for Practitioners",
journal = pami,
volume = 13,
number = 3,
pages = "252-263",
year = 1990}

===================

Abstract of our paper follows:

 \title{An Experimental Methodology for Performance Characterization of a Line
 	Detection Algorithm }
 %
 \author{\dag T. Kanungo, \dag M. Y. Jaisimha, \dag R. M. Haralick and
 \ddag J. Palmer \\
      \\
 \dag Department of Electrical Engineering, FT-10 \\
 \ddag Department of Psychology, NI-25 \\
 University of Washington \\
 Seattle WA 98195 \\
 U.S.A.}
 %
 \date{ \today \\
 \presenttime }

 \maketitle
 \begin{abstract}
 With the burgeoning of computer vision algorithms, it has
 become increasingly necessary to characterize and evaluate
 their performance in a quantitative fashion.  In the vast
 majority of the existing literature, the assessment of an
 algorithm is usually done by analyzing its results on just
 two to three images. There is no mention of the population of
 images the algorithm is supposed to work on. No effort is made
 to address the concerns of whether or not  the sample set used
 is representative of the  population. In addition, the analysis
 of the accuracy and  level of confidence in the results
 is often not specified.

 In this paper, we present a methodology for designing experiments
 to characterize low level computer vision algorithms which
 addresses these issues.  The methodology is illustrated by
 applying it to the specific case where a line detection algorithm
 is used to detect the presence or absence of a vertical
 edge in the presence of a masking grating. The line detection
 algorithm consists of edge detection using the second directional
 derivative edge detector followed by a mapping to Hough space.
 The performance of the algorithm is studied with respect to
 the edge contrast, the image noise, orientation, and
 phase. The eventual objective of the experiment is to study
 the orientation sensitivity of the line detection algorithm.

 A set of experiments were performed to obtain the operating curves
 relating  the probability of misdetection and the probability of
 false alarm of the algorithm.  The contrast threshold which is the
 measure of the sensitivity a representative  set of the control
 parameter values.  Thresholds representing meaningful measures
 of the performance levels are then extracted from the operating
 curves. These thresholds are statistically consolidated to get a
 combined performance versus grating orientation  curve, and a
 measure of the overall  performance level.

 The line detection algorithm is thus characterized by the
 operating curves, the combined performance curve and
 the overall performance level.  The results also show
 that the performance of the line detection algorithm is not
 affected by the orientation of the masking grating.

 \end{abstract}

------------------------------

Date: 	Thu, 9 May 1991 10:44:51 -0400
From: Kimberlee Pietrzak-Smith <kim@cs.toronto.edu>
Subject: IJCAI-91 Programme Schedule

***INTERNATIONAL JOINT CONFERENCE ON ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE, 1991***
IJCAI-91 Programme Schedule
Monday, August 26, 1991

9-10am:  Invited Speaker 1 - Ross Quinlan
10-10:30am:  Coffee
10:30-12:30pm:

ML: Explanation Based Learning

Christer Samuelsson
Quantitative Evaluation of Explanation-Based Learning as an Optimization Tool
for a Large-Scale Natural Language System

Prasad Tadepalli
A Formalization of Explanation-Based Macro-Operator Learning

Masayuki Yamamura
An Augmented EBL and its Application to Utility Problem

Jungsoon Yoo
Concept Formation over Explanations and Problem-Solving Experience

NL: NL Processing

Dan Moldovan
High Performance Natural Language Processing on Semantic Network Array
Processor

Hiroaki Kitano
Massively Parallel Memory-Based Parsing

Esther Konig
Using Parallel Processing for Semantic Analysis

Karl Gregor Erbach
An environment for experimentation with parsing strategies

KR: Nonmonotonic Reasoning - Modal Logics

Vladimir Lifschitz
Nonmonotonic Databases and Epistemic Queries:  Preliminary Report

Nicholas Asher
Commonsense Entailment: A Modal Theory of Nonmonotonic Reasoning

Mirek Truszczynski
Modal Interpretations of Default Logic

Ilkka Niemela
Constructive Tightly Grounded Autoepistemic Reasoning

AR: Theorem Proving I

Michael Fisher
Yet Another Resolution Method for Temporal Logic

Thomas Guckenbiehl
Formalizing and Using Persistency

Fausto Giunchiglia
Reflective reasoning with and between a declarative metatheory and the
implementation code

