[comp.ai.vision] VISION-LIST digest 10.24

Vision-List-Request@ADS.COM (Vision-List moderator Phil Kahn) (05/23/91)

VISION-LIST Digest    Wed May 22 16:30:51 PDT 91     Volume 10 : Issue 24

 - Send submissions to Vision-List@ADS.COM
 - Vision List Digest available via COMP.AI.VISION newsgroup
 - If you don't have access to COMP.AI.VISION, request list
   membership to Vision-List-Request@ADS.COM
 - Access Vision List Archives via anonymous ftp to ADS.COM

Today's Topics:

 Image File Formats
 Digitized Mecial Images
 Re: edge location problem
 VME-based comp. vision system
 References sought: discrete relaxation
 3-D manipulation programs needed!!!
 Image restoration software
 Conference on Spatial Vision in Humans and Robots
 CFP: CAMP 91
 CFP: SPIE/IS&T Symposium: Image Processing - Implementation and Systems
 SPIE Geometric Methods in Computer Vision

Date: Wed, 22 May 91 09:47:43 +0200
From: j_goncalves@cen.jrc.it (Joao Goncalves)
Subject: Image File Formats

I know that there are a lot of image file formats around. Does anyone
know any paper, report, text book, etc., mentioning the details for
the different image file formats?

Alternatively, you can send the description of particular formats. I'll
summarise and send results if requested.

Thanks in advance

   Dr. Joao Goncalves		tel: 39 + 332 + 789 416
   Joint Research Centre	fax: 39 + 332 + 789 185
   TP 270			E-mail: j_goncalves@cen.jrc.it
   21020 Ispra (VA), Italy

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 May 1991 14:12:13 GMT
From: Brian Johnston <brian3@garfield.cs.mun.ca>
Subject: Digitized Mecial Images

Wanted:
		Digitized medical images(including phantoms) from CT,
		SPECT, MRI or any other medical imaging source.  I have
		tried to obtain the images directly from hospital and
		institutional sources but have been refused, on
		confidentiality grounds. If anyone knows where I might
		get these images(ftp sites, etc.) I would truly
		appreciate it. I am attempting to do a medical imaging
		project but cannot proceed without test material.

		Thanks in advance!!

		Please mail responses to :

		brian3@garfield.cs.mun.ca

[ A few of these images would also be very useful for the Vision List
  Archive.  Especially if the imaging parameters accompany the data.
  Please contact me if you have this data.
							phil...	]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 May 91 10:02:08 CDT
From: schultz@halley.serc.3m.com (John C. Schultz)
Subject: Re: edge location problem

> From: ajb@iti.org (Al Boehnlein)
> Subject: edge location problem
>
> I am looking for a technique that will find an edge with sub-pixel
> accuracy.  The edge is a special type, in that it is generated with

Since you know the reason for the "ringing" (diffraction from an edge)
why not deconvolve the image with the appropriate kernel (sinc(x))
which should provide an image without ringing and nearly ideally
recover the original object.  Then use conventional linear estimators
for the edge location to sub-pixel precision.

Be careful since sub-pixel precision trades off gray level for
resolution so you need to be careful with your lighting.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 May 91 11:30:57 +0200
From: skoft@itk.unit.no
Subject: VME-based comp. vision system

Does anyone have any experience on continous (real-time) computer vision
using a VME-rack with CPU,framegrabber and signal proccessor?

I'll summarize your responses if you mail them directly to me at this
address:

Gunleiv Skofteland
Div. of Engineering Cybernetics
The Norwegian Institute of Technology
N-7034 Trondheim, Norway
email: skoft@itk.unit.no

Thanks in advance!

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 May 1991 03:29:07 GMT
From: ead@netcom.COM (Eric De Mund)
Subject: references sought: discrete relaxation

netters,

i'm looking for references to discrete relaxation, especially (though
not necessarily) as applied to the problem of image segmentation. i'm
aware of rosenfeld & kak's use of it in, "digital picture processing",
but i'm looking for additional sources.

thanks,
eric de mund
ead@netcom.com
...!{apple,amdahl,claris}!netcom!ead

------------------------------

Date:         Tue, 21 May 91 12:11 CDT
From: Dr. Evangelos Triantaphyllou <VANGELIS@KSUVM.KSU.EDU>
Subject: 3-D manipulation programs needed!!!

