[comp.theory.dynamic-sys] wanted: intro to symbolic dynamics

propp@math.mit.edu (James Propp) (09/28/90)

Does anyone have any good, basic references for symbolic dynamics,
suitable for a smart undergraduate?  Preferably it should touch on
the measurable theory (i.e. Markov chains) as well as the topological
theory of symbolic dynamical systems.

Jim Propp (propp@math.mit.edu)

scavo@cs.uoregon.edu (Tom Scavo) (09/29/90)

In article <1990Sep28.153029.10741@agate.berkeley.edu> propp@math.mit.edu (James Propp) writes:
>Does anyone have any good, basic references for symbolic dynamics,
>suitable for a smart undergraduate?  Preferably it should touch on
>the measurable theory (i.e. Markov chains) as well as the topological
>theory of symbolic dynamical systems.

Well, you might want to take a look at

Hao, Bai-lin.  _Elementary_symbolic_dynamics_and_chaos_
_in_dissipative_systems_.  World Scientific, Singapore, 1989.

not because it's necessarily the best, but because it's
the only one I know of.  If nothing else, there are 500 [!]
included references, fifty of those being books of various
sorts (none on symbolic dynamics that I can see, however).
--

Tom Scavo  <scavo@cs.uoregon.edu>
---------