[comp.theory.dynamic-sys] double pendulum. etc.

puchm@cutmcvax.cs.curtin.edu.au (RichardPuchmayer) (04/04/91)

    Dear dynamic system theorists :-),

        Where can I find the differential equations describing
        the behaviour of a double pendulum?

        Is it possible to construct these given only
        configuration anf mass of each link.  How about tripple,
        quadruple pendulums?  How about general articulated
        objects?

    Any help will be appreciated.

    Richard.
--
/-------------------------------------------+---------------------------------\
| Some of us are poets, some of us are not. | puchm@cutmcvax.cs.curtin.edu.au |

puchm@cutmcvax.cs.curtin.edu.au (RichardPuchmayer) (04/04/91)

    Dear dynamic system theorists :-),

        Where can I find the differential equations describing
        the behaviour of a double pendulum?

        Is it possible to construct these given only
        configuration anf mass of each link.  How about tripple,
        quadruple pendulums?  How about general articulated
        objects?

    Any help will be appreciated.

    Richard.

    PS: my mailer gave an error, so I am posting this again.
    PPS: I have no idea if this will turn up twice :^).
--
| Some of us are poets, some of us are not. | puchm@cutmcvax.cs.curtin.edu.au |
| Richard Puchmayer, Masters Student at     |         Sorry but I             |
| Curtin University of Western Australia    | don't know any other addresses  |
| I know nothing, so can hold no opinions for myself or others.....:-)        |

rthomson@mesa.dsd.es.com (Rich Thomson) (04/08/91)

In article <puchm.670765024@cutmcvax.cs.curtin.edu.au>
	puchm@cutmcvax.cs.curtin.edu.au (RichardPuchmayer) writes:
>        Where can I find the differential equations describing
>        the behaviour of a double pendulum?

I'm not dynamicist, but I am unsure what you mean by a "double
pendulum"; I can think of many physical systems that contain two
pendulums.  Would you describe it in more detail, if only for me?

							-- Rich
--
  ``Read my MIPS -- no new VAXes!!'' -- George Bush after sniffing freon
	    Disclaimer: I speak for myself, except as noted.

ghanem@venus.eng.buffalo.edu (roger g ghanem) (04/10/91)

the double pendulum is a classical problem in dynamics.
any book on the subject will have the development of the
associated equations of motion.  (e.g. Goldstein; Meirovitch).
Besides the equations of motion are not hard to derive.  Books on
multibody dynamics would have the development for the multi-pendulum.

R.G.

goodrich@mris.larc.nasa.gov (Mike Goodrich) (04/16/91)

In article <70001@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> ghanem@venus.eng.buffalo.edu (roger g ghanem) writes:

>the double pendulum is a classical problem in dynamics.
>any book on the subject will have the development of the

Just a comment to say that this problem is a classic example of the utility
of the Lagrangian formulation of dynamics and one should expect to see it
phrased as such instead of the more basic F = m a.

mike goodrich
goodrich@uxv.larc.nasa.gov