[comp.sys.handhelds] Mailordering the HP48sx

efinley%ug.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Elliott Finley) (03/10/90)

Well, the lowest price that I've heard of for the hp48sx is $149 from
ElekTek.  Does anyone have ElekTek's phone number?  Please post it
publicly as I'm sure there are alot of people that would like to know.
"People should be beat up for stating their beliefs."  - They Might Be Giants
This is to certify and promulgate American Family Publisher's intent to award
 TWENTY MILLION DOLLARS to PETE ASHDOWN!  Yippee!  UseNet is on me everyone!
[pete@slack.uucp]       [...utah-cs!i-core!slack!pete]        [slack=AMIGA!!]

mjkobb@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael J Kobb) (03/10/90)

In article <1990Mar9.175617.21192@hellgate.utah.edu> efinley%ug.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Elliott Finley) writes:

>Well, the lowest price that I've heard of for the hp48sx is $149 from
>ElekTek.

I believe that that's $249.  $149 would be a 57% discount from list, which
sounds a bit more than likely.  Sorry, I don't have their number...

--Mike

Jake-S@cup.portal.com (Jake G Schwartz) (03/11/90)

For those who need it, ElekTek's number is 800-621-1269.
Make sure they have units in stock.

sorc@carina.unm.edu (Paul Caskey) (03/11/90)

On 10 Mar 90 00:56:17 GMT,
efinley%ug.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Elliott Finley) said:

Elliott> Well, the lowest price that I've heard of for the hp48sx is $149 from
Elliott> ElekTek.  Does anyone have ElekTek's phone number?  Please post it
Elliott> publicly as I'm sure there are alot of people that would like to know.

If ElekTek has the hp48sx for $149, I'll give you $50 for their phone number.

--
/*********/
     Paul Caskey

efinley%ug.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Elliott Finley) (03/11/90)

sorc@carina.unm.edu (Paul Caskey) writes:

>On 10 Mar 90 00:56:17 GMT,
>efinley%ug.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Elliott Finley) said:
>
>Elliott> Well, the lowest price that I've heard of for the hp48sx is $149 from
>Elliott> ElekTek.  Does anyone have ElekTek's phone number?  Please post it
>Elliott> publicly as I'm sure there are alot of people that would like to know.
>
>If ElekTek has the hp48sx for $149, I'll give you $50 for their phone number.

Well, I have ElecTek's phone number, and I ordered my hp48sx today, and
it wasn't for $249....

            Elliot

horlache@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de (Ullrich Horlacher) (03/13/90)

sorc@carina.unm.edu (Paul Caskey) writes:

>On 10 Mar 90 00:56:17 GMT,
>efinley%ug.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Elliott Finley) said:

>Elliott> Well, the lowest price that I've heard of for the hp48sx is $149 from
>Elliott> ElekTek.  Does anyone have ElekTek's phone number?  Please post it
>Elliott> publicly as I'm sure there are alot of people that would like to know.

>If ElekTek has the hp48sx for $149, I'll give you $50 for their phone number.

Could anyone please tell me the postal address of ElekTek?

           thanx,   Ulli

sorc@carina.unm.edu (Paul Caskey) (03/13/90)

On 12 Mar 90 20:10:45 GMT,
horlache@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de (Ullrich Horlacher) said:

>On 10 Mar 90 00:56:17 GMT,
>efinley%ug.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Elliott Finley) said:

>Elliott> Well, the lowest price that I've heard of for the hp48sx is $149 from
>Elliott> ElekTek.  Does anyone have ElekTek's phone number?  Please post it
>Elliott> publicly as I'm sure there are alot of people that would like to know.

Paul> If ElekTek has the hp48sx for $149, I'll give you $50 for their
Paul> phone number.

Ullrich> Could anyone please tell me the postal address of ElekTek?

First of all, I called ElekTek myself, and they are indeed selling the
hp48sx for $249 (not a ridiculous $149), so my money is safe, despite
Ron Bannon's attempt to claim otherwise by mail.  However, Ron did
give me ElekTek's address, so I'll pass that on:

Elek-Tek
7350 North Linder Avenue
Department C1133
Skokie, Illinois  60077-9833

800-621-1269
--
/*********/

nevin1@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (nevin.j.liber) (03/15/90)

In article <1990Mar9.175617.21192@hellgate.utah.edu> efinley%ug.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Elliott Finley) writes:

>Well, the lowest price that I've heard of for the hp48sx is $149 from
>ElekTek.  Does anyone have ElekTek's phone number?

(The price is probably $249).  I don't know if they have a toll-free
number yet, but their local phone number is (708) 677-7660 (for those
of you who have called them before, the area code changed last
November).  I plan on driving there after work to be awed by this
calculator.

[BTW, I will offer $50 for a used HP-28S.  With the HP-48SX out, it
just isn't worth any more than that.]
--
 _ __	NEVIN ":-)" LIBER  nevin1@ihlpb.ATT.COM  (708) 979-4751  IH 4J-323
' )  )			 "We are almost into the '90s; *nothing* is weird."

jon@ireland.uucp (Jon Doran) (03/21/90)

I wasn't planning on flaming Elek-Tek, until I see all these postings asking
for Elek-Tek's phone number.  This is, I'm afraid, too much for me to deal
with in silence.  So, if you're an Elek-Tek fan hit 'n' now...

Still with me?  Good.  When I ordered my 48sx from Elek-Tek they told me they
had them in stock, I took this to mean that they would ship me one overnight.
As it turned out they had one in the warehouse, but they sold it the week
before to some guy in Toledo.  Four days later (I paid for overnight delivery
mind you) I received a box in the mail containing an HP41 IR printer interface
and an AC adapter for a ThinkJet printer.

I called them up and complained about this, and was asked to return the
printer interface and AC adapter.  When they received it they would ship
me my 48sx, but they didn't have one in stock.  The other two items I
had ordered had never been in stock, and wouldn't be for another two to
three weeks.  I had to work to convince them that the 48sx even existed.

I recall dealing with Elec-Tek 8 years ago, things went about the same.
I would place an order for something and it would arrive 3 or 4 months later;
I had hoped that things would have changed.  In my opinion Elek-Tek survives
because there are enough people who want to save $25 and don't mind waiting
for their calculators.  If that describes you, by all means deal with them,
you'll get your 48sx eventually.  Personally I value my time enough that I
would rather deal with a company who charges me a little more but delivers
what I order within a reasonable time (and who admits it when they don't have
something in stock).

Jon

CRAZYLEE@VTVM1.CC.VT.EDU (Lee Hart) (03/21/90)

That's the case, unfortuantely, for Elek-Tek unless they really have it
in stock and available to ship...  I've dealt with them in the past w/o
any problems, but I have heard of others with similar problems...