[comp.sys.handhelds] hp28s batteries

lien@plains.UUCP (Craig Lien) (02/02/90)

I bought my last set of batteries at Best Buy, they have lasted quite
awhile.  Being in fast mode for everything except OFF and memeory reset.
A friend of mine buys his regularly at the Varsity Mart.  He gets mallory
and I get sony.

I hope this helps,
Craig.
--

           We've come a long way since the world was flat.
                       lien@plains.nodak.edu

robert@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu (Robert Thompson) (02/06/90)

In article <6824@sdcc6.ucsd.edu>, pa1409@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Steven
Haehnichen) writes:
> In article <90031.145324CEK102@PSUVM.BITNET> CEK102@psuvm.psu.edu writes:

[ Deleted stuff ..... ]

> Energizer and Duracell make N size (sometimes labeled "pager" size)

BE CAREFUL!!!!  A lot of pagers use 6 volt batteries that are
practically the same size as N-cells.
I don't know of too many HP28's that like to eat 18 volts.  Check the
package for voltage (1.5 only!)

> In general, I would stay as far away as possible from anything
> Radio Shack sells.  (notice the very negative personal bias :)

Yeah, lets hear it !!!!

Robert
robert@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu

mr@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (mark) (02/07/90)

In article <6824@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> pa1409@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Steven Haehnichen) writes:
# In article <90031.145324CEK102@PSUVM.BITNET> CEK102@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
#
# >     Could someone please tell me of a place where I could purchase
# >batteries for the hp28s.  I have visited Radio Shack, but was not
# >impressed with their batteries.
#
# Some time ago, Radio Shack had their N cells on sale for for half
# . . .
# Steve.
# shaehnichen@ucsd.edu

Does the HP28S have rechargeable batteries ???

mark
mr@homxa.att.com

pa1409@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Steven Haehnichen) (02/07/90)

In article <3998@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> robert@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu (Robert Thompson) writes:
>In article <6824@sdcc6.ucsd.edu>, pa1409@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Steven
>
>> Energizer and Duracell make N size (sometimes labeled "pager" size)
>
>BE CAREFUL!!!!  A lot of pagers use 6 volt batteries that are
>practically the same size as N-cells.
>I don't know of too many HP28's that like to eat 18 volts.  Check the
>package for voltage (1.5 only!)

Ack!  I'm terribly sorry.  I should have pointed that out.  None of
you would buy batteries without checking the voltage, would you??
I hope no one already ran out and stuffed 18V into their HP's.....

Whatever you do, DON'T ask the Radio Shack salesmen if you have the
right one!  (I saw one of those #&*^$ demons sell a poor ignorant
woman a pack of DSDD diskettes to go feed to her AT after she told
him that she knew it had a high-density drive!  Makes my blood
boil...)

Steve.
shaehnichen@ucsd.edu

ridges@blake.acs.washington.edu (ryan ridges) (02/07/90)

...asked a guy at Radio Shack for a 5K pot; he looked all over the wall,
rubbed his chin, looked me straight in the eye and said, "Gee I didn't
know they made resistors with RAM."

malloy@nprdc.arpa (Sean Malloy) (02/07/90)

In article <7960@cbnewsh.ATT.COM> mr@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (mark) writes:

>Does the HP28S have rechargeable batteries ???

Not in and of itself; I believe that HP is shipping them with Kodak
Supralife alkaline batteries. However, NiCd N cells are available; one
place where I have seen them advertised is in the catalog that EduCalc
puts out (and since the perversity of the universe tends to a maximum,
I took my EduCalc catalog home, so I don't have the address). I
believe that a set of four NiCd N cells and a recharger go for
something in the neighborhood of $20-$30.

                                              |Applications programming is a
 Sean Malloy                                  |race between software engineers,
 Navy Personnel Research & Development Center |who strive to produce idiot-proof
 San Diego, CA 92152-6800                     |programs, and the Universe, which
 malloy@nprdc.navy.mil                        |strives to produce bigger idiots.

daver@guille.ECE.ORST.EDU (Dave Rabinowitz) (02/08/90)

In article <7960@cbnewsh.ATT.COM> mr@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (mark) writes:
>Does the HP28S have rechargeable batteries ???

