[comp.sys.handhelds] Note takers

pjd@alpha.ces.cwru.edu (dr. funk) (11/10/89)

I am evaluating several alternatives for a "notebook" size
machine primarily for notetaking at meetings, etc. The
Atari Portfolio looks interesting and was fun to play with.
The other major contender is the Radio Shack (!) WP-2 word
processor. Here's just a few observations...

 I would have bought the Portfolio on the spot IF the built-in
 software supported file transfer via the serial port. It does
 not and as a Mac user (no parallel port on an SE!) this will
 create a pain in the neck. I want a simple, direct transfer
 capability. The keyboard is not bad for a two finger typist
 (which I am), but forget touch typing. Finally, the RAM cards
 are Mitsubishi (sic) format and are available elsewhere albeit
 in small quantities.

 The WP-2 is not in the stores yet, but "any day now." Although
 this is a larger format machine, the keyboard is full size with
 certain keys in the right places and an 8 line by 80 column
 display. It will include a word processor, calendar, etc. but
 no spreadsheet. It will also have a RAM/ROM card capability.
 RS-232 and parallel port will be built-in. 32Kb is built-in
 with a 32Kb expansion option for $50. (Cheesh! Let's find out
 what chip and skip this crapola.)

A recent article in the Tandy rag (PCM ?) states that the WP-2
is Z-80 based (5 MHz) and will be able to execute programs from
RAM/ROM card. (Anybody got any old Z-80 code laying around?)

The machine appeared in a sales flyer here at a sale price of $300.
Not bad, but I seem to be suffering from a case of the "vapours."

paul j. drongowski               usenet: {decvax,sun,att}!cwjcc!pjd!pjd
case western reserve university  csnet:  pjd@alpha.ces.cwru.edu

hsu@eng.umd.edu (Dave "bd" Hsu) (11/14/89)

In article <880@cwjcc.CWRU.Edu> pjd@alpha.ces.cwru.edu (dr. funk) writes:
> The WP-2 is not in the stores yet, but "any day now."
>A recent article in the Tandy rag (PCM ?) states that the WP-2
>is Z-80 based (5 MHz) and will be able to execute programs from
>RAM/ROM card. (Anybody got any old Z-80 code laying around?)

The WP2 hit local shacks over the weekend, and a quick look around the
thing reveals the following:

It does come with an RS232 and parallel printer ports standard.  Memory
options included a 32k internal expansion, and an outboard memory expander
that fits into a thin slot at the left of the unit.  Display has a nasty
green cast to it, and there is no backlight provision.  Keys feel usable.

I only perused the owner's manual for a few minutes and could find no
mention of running programs out of RAM.  There is a simple transfer protocol
included, and what appears to be a pretty dumb terminal program, and some
simple modem control software included, but I couldn't find any mention of
a development kit or programming reference.  The word processor itself
seems to be pretty nice for a tote-it-along device, and has a fairly friendly
help utility.

Could be a "fun toy" contender, if it's programmable.

-dave

--
Dave Hsu	UMd EE Computer Facility	hsu@eng.umd.edu

"A program is like a nose.  Sometimes it runs, sometimes it blows."

news@udenva.cair.du.edu (netnews) (12/07/89)

I bought the Atari Portfolio.  I LOVE it.  The product manager from
Atari told me that file transfer software for the Portfolio would
probably be available in January.  Could also be vapor...

STRAUS@applelink.apple.com (Jim Straus) (12/08/89)

In article <12511@udenva.cair.du.edu> news@udenva.cair.du.edu (netnews)
writes:
> I bought the Atari Portfolio.  I LOVE it.  The product manager from
> Atari told me that file transfer software for the Portfolio would
> probably be available in January.  Could also be vapor...

I am assuming that you mean that the file transfer will be for the serial
port as the
parallel port comes with file transfer software.  In that case, I have
written a terminal
program for the Portfolio with XModem file transfer capabilities.  It was
being distributed
as shareware on CI$, but I am working with Atari, and I believe they will
make it available
for free.

ganoe@cs.arizona.edu (Bill Ganoe) (12/15/89)

I got an Atari Portfolio a couple of weeks ago, and it included all the
necessary file transfer facilities -- but it uses the PC parallel port
instead of the serial port.  If you buy the parallel interface for the
Portfolio it comes with a 3.5" and a 5 1/4" disk of software to run
on a PC.  The software does everything necessary to make your PC's
parallel port bidirectional.  Outside of squeezing my fingers a bit
I'm really happy with this little puppy.

--
> Standard    | William H. Ganoe             bill@tucson.sie.arizona.edu
  disclaimer <| SIE Dept; Univ. of Arizona; Tucson, AZ 85721; USA
               NASA: National Acronym Stockpile Authority

garyf@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Gary Friedman) (12/16/89)

In article <16168@megaron.cs.arizona.edu> ganoe@cs.arizona.edu (Bill Ganoe) writes:

>I got an Atari Portfolio a couple of weeks ago,

>The software does everything necessary to make your PC's
>parallel port bidirectional.

You can turn a PC paralel port bidirectional?  With SOFTWARE?  How is
this possible?

--
Gary Friedman                 Jet Propulsion Laboratory - NASA
4800 Oak Grove Drive, Pasadena, CA.  91109      (818) 354-0410

jwt@atari.UUCP (Jim Tittsler) (12/17/89)

garyf@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Gary Friedman) writes:
>In article <16168@megaron.cs.arizona.edu> ganoe@cs.arizona.edu (Bill Ganoe) writes:
>>I got an Atari Portfolio a couple of weeks ago, ...
>>The software does everything necessary to make your PC's
>> parallel port bidirectional.
>You can turn a PC paralel port bidirectional?  With SOFTWARE?  How is
>this possible?

The software does not make any of the bits of the parallel port bidirectional
(although this is possible with many integrated chip PC clone chip solutions)
but instead uses the available input and output bits of the standard parallel
port to form a bi-directional link to/from the Portfolio.

Jim Tittsler, Systems Engineer, Atari Corp.

smasters@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (Shawn Masters) (12/17/89)

The software that comes with the Portfilio's interface does not use the
parallel port in parallel.  It says in the manual that the transfer is
done serial.  They just chose one line for reponse from the printer to
be input into the PC.  How they did the timing is unclear.
	By the way, the original IBM PC's parallel port is
bi-directional.  The PC tech manual that came with IBM's original proto
board says that it was made this was to support communications and a
variety of interfacing applications.

Shawn C. Masters
George Mason University

smasters@gmuvax2.gmu.edu

adams@hpfelg.HP.COM (John Adams) (12/30/89)

/ hpfelg:comp.sys.handhelds / pjd@alpha.ces.cwru.edu (dr. funk) / 11:22 am  Nov  9, 1989 /

[...]

----------

adams@hpfelg.HP.COM (John Adams) (12/30/89)

  Oops, sorry!

  John Adams

STRAUS@applelink.apple.com (Jim Straus) (01/04/90)

In article <3830004@hpfelg.HP.COM> adams@hpfelg.HP.COM (John Adams) writes:
>  software supported file transfer via the serial port. It does
>  not and as a Mac user (no parallel port on an SE!) this will
>  create a pain in the neck. I want a simple, direct transfer
>  capability.
The Atari dealers should have now (or soon) a public domain terminal
program for the Portfolio that includes XModem file transfer capabilities.
The program is <3K, so it is fine being always resident.  If the dealer
doesn't have it yet, check on CI$ or GEnie.  It works fine with the Mac
(which is what I use).
   -jim straus