[comp.ai.vision] VISION-LIST digest 10.28

Vision-List-Request@ADS.COM (Vision-List moderator Phil Kahn) (06/18/91)

VISION-LIST Digest    Mon Jun 17 18:04:22 PDT 91     Volume 10 : Issue 28

 - Send submissions to Vision-List@ADS.COM
 - Vision List Digest available via COMP.AI.VISION newsgroup
 - If you don't have access to COMP.AI.VISION, request list
   membership to Vision-List-Request@ADS.COM
 - Access Vision List Archives via anonymous ftp to ADS.COM

Today's Topics:

 Regularization effects on the covariance matrix
 Where can I find digital texture images?
 Optical Drives
 Maxvideo 20 of Datacube.
 3D Convex Hull
 Table of Contents. Machine Vision and Applications
 Mammographic Image Analysis Society (MIAS)
 Job opening
 CFP: Biomedical Image Processing III and 3-D Microscopy
 Looking for a job opening

Date:  Wed, 12 JUN 91 12:58 N
From: ATTOLICO%ASTRBA.BA.CNR.IT@ICINECA.CINECA.IT
Comments: INFN.IT domain is equivalent to BITNET domain: INFNET;
          INFNET has been disestablished Dec 31, 1988
Subject: Regularization effects on the covariance matrix

        I'm trying to understand the effects of smoothing by regularization
    on a depth map obtained by a dynamic reconstruction process using
    the Kalman filter. In particular I'm looking for any material on the
    regularization effects on the covariance matrix. Please send any
    reference to the E-Mail:

                attolico%astrba.cnr.it@MITVMA..MIT.EDU

    I can reports a summary of the answers to any interested person ...

                                Thanks in advance

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Jun 91 15:38:02 +0200
From: John Husoy-stip <jonh@tele.unit.no>
Subject: Where can I find digital texture images?

Hi!
	I am  planning in the near future to embark on a research effort
into classification of texture images.  As we do not have any digital
texture images available I would be grateful if anybody could give me
access to their digtal texture images, -- or tell me where I can get
hold of such images. I am in particular interested
in images from  the Brodatz album and other common images used in the
``texture literature''.

	Thanks in advance!

	John Haakon Husoy
	The Norwegian Institute of Technology
	Department of Electical and Computer Engineering
	7034 Trondheim - NTH
	NORWAY
	email: jonh@tele.unit.no
	tel:   ++ 47 + 7 + 594453
	fax:   ++ 47 + 7 + 944475

------------------------------

Date: 12 Jun 91 21:44:47 GMT
From: cote@dino.UCSD.EDU (Brad Cote)
Subject: Optical Drives

Hello,
	Our project is currently reviewing optical storage technology.
We need to store large (app. 1 meg) images for a medical diagnostic
application.  The system is a 386 PC (MS-DOS) computer, a Compaq
386/25 Deskpro.  We are using Compaq's DOS 3.31.  We are
looking for any information from anyone who has used optical drives
in their work, or has any opinions which we might find usefull.
We do not require the ability to store different operating systems,
boot from the optical drive, or read the disk on other platforms.  We
are requiring DOS compatible file system.

	The new magnetic-optical (MO) drives  from the following
companies have recieved good reviews:
	Peripheral Infinity Optical
	Ocean Tidalwave 650
	MicroNet SB-SMO/DOS
	Pinnacle REO-650

	The last machine has also been selected by JPL as their
standard optical drive.  Does anyone have any information about
reliability of these or other drives? I will be gratefull for any
comments.
				Thanks
				Brad Cote' STARE Project

------------------------------

Date: Fr 14 June 91 10:15:58-AM
From: A.de la Escalera <escalera@disam.upm.es>
Subject: Maxvideo 20 of Datacube.

Hello,
	We are going to buy the MAXVIDEO-20 and the IMAGEFLOW of
Datacube. We would like to know the opinion of someone with experience
about these products.

