[comp.sys.handhelds] HP48SX impressions

steele@EE.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Richard A. Steele) (03/11/90)

Several people have already posted the specs and such for the 48sx --
I thought I'd share some impressions I've formed while using it the
last week or so:

1.  I love UNITS objects.  This is a _big_ improvement over the 28C/S
    unit conversion.  In all honesty, this is perhaps the single biggest
    (software) improvment for my needs over the 28C/S -- very handy.

2.  Improved complex numbers representation -- polar representation has
    been added, which helps us EEs immeasurably.  The real and imaginary
    parts can also be symbolic, though there's a bug when you try to
    do this in polar form (Euler is turning in his grave).

3.  The plotting functions have been well integrated with the ALGEBRA
    and CALCULUS functions.  It's much easier to find solutions to
    problems rather than trying to figure out how to use the
    calculator.  After a year of use, I _still_ can never figure out
    the numeric integration on the 28C/S without looking it up.
    With the 48SX, just mark the box and press AREA; the integration is
    done "behind the scenes."

4.  Subdirectories are easier to use, thanks to UP and HOME functions
    on the keyboard.  A list can also specify the desired directory:
    { HOME LANGUAGE ADA } EVAL will move to ADA within the LANGUAGE
    subdirectory.  (I bet most of you missed Part 6:  "Programming
    the HP 48SX in ADA. :-) )

5.  The fully customizable keyboard really opens up the system; there
    are even little slots around the edges of the keyboard for an overlay.
    A nice little inventory system or such could be made with this
    bugger (can _you_ say "light pen?").

6.  The custom menus have been improved.  Especially with the custom
    keyboard, I can forsee some very interesting stuff coming.  One
    that comes to mind is changing the built-in menus.  Don't like the
    order the sofkeys are listed?  Change them.  How about add your own
    functions to the built-in menus; no problem.  Neat.

7.  It appears that HP listens to this group (that you, Bill?); many
    of the wishes and discoveries I've seen in this group are now
    built in:  OFF, TIME functions, a checksum routine (BYTES), much
    improved graphics routines (PIXON, PIXOFF), etc.  Unfortunatley,
    things are not all perfect:

       I'm extremely dissapointed with the binary number operations.  Still
       no signed (1's and 2's complement) binary arithmetic, and entering
       the buggers is a pain (the binary objects are exactly like the
       28C/S).  If nothing else, couldn't a separate environment me provided
       so that we don't have to enter the numbers as objects?

       Same dissapointment about the manual (I know others have posted
       similar feelings).  The paper feels rough and flimsy, there
       are many typos, and the information is not well placed.  Users of
       the HP28C/S might not have difficulties, but others definately will.
       A calculator with this power deserves better.

       Links to objects would be nice, so that a single object could be
       shown in more than one menu at a time.  This would come in
       especially handy for program objects, since a change in any
       reference would change all of them.  It's terrible to need, say,
       three copies of BESSEL in separate directories when only one is
       really needed.

       Currently, objects are found by searching the currect directory,
       then searching it's parent, etc. on up until the object is found.
       The obvious extension would be to provide a search path so that
       objects can be placed wherever you want.

       I havn't been able to find the equivalent of the HP28C/S CATALOG
       command, and I think I'm going to miss it.  There is a REVIEW
       (i.e. press REVIEW and it tell you what the objects listed in
       the softkeys are; for variables, it lists their contents.)  This
       is especially a problem with the 48SX, since I _know_ I'll have
       trouble with some of these triple-shifted keys (let's see -- the
       Ohmega is left-shift, alpha, E.  No, no.  It's....).  How about a
       HELP key that lists the purpose of a key (and its shifted cousins).

I hope I havn't sounded too negative; that's not my intention.  The HP48SX
is an _excellent_ calculator and I'd love to see it get better.  Many
of the ideas I've listed above can be remedied (at least partially) using
the plug-in ROMs.

Richard A. Steele        |  Standards are wonderful...there are so many
Purdue University        |  to choose from.         -Andy Tanenbaum
steele@en.ecn.purdue.edu |

Disclaimer:  I'm just an undergrad, so I really don't know what I'm
	     talking about...

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (03/12/90)

In article <9003110211.AA03686@en.ecn.purdue.edu> steele@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Richard A. Steele) writes:
[...]
:       Links to objects would be nice, so that a single object could be
:       shown in more than one menu at a time.  This would come in
:       especially handy for program objects, since a change in any
:       reference would change all of them.  It's terrible to need, say,
:       three copies of BESSEL in separate directories when only one is
:       really needed.