Nachum Dershowitz
Ordering-Based Strategies for Horn Clauses

Arch: Knowledge Base Management

G. Ravi Prakash
A Methodology for Systematic Verification of OPS5-based AI Applications

Loren Terveen
Intelligent Assistance through Collaborative Manipulation

Keith Decker
Effects of Parallelism on Blackboard System Scheduling

Rick Evertsz
The Automated Analysis of Rule-based Systems, Based on their Procedural
Semantics

12:30-2pm:  Lunch

2-3:30pm:

Panel 1:  AI in Telecommunications

ML: Classifiers/Genetic Algorithms

Wray Buntine
Classifiers: A Theoretical and Empirical Study

James Kelly
A Hybrid Genetic Algorithm for Classification

Kenneth A. De Jong
Learning Concept Classification Rules Using Genetic Algorithms

KR: Belief

Sukhamay Kundu
A New Logic of Beliefs: Monotonic Beliefs and Nonmonotonic Beliefs - Part 1

Gerhard Lakemeyer
A Model of Decidable Introspective Reasoning with Qualitifying-In

Anand S. Rao
Asymmetry Thesis and Side-effect Problems in Linear Time and Branching Time
Intention Logics

LP: Logic Programming I

Sieger van Denneheuvel
Weak equivalence for constraint sets

Chilukuri K. Mohan
Fitting Semantics for Conditional Term Rewriting

Luis Moniz Pereira
A Derivation Procedure for Extended Stable Models (Draft)

Phil: Philosophical Foundations I

Francis Jeffry Pelletier
The Philosophy of Automated Theorem Proving

Raymond Earl Jennings
Generalised Inference and Inferential Modelling

John Slaney
The Implications of Paraconsistency

3:30-4pm:  Coffee

4-5:30pm:

AI On Line

ML: Inductive Learning I

Sholom M. Weiss
Reduced Complexity Rule Induction

Alen Varsek
Qualitative Model Evolution

Celine Rouveirol
Semantic Model for Induction of First Order Theories

AR: Search I

G.M.A. Provan
An Expected-Cost Analysis of Backtracking and Non-Backtracking Algorithms

Amitava Bagchi
Admissible Search Methods for Minimum Penalty Sequencing of Jobs with Setup
Times on One and Two Machines

Anna Bramanti-Gregor
Learning Admissible Heuristics while Solving Problems

LP: Logic Programming II

Mike Brayshaw
An Architecture for Visualising the Execution of Parallel Logic Programs

Kang Zhang
A Non-shared Binding Scheme for Parallel Prolog Implementation

KR: Reasoning with Inconsistency

Mamede Lima Marques
Contextual Negations and Reasoning with Contradictions

Gerd Wagner
Ex contradictione nihil sequitir

Rob: Architectures

Luc Steels
Emergent Frame Recognition And Its Use In Artificial Creatures

R. Peter Bonasso
Integrating Reaction Plans and Layered Competences through Synchronous Control

7:30pm:	Computers & Thought Award:  Martha Pollack and Rodney Brooks
	Announcement of IJCAI Best Paper Award

Tuesday, August 27, 1991

9-10am:  Invited Speaker 2- Shigeru Sato

10-10:30am:  Coffee

10:30-12:30pm:

ML: Inductive Learning II

Robin Hanson
Bayesian Classification with Correlation and Inheritance

Der-Shung Yang
A Scheme for Feature Construction and a Comparison of Empirical Methods

Steven Salzberg
Learning with a Helpful Teacher

Stefan Wrobel
Towards a Model of Grounded Concept Formation

AR: Planning I

Stuart J. Russell
Composing Real-Time Systems

Eric Biefeld
Bottleneck Identification Using Process Chronologies

Jeffrey S. Rosenschein
Incomplete Information and Deception in Multi-Agent Negotiation

Marta Franova
Solving "How to Clear a Block" with Constructive Matching Methodology

NL: Pragmatics

Peter van Beck
Resolving Plan Ambiguity for Cooperative Response Generation

Yorick Wilks
Your metaphor or mine: Belief ascription and metaphor interpretation

Philip R. Cohen
Confirmations and Joint Action

QR: Diagnosis

Philippe Dague
When Oscillators Stop Oscillating

Gerhard Friedrich
Diagnosing Temporal Misbehavior

Franz Lackinger
Integrating Model-Based Monitoring and Diagnosis of Complex Dynamic Systems