Thanks in advance,
	Arturo de la Escalera.
	DISAM
	Universidad Politecnica de Madrid/ETSII.
	SPAIN.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Jun 91 11:06:55 -0500
From: Chiun-Hong Chien <chien@aio.jsc.nasa.gov>
Subject: 3D Convex Hull

I am looking for C codes (or algorithms) for computing 3D Convex Hull
(from, say, a set of points).  Any pointers will be highly
appreciated.  Please respond by e-mail.  Thanks in advance.

C. H. Chien
chien@aio.jsc.nasa.gov
Lockheed Engineering and Sciences
2400 NASA Road 1 / MC C19
Houston, TX 77058

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Jun 91 13:54:33 PDT
Subject: Table of Contents. Machine Vision and Applications
From: springer%engrhub@hub.ucsb.edu

MACHINE VISION AND APPLICATIONS, An International Journal

This journal is published four times a year and has a personal subscription
rate of $50.00 (including postage and handling).  The institutional rate is
$112.00 (including postage and handling.  If you would like a sample copy,
subscription information, or information on submitting a paper for publication,
please write to:

Paul Manning
Journal Promotion
Springer-Verlag New York, Inc.
175 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10010

Volume 4, Issue 2 contains the following articles:

AN OPTIMIZATION FRAMEWORK FOR FEATURE EXTRACTION
by P. Fua and A. J. Hanson

FULL-FRAME COSINE TRANSFORM IMAGE COMPRESSION FOR MEDICAL AND INDUSTRIAL
APPLICATIONS
by Bruce K. T. Ho, Johnny Chao, Chi Sharn Wu, and H. K. Huang

A CIRCLE-DETECTION ALGORITHM SIMULATING WAVE PROPAGATION
by Keishi Hanahara and Masao Hiyane

MACHINE VISION IN THE 1990s: APPLICATIONS AND HOW TO GET THERE
by D. Petkovic and J. Wilder

Volume 4, Issue 3 of MACHINE VISION AND APPLICATIONS is due out in August,
1991. You can look forward to the following articles:

AUTOMATIC INSPECTION OF DIODE PELLETS
by Y. Okawa and S. Mizuno

ANALYSIS OF AEROSOL IMAGES USING THE SCALE-SPACE PRIMAL SKETCH
by T. Lindeberg and J. Eklundh

INTERPRETATION OF LASER RADAR IMAGES BY A KNOWLEDGE-BASED SYSTEM
by C. Chu and J. K. Aggarwal

A VLSI ARCHITECTURE FOR A HALF-EDGE BASED CORNER DETECTOR
by N. Ranganathan, S. Nichani, and R. Mehrotra

LEVELS OF KNOWLEDGE FOR OBJECT EXTRACTION
by A. Meisels

SURFACE PROFILE MEASUREMENT USING COLOR FRINGE PROJECTION
by D. Capson and C. Wust

------------------------------

Date:           Thu, 13 Jun 91  10:28 GMT
From: "MVUB::MVARGA%hermes.mod.uk"@relay.MOD.UK
Subject:        Mammographic Image Analysis Society (MIAS)

           MAMMOGRAPHIC IMAGE ANALYSIS SOCIETY (MIAS)

    There is a group of people from the U.K. and Europe involved in
setting up a Mammographic Image Analysis Society (MIAS). The aims of
this society are firstly to keep both medical and image pattern
processing researchers informed and in contact. It is also intended
that the society will provide a forum for the development of future
collaborative projects. The first collaborative project is concerned
with creating a large database of mammographic images.

    Anyone interested in participating/supporting the MIAS, please contact:
Dr. Sue Astley, Wolfson Image Analysis Unit, Dept. of Medical Biophysics,
University of Manchester, Stopford Building, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PT,
or email her at: sue@wiau.mb.man.ac.uk.

