[comp.sys.handhelds] HP28S: Babelfish

alonzo@microsoft.UUCP (Alonzo Gariepy) (11/24/89)

In <17980004@hpcvra.CV.HP.COM> billw@hpcvra.CV.HP.COM (Bill Wickes) writes:
> Whoa--where's my Babelfish?  I thought the 28 opcode mnemonics were
> "standard" thanks to the publication of the HP-71 IDS.  If so, why
> are we inventing new ones?  If not, then it's a shame, given that
> the operating system symbol names have not been published, and
> one set of nonstandardized names is enough.

Alas, there is no HP-28 IDS.  The HP-71 instruction set is almost the same,
but the mnemonics are poorly conceived.  I have invented new ones that are
better in most respects.  So little HP-28 assembly code has been published
that one cannot point to a de facto standard.  The calculator's lack of I/O
and programming tools means that hex machine code is pretty much it.

I have been told that within a few months we will see an assembler for the 28
written in portable C.  As the first real support for machine code development,
I expect that this program will set the standard.  In answer to your question,
I think it would only be appropriate to name the assembler Babelfish :-).

Your reference to system symbol names has got me thinking.  We can write a
little utility to convert Eric Toonen's SYSEVAL map into an include file and
thenceforth refer to these addresses by their names.

Alonzo Gariepy
alonzo@microsoft

smithj@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Jeremy Smith) (12/26/89)

Message #2019 "INT HP Handhelds"
Date: 29-Nov-89 20:47
From: Nick Reid	<Nick.Reid@f159.n253.z2.FidoNet.org>
To:   Fred van der Windt
Subj: Re: HP28S: Babelfish
Previous Reply is Message #739.

Hi Fred!
> We should *NOT* reinvent a new set of mnemonics, even if someone
> thinks they are better, nicer or whatever. We have been through this
> with the 41 and it didn't do anybody any good.

That is certainly the case, but I'm less than convinced that those new kids
on the block can hear you.  Maybe Jeremy will cross-post to ensure it?

Nick

---
 * Origin: No Zone - London UK GMT+0 - @FidoNet (2:253/159)