[comp.sys.handhelds] HPREAD

paul+@andrew.cmu.edu (Paul J. Dujmich) (02/14/90)

I would like to report that Mark Adler's program, "HPREAD" ver 1.2
also works fine with HP41's too. I purchased an IR module for
my 41CX and let her fly. I was able to upload all my HP41 programs
to my AT clone with 0 errors each time.
The IR module was $47.00 from Elek-Tek.

Paul Dujmich

a634@mindlink.UUCP (Rob Prior) (02/15/90)

Could someone post the port adresses for the serial port and the games port on
the IBM PC sometime?  I would prefer to get the data from the HPREAD program
through one of the above instead of the parallel port.  If someone could post
the address that I would give as a command line parameter to HPREAD I would
appreciate it.  Oh, and the pin that that address corresponds to would help
too... :)  (in case you haven't guessed, i'm not as technically oriented as
some of the people that read this group... :)

Rob
|Rob Prior - President, Still Animation Logo Design, Burnaby, BC|
|            Mail to: Rob_Prior@cc.sfu.ca (try this first)      |
|   ___  _        or: a634@mindlink.uucp  (send here only as    |
|  /__  /_\           a last resort...this one isn't free :)    |
|____/ /   \____________________________________________________|

wd4fsu@kd4nc.UUCP (owen adair) (02/15/90)

In article <gZq5Qsy00UhW824UgX@andrew.cmu.edu> paul+@andrew.cmu.edu (Paul J. Dujmich) writes:
>I would like to report that Mark Adler's program, "HPREAD" ver 1.2

**PLEASE oh PLEASE would *someone* post version 1.2? I (we) have been waiting
patiently for some time now.....Maybe I have had brain fade or something, but
I never saw it....

Thanks!!   :-)!

madler@tybalt.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) (02/16/90)

Well, that does seem odd that you never saw version 1.2 (or presumably 1.3)
since I posted both more than once.  (I think I posted 1.3 three times).
Does anyone out there know why these postings don't end up some places some
of the time?  Do some sites reject articles that are too long?

Also, I ftp'ed hpread 1.3 to gmuvax2.gmu.edu.  It remained in the "new"
directory for some time, but now is gone from new, and is not in hp28,
where I expected it to end up.  Is the person who maintains hp28 at
gmuvax2 out there and listening?

Thanks to Pete Ashdown for posting the source and compiled version of
hpread 1.3.  Pete, could you tell me your experiences with the program?
Also, I will incorporate your indirect suggestion of optionally beeping
upon starting a transfer in the next version (assuming there is one).

I will send a copy of the source directly to Owen Adair, in case not getting
hpread through the newgroup is a consistent problem.

Mark Adler
madler@hamlet.caltech.edu

pete%slack.uucp@cs.utah.edu (Pete Ashdown) (02/17/90)

Mark Adler writes:
>Thanks to Pete Ashdown for posting the source and compiled version of
>hpread 1.3.  Pete, could you tell me your experiences with the program?
>Also, I will incorporate your indirect suggestion of optionally beeping
>upon starting a transfer in the next version (assuming there is one).
>Mark Adler
>madler@hamlet.caltech.edu

It would be nice to have more translation.  That is, the translating of
the begin program character to << and the end to >> and the boolean operators
to != >= <= and so forth.  You could go to extremes and offer a translation
for all the other odd characters, but I doubt that is necesary.  Another
needed translation would be the arrow to ->.

Another thing that bothers me is the 3 second timeout and the error saving.
There should be an option to lengthen or eliminate the timeout, so you could
blast whole directories to your PC while eating a pizza somewhere else.  Of
course, the error correction problem would be a problem in this case.  IMHO,
if there is an imbedded error, the transmission should be tossed instead of
sent to the output.  Trailing errors have caused me no real problems.  A
program for the HP could be written in conjunction with the reader.  It would
take the CHK of the desired program, + that to the name of the program, then
RCL the program and + that to the name and CHK.  Then Alonzo's ESC trick
(which should be stripped by the HPREAD program as an option) would be used
to send the whole thing off to the IR.  If errors were received, HPREAD would
simply log the name of the program and list the log when it was finished.
Graphics support would also be swell, but I don't know if anyone short of
Alonzo and Toonen could manage to translate the code :-).

This of course would mean a lot of extra code for HPREAD, but you did ask :-).
By the way Mark, my $5 is on the way.  Best value I've ever purchased.  Any
suggestions for implementing HPREAD on an Amiga?  For anyone else who is
interested, I've nearly completed the HP font (with all the special chars)
for the Amiga.  I use HPREAD on the IBM, then Cross-DOS it to my Amiga to
display everything.
"People should be beat up for stating their beliefs."  - They Might Be Giants
This is to certify and promulgate American Family Publisher's intent to award
 TWENTY MILLION DOLLARS to PETE ASHDOWN!  Yippee!  UseNet is on me everyone!
[pete@slack.uucp]       [...utah-cs!i-core!slack!pete]        [slack=AMIGA!!]

madler@tybalt.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) (02/17/90)

Using HPREAD with an IBM PC game port: connect the detector output to
pin 2, power to pin 1, and ground to pin 4, all on the game port's DB-15
connector.  Then use port 201 and mask 10, so the command looks like:

     hpread 201 10 /options >outfile

where options are hpread command options (use "hpread /h" to see them)
and outfile is the name of the output file.

I would appreciate it if anyone who tries this lets me know how it goes.
Thanks.

Mark Adler
madler@hamlet.caltech.edu

alonzo@microsoft.UUCP (Alonzo GARIEPY) (02/18/90)

In article <3774@kd4nc.UUCP> wd4fsu@kd4nc.UUCP (owen adair) writes:
> **PLEASE oh PLEASE would *someone* post version 1.2? I (we) have been waiting
> patiently for some time now.....Maybe I have had brain fade or something, but
> I never saw it....

Have you all been sending your five dollars to the producer of this
excellent shareware for the version you are using now?  I did, and he
emailed me his latest release free.

In file <hpread.c>, it is written:
- This program is user supported (shareware), which means that users
- are expected to make a (modest) contribution of $5 to the author.
- The check or money order should be made out to Mark Adler, and
- sent to:
-		Mark Adler
-		P.O. Box 60998
-		Pasadena, CA 91116