[comp.sys.handhelds] HP printer query

mnelson@vmsa.oac.uci.edu (03/09/90)

	one extremely quick question:  What are the differences between
the HP82240A and HP82240B printers?  Will I be very depressed when I plunk
down my $300 for a 48sx and find that I will also need to replace my
printer?
	thanx...   -matt

  Matt Nelson, Physics Dept., University of California, Irvine, CA 92717
  (714)856-6496  internet: nelson@psroot.ps.uci.edu   bitnet: mnelson@uci

lorenh@hpcvra.CV.HP.COM (Loren Heisey) (03/10/90)

 mnelson@vmsa.oac.uci.edu writes:
>	one extremely quick question:  What are the differences between
>the HP82240A and HP82240B printers?  Will I be very depressed when I plunk
>down my $300 for a 48sx and find that I will also need to replace my
>printer?

The HP82240A printer can be used with the HP48. The HP48 has a function,
OLDPRT, which essentially remaps most of the HP48 characters to the
characters in the HP82240A. However there are 24 characters in the HP48
character set which are not in the HP82240A for which the printer prints a
special character in substitution.

The HP82240B has the functionality of the HP82240A with two main additions.
The first is it has both the Roman 8 character set used in previous HP
calculators (HP19, HP28, HP41 IR module, etc) and the ISO 8859/1 character
set of the HP48. The second is it times out to a low power mode after about
10 minutes of inactivity when running on batteries. An LED indicator was
added to indicate when the printer is active.