The HP28S uses N cells.  Rechargeable N cells are available, but ordinary
alkaline batteries last so long (typically more than 3 times as long as a
single charge on NiCad rechargeables, as much as 10 times as long if the
calculator is lightly used) that rechargeables are probably not worth the
cost or extra effort involved.

ge@kunivv1.sci.kun.nl (Ge' Weijers) (02/20/90)

pa1409@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Steven Haehnichen) writes:

>In general, I would stay as far away as possible from anything
>Radio Shack sells.  (notice the very negative personal bias :)

I tend to agree more and more. I needed a voltage regulator IC, an
LM317T for those who want to know everything. RS list price overhere
fl.5,50 . A normal electronics shop carries them for fl.1,50 .
(1$ = fl.2,00)
This is ridiculous. The only difference was the blister-pack. So you pay
about $2.00 for some plastic and cardboard. RS usually is the last shop
I visit. I make an exception for one type of cooling fan they sell. It is
ideal for making Macintosh IIx-es less noisy.

I use the same batteries for a portable walkman-like radio, an Aiwa.
Duracell/Kodak certainly last longer. Everready is not common overhere.
Other common brands overhere are Varta and Ucar (Union Carbide, remember Bhopal).
Any experiences?

Ge' Weijers

Ge' Weijers                                    Internet/UUCP: ge@cs.kun.nl
Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science,   (uunet.uu.net!cs.kun.nl!ge)
University of Nijmegen, Toernooiveld 1
6525 ED Nijmegen, the Netherlands              tel. +3180612483 (UTC-2)

ESH101@psuvm.psu.edu (Eric Hvozda) (02/22/90)

I own a HP11C, HP16C, and (believe it or not) a HP 25.  The HP 25 is the oldest
and uses (yes! it still works!) rechargeable NiCads, but it also had a charger
to go with it.  It seems with time that the NiCads gave way to Silver Oxide
batteries.  Both my 11C and 16C use them.  Once I had to replace the cells in
the 11C (*much* easier that 28S).  I made the mistake of using Alkalines.
They died within a few days.  Then I noticed that the owners manual recommended
Silver Oxides.  I used them and have never had a problem yet.

Question:  Obviously NiCads are NOT the answer for the HP28S.  Has anyone
           thought about Silver Oxides??

All responses appreciated.

Eric Hvozda
ESH101@PSUVM
HVOZDA@MATH.PSU.EDU

pearlman@dinghy.cis.ohio-state.edu (Andrew Pearlman) (03/06/90)

My hp28S has an annoying tendency to lose all its memory about a week after
changing the batteries.  The 3 times that it happened, I was using Eveready.
The Kodak batteries lasted a long time, but since then, I have been needing
to change the batteries on a regular basis.

A) Could it be a problem with the calculator?
B) Is there an easier way of testing N-cell batteries and how does one go
about it other than sticking them in the HP?
C) Does anyone in Columbus know a good place to get Kodak batteries?

Please send Email

Andy Pearlman

mdchewni@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Mark D. Chewning) (03/12/90)

I am a relatively new HP-28S user, and have used some of the programs that
everyone has been sending onto the net.  The green Radio Shack batteries that
everyone has been talking about is why they are bad.  In the HP manual, they
ask for ALKALINE batteries.  The green batteries are not.  Get the alkaline
ones from Radio Shack (23-023) come in packs of 2 for $1.59.
   You might think this is crazy, but the reason I know this is because I work
for "The Technology Store"!!  And a HP-28S user, I am waiting for the flames to
start in on me.

Mark Chewning
The sig is not ready yet.

madler@tybalt.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) (03/12/90)

I got alkaline Radio Shack batteries for my HP-28S, and I had frequent
Memory Lost occurences until I got some Kodak Supralife batteries.  I
believe others have reported similar short life problems with the Radio
Shack ALKALINES, so I would recommend staying away from them.  I didn't
even know they had non-alkaline N cells.

Mark Adler
madler@hamlet.caltech.edu