[comp.sys.handhelds] HP48sx software distribution question

pa1409@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Steven Haehnichen) (03/16/90)

    It sounds like there are several very useful utilities included in
the serial cable software pack that don't seem to be available
elsewhere.
    What is HP's policy on distributing these helpful programs?  I
assume they are copyrighted, but is one allowed to
post/transmit/copy or otherwise give these programs freely, or
are they available soley from HP.

Last I heard, the Serial Kits still weren't available from ElecTek.
So.... where is everyone getting the spiffy 48sx PC utilities
from?!  Is the serial kit now available for purchase anywhere?

Inquiring minds HAVE to know.

Steve.
shaehnichen@ucsd.edu, etc..

prestonb@hpcvra.CV.HP.COM (Preston Brown) (03/20/90)

>Last I heard, the Serial Kits still weren't available from ElecTek.
>So.... where is everyone getting the spiffy 48sx PC utilities
>from?!  Is the serial kit now available for purchase anywhere?

The utilities provided on the PC-LINK have been released to the
public domain.  HP still retains the copyright but they may be
distributed freely.  You can get copies off the HP bulletin board
at (503) 750-4448

Preston

davin@me.utoronto.ca (Davin Yap) (03/20/90)

prestonb@hpcvra.CV.HP.COM (Preston Brown) writes:
>The utilities provided on the PC-LINK have been released to the
>public domain.  HP still retains the copyright but they may be
>distributed freely.  You can get copies off the HP bulletin board
>at (503) 750-4448

Can someone in the 503 Area Code please make these available via anon ftp
to save those of us from Canada and Europe nontrivial long-distance
charges.

Thanks, Davin
--

rayde@hpcvia.CV.HP.COM (ray_depew) (03/20/90)

The programs on the Serial Interface Kit disk are on HP's  BBS.  I don't
think the phone # is (503)750-4448.

I'm only a HP-48SX user like you, but I understand that you're free to
download what you want from the BBS.

Ray Depew
HP InkJet Components Operation

jmunkki@kampi.hut.fi (Juri Munkki) (03/20/90)

In <21580034@hpcvra.CV.HP.COM> prestonb@hpcvra.CV.HP.COM (Preston Brown) writes:
>>Last I heard, the Serial Kits still weren't available from ElecTek.
>>So.... where is everyone getting the spiffy 48sx PC utilities
>>from?!  Is the serial kit now available for purchase anywhere?
>
>The utilities provided on the PC-LINK have been released to the
>public domain.  HP still retains the copyright but they may be
>distributed freely.  You can get copies off the HP bulletin board
>at (503) 750-4448

I think they should be posted here as uuencoded binaries. Does anyone disagree?
Are these exactly the same utilities that come with the Macintosh kit?

  / Juri Munkki	    /  Helsinki University of Technology   /  Wind  /   HP S /
 / jmunkki@hut.fi  /  Computing Center Macintosh Support  /  Surf  /   48 X /