[comp.sys.handhelds] Portfolio info anybody?

clwa@me.chalmers.se (12/09/89)

Is there anybody out there that has any indepth information about the
Atari Portfolio? I am interested in how to interface with the outside
world via serial or parallel communication.
If you have any information please let me know, thanks in advance.

                     Claes Walther
                     CLWA@Gamma.Me.Chalmers.Se
                     Chalmers University of Technology

***** We don't do disclaimers in Sweden, we only spell wrong *****

jwt@atari.UUCP (Jim Tittsler) (12/10/89)

clwa@me.chalmers.se writes:

>Is there anybody out there that has any indepth information about the
>Atari Portfolio? I am interested in how to interface with the outside
>world via serial or parallel communication.

There are plug on interfaces for both (1) RS-232C serial and (2) parallel
printer.

In addition, if you were really ambitious, it would be possible to build
your own interface for the Portfolio expansion connector.  The mechanical
details of doing this compactly/sturdily would be the most difficult part
of the project.

Jim Tittsler, Systems Engineer, Atari Corp.  {uunet!portal, ames}!atari!jwt

steveh@abbott.mips.com (Stephen C. Hill) (12/19/89)

With regard to the Atari Portfolio, while I was recovering in the hospital
a friend brought one by.  It felt good and looked good, but my friend mentioned
that the memory was limited to 32k (?).  Since most DOS applications usually
expect the defacto 640K to be lurking out there, has anyone got any good words
about the Portfolio as a "real" computer.  I wouldn't need MUCH, but I would
like to run my database (AskSam 4.1) and some comm program.  How real IS this box?

Steve

--
Stephen C. Hill, CDP
{ames,prls,pyramid,decwrl}!mips!steveh  or  steveh@mips.com

Time is Nature's method of keeping us from bumping into ourselves.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>