[comp.sys.handhelds] Battery Change Time.

csmith@plains.UUCP (Carl Smith) (02/21/90)

When I told a friend of mine that I was getting an HP-28S he told me to
practice taking the batteries out and putting them back in before I put
any programs into it, so I would be able to do it within the one minute
time, later when it was full of valuable stuff.

The very first time I couldn't get the third battery out, and it took me
about 3 minutes, and I got a memory lost.   During the 4 or 5 times I
did this, I found that my HP will hold the memory for almost two minutes
without batteries.

Another curiosity.  After having my HP for only a month, I got a low
battery indicator, so I replaced the batteries.  Then I tested the old
ones and two measured 1.4 volts, and the third measured 0.3 volts.
obviously it was a defective battery..........

                    Carl Smith   (no fancy signoff :)

hsu@eng.umd.edu (Dave "bd" Hsu) (02/21/90)

In article <3504@plains.UUCP> csmith@plains.UUCP (Carl Smith) writes:
>The very first time I couldn't get the third battery out, and it took me
>about 3 minutes, and I got a memory lost.

WAC Mier-J. in his book mentions something about stronger springs in
newer 28S'...I bought mine last September and still found that the
third Duracell stuck when I changed the batteries last week.

For the record, I grab my calculator at the joint, face in a safe
direction, and use a slinging motion to eject the third battery.
Sends that sucker flying every time.

-dave

--
Dave Hsu	 Systems Research Center
hsu@eng.umd.edu  The Maryversity of Uniland, College Park, MD 20742-3311

"We plan ahead.  That way, we don't do anything right now."

yap@me.utoronto.ca (Davin Yap) (02/22/90)

hsu@eng.umd.edu (Dave "bd" Hsu) writes:

>In article <3504@plains.UUCP> csmith@plains.UUCP (Carl Smith) writes:
>>The very first time I couldn't get the third battery out, and it took me
>>about 3 minutes, and I got a memory lost.

>For the record, I grab my calculator at the joint, face in a safe
>direction, and use a slinging motion to eject the third battery.
>Sends that sucker flying every time.

I complained to HP about not being able to get the batteries out of mine
and they assured me that I wasn't "smacking" it hard enough :-)  .
It's reassuring to know that they designed these things to be smacked!

davin
--

frankw@hpcvra.CV.HP.COM (Frank Wales) (02/23/90)

In some article Davin Yap (yap@me.utoronto.ca) writes:
>I complained to HP about not being able to get the batteries out of [my HP28]
>and they assured me that I wasn't "smacking" it hard enough :-)  .
>It's reassuring to know that they designed these things to be smacked!

Ah, but is it reassuring to know that they're designed such that they
*must* be smacked?  :-}
--
Frank Wales, Guest of HP Corvallis,  [frank@zen.co.uk || frankw@hpcvra.hp.com]
Zengrange Ltd., Greenfield Rd., LEEDS, England, LS9 8DB. (+44) 532 489048 x217

) ) (02/23/90)

csmith@plains.UUCP (Carl Smith) writes:
>The very first time I couldn't get the third battery out, and it took me
>about 3 minutes, and I got a memory lost.   During the 4 or 5 times I
>did this, I found that my HP will hold the memory for almost two minutes
>without batteries.

This is odd.  I once (yes, *only* once!) had a memory lost.  Being the
cautious sort, I wanted to drain my hp28s completely of all power so
that it word come up completely in default state (an extreme cold
boot).  To do this, I removed the batteries overnight.

The next morning, I put them back in.  Surprise!  Everything was still
there!  Obviously the batteries had not been out long enough.  So I
tried 24 hours.  Everything was still there.  Finally, I left them out
for 48 hours.  When I replaced the batteries, everything was
(finally!) cleared.

Maybe it takes a while to charge up the internal backup battery?  Also
you said you found a defective third battery.  Maybe this kept the
internal battery from being fully recharged.

					.oO Chris Oo.
--
Christopher Lishka 608-262-4485  "Somebody said to me, `But the Beatles were
Wisconsin State Lab. of Hygiene  antimaterialistic.'  That's a huge myth.  John