David Poole
Representing diagnostic knowledge for probabilistic Horn abduction

Vis: Object Recognition

Yerucham Shapira
A Pictorial Approach to Object Classification

Thomas M. Strat
Natural Object Recognition: A Theoretical Framework and Its Implementation

John R. Kender
On Seeing Spaghetti: A Novel Self-Adjusting Seven Parameter Hough Space for
Analyzing Flexible Extruded Objects

Tomaso Poggio
HyperBF Networks for real object recognition

12:30-2pm:  Lunch

2-3:30pm:

Panel 2: AI and Design

ML: Inductive Logic Programming

J.R. Quinlan
Determinate Literals as an Aid in Inductive Logic Programming

Charles X. Ling
Inductive Learning from Good Examples

Marc Kirschenbaum
Refinement Strategies for Inductive Learning of Simple Prolog Programs

KR: Nonmonotonic Reasoning - Conditional Logics

Hirofumi Katsuno
A Unified View of Consequence Relation, Belief Revision and Conditional Logic

Craig Boutilier
Inaccessible Worlds and Irrelevance: Preliminary Report

Didier Dubois
Possibilistic logic, preference models, non-monotonicity and related issues

AR: Search II

Hermann Kaindl
Using Aspiration Windows for Minimax Algorithms

Stephen V. Chenoweth
High Performance A* Search Using Rapidly Growing Heuristics

Toru Ishida
Moving Target Search

CM: Cognitive Modelling 1

Jacobijn Sandberg
How situated is cognition?

Katia P. Sycara
Index Transformation Techniques for Facilitating Creative Use of Multiple Cases

Gregg Collins
Plan debugging in an Intentional System

3:30-4pm:  Coffee

4-5:30pm:

AI On Line

ML: Concept Formation

Jason Catlett
Overpruning Large Decision Trees

Larry Watanabe
Learning Structural Decision Trees From Examples

David Heath
Learning Nested Concept Classes with Limited Storage

Sunil Thakar
Acquiring Knowledge by Efficient Query Learning

KR: Concept Languages

Franz Baader
Augmenting Concept Languages by Transitive Closure of Roles:  An Alternative
to Terminological Cycles

Franz Baader
A Scheme for Integrating Concrete Domains into Concept Languages

Maurizio Lenzerini
Tractable Concept Languages

AR: Theorem Proving II

Toni Bollinger
A Model Elimination Calculus for Generalized Clauses
Inside the LILOG Inference Machine

Elmar Eder
Consolution and its Relation with Resolution

Manfred Kerber
How to Prove Higher Order Theorems in First Order Logic

Hitoshi Iba
Reasoning of Geometric Concepts based on Algebraic Constraint-directed Method

Phil: Philosophical Foundations II

David Israel
Actions and Movements

Selmer Bringsjord
In Defense of Hyper-Logicist AI

Francesco Bergadano
The Problem of Induction and Machine Learning

QR: Qualitative Modelling

Erling A. Woods
The Hybrid Phenomena Theory

Feng Zhao
Extracting and Representing Qualitative Behaviors of Complex Systems in Phase
Spaces

Toyoaki Nishida
A Geometric Approach to Total Envisioning

Wednesday, August 28, 1991

9-10am:  Distinguished Scientist Award & Lecture:  Marvin Minsky

10-10:30am:  Coffee

10:30-12:30pm:

KR: Topics in Knowledge Representation

Periklis Belegrinos
A Model for Actions and Processes

Hans Juergen Ohlbach
Parameter Structures for Parametrized Modal Operators

Russell Greiner
Measuring and Improving the Effectiveness of Representations

Gadi Pinkas
Propositional Non-Monotonic Reasoning and Inconsistency in Symmetric Neural
Networks

AR: Planning II

Edwin P.D. Pednault
Generalizing Nonlinear Planning to Handle Complex Goals and Actions with
Context-Dependent Effects

Jens Christensen
A Formal Model for Classical Planning

Amy L. Lansky
Localized Search for Multiagent Planning

Steven Minton
Commitment Strategies in Planning: A Comparative Analysis

NL: NL Systems

Marie Meteer
POST: Using Probabilities in Language Processing

John A. Bateman
The rapid prototyping of natural language generation components: an
application of functional typology

Oliviero Stock
Natural Language and Exploration of an Information Space: the ALFRESCO
Interactive System