I need computer code (in FORTRAN or PASCAL) to do the following:
     1)  Generate random 3-D objects.
     2)  Given  a 3-D  object and a view point to  determine  a  2-D
         projection  of  the  3-D object (with  hidden  lines  not
         being visible).
     3)  Given two graphs to determine whether the first graph is
         a subgraph of the second

Any  help on the previous problems (in terms of computer code  or
references) is highly needed and any assistance is appreciated.

Thank you in advance
     Evangelos Triantaphyllou, Ph.D.
     Dept. of Industrial Engineering
     Kansas State University

     e-mail: VANGELIS@KSUVM            (bitnet)
             VANGELIS@KSUVM.KSU.EDU    (internet)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 May 91 09:37:53 CDT
From: Ed Doering <edd@iastate.edu>
Subject: Image restoration software

Hello:

Is anyone aware of software packages for image restoration?  I am
specifically looking for robust routines (preferrably in C) that can
deconvolve a point spread function from a *noisy* gray level image.

Thanks!
Ed Doering (edd@iastate.edu)

------------------------------

Date: 	Fri, 17 May 91 17:57:12 EDT
From: jenkin@cs.yorku.ca
Subject: Conference on Spatial Vision in Humans and Robots

          CONFERENCE ON SPATIAL VISION IN HUMANS AND ROBOTS
                  York University, North York, Canada
                        JUNE 18TH to 22ND 1991

TENTATIVE PROGRAMME

		Tuesday June 18
6:00 to 10:00     Buffet reception and registration Behavioural Science
                  Building

		Wednesday June 19
9:00am            Opening
9:15              ``Spatial Vision Models: Problems and Successes''
                  Stanley Klein, School of Optometry, University of California,
                  Berkeley.
10:00             ``Dynamic Models in Vision''
                  Alex Pentland, Vision Science, The Media Laboratory, MIT.
10:45             Coffee break
11:15             ``Local Spatial and Temporal Structure in Human and Machine
                  Vision''
                  Jim Bergen, David Sarnoff Research Center, Princeton.
12:00             General discussion
12:30             Lunch
2:00              ``A practical system of face recognition''
		  John Daugman, Department of Computer Science, Cambridge.
2:45              ``Uncertainty Models for 2-1/2-D and 3-D surfaces''
                  Richard Szeliski, Digital Equipment Corporation,
                  Cambridge Research Lab.
3:30              Coffee break and posters
4:00              ``Early vision and focal attention''
		  Bela Julesz, Laboratory of Vision Research,
                  Rutgers University.
4:45-5:30         ``Deformable templates, competitive priors and statistical
                  physics''
                  Alan L. Yuille, Division of Applied Sciences, Harvard.

		Thursday June 20
9:00am            ``Nonlinearities in visual pattern discrimination and
                  motion analysis''
                  Hugh Wilson, Eye Research Laboratory, University of
                  Chicago.
9:45              ``Spatial vision for motion-defined form''
                  David Regan, Dept. of Opthalmology, University of Toronto
                  and ISTS, York.
10:30             Coffee break
11:00             ``Active motion perception''
                  Patrick Cavanagh, Department of Psychology,
                  Harvard University.
11:45             General discussion - Stuart Anstis
12:15             Lunch
2:00              ``Integrating vision modules''
                  Whitman Richards and Allan Jepson, MIT and University of
                  Toronto.
2:45              ``The role of color in spatial vision''
                  Karen K. De Volois, Department of Psychology, Berkeley.
3:30              General discussion - Peter Lennie
4:00              Coffee and posters.
6:30              Banquet

