[comp.sys.handhelds] HP-48 memory scanner

gt1246c@prism.gatech.EDU (Warren Furlow) (03/04/90)

The HP-48SX is GREAT!  I think this machine is what the 28 should have been.
I would have been very disappointed with a fold out design.  One neat thing
is it can display a running clock while on.  The rubber feet are cleverly
designed so they are inserted into deep slots and require no glue.  I
discovered this while looking for the disassembly screws.  Apparently
this machine has the same 'factory sealed' assembly as the 28 and cannot be
taken apart without mangling it.  Very annoying.

Anyway, I have found a memory scanner and would like to pass on the
details of it.

The memory scanner is activated as follows:
Go into test mode:  Press and hold ON, press D, release ON.
Press backarrow.  You should now see something in the following format:
AAAAA:DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
The AAAAA is the 5 hex digits of the address and the DD..D is the 16 hex
digits of the data starting at that address.

The following keys cause the following actions:

KEY          Address
1/X          F0A8C:0000000000000000  (apparently a constant)
DEL          C0000:7B7B7B7B7B7B7B7B  (apparently a constant)
EEX          80000:7B7B7B7B7B7B7B7B  (apparently a constant)
+/-          F000A      (data changes)
ENTER        00100:8x00yyyy04008EC0
             This one is especially interesting.  Each time ENTER is pressed,
             yyyy changes randomly, it would appear.  x changes but I don't
             know when.  The rest seems to be a constant.  The real interesting
             stuff happens when one of the softkeys is pressed.  D, for
             instance, screws up the pixels of the displayed data on the first
             press, darkens the contrast on the second and on the third, causes
             a cool screen fade.  The screen starts out all dark, and gradually
             lightens starting from the left.  Looks neat anyway.
EVAL         Displays the version number and copyright notice

up arrow     +1000h      (pressing and holding any of the following causes
down arrow   -1000h       them to auto repeat)
divide       -100h
multiply     +100h
subtract     +1
add          -1
decimal      +10h
0-9, softkeys, add  +1

SPC          auto scan mode +10 hex

Auto scan mode increments by 10 hex about 16 times a second.
While in this mode, pressing the ON key halts the scan but may display
garbage since it looks like it does not always fully update the screen.
Pressing and holding ON, pressing MTH and then releasing ON will stop
the scan for 16 seconds.

To terminate test mode, press and hold ON, press C, release ON.

hsu@eng.umd.edu (Dave "bd" Hsu) (03/06/90)

In article <6639@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt1246c@prism.gatech.EDU (Warren Furlow) writes:
>The HP-48SX is GREAT!  I think this machine is what the 28 should have been.
>I would have been very disappointed with a fold out design.

Whoa, what an awesome device.  Maryland Book Exchange just got theirs
over the weekend.

I am disappointed with the keyboard layout; unlike Warren, I would
rather have seen a fold-out design.  The new layout is really pushing
the limits of usability, but I think this will simply drive 48 owners
into editing on a PC and downloading code as needed.  Unless somebody
comes up with a serial keyboard...

The expansion cards are actually cards, like midget playing cards, with
a connector running completely across one end.  The salesdweeb was
unable to comment on the future possibility of IL cards and the like.

Dang...where's my credit card?

-dave

--
Dave Hsu	 Systems Research Center, Building 115    (301) 454 8867
hsu@eng.umd.edu  The Maryversity of Uniland, College Park, MD 20742-3311

"We plan ahead.  That way, we don't do anything right now."