[comp.sys.handhelds] GROB2TIF in the Serial I/F Kit

Jake-S@cup.portal.com (Jake G Schwartz) (03/11/90)

On the floppy that accompanies the 82208 Serial I/F Kit is a nifty program
called GROB2TIF which allows conversion of graphic object files (which have
been uploaded to a PC) to TIFF (tag image format files) format so they may
be displayed on a PC screen or incorporated into other documents. I thought
that a limitation in that program should be mentioned here.
   The instructions say that graphic objects must be uploaded in ASCII
format in order for GROB2TIF to work properly (which is true). However,
when the HP48 formats for ASCII transfer, it becomes a memory grabber,
requiring something like 7.5 times the size of the object in empty RAM  to
be available as scratch. Thus, with a machine devoid of everything but the
GROB to be transfered, the largest that can be sent in ASCII is approxi-
mately 3.9K bytes in size, corresponding roughly to a 250 by 125 PICT size.
GROBs larger than 3.9K yield "SEND Error: Insufficient Memory" when attempted
to be sent to the PC in ASCII mode.
   HP is aware of this limitation, and knows that a version of GROB2TIF which
can convert files uploaded in BINARY would be much more useful.
Jake Schwartz

davin@me.utoronto.ca (Davin Yap) (03/12/90)

Jake-S@cup.portal.com (Jake G Schwartz) writes:

>called GROB2TIF which allows conversion of graphic object files (which have
>been uploaded to a PC) to TIFF (tag image format files) format so they may
>be displayed on a PC screen or incorporated into other documents. I thought
>that a limitation in that program should be mentioned here.
>   The instructions say that graphic objects must be uploaded in ASCII
>format in order for GROB2TIF to work properly (which is true). However,
>when the HP48 formats for ASCII transfer, it becomes a memory grabber,
>requiring something like 7.5 times the size of the object in empty RAM  to
>be available as scratch. Thus, with a machine devoid of everything but the
>GROB to be transfered, the largest that can be sent in ASCII is approxi-
>mately 3.9K bytes in size, corresponding roughly to a 250 by 125 PICT size.

Yes, but I assume you can still transfer epson compatible graphs (which
are binary) that are much larger than that, No?  If so, then tucked away
in some partition of one disk of one machine somewhere around here I've
got a utility program that converts epson compatible graphics to
Postscript (I've even tried it).  I'm sure I'll get plenty of requests
for it, so I'll post it here (I guess that's proper) when I get some
time, that is, unless people protest against C source postings to this
group :-).  If you want to include the graphs in other documents then
you'll need encapsulated postscript - yup, got something for that too
(would I leave you with half a solution :-).  Caveat:  I haven't tried
the program that calculates the %%BoundingBox esp. with bitmaps so I
don't know if it works.

Regards, Davin
Leave nothing to         |   Davin Yap, Mechanical Engineering, U of Toronto
    the imagination of   |davin@me.utoronto.ca        davin@me.utoronto.bitnet
           those without.|         ...{pyramid,uunet}!utai!utme!davin