[comp.sys.handhelds] Saving on batteries

lien@plains.UUCP (Craig Lien) (12/08/89)

For the hp-28S

I'm wondndering, would the heme of my battery saving feature actually
be worth the time of figuring it out and typing it in.

The scheme:  Put the calculator in SLOW (the compliment of fast)
             and then turn off the LCD.

Is it conceivable that the above scheme actually would save on my
batteries?

Thanks,
Craig.
--

           We've come a long way since the world was flat.
                       lien@plains.nodak.edu

peraino@gmu90x.gmu.edu (peraino) (12/08/89)

>From lien@plains.UUCP Thu Dec  7 14:56:37 1989
>Subject: Saving on batteries

>I'm wondndering, would the heme of my battery saving feature actually
>be worth the time of figuring it out and typing it in.
>
>The scheme:  Put the calculator in SLOW (the compliment of fast)
>             and then turn off the LCD.
>
>Is it conceivable that the above scheme actually would save on my
>batteries?
>
>Thanks,
>Craig.

     If you could hold off on your research, I have already done it for you!
Sometime after next week, I will be releasing an article on battery consumption
in general. I have already done the specific test you speak of, and have
used it in an application that I have not released yet (the alarm system).
To answer your query (I am hoping it wasn't a rhetorical question), you will
only cut battery consumption by 1/3 using this method; speed versus
power consumption is not a linear scale. I will be posting as soon as I can
find a decent way of posting quattro graphs in an ascii form so all can
really read them. Stay tuned everyone!

       Bob Peraino                   UUCP    : uunet!pyrdc!gmu90x!peraino
 George Mason University             INTERNET: peraino@gmuvax.gmu.edu
UCIS, Thompson Hall, rm 2 <-         BITNET  : peraino@gmuvax
  4400 University Drive     \        PHONE   : (703)-323-2549
   Fairfax, VA  22030        \- Yeah, they put us in the basement, too.