[comp.sys.handhelds] Invigilators Beware

daniel@rosevax.Rosemount.COM (The Amazing Daniel Winker) (03/08/90)

In article <6723@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt1246c@prism.gatech.EDU (Warren Furlow) writes:
>I thought of this also and tested it with my HP-48 and my friends HP-48.
>They would not work past about three inchs.  I wonder if HP did this on
>purpose?  I will really get excited about HP IR when it can generate TV
>remote signals...
>
>Warren Furlow

I called "Calculator Support" at HP (they were very busy today,
imagine), and the guy there told me about how they're only rated to
transmit 2 inches to another HP-48.  But, what's to say that they're
not just built to be weak on the receiving end.  Maybe they transmit
just fine and COULD do the remote signals stuff.

Just a thought.

lorenh@hpcvra.CV.HP.COM (Loren Heisey) (03/09/90)

daniel@rosevax.Rosemount.COM (The Amazing Daniel Winker) writes:
>In article <6723@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt1246c@prism.gatech.EDU (Warren Furlow) writes:
>>I thought of this also and tested it with my HP-48 and my friends HP-48.
>>They would not work past about three inchs.  I wonder if HP did this on
>>purpose?  I will really get excited about HP IR when it can generate TV
>>remote signals...
>
>I called "Calculator Support" at HP (they were very busy today,
>imagine), and the guy there told me about how they're only rated to
>transmit 2 inches to another HP-48.  But, what's to say that they're
>not just built to be weak on the receiving end.  Maybe they transmit
>just fine and COULD do the remote signals stuff.

The maximum transmitting distance for the IR printer is rated at 18
inches though it generally will work up to a few feet. The transmitter was
purposely limited to reduce the potential problem where one individual's
calculator might interfere with someone else's printer nearby.

alonzo@microsoft.UUCP (Alonzo GARIEPY) (03/14/90)

In article <8685@rosevax.Rosemount.COM> daniel@rosevax.UUCP (The Amazing Daniel Winker) writes:
> I called "Calculator Support" at HP (they were very busy today,
> imagine), and the guy there told me about how they're only rated to
> transmit 2 inches to another HP-48.  But, what's to say that they're
> not just built to be weak on the receiving end.  Maybe they transmit
> just fine and COULD do the remote signals stuff.

My HP 48 will print quite a distance to an HP IR printer, but can only
receive from an HP 28 or another HP 48 over an extremely restricted
distance.  Your guess would appear to be correct.  HP has cleverly
prevented exam cheating, but we may live to regret it.

For the person asking about transferring data from the 28 to the 48,
a program to do this is included on the Serial Interface Kit disk.
The programs on this disk are copyrighted and should not be posted.
You can obtain this disk, along with a serial cable, for $60.

alonzo