[uw.unix] trivia, core dump? okie dokie

walter@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (W. McCutchan - Computing Services) (08/24/89)

This (believe it or not) came up in conversation a while ago.

I believe this question was asked in this news-group about a year or
so ago, and I do not recall the answer, so I would like to trouble
the readers with this bit of minutae again, the question is:

What is the simplest/shortest/bestest way to get "okie dokie" to print on
your screen.

    proleptic thanks ..
    .. walter mccutchan

jmsellens@watdragon.waterloo.edu (John M. Sellens) (08/24/89)

In article <6250@watdcsu.waterloo.edu> walter@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (W. McCutchan - Computing Services) writes:
>What is the simplest/shortest/bestest way to get "okie dokie" to print on
>your screen.

Is this like a contest, or do you want something usable?  By lots of
measures, the best way is
    echo okie dokie
This of course, assumes a character interface, and that you don't want it
in inch high yellow polka-dotted letters on a blue background on your
Frobozz 3000 workstation.

dgharriss@watmath.waterloo.edu (Dermot G. Harriss) (08/24/89)

In article <16085@watdragon.waterloo.edu> jmsellens@watdragon.waterloo.edu (John M. Sellens) writes:
>In article <6250@watdcsu.waterloo.edu> walter@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (W. McCutchan - Computing Services) writes:
>>What is the simplest/shortest/bestest way to get "okie dokie" to print on
>>your screen.
>Is this like a contest, or do you want something usable?  By lots of
>measures, the best way is
>    echo okie dokie

I think the poster is probably recalling one of the Steve Hayman/tcj
"how to X with the fewest possible keystrokes" trivia contests.

In this case, I recall that Mail will respond "Okie dokie -- Core dumped"
if you type "core" in response to its prompt.  So, assuming you have mail
in your spool queue, and "mail" is an alias (link) to Mail (it usually is),
that's 8 keystrokes.  I don't know offhand if "Okie dokie" is a Steve
Haymanism or stock Mail message.

Cheers,
							-- Dermot

ksbooth@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Kelly Booth) (08/24/89)

In article <16085@watdragon.waterloo.edu> jmsellens@watdragon.waterloo.edu (John M. Sellens) writes:

>Is this like a contest, or do you want something usable?  By lots of
>measures, the best way is
>    echo okie dokie

I have a shorter way.  "rn" with uw.unix in my .newsrc.  This has worked
twice so far today for me.

sahayman@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (08/24/89)

From: Steve Hayman <sahayman@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>

>  I don't know offhand if "Okie dokie" is a Steve
>  Haymanism or stock Mail message.

It wouldn't be fair to challenge people to find a message that
you'd added yourself to a program.  The "Okie dokie" is stock
Mail behaviour.  (You can also get 'Okie dokie' with a "~C" when
composing a message.)

More mail trivia - if you get mail sufficiently confused while it
tries to optimize a network name, it will print

	"Sorry -- dumping now. Alert K. Shoens".

I'm sure Kurt Shoens - a Berkeley person who wrote "mail" 11 years ago - is
patiently standing by, waiting for your call.

..Steve

--
Steve Hayman    Workstation Manager    Computer Science Department   Indiana U.
sahayman@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu                                    (812) 855-6984