Date: Mon, 3 Jun 91 12:26:31 -0700
From: vision@ads.com (Philip Kahn)
Subject: 1990 Rosenfeld bibliography on computer vision now in Vision Archive!

     This is the twenty-first in a series of bibliographies
on computer processing of pictorial information, covering
primarily items published during 1990.  The coverage is
restricted almost entirely to a selected set of U.S. or
international journals and conference proceedings.  No
attempt is made to summarize or evaluate the items cited;
the purpose is simply to provide a convenient compendium of
references, grouped by subject.

     The references are arranged under the following
headings:
    (A) General references
    (B) Related topics
    (C) Applications
    (D) Architectures
    (E) Computational techniques
    (F) Feature extraction, segmentation, image analysis
    (G) Matching, stereo, time-varying imagery
    (H) Shape and pattern
    (I) Color and texture
    (J) Three-dimensional scene analysis
Letter/number codes in the text (A.1, etc.) correspond to
sections of the bibliography.

[ This very fine (electronic) reference source is provided courtesy of
  Dr. Azriel Rosenfeld at the Univeristy of Maryland. Thanks to Joe
  Sanjour for making this electronic form available to us.
	We are currently working to see if we can convert the 1990 format
  into a BiBtex format that may be of more use to many of you.
								phil...	]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 May 1991 06:28:52 GMT
From: uh311ae@sunmanager.lrz-muenchen.de (Henrik Klagges)
Subject: Re: 3-D manipulation programs needed!!!

 I think you should look into the Device Independent Graphics Library (DIGL).
It is a machine independent (ie, runs on PC, Mac, Sun, HP, ...) implementation
of a very reasonable subsystem of the Silicon Graphics GL library. This library
is very nice to program and especially does all the work for you:
- it does orthographic or perspective viewing transformations from 3D -> 2D
- it does all the rotating and scaling with one 4x4 matrix
- it does shading, graphics context save (pushmatrix, popmatrix) etc.
It is available from godzilla.cgl.rmit.oz.au (131.170.14.2) via aftp.

Cheers ! Rick@vee.lrz-muenchen.de

Henrik Klagges , University of Muenchen, Physics Dep.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 May 1991 10:04:04 +0200
From: Peter Schaeren <schaeren@st.ife.ethz.ch>
Subject: Surface fitting to 3-D data

Hello,
I am confronted with the following situation:  I have  a data set of
about 3-400 3-D points from objects in a scene. To be able to derive
coordinates for a  robot to grab the objects I  need to fit surfaces
to the 3-D data.
So I am looking for algorithms, literature (survey papers) and software
(preferably in C) to interpolate or fit surfaces to 3-D data.
My major concern is not accuracy but speed.

                                    Thanks in advance
                                      Peter Schaeren
                                      schaeren@st.ife.ethz.ch

------------------------------

Date: 3 Jun 91 06:39:45 GMT
From: rwang <rwang@jarthur.Claremont.edu>
Subject: reconstructing binary patterns from projections

I am puzzled by the problem of reconstruction of a 1-0 matrix from its
row-sum vector and column-sum vector, in other words, recovery a 2D binary
pattern from two orthogonal projections. I know Shi_Kuo Chang, et al
developed some algorithm to find one of the many possible binary patterns
(The reconstruction of binary patterns from their projections" (Communication
of the ACM, vol. 14, no. 1, Jan., 1971). But this algorithm does not satisfy
my requirement that the reconstructed pattern be SIMPLY CONNECTED, i.e.,
a connected blob without holes. Alos, in his book "Combinatorial Mathematics",
Herbert John Ryser dedicated chapter 6 to "Matrices of aeros and ones".
But he didn't discuss any algorithm to actually reconstruct the binary
patterns. I would really appreciate it if some one can enlighten me on this
problem. Please send me email to:
"rwang@echmc.claremont.edu" or "rwang@jarthur.claremont.edu".
I am having some trouble accessing the usenet news groups.
Thank you in advance!

------------------------------

Date: 30 May 91 15:13 -0700
From: Yggy King <yking@cs.ubc.ca>
Subject: References wanted on oriented filtering

Hi everyone,
I'm looking for references on applications of oriented filtering
techniques in vision. Such methods utilize banks of filters at
various orientations and spatial frequencies, and include such
mathematical models as Gabor filters, difference of offset Gaussians,
difference of offset differences of Gaussians, etc.

I'm aware of a relatively large body of work on using such filters
for texture analysis (e.g. Malik & Perona, Bovik, etc) and am more
interested in other potential applications, such as modeling of
early stages of biological processing, edge detection, etc.

Please email ... I will summarize and post if appropriate.

thanks in advance.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 3 Jun 91 14:07:02 DST
From: karit@spine.hut.fi (Kari Torkkola)
Subject: Research positions in speech and image processing

                  RESEARCH POSITIONS AVAILABLE

     The newly created "Institut Dalle Molle d'Intelligence Arti-
ficielle  Perceptive"  (IDIAP)  in  Martigny Switzerland seeks to
hire qualified researchers in the areas of speech recognition and
image  manipulation.   Candidates  should  be able to conduct in-
dependent research in a UNIX environment on the  basis  of  solid
theoretical and applied knowledge.  Salaries will be aligned with
those offered by the Swiss government for  equivalent  positions.
Laboratories  are  now  being  established in the newly renovated
building that houses the  Institute,  and  international  network
connections  will  soon be in place.  Researchers are expected to
begin activity during the academic year 1991-1992.

     IDIAP is the third institute of artificial intelligence sup-
ported by the Dalle Molle Foundation, the others being ISSCO (at-
tached to the University of Geneva) and IDSIA  (situated  in  Lu-
gano).   The new institute will maintain close contact with these
latter centers as  well  as  with  the  Polytechnical  School  of
Lausanne and the University of Geneva.

     To apply for a research position at  IDIAP,  please  send  a
curriculum vita and technical reports to:

                   Daniel Osherson, Directeur
                              IDIAP
                        Case Postale 609
                        CH-1920 Martigny
                           Switzerland

     For further information by e-mail, contact:

                    osherson@disuns2.epfl.ch

End of VISION-LIST digest 10.26