Dr. Margaret Varga,
Defence Research Agency, Electronics Division,
R.S.R.E., St. Andrew's Road, Malvern, U.K.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Jun 91 13:28:49 PDT
From: tierney@george.lbl.gov (Brian Tierney)
Subject: Job opening
                             JOB OPENING
        Image Processing and Visualization of Scientific Data
                in a Distributed Computing Environment

     JOB DESCRIPTION
          Lawrence Berkeley  Laboratory  is  seeking  an  Imaging
     Technologist  /  Computer  Scientist  to  participate in the
     Imaging Technologies Group.  The job will involve  identify-
     ing,  developing,  and  implementing  techniques  for  image
     analysis and the display of data arising from a  wide  range
     of  scientific imaging applications at the Laboratory.  Work
     will be done in a  high  performance  computing,  high-speed
     networking environment.
          The goal of the work is to provide reusable tools  that
     permit  the  exploration  of  large, complex, and frequently
     time varying  image  data  sets.  These  tools  must  couple
     closely  with  the scientific application to permit interac-
     tive exploration by users, but at the same time have  suffi-
     ciently  general  and  well  defined interfaces so that they
     will provide a  foundation  for  many  types  of  scientific
     applications.

     DUTIES
          The work will require understanding the scientific data
     well  enough to be able to identify and/or develop appropri-
     ate techniques for enhancement, analysis, segmentation,  and
     understanding,  particularly with respect to the the display
     of complex 3D scalar fields (e.g. tomography derived  data),
     as well as traditional 2D images.  In addition the work will
     involve the incorporation of  graphics  visualization  tech-
     niques  into  working  applications.  Close cooperation with
     the scientific community  will  be  necessary  in  order  to
     ensure the applicability of the work.

     REQUIREMENTS
          The applicant must have experience in a wide  range  of
     computing  topics  including  image  manipulation,  display,
     enhancement, modeling, and analysis;  3D  graphics;  distri-
     buted  computing;  and  window  systems.   The  job requires
     extensive C, and some Fortran language  programming  experi-
     ence.   Experience  in  developing window based applications
     (preferably using the X window system), is desirable.  Work-
     ing  familiarity with all aspects of the Unix environment is
     required.  Experience in developing distributed applications
     in  the  BSD  Unix environment is desirable.  Experience and
     educational  background  in  mathematics,  physics,  optics,
     chemistry,  geosciences,  or  biochemical  applications, and
     video  equipment  and  techniques  is  desirable.   The  job
     requires  an interest and experience in designing and imple-
     menting software systems.  An MS degree or PhD in one of the
     scientific  fields mentioned, computer science, or a related
     discipline, or equivalent experience, is required.

          Send a copy of your resume to: Brian Tierney,  Lawrence
     Berkeley  Laboratory,  Imaging  Technologies Group, MS: 50B-
     2239,   Berkeley,   CA   94720     USA,    or    email    to
     bltierney@lbl.gov.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Jun 91 11:08:46 EDT
From: Dmitry Goldgof <goldgof@screamer.csee.usf.edu>
Subject: CFP: Biomedical Image Processing III and 3-D Microscopy

                       CALL FOR PAPERS
       BIOMEDICAL IMAGE PROCESSING III AND 3-D MICROSCOPY

      Part of 1992 SPIE/SPSE Symposium on Electronic Imaging
         February 9-14, 1992,  San Jose, California, USA

The large variety of imaging modalities for the exploration of objects
of biomedical interest has led to the necessity for solving many
problems related to the specific characteristics of the radiation and
sensing apparatus used.  Acquired biomedical images typically suffer
from degradation related to the physical limitations of the imaging
device. These degradations serve to complicate the generic goals of
analysis and interpretation.  This conference is devoted to the
presentation of new techniques directed towards the improved
interpretation (interactive or automated) of biomedical images
obtained from practical systems. Papers are colicited which detail
methods for reconstructing images from partial information, for
correcting image defects, or for effectively
extracting/analyzing/interpreting practical images of biomedical
interest.

