[comp.theory.dynamic-sys] what's a strange attractor?

32kaiser@gw.wmich.edu (06/23/91)

Guys..

What's a good book that describes in layman's term
and in detail what a strange attractor is

Chaos is very facinating stuff to me
and it reminds me of Isaax Asimov's Foundation Series (highly recommended)

Thanks fellas
Matthew

bstewart@bnlux1.bnl.gov (Bruce Stewart) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun22.152801.673@gw.wmich.edu> 32kaiser@gw.wmich.edu writes:
>Guys..
>
>What's a good book that describes in layman's term
>and in detail what a strange attractor is

Science journalism (of a high order):
James Gleick, Chaos: making a new science, Viking, 1987.

Innovative visual text, calculus not required:
R.H. Abraham and C.D. Shaw, Dynamics: the Geometry of Behavior,
Aerial Press, Santa Cruz, Ca, 4 vols, 1982-88