[uw.unix] Imbedding postscript in LaTeX

ahvermen@watcgl.waterloo.edu (09/18/89)

From: Al Vermeulen <ahvermen>

Does anyone know how I can imbed a postscript figure in a LaTeX
document?  I'm printing on a postscript printer so the -Fd flag on
lpr runs the dvi file through dvi2ps (or whatever it is now called).
There are some comments at the end of /usr/lib/tex/tex.ps that lead
me to believe I should be able to do this using some sort of \special
command but I can't figure out how.

thanks,

- Al

Al Vermeulen (al@watsup, ahvermen@watcgl)
al@watsup.waterloo.edu

jmsellens@watdragon.waterloo.edu (John M. Sellens) (09/22/89)

In article <11516@watcgl.waterloo.edu> ahvermen@watcgl.waterloo.edu writes:
>From: Al Vermeulen <ahvermen>
>

>Does anyone know how I can imbed a postscript figure in a LaTeX
>document?  I'm printing on a postscript printer so the -Fd flag on
>lpr runs the dvi file through dvi2ps (or whatever it is now called).
>There are some comments at the end of /usr/lib/tex/tex.ps that lead
>me to believe I should be able to do this using some sort of \special
>command but I can't figure out how.

I think
  \special{filename}
or
  \special{psfile filename}
should work.

If the man page was any good, it would mention this.  But nobody reading
the man page seems to care.

plragde@maytag.waterloo.edu (Prabhakar Ragde) (09/22/89)

In article <16571@watdragon.waterloo.edu> jmsellens@watdragon.waterloo.edu (John M. Sellens) writes:

>I think
>  \special{filename}
>or
>  \special{psfile filename}
>should work.
>
>If the man page was any good, it would mention this.  But nobody reading
>the man page seems to care.

I care. Where can I find out exactly what \special commands are supported
by whatever filter -Fd invokes, and which printers they are good on? Many
thanks. --PR

jmsellens@watdragon.waterloo.edu (John M. Sellens) (09/24/89)

In article <514@maytag.waterloo.edu> plragde@maytag.waterloo.edu (Prabhakar Ragde) writes:
>>If the man page was any good, it would mention this.  But nobody reading
>>the man page seems to care.
>
>I care. Where can I find out exactly what \special commands are supported
>by whatever filter -Fd invokes, and which printers they are good on? Many
>thanks. --PR

The dvi2ps man page has, for almost a year now, contained this:
    Complain about this man page - thank you.
Nobody ever has, so I've tried to spend my time on more worthwhile
pursuits :-)

The supported special commands should generally be documented in the
man pages for the printer drivers. e.g. tcan300(8), dvi2ps(1).
Generally the \special documentation is not that hot.  If you're
looking for something in particular, or have some special need (sorry)
let me know.