		Friday June 21
9:00am            ``On the computational neurobiology of early vision''
                  Steven W. Zucker, Research Center for Intelligent
                  Machines, McGill University.
9:45              ``A computational perspective on visual attention''
                  John Tsotsos, Dept. of Computer Science, University of
                  Toronto.
10:30             Coffee break.
11:00             ``Learning, Networks and object Recognition''
                  Thomaso Poggio, Artificial Intelligence Laboratory, MIT.
11:45             General discussion
12:15             Lunch
2:00              ``Learning to recognize hand-printed characters''
                  Geoffrey Hinton, Department of Computer Science, University
                  of Toronto.
2:45              ``Learning visual behaviors''
                  Dana Ballard, Department of Computer Science, University
                  of Rochester.
3:30              Coffee break.
4:00              ``Normalization of cell responses in cat striate cortex''
                  David Heeger, Vision Science Media Lab, MIT.
4:45-5:15         General discussion - John (Yiannis) Aloimonos
6:00              Party

		Saturday June 22
9:00am            ``Approximate subspace methods for recovering rigid motion''
                  Allan D. Jepson and David J. Heeger, Department of
                  Computer Science, University fo Toronto.
9:45              ``Multiple surface representation in vision''
                  Ken Nakayama, Department of Psychology, Harvard.
10:30             Coffee break.
11:15             ``Perceptual significance hierarchy: computer algorithms
                  based on biological vision''
                  Deborah Walters, Department of Computer Science, State
                  University of New York at Buffalo
11:45-12:15       General discussion - Zenon Pylyshyn
12:30             Barbecue lunch

REGISTRATION FEE
$50.00 Canadian ($20.00 for students) if paid by May 15th.
$60.00 Canadian ($25.00 for students) if paid after May 15th.

MEALS
Meals will be available in the University dining halls or off campus.
There will be a banquet on June 21st for which advance payment of
$25.00 Canadian is required by May 15th.

ACCOMMODATIONS
Accommodations will be available in the Colleges of York University at
$35 per person, per night, or in the nearby La Strada Hotel at $51.00 p
er person, per night (single or double).

            CONFERENCE ON SPATIAL VISION IN HUMANS AND ROBOTS

                            Registration Form

NAME:_______________________________________________________________
ADDRESS:____________________________________________________________

I enclose payment for registration fee $__________________(CDN)
I enclose payment for ____ banquet tickets $______________(CDN)

Please book the following rooms (no deposit required)
                     College single        Hotel single       Hotel double
Tuesday June 18th        _____               _____              _____
Wednesday June 19th      _____               _____              _____
Thursday June 20th       _____               _____              _____
Friday June 21st         _____               _____              _____
Saturday June 22nd       _____               _____              _____

POSTERS:

Facilities could be available for Posters to be displayed if there is
sufficient interest. If you are interested please let us know as soon
as possible and submit a title and abstract (up to 200 words) by March
1st. We will have to limit the number of posters to the space
available.

Please return this form to:

Ian P. Howard
103 Farquharson Building
York University
North York, Ontario, Canada
M3J 1P3.

FAX (416) 736-5857 TEL (416) 736-5659 EMAIL ihoward@yorkvm1.netnorth
                                            ihoward@vm1.yorku.ca

*Registration and banquet fees should be in Canadian Dollars by Check or
Money Order payable to York University.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 May 91 09:50:09 +0200
From: Fortunel Christian <fortunel@etca.fr>
Subject: Second CFP: CAMP 91

CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENT: CAMP 91 in PARIS, FRANCE		 _____________
								/    PARIS    \
Co-Organized by DRET/ETCA and CNRS/IEF				|   _______   |
in Cooperation with IEEE CIRCUITS and SYSTEMS SOCIETY		|  /       \  |
								|  |       |  |
SECOND CALL FOR PAPERS						|  |       |  |
								|__|       |__|
Title:  Computer Architecture for Machine Perception (CAMP 91)
Date:   16, 17, 18 December 1991
Place:  PARIS, FRANCE (Hotel Forest Hill)

Topics: CAMP 91 will focus on new architectures, both hardware and software,
	associated programming environments and algorithms designed for
	research and industrials applications of Artificial Intelligence,
	Vision, and more generally Machine Perception (including Decision,
	Control, Image Processing, Advanced Signal Processing, Sensor Fusion,
	Simulation, etc.).
	The emphasis of the program will be the presentation of significant
	new contributions (VLSI, programming and execution models of
	parallelism, parallel and massively parallel operating system,
	routing, agorithmics, etc.), plus panel discussion sessions in which
	attendees can actively compare and contrast their methods.
	The commitee will endeavor to preserve the spirit of CAPAMI.

