[comp.theory.dynamic-sys] Dynamic System Simulators

schiebel@cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (Darrell Schiebel) (09/08/90)

	Could anyone out there recomend dynamical system simulators,
	especially public domain simulators?  I would really appreciate
	any responses.

	Many Thanks,

	Darrell Schiebel
	(schiebel@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu)
	(UN027714@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu)
	(drs@baks.bell-atl.com)

cjoslyn@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) (09/10/90)

put DYNAMIC INF cybsys-l pw=asphynx
Here's some information about software packages for dynamical
simulation.

The best package for the PC for dynamical systems analysis that I know
of is:

	Dynamical Systems Inc.
	PO Box 35241
	Tucson AZ  85740
	602-825-1331

The author is Dr.  William Schaffer, who knows his stuff.  The scope of
the package is quite good.  Discrete maps, two integrators with noise,
bifurcation diagrams, phase space diagrams, Poincare sections, power
analysis, fractal dimension calculation, data importation, good
graphics.  Requires a fortran compiler.  The interface is from the dark
ages, but with a promised upgrade.

The following is a repost of an old new message:

Article 662 of sci.math.symbolic:

Newsgroups: sci.math,sci.electronics,sci.misc,sci.physics,sci.research,sci.math.num-analysis,sci.math.symbolic
Subject: Dynamical systems simulation package available
Date: 6 Jun 89 04:53:15 GMT

I thought I'd pass this on, in hopes that it would be of general interest.

INSITE is a collection of easy-to-use programs for the simulation and
characterization of dynamical systems, with an emphasis on chaotic systems.

INSITE runs on the X11 graphics package under UNIX and on the MetaGraphics
graphics package under PC-DOS.  There is a short write-up on it in the
August 1987 issue of the Proceedings of the IEEE.  It contains graphically
based, interactive programs that:

    calculate and plot trajectories and orbits,

    calculate and plot bifurcation diagrams of continuous- or
	discrete-time systems,

    calculate Lyapunov exponents (via simulation),

    calculate correlation dimension of attractors (from a data file
	obtained via experiment or simulation),

    calculate and plot one-dimensional invariant manifolds of a
	(Poincare) map,

    calculate and plot periodic solution of continuous- or
	discrete-time systems, and

    calculate and plot phase portraits of two-dimensional
	continuous-time systems.

The software is now available for distribution.  The complete source code
is included.  Ordering information on the software can be obtained by writing

    INSITE
    P.O. Box 9662
    Berkeley, CA, 94709-9662

--
O------------------------------------------------------------------------->
| Cliff Joslyn, Cybernetician at Large, cjoslyn@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu
| Systems Science, SUNY Binghamton, Box 1070, Binghamton NY 13901, USA
V All the world is biscuit shaped. . .

bilbo@trinity.berkeley.edu (Bill Baringer) (09/11/90)

In article <3971@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> cjoslyn@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) writes:

>    INSITE Software
>    P.O. Box 9662
>    Berkeley, CA, 94709-9662

I just wanted to mention that the phone number for the above company
is (415) 841-0315.

fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu (Paul Fishwick) (09/11/90)

In article <880@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu> schiebel@cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (Darrell Schiebel) writes:

>	Could anyone out there recomend dynamical system simulators,
>	especially public domain simulators?  I would really appreciate
>	any responses.
>

>	Many Thanks,
>
>	Darrell Schiebel
>	(schiebel@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu)
>	(UN027714@wvnvaxa.wvnet.edu)
>	(drs@baks.bell-atl.com)

You can try out the differential equation part of SimPack. Here is some
info on it. To get the package do an ftp according to these instructions:

* Archives available via FTP to bikini.cis.ufl.edu (128.227.224.1).
  Login as 'ftp', use your last name as the password, change
  directory to pub/simdigest. Do 'type binary' before any file xfers.
* Simulation Tools available by doing above and changing the
  directory to pub/simdigest/tools.

-----------------
Documentation on DEQ:

IMPORTANT: To take advantage of this software (DEQ), you need the following
on your UNIX system:

 (1) grtool - an interactive graphics plotting package for all plotting
     functions. grtool is in the simulation tools library at the University
     of Florida, and can be freely FTP'd. Follow the instructions by
     looking at the beginning of each Simulation Digest Issue
     (comp.simulation).

 (2) gcc - one of the primary source routines is written in ANSI C. The
     c compiler 'gcc' is available freely from the Gnu Free Software
     Foundation. See the file 'gnu.software.Z' also in the UF simulation
     library. This will give you information on how to get 'gcc'.

To make DEQ, do a 'make all'. Then you can run 'deq' from the
UNIX command line as follows:

%deq

You have the choice of entering one of two types of systems. Either

  (1) a single equation with high order terms (derivatives). Note
      that the system may be homogeneous or non-homogeneous, and that
      the left hand side of the equation must be the higher order
      term. Note the following notation: use x[1] for the first derivative
      of x with respect to time (i.e. x' or dx/dt), x[2] is the second
      derivative, and so on. x[0] is simply x.

  (2) a set of first order equations for an 'n'-dimensional system.
      You will be prompted for each equation in turn. Here x[1] means
      the first state variable. x[2] means the second state variable,
      and so on.

EXAMPLE 1
---------

An Example of a single equation is to enter:

  x[2] = -16*x[0] + 10*cos(3.7*t)

Note that this equation is x'' = -16x + 10cos(3.7t) using standard
notation. Try plotting this over time (always denoted as 't') by
specifying 't' as the x-axis variable, and x[0] as the y axis
variable to be plotted by grtool.

EXAMPLE 2
---------

An Example of the Lorenz System (Phase Plot) is to enter (note: left
hand sides of equations are prompted by DEQ):

  x[1]' = 10*(-x[1] + x[2])
  x[2]' = 28*x[1] - x[2] - x[1]*x[3]
  x[3]' = -2.666*x[3] + x[1]*x[2]

Try plotting x[1] vs. x[2] when prompted for this information.

| Prof. Paul A. Fishwick.... INTERNET: fishwick@bikini.cis.ufl.edu       |
| Dept. of Computer Science. UUCP: gatech!uflorida!fishwick              |
| Univ. of Florida.......... PHONE: (904)-392-1414                       |
| Bldg. CSE, Room 301....... FAX is available                            |
| Gainesville, FL 32611.....                                             |

MATKMB@lure.latrobe.edu.au (10/12/90)

ODE is an IBM PC simulator for continuous or discrete systems.

Features:
  Easy-to-use menus with mouse support.
  Equations entered in natural notation, stored in ASCII files.
  Automatic plotting, laser printer support.
  Several different ode algorithms, up to 6th order.
  Many examples included, including chaotic.
  Printed manual for registered users.

Versions 1 and 2 are used at about a dozen Australian universities.
Version 2.5 is due to be released in a few weeks.  Shareware version will
be available, registration price and distribution method yet to be decided.
If interested, please send a message to:

matkmb@lure.latrobe.edu.au.oz

or write to

Keith Briggs
PO Box 75
Heidelberg West
Australia 3081

You will be informed when ODE version 2.5 is ready.