[comp.sys.handhelds] Casio BOSS serial port

javoskamp@daisy.waterloo.edu (Jeff Voskamp) (03/09/90)

I have a Casio BOSS 7500 and was contemplating trying to connect it up
to my Atari ST via RS232.  I know that Casion makes an adapter (with software)
for PCs and compatibles, but I don't want to pay $125+ for a disk of software
that won't work on my machine.  Does anyone know the "pinout" for the stereo
submini jack?  I think I can take it from there.

Thanks,

Jeff Voskamp
"I think we're in trouble."
	"No, I'm in trouble - you're invulnerable." - My Secret Identity
bang path: ...{!uunet,...}!watmath!daisy!javoskamp
domain   : javoskamp@daisy.uwaterloo.ca or javoskamp@daisy.waterloo.cdn

mdapoz@hybrid.UUCP (Mark Dapoz) (03/11/90)

In article <21774@watdragon.waterloo.edu> javoskamp@daisy.waterloo.edu (Jeff Voskamp) writes:
>I have a Casio BOSS 7500 and was contemplating trying to connect it up
>to my Atari ST via RS232.  I know that Casion makes an adapter (with software)
>for PCs and compatibles, but I don't want to pay $125+ for a disk of software
>that won't work on my machine.  Does anyone know the "pinout" for the stereo
>submini jack?  I think I can take it from there.

I have the Travelling Software cable and software for my SF-9000.  I once opened
up the cable to see what's in there and it appears to be a simple op-amp
circuit which converts the lines comming out of the BOSS to proper RS232
voltage levels (ie. +12, -12).  As far as I could tell, the stero submini jack
provides the transmit, receive and ground signals.  DON'T try connecting those
up directly to the RS232 port or you will probably damage the BOSS.  As for the
software, I was in the same situation you are in since I only have a 68010
based unix machine.  I've spent a fair bit of time reverse engineering the
BOSS protocol and implementing a C library for use with the BOSS.  I've
successfully managed to transfer data into and out of the BOSS using my code.
Once I complete the package (it'll consist of a BOSS protocol spec document,
C library and contex free grammar for programming the BOSS) I will be posting
all the source, so please don't send mail asking for it.  I expect to have it
done within a month.  You will however still need an interface cable.

--
  Mark Dapoz  (mdapoz@hybrid.UUCP)  ...uunet!mnetor!hybrid!mdapoz

I remind you that humans are only a tiny minority in this galaxy.
	   -- Spock, "The Apple," stardate 3715.6.