Commitee:
	B. Zavidovique (FR)	L. Wendel (FR)       M. Bayoumi (USA)
	R. Brodersen (USA)	V. Cantoni (IT)      P.E. Danielsson (SW)
	F. Devos (FR)		M. Ejiri (JP)        J. Gallice (FR)
	J. Little (USA)		P. Matherat (FR)     J. Sanz (USA)
	S. Tanimoto (USA)

Submission:
	Authors should submit four (4) copies of an extended abstract (1500
	words) by July 1st, 1991 to:
		Louis Wendel
		Ecole Nationale Superieure de Physique de Strasbourg - LSIT
		7 rue de l'Universite
		67000 Strasbourg
		France
	or by fax to:
		Louis Wendel
		Ecole Nationale Superieure de Physique de Strasbourg - LSIT
                Fax #: 33-88-35-31-76
	or by electronic mail to:
		zavido@etca.etca.fr
        Authors are requested to furnish an electronic mail address or
	a fax number.

	The four best papers will be published in Machine Vision and
	Applications.

	Authors will be notified of the acceptance of their papers by
	September 20th. Final camera ready papers are due October 30th.

Registration:
	Information regarding the registration will be available at a
	latter date in the same way through electronic mail.

For further information:
	Email: zavido@etca.fr
	Phone: Sylvette / 33-1-42-31-97-21

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 May 91 18:34:04 -0800
From: FLICK@IBM.COM
Subject: SPIE/IS&T Symposium: Image Processing - Implementation and Systems

Second Announcement and Call for Papers with Submission Dates
IMAGE PROCESSING - IMPLEMENTATIONS AND SYSTEMS

Part of the SPIE/IS&T Symposium on Electronic Imaging: Science and Technology
9-14 February 1992 * San Jose, California

Conference Chairs: Ronald B. Arps, IBM Almaden Research Center;
William K. Pratt, Sun Microsystems, Inc.

Cochairs: Myron D. Flickner, IBM Almaden Research Center;
Robert M. Haralick, University of Washington

Important dates:
  Abstracts due:                        July 15, 1991
  Author notification of acceptance:    November 15, 1991
  Camera Ready Abstract Due:            December 2, 1991
  Manuscript due:                       January 13, 1991

During the past few years there have emerged two important trends in
the implementation of image processing systems.  First, is the
creation of a new generation of image processing chips, which offer an
astonishing degree of capability in small packages at relatively low
cost.  Second, is the development of standards for image processing
and interchange.  These implementation trends are likely to profoundly
affect the design of the next generation of image processing systems.

This conference will seek to cover both hardware and software.  In
the hardware area, surveys will be given on the capabilities and
functionalities of programmable and fixed function, VLSI image
processing chips that have recently been introduced.  The theme of
this area will be exploration of how the availability of such chips
will affect the design of future image processing systems.  In the
software area, surveys will be presented on the emerging dejure software
standards being developed by the International Standards Organization
and the X Consortium, as well as defacto standards such as TIFF for
image transport.  The theme of this area will be how these software
standards will affect the design of image processing systems, with
emphasis on the development of associated software development tools
and graphical user interfaces.

The conference will bring together individuals who are concerned with
the implementation of image processing and interchange systems from
both hardware and software perspectives.  Papers are solicited on the
following and related topics:
*  programmable and fixed function image processing and interchange chips
*  image processing hardware architectures and systems
*  image processing and interchange standards
*  image processing software architectures and systems
*  image processing software tools and utilities (including compilers,
     graphical user interfaces, and image data base systems)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 May 91 16:39:53 -0400
From: "Baba Vemuri" <vemuri@scuba.cis.ufl.edu>
Subject: SPIE Geometric Methods in Computer Vision

			 GEOMETRIC METHODS IN COMPUTER VISION
			(Part of SPIE 1991 Symposium on Optical
			  Applied Science and Engineering)

		Conference Chair: Baba C. Vemuri, Dept. of CIS
	                          University of Florida, Gainesville, Fl.