This conference will also explore the rapidly developing field of three-
dimensional microscopy. Consideration will be given to the characteristics
of the overall system design, including the illuminating source, imaging
optics and electronics sensors as well as to digital methods for producing
and displaying the resulting 3-D reconstruction. Recent innovations in
microscopy are having a large impact especially in the biological and
medical fields. Because these microscopes are now fully integral systems
incorporating both optical and electronic elements, it is hoped that the
broad range of relevant topics being presented at this symposium will serve
to encourage interactions among instrumentation engineers, computer image
analysts and biological and medical researchers.

Papers are invited in the following and related areas:
    Biomedical Image Processing
        - Image reconstruction
        - Image restoration and enhancement
        - Feature enhancement and extraction in biomedical images
        - Biomedical image analysis and interpretation
        - Multi-dimensional biomedical image processing
        - Motion analysis in biomedical images
    3-Dimensional Microscopy
        - Confocal Microscopy
        - 3-D and time-resolved image acquisition systems
        - Hybrid optical/electronic image processing systems
        - 3-D image processing and analysis
        - 3-D image reconstruction
        - Spatio-temporal reconstruction of living cells and tissues
        - Image visualization techniques for 3-D microscopy systems

Submissions:
   Please send 4 copies of a 200-word abstract and a brief
   biography by July 15, 1991 to:

     SPIE/SPSE Technical Program Committee:
     Electronic Imaging: Science and Technology 1992
     P.O. Box 10, Bellingham, WA 98227-0010 USA
     Shipping Address: 1000 20th St., Bellingham, WA 98225
     Telephone: 206/676-3290 (Pacific Time); Telex 46-7053
     Telefax: 206/647-1445; OPTO-LINK 206/733-2998

   Please include the author(s) name(s), company name, complete address
   and telephone/telex/telefax numbers (principal author first), and
   clearly designate for which conference within symposium the abstract
   is intended. For more information contact SPIE/SPSE or Conference
   Chairs below.

Important dates:
   Applicants will be notified of acceptance by mid-November.
   Camera-ready abstact is due December 2, 1991
   Manuscript is due January 13, 1992

Location:
   The conference will be held in San Jose Convention Center, San Jose,
   California USA, as a part of SPIE/IS&T Symposium on Electronic Imaging.
   This symposium will provide rich interaction environment because of
   numerous simultaneous conferences (Image Processing Algorithms, Image
   Compression and Reconstruction, Image Processing Hardware, Nonlinear
   Image Processing, etc.) and because of its location in the heart of the
   Silicon Valley.

Conference Chairs:
   Dr. Carol J. Cogswell
   Physical Optics Department
   The University of Sydney
   NSW Australia 2006

   Dr. Dmitry B. Goldgof
   University of South Florida
   Tampa, Florida 33620-5350
   Internet: goldgof@sol.csee.usf.edu

   Dr. Raj Acharya
   State University of New York at Buffalo
   Buffalo, New York 14260
   Internet: acharya@eng.buffalo.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Jun 91 10:27:36 +0200
From: arbogast@ganymede.imag.fr (Emmanuel Arbogast)
Subject: Looking for a job opening

I am still in France, will move to the States early August, and it is
quite difficult to get in touch with people...

I  am a freshly graduated Ph.D. student in computer vision, at LIFIA, Grenoble
France.

Experience shows that I have an inquisitive mind and am quick to learn. Highly
motivated,  I  enjoy  working with a team equally high spirited and competent.

My current specialty is computer vision, but my interests range from robotics
and AI in general to human interfaces, real time systems  and software design.

I  want  to  find  a  challenging  job position in research and development, in
computer vision preferably, anywhere on or near the west coast.

I will be in Seattle, WA, starting August 1st 1991, and will be a US permanent
resident.

I can send you my resume for more information on my background.

Thank you in advance,

Emmanuel

			   RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT
 			      In Computer Vision

Emmanuel ARBOGAST 			     Age: 28 years old
3 rue Auguste Gache'			     Birthdate: November 25, 1962
38000 GRENOBLE				     Birthplace: Strasbourg, FRANCE
FRANCE

Voice: (33) 76-63-00-20
Fax:   (33) 76-57-46-02
e-mail: arbogast@lifia.imag.fr