That would be handy, but one really nice feature is the "Last menu"
command.  If you have to move to another menu to find something, you can punch
that key, and it takes you back to the last menu you were using.

--Mike

steele@EE.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Richard A. Steele) (03/12/90)

In article <1825@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> mjkobb@media-lab.media.mit.edu (Michael J Kobb) writes:
>In article <9003110211.AA03686@en.ecn.purdue.edu> steele@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Richard A. Steele) writes (that's me!):
>[...]
>:       Links to objects would be nice, so that a single object could be
>:       shown in more than one menu at a time.  This would come in
>:       especially handy for program objects, since a change in any
>:       reference would change all of them.  It's terrible to need, say,
>:       three copies of BESSEL in separate directories when only one is
>:       really needed.
>
>That would be handy, but one really nice feature is the "Last menu"
>command.  If you have to move to another menu to find something, you can punch
>that key, and it takes you back to the last menu you were using.
>

>--Mike

I agree, the Last menu is very nice when rooting around the built-in menus
of the HP48SX, but it doesn't do anything with the directory structure.
And perhaps you missed my point:  just getting to the object isn't the
problem -- it's the necessity of storing more than one copy of the same
object in separate (and totally unrelated) directories.

For example, suppose I created a wonderful program like SPICE for my
HP that requires the function BESSEL.  I also have another analysis
program in another directory that also requires the same BESSEL function.
In other words, I have the following directory structure (pardon me
while I switch to VT100 graphics mode):

				HOME

                  -----------------------------
                  |                            |
		SPICE	 	  	    ANALIZE
                  |                            |
          -----------------               ------------
	  |               |               |          |
	BESSEL		HPSPICE		BESSEL	  HPANALIZE

I have two of the same functions floating around my calculator taking up
valuable RAM; I would also have to change every version of this function
for bug fixes, revisions, etc.

The obvious solution would be to put the function BESSEL in the HOME directory
since the HP searches the HOME directory by default trying to find the
program.  This might not always be a good solution, though:  I'd end up
cluttering my HOME directory with lots of little programs lying about.

This of course brings me to one of my _other_ suggestions:  a search path
that can specify where the HP "looks" for its object references.

Richard A. Steele        |  Standards are wonderful...there are so many
Purdue University        |  to choose from.         -Andy Tanenbaum
steele@en.ecn.purdue.edu |

Disclaimer:  I'm just an undergrad, so I really don't know what I'm
	     talking about...

lishka@uwslh.slh.wisc.edu (Chris Lishka (brain-fried after too much hacking) ) (03/16/90)

You know, with all of the discussion of multiple links to files and a
"PATH" function to say where to find globally accessible programs, the
directory structure would soon become remarkably similar to the Unix
directory layout.  Next people will be asking for symbolic links and
modes.

Personally, I am very pleased with the directory layout, and I can
easily live with the calculator searching the current path for
programs.  And putting the UP and HOME functions on a key is a great
idea.  Thanks, HP!

					.oO Chris Oo.
--
Christopher Lishka 608-262-4485  "Somebody said to me, `But the Beatles were
Wisconsin State Lab. of Hygiene  antimaterialistic.'  That's a huge myth.  John

rayde@hpcvia.CV.HP.COM (ray_depew) (03/20/90)

>  steele@EE.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Richard A. Steele)
>  Date: Sat, 10 Mar 90 18:11:45 PST

>  I'm extremely dissapointed with the binary number operations.  Still
>  no signed (1's and 2's complement) binary arithmetic, and entering
>  the buggers is a pain (the binary objects are exactly like the

You're in luck!  You can get signed (2's complement) binary numbers, and
they work in add/subtract/multiply.  I think divide works too,
but my limited experience with it hasn't been all that exciting.

To get a negative binary integer, for example, negative #1d, DON'T press

# 1 [+/-] [ENTER]

Instead, press

# 1 [ENTER] [+/-]

and you will see #18446744073709551615d.  The HP-48SX sees #1d internally
as 63 zeroes and a one.  When you press [+/-], the HP-48SX changes all teh
ones to zeroes and all the zeroes to ones, and adds 1 to the result.  That's
the 2's complement.  So instead of 63 zeroes and a one, you have 64 ones, or
#18...d, or #FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFFh.

>  How about a
>  HELP key that lists the purpose of a key (and its shifted cousins).

The Serial Kit disk contains a program, USAG, which works well as a HELP
command.  I think USAG can be downloaded from the HP BBS, too.

Ray Depew
HP InkJet Components Operation
"An original idea?  How quaint!"