C. Rullent
Efficient Representation of Linguistic Knowledge for Continuous Speech
Understanding

QR: Qualitative Modelling, Temporal Reasoning

Ulf Soderman
Combining Qualitative and Quantitative Knowledge to Generate Models fo
Physical Systems

Judea Pearl
Directed Constraint Networks: A Relational Framework for Causal Modeling

Jan Top
Computational and Physical Causality

Antony Galton
Reified Temporal Theories And How To Unreify Them

Vis: Interpretation

Paul Cohen
Shading-Based Two-View Matching

Pascal Fua
Combining Stereo and Monocular Information: Computing Robust Dense Depth Maps
and Preserving Depth Discontinuities

R. Mike Cameron-Jones
Visual Interpretation of Lambertian Surface Deformation

Terry Regier
Line Labeling and Junction Labeling: A Coupled System for Image Interpretation

12:30-2pm:  Lunch

2-5:30pm: Computer & Chess Afternoon
	  Panel and Chess Match

Thursday, August 29, 1991

9-10am:  Invited Speaker 3 - Robert Kowalski

10-10:30am:  Coffee

10:30-12:30pm:

ML: Inductive Learning III

Armand E. Prieditis
Machine Discovery of Effective Admissible Heuristics by Means-Ends Analysis

David Chapman
Learning from Delayed Reinforcement In a Complex Domain

Wayne Iba
Learning to Classify Observed Motor Behavior

Peter C-H. Cheng
Modelling Experiments in Scientific Discovery

AR: Reason Maintenance

Jean Christophe Madre
A Logically Complete Reasoning Maintenance System Based on a Logical
Constraint Solver

Jerome Euzenat
Contexts for Nonmonotonic RMSes

Wang Xianchang
On Semantics of TMS

Ulrich Junker
Prioritized Defaults: Implementation by TMS and Application to Diagnosis

NL: Representation and Semantics

Padraig Cunningham
Organizational Issues Arising from the Integration of Lexicon and Concept
Network in a Text Understanding System

Mark Johnson
Logic and Feature Structures

Leonardo Lesmo
Representation and Interpretation of Definite Noun Phrases

Stephen Busemann
Using Pattern-Action Rules for the Generation of GPSG Structures From
MT-Oriented Semantics

LP: Logic Programming III

Kienchung Kuo
Programming in Autoepistemic Logic

L. Thorne McCarty
Indefinite Reasoning with Definite Rules

Karen L. Kwast
The Incomplete Database

Mark Wallace
Compiling Integrity Checking into Update Procedures

Dinesh Gadwal
UMRAO:  A Chess Endgame Tutor

Luigia Carlucci-Aiello
Reasoning about Student Knowledge and Reasoning

Tak-Wai Chan
Integration-Kid:  A Learning Companion System

William R. Murray
An Endorsement-based Approach to Student Modeling for Planner-controlled Tutors

12:30-2pm:  Lunch

2-3:30pm:

Panel 3:  Multiple Approaches tp Mulitple Agent Problem Solving

ML: Case Based Learning

Diane J. Cook
The Base Selection Task in Analogical Planning

Scott Fertig
FGP: A Software Architecture for Acquiring Knowledge from Cases

James P. Callan
Adaptive Case-Based Reasoning

KR: Nonmonotonic Reasoning - Circumscription

Nicolas Helft
Query Answering in Circumscription

Yves Moinard
Circumscription and Definability

Zhaogang Qian
Circumscribing Defaults

AR: Theorem Proving III

Robert Demolombe
An Inference Rule for Hypothesis Generation

Katsumi Inoue
Consequence-Finding Based on Ordered Linear Resolution

Christoph Lingenfelder
Proof Transformation with Built-in Equality Predicate

Arch: Distributed AI I

Sarit Kraus
Negotiations over Time in A Multi Agent Environment: Preliminary Report

Piotr J. Gmytrasiewicz
A Decision-Theoretic Approach to Coordination Multiagent Interactions

Munindar P. Singh
Towards a Formal Theory of Communication for  Multiagent Systems

3:30-4pm:  Coffee

4-5:30pm:

AI On Line

ML: Classification & Generalization

Floriana Esposito
Flexible Matching for Noisy Structural Descriptions

Haym Hirsch
Theoretical Underpinnings of Version Spaces

Jacques Nicolas
Empirical Bias for Version Space

KR: Concept Languages, Inheritance Reasoning

Klaus Schild
A Correspondence Theory for Terminological Logics:  Preliminary Report

