[comp.theory.dynamic-sys] Periodic orbits from a one dimensional map

n335bv@tamuts.tamu.edu (Rajashekher Kesaraju) (05/15/91)

 I have a one dimensional return map, which has a single critical point.
How to find different periodic orbits present (symbolic dynamics?), from
the one dimensional map? Any help would be appreciated.

Rajashekher V. Kesaraju
n335bv@tamuts.tamu.edu
rvk7888@sigma.tamu.edu

bstewart@bnlux1.bnl.gov (Bruce Stewart) (05/16/91)

In article <16202@helios.TAMU.EDU> n335bv@tamuts.tamu.edu (Rajashekher Kesaraju) writes:

> I have a one dimensional return map, which has a single critical point.
>How to find different periodic orbits present (symbolic dynamics?), from
>the one dimensional map? Any help would be appreciated.
>
>Rajashekher V. Kesaraju
>n335bv@tamuts.tamu.edu
>rvk7888@sigma.tamu.edu

Have you looked at the book "Elementary Symbolic Dynamics and
Chaos in Dissipative Systems" by Hao Bai-lin, World Scientific
Publishing, 1989?  Many people have found this a very helpful
resource book.

scavo@cie.uoregon.edu (Tom Scavo) (05/16/91)

In article <1991May15.191343.19674@bnlux1.bnl.gov> bstewart@bnlux1.bnl.gov (Bruce Stewart) writes:
>In article <16202@helios.TAMU.EDU> n335bv@tamuts.tamu.edu (Rajashekher Kesaraju) writes:
>>
>> I have a one dimensional return map, which has a single critical point.
>>How to find different periodic orbits present (symbolic dynamics?), from
>>the one dimensional map? Any help would be appreciated.
>
>Have you looked at the book "Elementary Symbolic Dynamics and
>Chaos in Dissipative Systems" by Hao Bai-lin, World Scientific
>Publishing, 1989?  Many people have found this a very helpful
>resource book.

Have you transposed the author's name?  Isn't it Bai-lin Hao?
(The book has one of the most exhaustive bibliographies around,
btw.)

Tom Scavo
scavo@cie.uoregon.edu

bstewart@bnlux1.bnl.gov (Bruce Stewart) (05/17/91)

In article <1991May16.045523.17489@ariel.unm.edu> scavo@cie.uoregon.edu (Tom Scavo) writes:
>In article <1991May15.191343.19674@bnlux1.bnl.gov> bstewart@bnlux1.bnl.gov (Bruce Stewart) writes:
>>In article <16202@helios.TAMU.EDU> n335bv@tamuts.tamu.edu (Rajashekher Kesaraju) writes:
>>>

>Have you transposed the author's name?  Isn't it Bai-lin Hao?

To westerners who insist of placing the family name last, it
would indeed be Bai-lin Hao. Orientals prefer family name first:
Hao Bai-lin is how it appears on the title page. Anyone
trying to locate the book should look under H for Hao.