[comp.theory.dynamic-sys] Book Evaluations

nbrown@potomac.ads.com (Nathan Brown) (04/16/91)

Newsgroups: comp.theory.dynamic
Subject: Book Evaluation
Given money enough for only one book, which of the following would you
choose:  Fractals Everywhere--Barnesly ($45) OR Fractal
Geometry--Falconer ($70--ouch!)?  Currently leaning toward the latter.
It's more compact and it SEEMS to have a cleaner presentation of the
material. Thanks for any opinions.

--Nathan

--

Nathon Brown
Advanced Decision Systems	Internet:  nbrown@potomac.ads.com

edgar@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (04/17/91)

>Fractal Geometry--Falconer ($70--ouch!)?

I thought the list price is $39.95 ...

--
  Gerald A. Edgar
  Department of Mathematics             Bitnet:    EDGAR@OHSTPY

kmc@netcom.COM (Kevin McCarty) (04/19/91)

nbrown@potomac.ads.com (Nathan Brown) writes:

>Given money enough for only one book, which of the following would you
>choose:  Fractals Everywhere--Barnesly ($45) OR Fractal
>Geometry--Falconer ($70--ouch!)?  Currently leaning toward the latter.
>It's more compact and it SEEMS to have a cleaner presentation of the
>material. Thanks for any opinions.

>--Nathan

My copy of Falconer cost $33.95, not $70.  It's by far the better
book in my opinion.  More interesting mathematics exposition, wider
ranging.  Barnsley's book seems to play only one note-- he's got
IFS's on the brain.
--
Kevin McCarty			kmc@netcom.COM
				netcom!kmc@apple.com