John Yen
Generalizing Term Subsumption Languages to Fuzzy Logic

David S. Touretzky
A Skeptic's Menagerie:  Conflictors, Preemptors, Reinstators, and Zombies in
Nonmonotonic Inheritance

AR: Constraint Satisfaction

Rina Dechter
On the Feasibility of Distributed Constraint Satisfaction

Pascal van Hentenryck
Efficient Arc Consistency Algorithm for a Class of CSP Problems

Peter Cheeseman
Where the Really Hard Problems Are

QR: Reasoning under Uncertainty I

Yen-Teh Hsia
Characterizing Belief with Minimum Commitment

Rudolf Kruse
On a Tool for Reasoning with Mass Distribution

Henry E. Kyburg
Evidential Probability

Rob: Navigation

Stephen F. Peters
Planning Robot Control Parameter Values with Qualitative Reasoning

Patrick Stelmasyk
Mobile Robot Navigation by an Active Control of the Vision System

Matthew Barth
Determining Robot Egomotion from Motion Parallax Observed by an Active Camera

5:30pm:  General Meeting

Friday, August 30, 1991

9-10am:  Invited Speaker 4- Takeo Kanade

10-10:30am:  Coffee

10:30-12:30pm:

AR: Planning III

Christer Backstrom
Parallel Non-Binary Planning in Polynomial Time

Tom Bylander
Complexity Results for Planning

Dekang Lin
A Message Passing Algorithm for Plan Recognition

Fahiem Bacchus
The Downward Refinement Property

NL: Parsing and Morphology

Tsunenori Mine
Coordinative Parallel Morphological and Syntactical Analysis Method in
Japanese

Liang-Jyh Wang
A Parsing Method for Identifying Words in Mandarin Chinese Sentences

Harald Trost
X2MORF: A Morphological Component Based on Augmented Two-Level Morphology

Venu Dasigi
Parsing = Parsimonious Covering (Abduction in Logical Form Generation)

Arch: Connectionist & Parallel Rule Systems

Tony Plate
Holographic Reduced Representations:  Convolution Algebra for Compositional
Distributed Representations

Andrew Sohn
A Macro Actor/Token Implemetation of Production Systems on Data-Flow
Multiprocessor

Dan Moldovan
Performance Comparison of Models for Multiple Rule Firing

Ian Nevill Robinson
On Supporting Associative Access and Processing over Dynamic Knowledge Bases

Summary Session: IJCAI-91, Learning and Knowledge Acquisition

Summary Session: KR'91, International Conference on Principles of Knowledge
                 Representation and Reasoning

12:30-2pm:  Lunch

2-3:30pm:

Panel 4: Massively Parallel Computing in Artificial Intelligence:  Bridging
Gaps Between Hardware and Applications

ML: Knowledge Acquisition

Kathleen McKusick
Constraints on Tree Structure in Concept Formation

Brian R. Gaines
An Interactive Visual Language for Term Subsumption Languages

Matthias Gutknecht
Cooperative Hybrid Systems

CM: Cognitive Modelling 2

N. Hari Narayanan
Reasoning Visually about Spatial Interactions

Akira Shimaya
A Cognitive Model for Figure Segregation

W.K. Yeap
An MFIS for Computing a Raw Cognitive Map

Summary Session: IJCAI-91, Automated Reasoning

Summary Session: International Symposium on AI and Mathematics

3:30-4pm:  Coffee

4-5:30pm:

ML: Connectionist Models

Warren R. Becraft
Integration of Neural Networks and Expert  Systems for Process Fault Diagnosis

Chilukuri Krishna Mohan
Analyzing Images Containing Multiple Sparse Patterns with Neural Networks

Selwyn Piramuthu
The Utility of Feature Construction for Back-Propagation

Arch: Distributed AI II

Hideyuki Nakashima
Communication and Inference through Situations

David N. Kinny
Commitment and Effectiveness of Situated Agents

Takashi Nishiyama
Generating Integrated Interpretation of Partial Information Based on
Distributed Qualitative Reasoning

QR: Reasoning under Uncertainty II

S.K.M. Wong
Propagation of Preference Relations in Qualitative Inference Networks

Wilson Xun Wen
Parallel Distributed Belief Networks That Learn

Summary Session: IJCAI-91, Natural Language

Summary Session: International Conference on Automated Deduction

LEGEND:

AR: Automated Reasoning
Arch: Architectures & Languages
CM: Cognitive Modelling