[comp.sys.handhelds] HP machine bugs

Jake-S@cup.portal.com (Jake G Schwartz) (03/10/90)

Sean Malloy reminds Bill Wickes not to forget the BENEFICIAL bugs in HP
products such as the bugs in the early HP41C's.

Sean, how can Bill forget them? He is the "Godfather" of HP41 Synthetic
Programming! <big smile>

   Jake Schwartz

malloy@nprdc.arpa (Sean Malloy) (03/13/90)

In article <27751@cup.portal.com> Jake-S@cup.portal.com (Jake G Schwartz) writes:
>Sean Malloy reminds Bill Wickes not to forget the BENEFICIAL bugs in HP
>products such as the bugs in the early HP41C's.

>Sean, how can Bill forget them? He is the "Godfather" of HP41 Synthetic
>Programming! <big smile>

The followup posting I made was not directed to Bill Wickes, but to
the readers of the newsgroup as a whole, some of whom may not have
owned an HP-41 back in the early days of using the bugs to dig into
the internals of the machine. HP doesn't get _all_ of its sales from
upgrades by existing customers (although it certainly has kept me:
HP-25 -> HP-41C -> HP-28C -> HP-28S -> HP48SX). There are undoubtedly
lots of people who never read the PPC Journal articles on the bugs and
internals of the HP-41C, or who never bought the PPC ROM and read its
manual, or read the other books on synthetic programming on the HP-41C.

Had I intended to remind Bill of the beneficial bugs, I would have
used the R)eply function in rn. @BEGIN(smiley) Obviously, you believe
that I have no concern over wasting the net's bandwidth, and so would
_post_ a message intended for only one person. @END(smiley)

 Sean Malloy                                  | ". . . They always have an air
 Navy Personnel Research & Development Center | of cheap melodrama about them."
 San Diego, CA 92152-6800                     | "You will find, my dear, that
 malloy@nprdc.navy.mil                        | _true_ melodrama _never_ comes