		Co chairs: Ruud M. Bolle, IBM T. J. Watson Research Cntr.
				   Yorktown Heights NY
		Demetri Terzopoulos, Dept. of CS, Univ. of Toronto, Canada
		Richard Szeliski, Digital Equipment Corp., Cambridge Research Lab, MA
		Gabriel Taubin, IBM T. J. Watson Research Cntr., Yorktown Heights NY
	                           FINAL PROGRAM

	              		Thursday 25th July 1991
	Key Note Address: Dr. David Mumford
	Topic: Mathematical Theories of Shape: Do They Model Perception

SESSION 1: Energy-based Methods for Shape Estimation I                (Thurs. am)
Session Chair: D. Terzopoulos, Univ. of Toronto.
(1) ``Shape representation and non rigid motion tracking using
deformable superquadrics,'' D. Metaxas, and D. Terzopoulos; Dept. of
Computer Science, Univ. of Toronto
(2) ``Deformable Surfaces: a freeform shape representation,'' H.
Delingette, M. Hebert and K. Ikeuchi; The Robotics Institute, CMU,
Pittsburgh, PA.
(3) ``A new method for fusing data using physically-based models,''
Y. F. Wang, Dept. of CS, Univ. of California at Santa Barbara, CA.
(4) ``Fast surface estimation using wavelet bases,'' A. Pentland,
Vision and Modeling Group, Media Lab, M. I. T., Cambridge, MA.

SESSION 2: Differential Geometric Methods for Shape Representation I    (Thurs. am)
Session Chair: B. C. Vemuri, Univ. of Florida.
(1)``Differential properties from adaptive thin plate splines,'' S.
Sinha, Univ. of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI.
(2) ``Shape representation and recognition from curvature,'' G.
Dudek, McGill Univ., Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
(3) ``Efficient visual representation and reconstruction from
generalized curvature measures,'' E. Barth, T. Caelli, and C. Zetzche,
Institut feur Medizinische, LMU Munchen, Munchen, Germany.
(4) ``Orientation based differential geometric representations in
computer vision and applications,'' P. Liang, School of Computer
Science, Technical Univ. of Nova Scotia, Canada; C. H. Taubes,
Dept. of Mathematics, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA.

SESSION 4: Energy-based Methods for Shape Estimation II                  (Thurs. pm)
Session Chair: R. Szeliski, Digital Equipment Corp., Cambridge, MA.
(1) ``Energy functions for regularization algorithms,'' H.
Delingette, M. Hebert, and K. Ikeuchi, Robotics Institute, CMU,
Pittsburgh, PA.
(2) ``Direct Method for reconstruction of shape from shading,''
J. Oliensis, Univ. of Massachusetts at Amherst, Amherst, MA.
(3) ``Coupled depth slope model based upon augmented Lagrangian
techniques,'' David Suter, Dept. of CS \& CE, La Trobe Univ.
Australia.
(4) Physically-based and probabilistic models for computer vision,''
R. Szeliski, DEC CRL Research Labs, Cambridge, MA; and D. Terzopoulos,
Dept. of CS, Univ. of Toronto, ON, Canada.

SESSION 5: Geometry and Probability					 (Thurs. pm)
Session Chair: Ruud M. Bolle, IBM T. J. Watson Research Center.
(1) ``Probabilistic modeling of surfaces,'' R. Szeliski, DEC CRL
Labs, Cambridge, MA.
(2) ``Deformable templates, robust statistics and Hough
transforms,'' Alan L. Yuille, Division of Applied Sciences, Harvard
Univ. Cambridge, MA.
(3) ``Recognition and positioning of rigid objects using algebraic
moment invariants,'' G. Taubin, Exploratory Vision Group, IBM T. J.
Watson Research Center, NY.
(4) ``Stereo -vision for planetary rovers: Stochastic modeling to
near real-time implementation,'' Larry Matthies, Robotics and
Automation System Section, JPL, Pasadena, CA.

