[comp.sys.handhelds] Comma seperators on 28s?

nljg0470@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (11/22/89)

	Howdy folks.  I got a 28s and I've course I think that it's great.
BUT, I only wish that it would seperate large numbers with a comma every 3
orders of magnitude like the 15 does.  Switching display modes is a drag.
Have I missed something in the manuals?  I only did a quick look.  Is there
a control flag to turn this on or did HP just figure it wasn't a big deal?

Anybody know?

					Thanks,
					Nick Jasper
					--
					nljg0470@uxa.cso.uiuc

IMS103@PSUVM.BITNET (Ian) (11/22/89)

In article <235800003@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, nljg0470@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>        Howdy folks.  I got a 28s and I've course I think that it's great.
>BUT, I only wish that it would seperate large numbers with a comma every 3
>orders of magnitude like the 15 does.  Switching display modes is a drag.
>Have I missed something in the manuals?  I only did a quick look.  Is there
>a control flag to turn this on or did HP just figure it wasn't a big deal?

Easy.  Try entering (123456,7890) into the 28S.
It it put in commas it would look like (123,456,789,0)

Ian Smith (ims103@psuvm.bitnet)

billw@hpcvra.CV.HP.COM (Bill Wickes) (11/28/89)

There is no hidden "show-digit-separators" capability on the 28.

Because of the 28's free-form command line entry, complete with
cursor moves, and because (for example) SIN(123,456) is ambiguous--is
it SIN(123456) or SIN(123+456i)?--the calculator can not handle
digit separators in entry.  It could display separators when numbers
are displayed on the stack (although there are certain messy
issues about complex numbers and arrays).  But the genereal philosphy
on the 28 is "don't show anything you can't key in as shown," so
the display digit separators were not implemented.

Bill Wickes

nljg0470@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (11/30/89)

	Oh yeh, I hadn't thought about confusion with complex numbers.
	Thanks for the explanation.

	Nick