			 Friday 26th July 1991

SESSION 1: Energy-based Methods for Shape Estimation III		 (Fri. am)
Session Chair: D. Terzopoulos, Univ. of Toronto.
(1) ``Adaptive snakes: Control of damping and material parameters,''
Rmin Samadini, Dept. of EE, Stanford Univ. CA.
(2) ``Recognizing human eyes,'' P. Hallinan, Division of Applied
Sciences, Harvard Univ. Cambridge, MA.
(3) ``Contour estimation using global shape constraints and local
forces,'' K. Deng and J. N. Wilson, Dept. of CIS, CSE 301, Univ. of
Florida, Gainesville, Fl.
(4) ``Face recognition based on surface curvature,'' Gaile G.
Gordon, Harvard Robotics Lab, Harvard Univ., Cambridge, MA.

SESSION 2: Differential Geometric Methods for Shape Representation II	  (Fri. am)
Session Chair: G. Taubin, IBM T. J. Watson Research Cntr.
(1) ``Model driven surface classification,'' T. S. Newman, P. J.
Flynn, and A. K. Jain.
(2) ``Hierarchical decomposition and axial representation of shape,''
Hillel Rom and G. Medioni, Dept. of EE, Univ. of Southern California,
Los Angeles, CA.
(3) ``Direct computation of geometric features from motion disparities
and shading,'' D. Weinshall, Center for Bio. Info. Proc.  and AI lab,
M. I. T., Cambridge, MA.
(4) ``Computing curvatures in stereo imagery,'' P. Fua and P.  Sander,
INRIA, France.

SESSION 3: Geometry and Matching/Motion					   (Fri. pm)
Session Chair: B. C. Vemuri, Univ. of Florida
(1) `Invariant feature matching in parameter space with application
to line features,'' Y. C. Hecker, Courant Inst. of Mathematical
Sciences, NYU, 251 Mercer Street, NY 10012, and R. M. Bolle, IBM T.J.
Watson Research Center, NY.
(2) ``On seeing Spaghetti: Two novel algorithms for analyzing the
seven dimensions of flexible extruded objects,'' John R. Kender, Dept.
of CS, Columbia Univ., NY, and R. Kjeldsen, Exploratory Vision Group,
IBM T. J. Watson Research Cntr., Yorktown Heights, NY.
(3) ``Positioning of curved 3D objects from image contours,'' S.
Lavallee, L. Brunie, TIMB-Grenoble, laboratorie Informatique Medicale,
Faculte de medicine 38799 La Tronche - France.
(4) ``Spatio-temporal curvature measures for flow-field analysis,''
C. Zetzche TU Munich, Munich, Germany, and E. Barth, LMU Munich, Germany.

SESSION 4: Geometric Constraints for Shape Representation		  (Fri. pm)
Session Chair: R. Szeliski, Digital Equipment Corp. Cambridge, MA.
(1) ``Primary set of characteristic views for 3D objects,'' S. Chen
and H. Freeman, CAIP Center, Rutgers University, Piscataway, NJ.
(2)  ``Image representation by integrating curvatures and Delaunay
triangulation,'' Chengke Wu, INRIA Lorraine - CRIN,  and Roger Mohr,
LIFIA - IMAG Grenoble, France.
(3) ``3D reconstruction using virtual planes and horopters,'' E.
Grosso, G. Sandini and M. Tistarelli, DIST - Dept. of Computer
Communications and System Science, Univ. of Genova, Genova, Italy.
(4) ``From voxels to curvature,'' O. Monga and N. Ayache, and P.
Sander, INRIA Le Chesnay, France.
(5) ``Global minima via dynamic programming: energy minimizing active
contours,'' S. Chandran, NTT Data Communication Systems Corp., Japan.

End of VISION-LIST digest 10.24